PDA

View Full Version : Welsh supermarket bans shopping in pyjamas!

Real Life Raider
29-01-10, 01:22
This is ridiculous! If I want to go shopping in my PJs and bare feet I should be allowed to!

What harm are these night-clad customers doing to society to be persecuted thus?

Have we time-slipped back to Victorian standards?

FULL STORY (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100128/tod-welsh-supermarket-bans-shopping-in-p-6058bda.html)

Phys
29-01-10, 01:29
MY friend showed me this earlier in the day. Excellent in my opinion :tmb:

Nothing worse than seeing women in pyjamas simply because they can't be arsed to make an effort and slip on some jeans or trousers.

Shauni
29-01-10, 01:32
lol! They should do this for highschools too. Half the girls in my school wore pajamas (the other half barely wore clothes at all though lol).

LightningRider
29-01-10, 01:46
My first though was "Thank God! Now, can the other countries start it too?" :D

knightgames
29-01-10, 02:02
This is ridiculous! If I want to go shopping in my PJs and bare feet I should be allowed to!

What harm are these night-clad customers doing to society to be persecuted thus?

FULL STORY (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100128/tod-welsh-supermarket-bans-shopping-in-p-6058bda.html)

Bare feet is a health issue. My question is why would one want to go out in PJs? Sorry, IMO that's the height of laziness.

irjudd
29-01-10, 02:12

You think that's bad? Where I live they have rules that you must wear shirts and shoes to stores. :( Pants are optional, but still it's not right. Since when are we in a communist regime?

Endow
29-01-10, 02:12

Quasimodo
29-01-10, 02:14
Why is it any lazier than a suit? I don't sleep in PJs, but I like wearing them.

There's only one solution:
http://18.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktopxzmBAY1qa8zoio1_500.jpg

Love2Raid
29-01-10, 02:24
I can't understand that anyone would go to the supermarket in their pyjamas, or is that just me? I have never seen it and we don't have that ban here.

Anyway, it is a bit strange since I see no possible harm in them, but if that's the way they want it then so be it.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-01-10, 02:27

Give me a break.... There is a vast void between Victorian garb & pajamas... It's about self-respect mostly, as society is quickly growing too lazy to do anything with dignity anymore.

spikejones
29-01-10, 02:31
^ I think RLR was saying that its a very "victorian" attitude to frown upon the wearing of pajamas in public, not that they were comparing pajamas to victorian dress.

Endow
29-01-10, 02:34

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-01-10, 02:38
^ I think RLR was saying that its a very "victorian" attitude to frown upon the wearing of pajamas in public, not that they were comparing pajamas to victorian dress.

The premise is the same. I could walk out of the house looking like a slob if I wanted to, but I'd prefer to carry myself with dignity. It doesn't mean I have to get suited up to the point of absurdity, just look presentable and like I give a damn about myself.

I'm marginal to anything pop culture these days. You'll have to excuse me.

Sgt BOMBULOUS : Since when is being lazy a crime? While you're at it, cast me in hell.

Well do if you believe in hell, sloth might be sufficient to get you there ;)

spikejones
29-01-10, 02:40
to each their own i guess. I have no one to impress, and it matters not to me what the guy and gal standing next to me think of how I dress. I wear pajama bottoms to the corner store on many occasions.

Shauni
29-01-10, 02:57
PJs that look like gym or yoga clothes don't bother me, but some people have like neon colored pajamas with cartoon character on it and it really sticks out :vlol:

AmericanAssassin
29-01-10, 03:00
Thank God. It looks so trashy when people do that. :p

Love2Raid
29-01-10, 03:03
Now be completely honest with me. If you see someone wearing pyjamas in public, what's the first thing that comes to the mind? To me it's laziness and self-neglect. I'm sorry, but that just the way it is. I don't personally know the person, so it's a first impression.

People were complaining about it, so I don't think it happened just once in a while. It may seem a bit severe, but they have to think about their costumers.

Trigger_happy
29-01-10, 03:42
What do you mean, I can't wear my sleeping thong in public?!

I don't really see the point in this: its not like PJs are offensive. If people want to go out in public wearing them, why shouldn't they? Its like banning people whose fashion sense differed from your own.

Spong
29-01-10, 03:43
People in PJs are a menace to society.

Kapu
29-01-10, 04:37
It is kind of lazy to wear your pajamas out in public, I guess, but I don't think the store banned it because they were thinking 'LAZY PEOPLE CAN'T SHOP HERE!' In the article it does say that customers said they felt awkward shopping around other people in their PJs, so now the store says 'sorry guys, you have to wear pants if you wanna shop here...'

I don't see this as a big issue at all. It's kind of funny to see people argue over it, actually. :p

spikejones
29-01-10, 04:41
People in PJs are a menace to society.

good thing i don't use em as such. Me sleep in my birthday suit :D

seriously??? how can pajama's be that bad?

BtoFu
29-01-10, 05:26
Man if I get a hankerin' for some Ben and Jerry's at 4am, jump in the car and hit up the 24 hour Asda you better knowwww no ban is gonna stop me hitting the dairy aisle in my tartan housecoat, pipe and slippers.

marla_biggs
29-01-10, 09:49
Who actually goes shopping in their pyjamas? :confused:

ShadyCroft
29-01-10, 09:55
^ a lot of people do, and I don't see any big deal about it. I don't do it myself, but I couldn't care less if someone came shopping in their PJs.
The closest thing I wear outside that looks like PJ is the sports wear.

Cochrane
29-01-10, 10:00
I don't see anything wrong with banning it, but why is it something that needs banning in the first place? Do people really go shopping pyjamas!? I mean, come onů

Dustie
29-01-10, 10:06
This is funny :p Nobody does it here, if anyone ever did, they'd became a laughing stock instantly. There are million types of pyjamas out there, so it's a bit hard to chart them or something, but it does seem like a strange thing to do. If you have enough will to go all the way to a store and do shopping, why not throw some proper clothing on yourself? Like others have said, it's a matter of giving a damn about yourself.

On the other hand, it's one thing when one honestly prefers the look of pyjamas as clothing, but another when people wear them because they aren't bothered to look good in public.

shadow_fire
29-01-10, 10:09

Hello, I do :wve:

Its not that big of a deal really. PJ are just another form of clothes lols
I go up the main street all the time, and do my grocery shopping in my PJ's. though mine could kinda pass as clothes lols, since my PJ pants are all dark colours and I normally wear a t-shirt or a camasole (spelling I know) top.

Actually I dont give a toss about self presentation or whatever you call it.

I remember I had to go pick up something in town at 9am and I was down there, in my PJ's and my hair looking like a birds nest :p....seriously.

I think its rediculous really banning it. But hey, its not effecting me, so why should I moan about it :p

tomblover
29-01-10, 11:09
My exact thoughts. :confused:

tonyme
29-01-10, 11:26
I've never seen anyone shopping in pyjamas :eek:

disneyprincess20
29-01-10, 11:27

Do people really go shopping pyjamas!? I mean, come onů

I have done, in the past. We were having a slumber party and we ran out of drink. Five girls ran aound the shop in their PJ's, the shop assistants loved it!

I can see why this has happened, it's not really news worthy though, I don't know why the BBC are reporting it.

marla_biggs
29-01-10, 11:39
Doesn't it get cold wandering around outside in pyjamas?

disneyprincess20
29-01-10, 11:43
Doesn't it get cold wandering around outside in pyjamas?

That depends on your pyjamas. I tend to wear (and was wearing when we went out) wolly long bottoms, comfy slippers, a strappy top and a big dressing gown over the top. In bed, it's just the bottoms and the strappy top. Obviously, some people who sleep in tiny pyjamas would be cold!

Aranara
29-01-10, 11:48
I personally have nothing against shopping in Pyjamas :p
Mine are really comfy :D But it's too cold outside to go shopping in pyjamas right now!

Rai
29-01-10, 11:56
Why would someone wear PJs to a shop and barefoot? I dont see the point of a complete ban, but I can see that bare feet could be a health and safety issue. Also what if the PJ bottoms slipped down a little and the person isn't wearing underwear. Eww :p

tonyme
29-01-10, 11:58
Next time I'm going grocery shopping I'm wearing my ducky slippers :whi:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/DSC01296f.jpg

and they quack.

iraidt
29-01-10, 12:25
The slippers are sooo cuuteee!!

amore-guy
29-01-10, 12:33
LOL TONY:D:D:tea::tea::jmp::cln: Those are very CUTE:cln::ton::p:D:D
I want them:D:D:p:D:tea::D:D

tonyme
29-01-10, 13:05
:p:p

interstellardave
29-01-10, 13:11
lol! They should do this for highschools too. Half the girls in my school wore pajamas (the other half barely wore clothes at all though lol).

What the hell high school did you go to? I can understand not having a strict dress code... but no standards at all (apparently)?!

Encore
29-01-10, 13:27
:eek:

...I'm more shocked at knowing that people go out in their pijamas... Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, certainly not at the level that it would require a ban! :eek:

I would never do it myself, that's embarassing :o

Dennis's Mom
29-01-10, 13:29
It's certainly within Tesco's rights to have standards for its shoppers. Those that don't like it can take their custom elsewhere.

Although how hard is it to throw on some sweatpants? Going to the store in your pajamas is sort of like saying "to hell with everything."

Archetype
29-01-10, 13:30
Would love to shop in pajamas. Hardly see the point in banning them, surely people are allowed to wear what they want? Pajamas are comfortable, people wear whats comfortable. A load of fuss over nothing in my opinion...

interstellardave
29-01-10, 13:51
It's certainly within Tesco's rights to have standards for its shoppers. Those that don't like it can take their custom elsewhere.

Although how hard is it to throw on some sweatpants? Going to the store in your pajamas is sort of like saying "to hell with everything."

The problem is that sweatpants used to be like saying "to hell with everything"... so it shows how much the bar gets lowered over time!

Encore
29-01-10, 13:58
I just think it's embarassing because pijamas are part of your personal life when you're confortable in your private home. I don't think this has anything to do with "bar lowering". :confused:

Dennis's Mom
29-01-10, 14:02
The problem is that sweatpants used to be like saying "to hell with everything"... so it shows how much the bar gets lowered over time!

Absolutely. Not so long ago people wouldn't leave the house without a hat.

I just think it's embarassing because pijamas are part of your personal life when you're confortable in your private home. I don't think this has anything to do with "bar lowering". :confused:

Agreed. I mean, a bra and panties doesn't necessarily reveal more than a bikini, but one is considered far more unacceptable than the other in public.

Although I'm sure both are not allowed in Tesco. :D

Ada the Mental
29-01-10, 14:20
I admit I did go to the corner store to quickly grab something in sleepwear once or twice, but I was wearing dark sweatpants and a t-shirt, like I always do at home, not actual PJs. I would never go out in public in PJ-looking PJs. No one ever does it here and you'd be total laughing stock.
And walking out barefoot? WTF? That's just unsanitary.

asherz
29-01-10, 15:33
Lmfao, wow now I've heard everything..

Trigger_happy
29-01-10, 15:36
And walking out barefoot? WTF? That's just unsanitary.

I can see why they'd make you wear shoes, in case you stand on glass and sue, but why PJ's? They're still clothes. If they're just banning ugly things, can we ban guys in skinny jeans- they creep me out. No man's legs should be that thin.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-01-10, 15:39
MY friend showed me this earlier in the day. Excellent in my opinion :tmb:

Nothing worse than seeing women in pyjamas simply because they can't be arsed to make an effort and slip on some jeans or trousers.

:tmb: Right on.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-01-10, 15:54
I wonder if they'd allow me to come into the store dressed as Grimace (still better than pajama's)...

Lemmie
29-01-10, 15:58
Sounds good. Pyjamas are for the house, not for public consumption.

Uzi master
29-01-10, 16:05
this reminds me how I had to make pjamas a couple months ago, but too many people seem to take this offensiveley or use offensive ways of supporting it, (at least from the first few pages) personaly, It's not a problem to me, a little weird but hey, freedome.

HappyShannon
29-01-10, 16:06
Isn't that good? :p
Who would want to wear their pyjamas when they're going shopping?
Even if it is late an night, that'll just make you cold :p

Dennis's Mom
29-01-10, 16:37
If they're just banning ugly things, can we ban guys in skinny jeans- they creep me out. No man's legs should be that thin.

Please, yes! My 12 year old is obsessed with them. :p

Ada the Mental
29-01-10, 16:44
I can see why they'd make you wear shoes, in case you stand on glass and sue, but why PJ's? They're still clothes. If they're just banning ugly things, can we ban guys in skinny jeans- they creep me out. No man's legs should be that thin.

Oh, I agree that the ban sounds extreme. I just find the idea of wearing PJs outside silly..
And ditto about skinny jeans on guys. They look so unmanly! :p

michaeldt
29-01-10, 17:52
I don't see whats wrong with wearing PJ's in a shop? :confused:
if you're tired in the middle of the night, forgot to get something from the shops, just go down there quickly in your PJ's if you've got them on.

coolaideonfire
29-01-10, 17:53
I don't think it's appropriate to be running around town in your night wear, but to pop round the corner to a convenience store I don't mind lol.

tombraiderluka
29-01-10, 17:59
Woo hoo, thank god people in serbia are into looking 'good' and don't come dressed like that. I'd rather see someone in their bra or undies and PJs

Kerrigan
29-01-10, 18:19
Woo hoo, thank god people in serbia are into looking 'good' and don't come dressed like that. I'd rather see someone in their bra or undies and PJs

You'd rather see a fit someone in their underwear, not just anyone. :p
I agree that the ban seems a bit extreme, it's not something you'd establish formally, it's usually an unwritten rule that makes people bother wearing decent things in public.

larson n natla
29-01-10, 18:28
All good stores should I would laugh as the girls got rejected at the entrance.

Rai
29-01-10, 18:46
I've decided to go to ASDA in my negligee. Do you think they'd mind? :p

xXhayleyroxXx
29-01-10, 19:02
I've decided to go to ASDA in my negligee. Do you think they'd mind? :p

lmao :p

i dont really see whats wrong with wearing pj's in shops - i mean i havnt done it but still.