PDA

View Full Version : UK Government plans to halve number of British smokers by 2020

Real Life Raider
30-01-10, 00:53
Quite right too. Who in their right mind is smoking in the 21st century?

And banning smoking at entrances to public buildings needs to start now. Every main entrance seems to have a permanent crowd of self-harmers creating a thick fog of toxic smoke!

FULL STORY (http://itn.co.uk/d10c0930ef6ebe18378b26917bf01b68.html)

*cough cough!*

lara c. fan
30-01-10, 00:55
But will they actually manage it.

Trigger_happy
30-01-10, 00:56
It won't happen- how will the Govt make money? They need the taxes to fund their silly ideas.

Capt. Murphy
30-01-10, 00:59
Once they get smokes out of the way, next up will be booze. :tmb:

Real Life Raider
30-01-10, 00:59
They need the taxes to fund their silly ideas.

And their dodgy wars. :hea:

They'll find a way. Window tax maybe......;)

Real Life Raider
30-01-10, 01:00
next up will be booze. :tmb:

British Prohibition? That I gotta see!! :cln:

Phys
30-01-10, 01:01
It won't happen- how will the Govt make money? They need the taxes to fund their silly ideas.

Exactly. The government gets ALOT of money from taxes on cigarettes and cigars. It's going to cost money to get rid of them which is where most of the money comes from in the first place.

lara c. fan
30-01-10, 01:01
They'll find a way. Window tax maybe......;)

People'll just brick up their windows like in Georgian times.

Rai
30-01-10, 01:04
Good luck to them, but I'd like to see how they plan on trying to stop people smoking in their own homes.

Real Life Raider
30-01-10, 01:08
Exactly. The government gets ALOT of money from taxes on cigarettes and cigars. It's going to cost money to get rid of them which is where most of the money comes from in the first place.

Revenue from tobacco versus costs...

smoking costs the NHS around 2.7 billion per year

Presumably they've done the math....?

patriots88888
30-01-10, 01:10
It's a noble idea and I commend his incentive, but it's not nearly as easy as described in the article. Anyone in this thread ever smoke? I have, and it takes much more than some advertising campaign and placing plain packaging on cigarette packs. I realize not everyone is the same, but hardcore addicts (such as I once was) need much more than just simple gimmicks to quit.

For those who have smoked long enough, it's not a habit, it's an addiction. There's a major difference between the two.

Real Life Raider
30-01-10, 01:15
Anyone in this thread ever smoke? I have, and it takes much more than some advertising campaign and placing plain packaging on cigarette packs. I realize not everyone is the same, but hardcore addicts (such as I once was) need much more than just simple gimmicks to quit.

For those who have smoked long enough, it's not a habit, it's an addiction. There's a major difference between the two.

Yes and I agree 100%. I smoked from the age of 15 until I quit in 2000. It was hell (I was on 60 day) but quit I did and I've never smoked since.

The harder it is (socially) to smoke though, the greater the incentive to stop.

patriots88888
30-01-10, 01:25
Yes and I agree 100%. I smoked from the age of 15 until I quit in 2000. It was hell (I was on 60 day) but quit I did and I've never smoked since.

The harder it is (socially) to smoke though, the greater the incentive to stop.

Congratulations on that. It is hell, no doubt. It just kills me when those who have never smoked or only casually smoked for a short while and know absolutely zilch when it comes to addiction say things like, 'it's only a habit, why can't they just quit?'. Speak not if you know not.

As for the incentive part, I'm still not completely convinced about that either. What those addicted must do is decide that they want to do it for themselves, not for or because of any other reason, including social restrictions.

shadow_fire
30-01-10, 01:35
Okay slightly off topic....

.but when I first read the topic I thought it said: UK Government plans to halve number of British by 2020.

:pi: I never saw the smokers..... I was like wtf???

then I read it again and saw that I really need to get glasses :o

anywhoo back on topic, I think this is a good idea. I hate it when people smoke. any way smoking is just another form of suicide.

Trigger_happy
30-01-10, 01:41
As patriots88888 said, you can't just make people stop smoking: that's why there are so many people doing it outside. I smoke occasionally, only socially, and I don't think ads would stop that. Its like in Green Wing, where they swap the fag packets because of the warnings on them.

Spong
30-01-10, 03:18
They might introduce plain packaging, but from a smoker's point of view, who gives a toss what the packet looks like? They might ban the vending machines, but that's a good thing too because the cigs are more expensive, plus you sometimes don't get twenty in a pack. They can 'crack down' all they like on illicit imports, it's not going to stop it (like every other black market). They can ban smoking in public places if they want, but trying to ban it in people's homes or their cars? Never gonna happen.

And on top of that, like others have said, the tax from cigarettes is one of this country's biggest cash cows. That's what makes me laugh. The Government doesn't really want us to stop smoking at all.

Ward Dragon
30-01-10, 03:48
And on top of that, like others have said, the tax from cigarettes is one of this country's biggest cash cows. That's what makes me laugh. The Government doesn't really want us to stop smoking at all.

Yeah, that's definitely how it seems. I agree with banning smoking in public doorways, or in cars if there are children passengers. They can't make it illegal to smoke at home, though.

Some 80,000 deaths are caused each year as a direct result of smoking and it costs the NHS around 2.7 billion per year.

This is what scares me about national healthcare -- smoking is expensive to treat, so let's ban it! What's next, junk food? People know by now how dangerous smoking is. If they want to keep smoking, then that's their choice as long as they aren't harming other people with second-hand smoke. If they want help quitting then by all means help, but I don't like the idea of making it illegal to smoke as an attempt to force everyone to quit whether they want to or not.

miss.haggard
30-01-10, 03:51
Option, up the tax on cigarettes/cigars to a ludicrous rate. Then you will either make a **** load of money, or people will stop smoking. Or both. Its brilliant. I should get a cookie.

aurora89
30-01-10, 03:53
Revenue from tobacco versus costs...

Presumably they've done the math....?

THIS. The taxes they get don't equal the medical bills they have to pay for smokers.

MattTR
30-01-10, 03:57
Good job UK, I think it's great. :)

Now if only America could step up.. but nope. :pi:

asherz
30-01-10, 04:10
Okay slightly off topic....

.but when I first read the topic I thought it said: UK Government plans to halve number of British by 2020.

Lmfaoooo.

Good! I hate smokers.

TheBloodRed
30-01-10, 04:35
Good job UK, I think it's great. :)

Now if only America could step up.. but nope. :pi:

Many states are having laws passed on public indoor spaces banning smoking unless a private venue.

There are better alternatives to smoking but the state just makes soooo much money off of it that I doubt they will ban it altogether.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:04
i really hope they do halve the numbers, I've had family die from smoking-related diseases and conditions; so my dad is very strict with me about smoking so I've never tried a ciggarette. Also, the ciggarettes themselves are very expensive - and my step-dad smokes and it drains our money away and we're very poor. I got my mum to stop smoking because I said it upset mem and I'm really happy she hasn't for a very long time.

To me, smoking in unattractive and ruins lives.

T-Sex
30-01-10, 10:09
Ive never tried a cigarette, but because idiots at the bus stop i use are constantly smoking ive inhaled cigarette smoke from the air before. Its disgusting.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-01-10, 10:16
Ive never tried a cigarette, but because idiots at the bus stop i use are constantly smoking ive inhaled cigarette smoke from the air before. Its disgusting.

same! i hate passive smoking
I don't want my life leeched away because of somebody's ciggarette smoke

Dennis's Mom
30-01-10, 13:08
I smoked for a scene once. Greatest acting tool EVA. It's easy to see why it's so addicting, and I don't just mean the nicotine. You are completely at ease socially. You always have something to do. You never feel awkward.

I'm sure it's hell to quit.

MiCkiZ88
30-01-10, 13:27
I dont mind others who smoke, but I do mind it when they smoke right next to me. The habit here seems to be that people smoke inside and dont even bother opening the garden door or window. One of the reasons I hate being in the living room since my father in law smokes like hell.

I wont allow others to smoke in our bedroom or in our future home. If they want to smoke, they can smoke outside.

Hadow
30-01-10, 14:11
man i hate smokers there all over the place i have to hold my breath for like 5 minutes or something :mad::mad::hea::hea::hea::hea:

and if i breath it in... i could die :(:(:(

COME ON GOV SHOW ME WHAT U GOT?!?!?!

Trigger_happy
30-01-10, 14:58
This is what scares me about national healthcare -- smoking is expensive to treat, so let's ban it! What's next, junk food? People know by now how dangerous smoking is. If they want to keep smoking, then that's their choice as long as they aren't harming other people with second-hand smoke. If they want help quitting then by all means help, but I don't like the idea of making it illegal to smoke as an attempt to force everyone to quit whether they want to or not.

Exactly. I'm sure lots of people fall down the stairs and hurt themselves- should we all live in bungalows?

Chocola teapot
30-01-10, 15:25
My Mum gave up last year, :)

Nenya awakens
30-01-10, 16:01
I smoke, I smoke in my home, I probably smoke about 10 a day unless im drinking then ill probably smoke 20. If I wish to smoke at work I need to smoke round the side of the building which I don't mind.. unless it's raining, but then i'll just make sure im wearing a coat with a hood.

If im waiting for a bus i'll stand back and smoke away from the crowd, as long as im not blowing it directly onto people and im standing back and I don't see why people should be giving me dirty looks, you always have the option to move away from me, I have already moved away from you so I don't get smoke on you.

If im sitting outside a pub in an area provided with ashtrays im going to smoke regardless of if you like it or not seeing as I can no longer smoke inside the building, I try not to smoke when people are eating because obviously Thats just rude.

Trigger_happy
30-01-10, 16:12
I smoke, I smoke in my home, I probably smoke about 10 a day unless im drinking then ill probably smoke 20. If I wish to smoke at work I need to smoke round the side of the building which I don't mind.. unless it's raining, but then i'll just make sure im wearing a coat with a hood.

If im waiting for a bus i'll stand back and smoke away from the crowd, as long as im not blowing it directly onto people and im standing back and I don't see why people should be giving me dirty looks, you always have the option to move away from me, I have already moved away from you so I don't get smoke on you.

If im sitting outside a pub in an area provided with ashtrays im going to smoke regardless of if you like it or not seeing as I can no longer smoke inside the building, I try not to smoke when people are eating because obviously Thats just rude.

Exactly! If I'm smoking near my friends who don't smoke, I ask if its effecting them, and move if it is. Not everyone is an ego-centric smoker.

TRhalloween
30-01-10, 19:28
Lmfaoooo.

Good! I hate smokers.

It's ridiculous to hate smokers. I hate smoking but I don't hate smokers.

Larson_1988
31-01-10, 14:32
I smoke, I smoke in my home, I probably smoke about 10 a day unless im drinking then ill probably smoke 20.

That little? I smoke about 40 a day. :o

And i honestly don't get why people hate smokers, some people surprise me.

T-Sex
31-01-10, 14:33

Goodbye... FOREVER

Just joking. I dont hate smokers but i do hate smoking.

Nenya awakens
31-01-10, 14:38

And i honestly don't get why people hate smokers, some people surprise me.

Yeh, obviously if im drinking is smoke more, but I normally a pack of 10 in the morning and I don't need to buy anymore until the next morning, sometimes I will have 1 left.

Chocola teapot
31-01-10, 14:41
Good for the people who do quit, I suppose.

coolaideonfire
31-01-10, 16:38
I was at a pub recently and they did absolutely nothing about the smokers inside. I thought it was banned in these kind of establishments now? Apparently they think it doesn't apply to them for whatever reason.

Personally, I don't mind but we were with a pregnant friend and of course as a non-smoker I'd rather be in a smoke-free environment.

Mad Tony
31-01-10, 16:51
I think the ban on smoking in pubs is excellent. I always go and watch football at the pub if Villa are on TV and I would have to have to inhale the stench of smoke for three hours solid.