PDA

View Full Version : "It's OK to insult the Cornish..."

Reggie
31-01-10, 00:10
It's OK to insult the Cornish because they don't exist, rules watchdog

By Andrew Levy (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Andrew+Levy)
Last updated at 12:56 AM on 30th January 2010
Being called a straw-sucking, inbred wurzel because of where you come from should give you fair cause for complaint.
But not if you're Cornish it seems. For, according to quango chiefs, the Cornish don't exist as a people and so can't be discriminated against.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission made the ruling following a written complaint about repeated media mockery of the county.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/22/article-1237763-07AF10B1000005DC-344_468x353.jpg Proud: Citizens of Cornwall, seen here celebrating St Piran's Day, were today told hat no action can be taken against people who insult them because officially the Cornish do not exist

The Kernow branch of the Celtic League cited 'racist' articles in the Times, the Guardian and the Spectator as well as pieces on BBC radio and the website of Imperial College London.
The league's Rhisiart Tal-e-bot said: 'People increasingly throw insults at the Cornish - so if they don't exist how can that happen?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/30/article-1246970-0814B5F5000005DC-929_468x236.jpg

'People are upset about it. We feel this is just the tip of the iceberg. Something needs to be done but nothing can be done because we are not seen as a national minority.'
Graeme Hicks, a Cornwall County Councillor, said he had found 15,400 separate entries on the internet about inbreeding in the county.
'If you said something like this about Pakistanis or travellers you would be taken to court,' he added.
Wild West, a BBC sitcom starring Dawn French and Catherine Tate, also drew anger.
One viewer complained: 'I felt ashamed that the BBC could blatantly depict the Cornish as inbred fools, thieves with limited exposure and brain power.'
A campaigner claims to have heard the Cornish described on TV as 'a bunch of p****d-off, straw-sucking, inbred wurzels'.
The Celtic League wrote to the EHRC last month, saying: 'A number of individuals have contacted our branch to complain about various comments and articles that have been written in newspapers, magazines and aired on the radio referring to the Cornish as inbred and being generally derogatory and or insulting.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/22/article-1237763-06CEC070000005DC-46_468x286.jpg Outrage: Port Isaac in Cornwall. The Celtic League had demanded action to stop media groups referring to the Cornish as 'inbred'

'This refers to comments made by individuals, as well as from sources on the internet, but a surprising number also come from supposedly wellrespected sources. We would therefore like your help and support in asking you for a comment in response to this letter that we can use in future, condemning racist and prejudiced comments toward the Cornish.'
But Qaiser Razzak of the EHRC wrote back: 'Case law has not established the Cornish as a "racial group", for the purposes of the Race Relations Act, so currently, it is not clear whether any claim of racial discrimination against Cornish people would be successful.'
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1246970/Cornwall-Its-OK-insult-Cornish-dont-exist-rules-watchdog.html#

My opinion:
I find it fascinating that the Daily Mail is the one which picked up on this issue but kudos to them. I think the key point however with the Cornish is not just trying to get certain rights but for everyone to take some responsibility in trying to foster a better understanding with Cornish people. Clearly with how attitudes are, its no wonder Cornish people are so keen to highlight how distinct they are - the non-Cornish appear to perpetuate that for the large part.

Encore
31-01-10, 00:18
They just need to focus on changing that law, is all. I don't think it's been said that it's "OK", just that there's a hole in the law.
I hope they manage to change it because it's a huge hypocrisy when everyone is so scared of insulting muslims and other "more notable" minorities but no one is bothered by this.

Mad Tony
31-01-10, 00:19
There's no such thing as "the Cornish people". Being "Cornish" isn't like being Scottish or English.

Needless to say insulting people based on the place which they come from is pretty stupid.

Surohicko
31-01-10, 00:20
You Cornish twats :p

Only kidding

patriots88888
31-01-10, 00:20
I thought this was going to be about game hens. Silly, I know but it was the first thing I thought about when I read the title. :p

People are people and no one should be insulting anyone regardless of what they refer to themselves as or where they reside. Don't know much about their history besides what has been posted, but why would anyone want to insult them to begin with?

Reggie
31-01-10, 00:24
Could I just ask (on seeing Surohiko's comment) that we keep it sensible and civil?

There's no such thing as "the Cornish people". Being "Cornish" isn't like being Scottish or English.

Needless to say insulting people based on the place which they come from is pretty stupid.
I politely ask, why though? Everyones all to keen to point out how different the Cornish are from the rest of England but when it comes to asking for recognition as such? No way. And besides, that little fact box on there says enough for me to believe there's a valid case to be made there. However my issue is not necessary with the need for rights but the fact rights are even an issue in the first place - which means that I kind of agree with you, its the insults and prejudice which need to change first...rights are nothing without people's minds evolving along with them and regardless of how distinct or different Cornish culture might be, it should be seen in a more open minded way than it is now is perhaps what the real issue is at hand (as I see it).

Encore
31-01-10, 00:28
Don't know much about their history besides what has been posted, but why would anyone want to insult them to begin with?

For the same reason people joke about and stereotype any minority I supose.

Mad Tony
31-01-10, 00:32
I politely ask, why though? Everyones all to keen to point out how different the Cornish are from the rest of England but when it comes to asking for recognition as such? No way.Cornwall is just a county. Also, the only major difference between Cornwall and every other county is that there are many people there who for some irrational reason think they should be their own country.

patriots88888
31-01-10, 00:36
For the same reason people joke about and stereotype any minority I supose.

Yea, I guess. From what I read they appear to have a pretty :cool: history and tradition. Maybe it's jealousy. :whi:

Tomb-Dude
31-01-10, 00:38
Wow i feel insulted... I'm cornish but wasn't brought up there but still stick up for cornish.

Even though I do insult them :pi:

Reggie
31-01-10, 00:39
@Encore: Pretty much so.

Cornwall is just a county. Also, the only major difference between Cornwall and every other county is that there are many people there who for some irrational reason think they should be their own country.
There's more to Cornwall than a minority wanting this place to be their own county. If that was the case, Mebyon Kernow would be the main party of Cornwall (they have a 'Cornwall/Cornish first policy) whereas in reality its actually the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives who dominate the political scene here. And this is the problem, it seems for all the differences and quirks to Cornwall there are (plenty of info out there if you care to google), people prefer to zone in on the farmers or the Cornish sepratists...or make a joke out of it.

TRhalloween
31-01-10, 00:41
That is so offensive, I love eating corn.

Nenya awakens
31-01-10, 00:45
I used to live in Somerset and alot of people from around those counties (Somerset, Devon & Cornwall) all feel strangely cut off from the rest of England and like to class themselves as being separate.

I don't personally follow that view point.

Mad Tony
31-01-10, 00:49
Wow i feel insulted... I'm cornish but wasn't brought up there but still stick up for cornish.

Even though I do insult them :pi:How does that work?

There's more to Cornwall than a minority wanting this place to be their own county. If that was the case, Mebyon Kernow would be the main party of Cornwall (they have a 'Cornwall/Cornish first policy) whereas in reality its actually the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives who dominate the political scene here. And this is the problem, it seems for all the differences and quirks to Cornwall there are (plenty of info out there if you care to google), people prefer to zone in on the farmers or the Cornish sepratists...or make a joke out of it.I'm not focusing solely on that, I'm just saying that that's one of the things that makes Cornwall different. You don't hear of separatist groups anywhere else.

Reggie
31-01-10, 00:50
I used to live in Somerset and alot of people from around those counties (Somerset, Devon & Cornwall) all feel strangely cut off from the rest of England and like to class themselves as being separate.

I don't personally follow that view point.
I don't either but I can understand why many do and its an odd situation for me because while I might be found arguing the point to those who see people in the Southwest differently (for negative reasons rather than anything positive), I'm also arguing to those who want us seperate that that's not the way. Its the underlying issue of stereotyping which I think created or perpetuated all this in the first place so to further highlight differences and then use that as an excuse for further marginalisation either by us or by the media is irresponsible and doesn't take into account the many things which actually bind us to the rest of England.

I'm not focusing solely on that, I'm just saying that that's one of the things that makes Cornwall different. You don't hear of separatist groups anywhere else.
Yorkshire has its own seperatist movement I believe. My reply to Marc above probably contributes to what we've discussed so far as well.

Johnnay
31-01-10, 01:07
this topic is very interesting indeed.

i like English tribes(and Irish ones too)

i must study the Cornish Culture myself

miss.haggard
31-01-10, 01:09
I like my corn mixed with mashed potatoes.

Tomb-Dude
31-01-10, 02:00
How does that work?

When you have a dad like mine who says "I'm sorry son, I couldn't get your mother across the bridge in time so you weren't born in cornwall" and most of the cornish i met are so stupid. Went down there for a day and acts for directions and they had no idea where it was even though it was like the next road along. And had many other experiances. :p

Also... Born there lived for a little bit but lived in devon all my life part from the tiny part i was in cornwall :) Plus insulting them is fun and i'm allowed because im cornish :D

Trigger_happy
31-01-10, 02:22

That's what I think. I'm sure all the counties have their own traditions- that doesn't make them a race of people. Those up North sound totally different from us posh southies- does that mean its another language?

If any county has a right to be its own people, its Berwick upon Tweed.

TRfan23
31-01-10, 02:33
Don't worry Reggie.

Loads of towns/countys get insulted. Including mine which is No. 1 on the list.

1. Ashford = Trashford
2. Faversham = Chaversham
3. Whitstable = ****stable
4. Canterbury = Panterbury

That's all I can remember, it was a stupid school thing.

Spong
31-01-10, 03:03
People can say what they like about the Cornish, but they make brilliant pasties. Shame that's all they do. Apart from complain about apparently being picked on.

Seriously, the Daily Mail published this rubbish? Was there no proper news?

patriots88888
31-01-10, 07:59
When you have a dad like mine who says "I'm sorry son, I couldn't get your mother across the bridge in time so you weren't born in cornwall" and most of the cornish i met are so stupid. Went down there for a day and acts for directions and they had no idea where it was even though it was like the next road along. And had many other experiances. :p

Also... Born there lived for a little bit but lived in devon all my life part from the tiny part i was in cornwall :) Plus insulting them is fun and i'm allowed because im cornish :D

Acts for directions? What was that you were saying about stupid? :tea:

Cochrane
31-01-10, 08:15
I wonder how much this is an actual problem. People will always insult inhabitants of other parts of their own country, after all. Yes, it can go too far at times, but does it do so here?

I certainly would not want to be told that I can't make fun of the people in East Friesland anymore. And that's not because I dislike them or think they're stupid (I never even met that many, but they seemed all nice and normal), but simply because making fun of them has such a long tradition.

Another Lara
31-01-10, 11:07
I think all this is pretty sad if anything!

As an Essex girl I've had a life time of stereotypes thrown at me and insults whenever I mention where I'm from, so where's my human rights concerning all that?!

I've never been to Cornwall although have always wanted to and have never had anything against the people apart when they make all this spiel about being different from everyone else... the counties of england are all made up of celts and anglo saxons at the end of the day so the Cornish are pretty much just another Celtic County! Deal with it!

Reggie
31-01-10, 11:47
I certainly would not want to be told that I can't make fun of the people in East Friesland anymore. And that's not because I dislike them or think they're stupid (I never even met that many, but they seemed all nice and normal), but simply because making fun of them has such a long tradition.
I actually agree with that sentiment. That's why I'd rather see the media and individuals take more responsibility on their own part rather than see the Cornish classed an official minority who's rights need to be protected in ways that are different from anyone else. I can see why some would follow that line but I don't agree with it on that principle.

igonge
31-01-10, 11:50
What?! lol