PDA

View Full Version : Most Children Under 10 Own A Mobile Phone

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 01:18
So says a rather dodgy news article HERE (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Mobile-Phones-Two-Thirds-Of-Kids-Under-10-Have-One-Of-Their-Own-Despite-The-Health-Alert/Article/201001315532645?lpos=UK_News_Second_Technology_Art icle_Teaser_Region__7&lid=ARTICLE_15532645_Mobile_Phones%3A_Two-Thirds_Of_Kids_Under_10_Have_One_Of_Their_Own%2C_D espite_The_Health_Alert) and I kinda wonder what the fuss is about?

Who here does not have a mobile cell phone? Does it make you ill? (the science says not but the media insists on stating otherwise with no evidence to the contrary).

Kids are far better qualified to use technology (I work for a cellular network and my advice to oldsters is; "If in doubt, ask a child". And I'm serious, despite the perception of humour).

The mobile cell phone has revolutionised society and modern culture and the media really ought to get over it's nannying attitude.

BlackBerrys are best by the way (joke!)

patriots88888
01-02-10, 01:23
This is mine...

http://i50.************/2qbdn5f.jpg

Phys
01-02-10, 01:24
This is really old news. I heard people discussing this ageeesssss ago.

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 01:25
My unborn children won't be allowed to own cellular devices until they enter junior high. :wve:

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 01:28
This is mine...

http://i50.************/2qbdn5f.jpg

Does it come with Bluetooth? :cln:

patriots88888
01-02-10, 01:30
^ No :(, but I never experience blackouts with it. :D

Mad Tony
01-02-10, 01:40
My unborn children won't be allowed to own cellular devices until they enter junior high. :wve:Why?

MattTR
01-02-10, 01:41
Wow, under 10? :eek: That's crazy, I think I got my first one when I turned 13.. and that was early. :p

remote91
01-02-10, 01:42
It's got its pros and cons.

Best thing is though that a parent should be able to get in contact with their child at all times.

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 01:44
^ Walkie talkies?

Why?

10 year olds should be out playing cops and robbers and freeze tag with the neighbor kids. :mis:

scremanie
01-02-10, 01:49
As soon as I meet the girl I want to have children with, i'm going to install a mobile phone into her womb.

Shauni
01-02-10, 01:50
I didn't get a cellphone until I was 16. O_O

remote91
01-02-10, 01:50
^ Walkie talkies?

They only work for a short distance don't they? :p

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 01:51
They only work for a short distance don't they? :p

You can find ones that range a mile or two. (More if you're willing to pay.) How far do 10 year olds need to go? :pi:

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 01:52
Walkie talkies?

A cell phone would be better ;)

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 01:54
A cell phone would be better ;)

If you want to expose you're children to more dangers, sure. :wve:

I don't want my kids calling up old child molesters they met online and meeting them across town. :pi:

remote91
01-02-10, 01:54
You can find ones that range a mile or two. (More if you're willing to pay.) How far do 10 year olds need to go? :pi:
Depends how fast and far you can drive when they're in the trunk of your car.. :pi:

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 01:56
If you want to expose you're children to more dangers, sure. :wve:

What dangers? :)

scremanie
01-02-10, 01:57
Depends how fast and far you can drive when they're in the trunk of your car.. :pi:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:VLOL: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

*high5*

best post EVERRRRR!!! :D :D :D :vlol:

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 01:57
Depends how fast and far you can drive when they're in the trunk of your car.

I don't think cell phones would change that. If I was kidnapping, I'd check for a phone and smash it first.

What dangers?

I edited my post. :pi: Giving them a cell phone is giving them more freedom. A 10 year shouldn't be making all of their decisions for themselves.

remote91
01-02-10, 02:00
I don't think cell phones would change that. If I was kidnapping, I'd check for a phone and smash it first.

LMAO.

Things just got dark up in here..

scremanie
01-02-10, 02:00

No.. you would not check seeing as you would never suspect any 10 year old to own a mobile :mis:

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 02:01
A 10 year shouldn't be making all of their decisions for themselves.

True. A cell phone should never take the place of good parenting.

remote91
01-02-10, 02:07
Can't you adjust a phone so it only takes incoming calls?

I'd do that to my kid and make them keep the phone with them :pi:

AmericanAssassin
01-02-10, 02:16
LMAO. Things just got dark up in here..

That was hypothetical. I swear. :p

No.. you would not check seeing as you would never suspect any 10 year old to own a mobile :mis:

Yes, I would. I know kids have them. All I said is that mine won't.

Can't you adjust a phone so it only takes incoming calls? I'd do that to my kid and make them keep the phone with them :pi:

If that's possible, then that would be a good thing and my kids will have one. :)

Real Life Raider
01-02-10, 02:17
Can't you adjust a phone so it only takes incoming calls?

No, not on a GSM network.

Catracoth
01-02-10, 02:24
I see no problem with children having cell phones, as long as said mobile device is something like this:

http://www.teknovis.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/firefly_mobile_phones.jpeg

Ten year olds don't need cell phones that do anything other than send and receive calls, or even have a cell phone at all for that matter.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
01-02-10, 02:26
I see no problem with children having cell phones, as long as said mobile device is something like this:

http://www.teknovis.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/firefly_mobile_phones.jpeg

Ten year olds don't need cell phones that do anything other than send and receive calls, or even have a cell phone at all for that matter.

Bravo! I could picture a 10 year old racking up 1,000+ text messages a month, any phone my kids would have (and I don't even have kids yet) would NOT have texting as an option.

remote91
01-02-10, 02:37

Genius! The bottom buttons look like you press right for daddy, left for mummy :p

Catracoth
01-02-10, 02:44
Bravo! I could picture a 10 year old racking up 1,000+ text messages a month, any phone my kids would have (and I don't even have kids yet) would NOT have texting as an option.

Same here. This is what my son will have until he's at least sixteen where even still, he won't be as technologically advanced as I am a year older.

Genius! The bottom buttons look like you press right for daddy, left for mummy :p

Haha that's what I thought as well.

Ikas90
01-02-10, 03:00
I think mobile phones are pretty useful, tbh. :)

If a child is to use it though, it should be in moderation.

Catracoth
01-02-10, 03:18
I don't think anyone said otherwise, but there's no denying the fact that cell phones are unnecessary for ten year olds unless they're those Firefly phones.

Capt. Murphy
01-02-10, 03:27
I don't have one. I did use one that belonged to my parents at one time when we were having some real bad winter weather... In case I got stuck or stranded somewhere. I used it maybe... less than 5 times, and that was over a 1 or 2 month period.

Why don't I have one? I don't have a whole bunch of people that I must MUST... M-U-S-T, Must! talk to every waking second of every day. That and I don't like the idea of someone being able to track me down if I want to be left alone and I'm occupied with more important things... Like not talking to them.

Heck... Okay. I do use the internet on a daily basis, but as far as using my land-line phone -- I pay way too much anyway already for what little I use that for.

The phone companies need to make money somehow. :wve:

As for kids using cell phones... What for? What does a kid need to do on the phone that they have it with them all the time? Maybe they need the backside of a hand to their head instead of that cell phone. :mis:

Angel666
01-02-10, 03:52
I never had a cell phone until I was 16. I did fine without. :wve:

amiro1989
01-02-10, 04:03
I got mine at 17 and never really started using it til I was 20, so now.... Weird generation, I know.

Legend 4ever
01-02-10, 05:09
I got mine at 12 and I surely can't see how would any kid younger than 12 need a cell phone. I only used it for playing Snake for the first year, I started messaging at 13.

Aranara
01-02-10, 08:03
I got my first mobile phone when I was 11 because I lived pretty far from my school (and I still do, I go to the same school) and my Mum gave me a mobile phone and asked me to give her a beep so that she knows I got to school safely :D I still do that :pi:

scremanie
01-02-10, 08:07
I forget what age I was when I got my first mobile :pi:

I think I was 12 or something.. I got it for christmas from my dad.. because I asked for one, so he got me one.. but it was only an el-cheapo pre-paid sony ericsson. I had it for a while too. 2 years maybe... I never had any credit though.. :|

Aranara
01-02-10, 08:10
^
My first mobile was a Siemens...then a Samsung..and now my Nokia :rolleyes:

rowanlim
01-02-10, 08:12
I got my 1st cellphone when I was 18. My neighbor's kids are 10 & 11, they've got their own cellphones :/

chriss99
01-02-10, 08:28
I got my mobile phone when I was around 17. I think it's a reasonable age to have a mobile. I have a neighbour who's 8 and has a mobile phone. It's a bit ridiculous but still has it's advantages.

Dustie
01-02-10, 10:30
Glad to see we still haven't lost common sense. Cellphones are toys these days, texting is fun, so kids pick these things up instantly, but there have to be some limits.

Sweets are fun too and when a kid stuffs him/herself with sweets too much, they're going to get sick. Nothing's going to tell a child the borders of cellphone fun.

MyRaider4Life
01-02-10, 10:48
My first proper phone I got when I was 11, and I am 14 now and I am on a plan. I say that if you need the phone then there is no problem but if you have one and hardly use it then what is the point in having it?

viper456
01-02-10, 10:53
I got my first mobile when I started secondary school so at about the age of 11. My Mum used to make me put it in my locker when I got to school and leave it there until the end of the day in case anyone stole it from my bag...might of been an issue if it didn't look like this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/viper456/_429251_btphone300.jpg
(best pic I could find)

LMAO. I remember being so excited when I got this one after it...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/viper456/philips-savvy.jpg

loool. Don't get me started on the 3310 :D!

I think kids having mobiles is a good thing as long as they look after it since parents can always check up on their kids and know where they are. My first one (the brick above) had a parental lock so I could only phone numbers already in the phone book (which my mum put together) same for texts...Kinda similar to those Firefly phones someone posted.

Dennis's Mom
01-02-10, 13:15
My two younger children got them when we relo'd back from Alaska. New area, new friends---I really wanted to be able to contact them and vice versa. They probably would have had to wait until high school had we stayed in Alaska.