PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Legend Review

domino92
23-02-10, 21:16
(I am not a journalist, just a fan. Thank you all for your support and encouragement)

Tomb Raider Legend (TRL) was the first game in the series to be created by a developer other than Core. The selected developer was Crystal Dynamics, a developer that goes way back with Eidos. Rather than a sequal to AOD, this game cretaes a whole new Tomb Raider series. I believe that this was an absolute necessity after AOD. Many fans were skeptical about how Tomb Raider could continue, but let me ease your worries by saying that Lara's still Lara, and perhaps better than ever. A few things keep this adventure from being better than ever.

The gameplay in TRL is different from previous TR games. Lara must still get from point A to point B by defeating enemies, solving puzzles, and zvoiding traps, but now the way Lara does it is so much different... and better! Climbing is a huge part of TRL. Lara will automatically grab onto a ledge when you jump near it, and from that ledge you can shimmy around, jump up or down, or jump of left or right. This creates so many possibilties for Laras quest. Along with ledge climbing Lara can swim, pole swing (not THAT kind boys), climb verticle poles, climb ladders, and use her grapple. The grapple functions as the ropes did. Find a piece of metal that the magnet can grab hold of and swing around. These moves create are used immensly in the game, and it plays really well. You'd be surprised how easily scaling cliffs are now.

Combat is much different now. Laras lock on now has a riticule, and you can select between enemies with the right stick. You still have your Unlimited ammo pistols, but your other gear is paired down. You can only hold one other weapon, and ammo for that weapon is limited to how much you can hold in your backpack. The alternate weapons include an Assault Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, and a Grenade Launcher. May I just say that Lara's totally badass? How so? Now she can physically fight her enemies. Lara can kick, slide into, or leap off of her enemies. If this isnt your style, then dont worry, these skills arn't necessary to play the game.

Level design took a step forward from AOD, but went didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice. And the puzzles are much easier. To make the game easier are two helpers, Zip and Alister, who provide hints and tips from home. But the game's length is kind of a let down. Previous games took days or even weeks if you decided not to use a walkthrough. TRL can be completed in a day. And you dont even have to use a walkthrough.

Graphically, TRL is absolutly gorgeous. Every character is almost flawlessly detailes, and levels have beautiful textures. I have nothing bad to say about the graphics of TRL, only that they get better in TRA.

As far as PS2 games go, TRL is a must have. No PS2 gamer should be without it. Even if your not a fan of creepy tombs, awing puzzles, great gun fights, or sizzling boss battles, then you at least have to admire the way they redesigned Lara. If you can find a copy thats worth $15 then great. Thats how much I'd pay for it. Xbox 360 players can get this game with Next Gen graphics, which arn't as good as they're supposed to be, but still look pretty damn good.

Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

Overall Enjoyment 8.8/10 (This is not an average)

Lara Fan 4Life
23-02-10, 21:26
What are you talking about? Legend on 360 looks amazing! :ohn:

domino92
23-02-10, 21:36
If it does, sorry. Ive only ever seen screens of it and it hasnt majorly impressed me, but thats just my opinion. But as I said they still look pretty damn good!

larafan25
23-02-10, 22:37
I enjoy your first paragraph:D

thanks for this:)

domino92
23-02-10, 22:55
No problem. I really enjoy making these

Next up on my list is TRA.

almayah
24-02-10, 09:07
(I am not a journalist, just a fan. Thank you all for your support and encouragement)

Tomb Raider Legend (TRL) was the first game in the series to be created by a developer other than Core. The selected developer was Crystal Dynamics, a developer that goes way back with Eidos. Rather than a sequal to AOD, this game cretaes a whole new Tomb Raider series. I believe that this was an absolute necessity after AOD. Many fans were skeptical about how Tomb Raider could continue, but let me ease your worries by saying that Lara's still Lara, and perhaps better than ever. A few things keep this adventure from being better than ever.

The gameplay in TRL is different from previous TR games. Lara must still get from point A to point B by defeating enemies, solving puzzles, and zvoiding traps, but now the way Lara does it is so much different... and better! Climbing is a huge part of TRL. Lara will automatically grab onto a ledge when you jump near it, and from that ledge you can shimmy around, jump up or down, or jump of left or right. This creates so many possibilties for Laras quest. Along with ledge climbing Lara can swim, pole swing (not THAT kind boys), climb verticle poles, climb ladders, and use her grapple. The grapple functions as the ropes did. Find a piece of metal that the magnet can grab hold of and swing around. These moves create are used immensly in the game, and it plays really well. You'd be surprised how easily scaling cliffs are now.

Combat is much different now. Laras lock on now has a riticule, and you can select between enemies with the right stick. You still have your Unlimited ammo pistols, but your other gear is paired down. You can only hold one other weapon, and ammo for that weapon is limited to how much you can hold in your backpack. The alternate weapons include an Assault Rifle, SMG, Shotgun, and a Grenade Launcher. May I just say that Lara's totally badass? How so? Now she can physically fight her enemies. Lara can kick, slide into, or leap off of her enemies. If this isnt your style, then dont worry, these skills arn't necessary to play the game.

Level design took a step forward from AOD, but went didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice. And the puzzles are much easier. To make the game easier are two helpers, Zip and Alister, who provide hints and tips from home. But the game's length is kind of a let down. Previous games took days or even weeks if you decided not to use a walkthrough. TRL can be completed in a day. And you dont even have to use a walkthrough.

Graphically, TRL is absolutly gorgeous. Every character is almost flawlessly detailes, and levels have beautiful textures. I have nothing bad to say about the graphics of TRL, only that they get better in TRA.

As far as PS2 games go, TRL is a must have. No PS2 gamer should be without it. Even if your not a fan of creepy tombs, awing puzzles, great gun fights, or sizzling boss battles, then you at least have to admire the way they redesigned Lara. If you can find a copy thats worth $15 then great. Thats how much I'd pay for it. Xbox 360 players can get this game with Next Gen graphics, which arn't as good as they're supposed to be, but still look pretty damn good.

Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

better then ever?? BETTER THEN EVER?? IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??

Double Mac
24-02-10, 09:15
IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??

Duke Nukem ('hail to the king, baby!', 'your face, your ass... what's the difference?'), Shadow Warrior's Lo Wang ('huh huh, you look like a stoopid!', 'I KEEL YOU!!!', 'you're half the man you used to be!' - this after cutting an opponent in half) and Blood's Caleb (although I can't remember anything specific at the moment).

But you're right... Lara is absolutely horrible as a character in that game.

EDIT:

Level design took a step forward from AOD, but didn't go very far after that. Levels are pretty linear, meaning you'll never be in the same room twice.

For the record, it might seem like a rare occurrence but you do get to retrace your steps here and there. In Peru, for instance, you get to negotiate the ‘cutscene pit’ on your own and make your way back through the freshly transformed environment after solving the main puzzle. In Ghana, you return to a certain chamber after activating the waterwheel (or whatever the thing is called) and you end up high above the initial area at some point (which allows you to take another dive into the water if you feel like you’ve missed something). You launch into a fairly adventurous detour in order to activate the Tesla gun in Kazakhstan. And, finally, the last section of the England level practically amounts to backtracking.

tranniversary119
24-02-10, 13:11
better then ever?? BETTER THEN EVER?? IT's the stupidest Lara in the series, hello hwo else makes jokes while 20 henchman are shooting??

That's his opinion which he's entitled to...but anyways, another great review! :tmb:

almayah
24-02-10, 16:23
That's his opinion which he's entitled to...but anyways, another great review! :tmb:

I know, and THAT is my oppinion

!Lara Croft!
24-02-10, 20:44
Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

Graphics : i agree

Combat : i partially agree, AOD was better.

Exploration : What the Hell! There is none. You just run around in passages. And if there are any big rooms there is only one way to traverse them. Also event the slightest hint of actuall exploration is deistroyed by zip and alister saying 'stand on that pressure plate'. I dont want them to tell me, i want to do it myself.

Gameplay : i disagree, i found this the most difficult lara to control (on PC), to sucessfully play you need three hands, one on the E, F, G, H, keys, one on the up, left, down and right keys, and one on the mouse, i dont know about you but i dont have three hands. Especially after coming from the sencible core lara. Ctrl is action, Alt is Jump and SPACE is draw/holster guns.

Overall Enjoyment : It is an enjoyable game, but not as a tomb raider game.

domino92
25-02-10, 04:04

Exploration : What the Hell! There is none. You just run around in passages. And if there are any big rooms there is only one way to traverse them. Also event the slightest hint of actuall exploration is deistroyed by zip and alister saying 'stand on that pressure plate'. I dont want them to tell me, i want to do it myself.

Gameplay : i disagree, i found this the most difficult lara to control (on PC), to sucessfully play you need three hands, one on the E, F, G, H, keys, one on the up, left, down and right keys, and one on the mouse, i dont know about you but i dont have three hands. Especially after coming from the sencible core lara. Ctrl is action, Alt is Jump and SPACE is draw/holster guns.

I thank you for your input, let me start off with the Exploration mark.

Okay, there has been a lot of critisim about this mark. So let me clarify that exploration is going where the game doesnt propmt you and finding something worth value. TRL didnt have big huge paths you had to go through to get to the secrets, but the way the secrets were sometimes cleverly hidden or the sheer amount made the Exploration score its mark.

Sorry for not addressing the PC controls. Ive never played PC Legend, but I have heard dreadful things about its PC controls (almost as bad as AODs ;) )
So let me address that now. The PC controls are reallllllly bad. Sorry for that,

!Lara Croft!
25-02-10, 06:05
AOD's PC controls are good, they're the same as TR1-5. Only on the console it changed. (and i still found them alright)

However legend is awlful on PC, but on PS2 it plays fine.

Ive played both the PC and console versions of both AOD and legend and between PC and PS2 controls AOD wins.

na_th_an
25-02-10, 09:17
AOD's PC controls are good, they're the same as TR1-5.

I wish you were right, but that's not true at all. I remember myself *****ing at the damn controls when I first played AOD in June 2003 (PC version, of course). Stairways were a nightmare, walking backwards was reversed (it turned to the wrong direction when walking backwards), it doesn't start running unless you double-tap the forward key, turns way too slow on plain and way too fast on stairways which make the controls feel clunky, etc.

I so WISH they had kept the same controls as in TR1-5. But they didn't.

!Lara Croft!
25-02-10, 09:32
They are the same controls, its just the anim play speed thats at fault. I just played AOD 15 min ago and the back key still makes her walk back.

AOD's controls and how they are linked with her anims are two different things. The CONTROLS themselves are the same (. = crawl, / = sprint, SHIFT = walk, CTRL = action etc) but the way they are linked with lara's animations isnt quite right, she does turn too fast on stairways but turning on flat ground is the same as the classics. This is simply the anims play speed, easily fixed but CORE didnt quite get enogh time to do it properly.

Yes the controls were alkward but they still made sence with the classics. All the buttons did the same things that they used too, now compare the classics controls with legends and youll see a big difference.

na_th_an
25-02-10, 10:04
Play any of the classics for a good while. Get used to the controls. Now switch to AOD and tell me you don't turn the wrong way when walking back. The turn direction is reversed when compared to the classics.

I was a complete "elephant in a porcelain shop" the first time I played the game. On the contrary, the TRL/A/U controls felt familiar right from the start, mainly 'cause they replicate what I've been using in almost every platform game since AOD.

!Lara Croft!
25-02-10, 10:24
I just went and ran around in TR2 (did the direction whilst backing) then did the same with AOD, yes its inverted, but i never made a mistake.

TRL felt 'familiar' to you because the controls are the same as almost every other game. EXACTLY! Tomb Raider isnt 'every other game'. It has a catagory of its own, it was different. Now its 'just another game'.

McGloomy
25-02-10, 10:42
Nice review. You made some good points to support your opinion. :tmb:

na_th_an
25-02-10, 12:56
I just went and ran around in TR2 (did the direction whilst backing) then did the same with AOD, yes its inverted, but i never made a mistake.

TRL felt 'familiar' to you because the controls are the same as almost every other game. EXACTLY! Tomb Raider isnt 'every other game'. It has a catagory of its own, it was different. Now its 'just another game'.

Classic TR controls were those of classic Prince of Persia (http://tcyr.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/prince-of-persia-vs-tomb-raider/), but in 3D. That's why I felt used to them when I first played TR in 1996.

TR didn't really introduce anything. It just was the best mixture of good things ever. That's why it was a success and counts to me as best series of games ever.

What can't be denied is that controls in TRAOD weren't fine-tuned at all, and that impacts heavily on gameplay for most people. You end getting used, but after 7 years playing the classics, when TRAOD came out it felt so bad. If it would have been completely different, maybe the impact would have been less, but being strikingly simmilar, aparently the same, the slight changes made it a bummer to get a grip with.

almayah
25-02-10, 13:35

Combat : i partially agree, AOD was better.

For the gameplay I give 0/10 :pi:

domino92
25-02-10, 21:29
For the gameplay I give 0/10 :pi:

Didnt like TRL? Oh well, its ur opinion. But why didnt you like it? I'm very curious.

Double Mac
25-02-10, 22:43
Exploration : What the Hell! There is none. You just run around in passages. And if there are any big rooms there is only one way to traverse them.

Incorrect. There is no exploration in AOD (save for a measly amount offered by the ghetto area), TRL, however, has actual secret areas and the explorer-friendly manor which practically beats the crap out of anything in the Parisian Ghetto (let alone the rest of the game) in this department. Other than that, both titles are completely linear.

Also event the slightest hint of actuall exploration is deistroyed by zip and alister saying 'stand on that pressure plate'. I dont want them to tell me, i want to do it myself.

They do occasionally shut up to let you do stuff on your own but it’s hard not to agree with you.

My thoughts exactly.

TRL didnt have big huge paths you had to go through to get to the secrets, but the way the secrets were sometimes cleverly hidden or the sheer amount made the Exploration score its mark.

As I said in your AOD review, you definitely went overboard with that score although you have a perfectly valid point here. Within the broader TR universe, Legend would deserve a mediocre ‘5’ for that aspect (as in ‘nothing special’) but as long as the hopelessly surprise-free AOD gets a lower mark (which it did, and I’m glad you were able to display objectivity in this regard) I’m not going to argue. Just don’t forget about the manor which – funnily enough – is pretty much my favorite ‘level’ due to the amount of actual exploration on offer.

Sorry for not addressing the PC controls. Ive never played PC Legend, but I have heard dreadful things about its PC controls (almost as bad as AODs ;) ) So let me address that now. The PC controls are reallllllly bad. Sorry for that,

You call that a way of addressing the issue?! :) They are certainly NOT ‘bad’. It’s a modernized system for sure but I didn’t have any problems controlling Lara. She was responsive (perhaps a little too responsive) and ‘acted’ predictably. Now, I love the old TR1-5 system and I want it back but don’t misrepresent that moderately enjoyable and polished (I haven’t run into any of those bugs people speak of) game here.

I wish you were right, but that's not true at all. I remember myself *****ing at the damn controls when I first played AOD in June 2003 (PC version, of course). Stairways were a nightmare, walking backwards was reversed (it turned to the wrong direction when walking backwards), it doesn't start running unless you double-tap the forward key, turns way too slow on plain and way too fast on stairways which make the controls feel clunky, etc.

Those were my feelings, too! Thanks to your summary, I feel like I’m back in 2003, man. No, wait… I don’t wanna go back there and play that atrocious game again! Other than that… ‘it doesn’t start running’? You mean that excuse for a heroine (who… sorry, that goes around intimidating bartenders and jumps at the sight of gangsters’ corpses in closets while remaining cool’n’collected in the presence of half-melted people, scary ghosts and skeletons wielding fiery swords) they had the nerve to replace the poor old Lara with? In that case, I’d say the pronoun choice wasn’t so controversial after all. :D

This is simply the anims play speed, easily fixed but CORE didnt quite get enogh time to do it properly.

Some of that does make sense to me. I believe there’s a patch addressing the response time between the press of a button and Lara’s reaction? And the infamous ‘stair dance’ routine was fixed as well? But… saying that the devs didn’t have enough time while they had all the time in the world is something else.

The sheer fact that you ‘never made a mistake’ does not automatically eliminate the problem nor does it make it any more acceptable to most players.

Didnt like TRL? Oh well, its ur opinion. But why didnt you like it? I'm very curious.

If there were no gameplay in TRL whatsoever than you’d be running through empty rooms without doing anything else. Since this is clearly not the case here, you can’t give that aspect an irresponsible ‘0’ out of 10. On the whole, there is way more platforming and traditional exploration than AOD could offer, some basic but cute puzzles (the Tesla gun wasn’t all that awful as a substitute for a puzzle piece), and then there’s some combat as well. Whether and how much you like the latter might depend on how comfortable you are with the control system though.

domino92
26-02-10, 03:44
hmm,

I want to note that I'm not comparing this TR to the PS1 versions. In my AOD review I noted that I would now be judging the marks in regards to the technology of the PS2. So yes to the person who said before that if Legend was an 8 then TR3 would be a 20. I agree.

But im not comparing it to the TR PS1 titles. Im judging it soley on the technology and the skills available at the time.

Rai
01-03-10, 15:42
I feel like I'm stalking you, domino :pi:. I'm not, I just felt like following your reviews and am doing so in one hit. :p

Another unbiased (well slightly biased in a preferred way) review. I feel AoD and Legend are probably the most controversial games of the series. Both have an either love 'em or hate em' quality and any view you have can be counter argued it seems. You did a good job in your descriptions though. :)

Ward Dragon
01-03-10, 17:08
Even if your not a fan of creepy tombs, awing puzzles, great gun fights, or sizzling boss battles, then you at least have to admire the way they redesigned Lara.

That perfectly describes Legend :pi:

You're supposed to use WASD to move, not the arrow keys. Much more convenient that way :)

Eddie Haskell
01-03-10, 18:05

Graphics 9/10
Combat 8.9/10
Exploration 8/10
Gameplay 8.4/10

I think we now know who the Director of Propaganda for Crystal Dynamics is... :pi:

domino92
05-03-10, 21:17
I think we now know who the Director of Propaganda for Crystal Dynamics is... :pi:

Har har har.
Relax, I dont work for CD.

SailorCroft
05-03-10, 22:40
I feel like I'm stalking you, domino :pi:. I'm not, I just felt like following your reviews and am doing so in one hit.

That's exactly what I was going to say :vlol: I just love reading other people's reviews on tr. :jmp:
Thanks again Domino.

domino92
06-03-10, 01:07
That's exactly what I was going to say :vlol: I just love reading other people's reviews on tr. :jmp:
Thanks again Domino.

No problem!
I feel so... happy. :)
Too bad I'm out of reviews to write.
Well, there is TRC, but thats near impossible to find :P

aurora89
06-03-10, 04:44
I would probably give it an 8 or 9 out of 10 too. :) I didn't like the way Lara flirts with EVERYONE, regardless of age, alignment, or gender (well, okay, if she's going to flirt at least they had her flirt with girls too this time!), the outfits *shudders*, or the storyline, *but* it was nice graphically, especially compared to AOD for me, there was some funny and/or clever dialogue (occasionally both at once, lol), and I liked having company through the tombs. Plus it was great to be able to actually play the game without dying too much (OMG, THIRD LEDGE IN TRA D: ) and I really loved the extra characters-- Zip, Amanda, Anaya, James... they even gave Winston dialogue and a part to play! :D

Paddy
06-03-10, 08:16
Legend hasnt got much exploring. It was more linear then most if not every other TR game.

domino92
18-03-10, 00:33
Legend hasnt got much exploring. It was more linear then most if not every other TR game.

Ya, it was linear, but the exploration mark ISNT based on that. Exploration is based on going places the game did not prompt you to go and finding results.