PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P J.D. Salinger.

Catapharact
29-01-10, 02:19
The author of oh so famous "Catcher in the Rye" novel died at the age of 91.

The story. (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978020196&grpId=3659174697244816&nav=Groupspace)

Ironically enough, he ended up getting influenced by his anti-hero character Holden Caufield moreso then any other person.

Shauni
29-01-10, 02:25
I'm not sure who he is, but that's always sad when someone passes away :(

And wow 91, that's an age to be proud of! :)

Catapharact
29-01-10, 02:29
I'm not sure who he is

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/3d/9/AAAAArzSJrwAAAAAAD2Z6A.jpg

Shauni! How can you NOT know him?! His book "Catcher in the Rye" is a manditory read in most North American high schools. The Anti-Hero Holden Caufield is probably one of the most well knows literary characters in history!

Damn it! Lady Gaga and Britney Spears need to be eliminated.

thecentaur
29-01-10, 02:30
I read that novel last year for my English class. I was one of the few that actually enjoyed that book. Oddly enough, I felt like I could relate to Holden (though not specifically). R.I.P :(

Mr.Burns
29-01-10, 02:31
My sentiments exactly Cat. Great author.

NemesisxAngelus
29-01-10, 02:31
Catcher in the rye? That's absolutely one of the best books I've ever read! Rest in peace, J.D. Salinger. :(

Shark_Blade
29-01-10, 02:33
Saw it on BBC just now. His books sold over 60 million, and seems like a great American novelist.

Haven't read his work but now I'm curious.

Spong
29-01-10, 02:35
You pre-empted me Cat, I was gonna make a thread about this a couple of hours back. But I didn't because, seeing as it wasn't about Britney (or some other waste of space), I figured very few people would know who he was (much less care) :rolleyes:

RIP to one of the few people who actually influenced me in a good way during my childhood.

Love2Raid
29-01-10, 02:36
I have never read anything from him, but he is especially well-known in the United States I see. He sure has caused a big stir with that book. I'll pick it up some time, to see what people used to consider as 'harmful' in those days.

He has reached a respectable age, r.i.p.

spikejones
29-01-10, 02:37
His book "Catcher in the Rye" is a manditory
read in most North American high schools.
that must have lots to do with why I don't know him. my High School years (well half of them at any rate) were filled with total disregard to reading assignments. My sympathies though. If I did know him and like his work as much as Dr. Seuss I'd likely read his books over and over again after finding out he was dead.

LegendLost
29-01-10, 03:03
RIP, Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that I'll remember the rest of my life. Something about it was just truly amazing.

So... Now that he's gone though, I heard a movie was never made because he wouldn't sell the rights to any company? Anyone know how this works now that he's gone?

Shauni
29-01-10, 03:10
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/3d/9/AAAAArzSJrwAAAAAAD2Z6A.jpg

Shauni! How can you NOT know him?! His book "Catcher in the Rye" is a manditory read in most North American high schools. The Anti-Hero Holden Caufield is probably one of the most well knows literary characters in history!

I blame it on being homeschooled by a parent who didn't actually bother to teach me anything. Seriously lol O_O Maybe I'll look for it at my library if it's a must read classic. :)

TRenTIs
29-01-10, 03:25

Edit

ShadyCroft
29-01-10, 07:35
Rest in peace, J.D Salinger ! :(

I don't know him or know the book, but then again reading literature or English novels weren't concentrated on whether in English classes at school or from my parents.
I started reading and read on my own when I became friends with my half-Philippino friend of 10 years and British friend back in 7th grade.

Now I'm definitely interested and will check the book out. :)

young Lara Croft
29-01-10, 07:39
I read Catcher in the Rye and 9 Stories , I wanted to buy Franey and Zooey too
RIP J D Salinger :(

Muhammad
29-01-10, 07:40
Goodnight, Sweet Prince

snork
29-01-10, 18:14
To tell the truth, I had no idea he was still alive.
91 years old. well.

I liked some short stories and Franny and Zooey more than the Catcher in the Rye.
But I might never have stumbled into them, were it not for the Catcher in the Rye.

In the German translation I read first (maybe 15yo myself), the **** had been replaced by ____ and I remember I always wondered what strange word it was, that could have anyone (Holden) be upset so much. :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
29-01-10, 18:16
iv never heard of him but r.i.p

xMiSsCrOfTx
29-01-10, 19:19
Ughhh, I HATED that book. But, still sad to hear he passed. RIP J.D. Salinger.

Squibbly
29-01-10, 20:51
Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite books.

RIP.

Legend of Lara
29-01-10, 20:53
Nooo... :(

I read CitR about a year ago for literature class and I truly liked it.