PDA

View Full Version : If legend wasn't a TR game,....

almayah
27-02-10, 12:09
I've noticed that alot of people on this forum are kicking Legend, cuz it doesen't have the atmosphere that all other TR games have. So my conclusion is that you hate Legend cuz it's not a real TR game. SO my question is:
If legend wasn't a TR game, but some other game, whould you like it??

I whould like to hear Phlip's and daventry's oppinions, cuz I think they're the once hwo are kicking Legend the most(nothing personal I hate Legend too) :ton:

January_Snow*
27-02-10, 13:02
I love Legend being a TR game, its a TR for me, if it was not a TR I probably would never buy it...

TheBloodRed
27-02-10, 13:06
Don't know why people kick Legend. Sure Legend and Underworld have things first seen in AoD that are old news but think about how you felt when running through Legend's Croft Manor for the first time and thinking how awesome it was!!

I generally like Legend better than TRA/TRU stuffs. SOOO much better in terms of story and the feeling of accomplishment you get from winning the levels.

Also the music ambiance always drags me into Legend. <333

Paddy
27-02-10, 13:07
Some people go over the top when they bag Legend and act like they state facts but I dislike the game because I hated the way they changed Lara, hated the storyline and was way too short and easy.
Thats just my opinion though.

TheBloodRed
27-02-10, 13:10
Sure I hated the length but what was done was still good quality. I even still like it above TRA and TRU combined!! xD

Rai
27-02-10, 13:21
As a Tomb Raider game or as just another game, I liked it. I liked the Arthurian/sword in the stone myth story, I liked the locations a lot, both in variety and looks and it did have quite a nice atmosphere too. The things that aren't liked about it are exaggerated quite a bit I think although I do agree with some of the criticism. It was quite a good 'introduction' game. I have a feeling is wasn't meant as much more than that.

The criticism I don't agree with is that it doesn't have tombs :confused:. Yes it does! :p

Caesum
27-02-10, 13:29
Imo Legend is good game, but it is too short, and Lara isn't Lara. Too dramatic and ginger. As the NOT TR game it is very good, but as the TR game it has many shortcomings and facilitations. That's why I don't like this game as much as the others.
But I think that CD are going in good way. Anniversary was beautiful and colorful game and Underworld was very dark and atmospheric. Without MyFamily plot I think that next Tomb Raider game can be very good!

Paddy
27-02-10, 13:30
Sure I hated the length but what was done was still good quality. I even still like it above TRA and TRU combined!! xD

Not good quality for me to enjoy.
Good quality for others though, thats what counts.

Bloody-Gumdrop
27-02-10, 14:03
It is a Tomb Raider game, I just didn't like the dramatic changes between AoD and Legend.

Vickkyyy
27-02-10, 14:28
I loved Legend, and i thought CD did a good job for the first Tomb Raider game.

Double Mac
27-02-10, 14:31
I've noticed that alot of people on this forum are kicking Legend, cuz it doesen't have the atmosphere that all other TR games have.

You mean, people s/a yourself? :) Here you go:

Legend is crappy game, nothing exiting, no real "Tomb Raider" atmosphere, barely any tombs, Lara's sick sence of humor(along with Zip and Alister) makes me vomit, her stupid jokes when henchman are shooting at her THERE's NO EXPLORATION!!

So my conclusion is that you hate Legend cuz it's not a real TR game. SO my question is: If legend wasn't a TR game, but some other game, whould you like it??

Let me put it like this: while I don’t exactly hate Legend, I managed to find it fairly enjoyable once I stopped treating it as a genuine TR adventure. You certainly have a point about the atmosphere which does suffer a great deal, yet not (as was the case with AOD) because of questionable location choice but:

1) those two dorks in the headset that just won’t shut up (which totally shatters the genre-defining sense of isolation perfected in the classic titles);
2) the disappointing length of the levels (which, effectively, will seem even shorter because of Lara’s apparent stimulant abuse);
3) the game’s overall length;
4) the linear structure of the gameplay (with just a little more exploration than AOD had on offer);
5) the lack of thematically coherent level sets which used to provide the player with an immense sense of discovery and continuity in the older titles, and which were substituted with excessive ‘jumping’ between ‘cool’ locations without giving the player a chance to immerse themselves in the environment. The Peru flashback doesn’t exactly help with maintaining that traditional feeling of continuity either.

Consequently, I can definitely recommend the game to a casual player as a somewhat cute afternoon romp of the action/adventure variety. It certainly seemed polished (no bugs, as far as I’m concerned) and – on the whole – noticeably coherent to me. As a TR game, however, it sucks sooo bad it’s not even funny.

Lara Fan 4Life
27-02-10, 14:33
I thought Legend was a great TR game in terms of level design, beats AOD's rubbish filled Paris and Prague streets anyday! :p What didn't make it a TR game was the mommy and daddy storyline, Zip and Alister interrupting you every minute and a very emotional Lara - Them things took away what TR and Lara were about, for me anyways!

almayah
27-02-10, 14:34
Well even though Legend is the worst TR game, it was Crystal's first try, it's just that some people don't understand that....

Steven_1379
27-02-10, 14:34
I dont get why ppl hate Legend
I actually loved it more(the ambience and decorations,colors, not the longness of level tough)
it just needed to be combined with the level desing of anniversary
the story was ok but i couldhave ended there and not be dragged to underwolrd ugh that made it patetic and into a total chick fight
at least in legend we got to kick some boss ass :D...with attitude ;)

Paddy
27-02-10, 14:38
Level design no doubt was good but way too linear IMO

Double Mac
27-02-10, 14:56
I dont get why ppl hate Legend

Well, why don’t you start by reading my post above? :) I listed 5 major problems I had with that game as a ‘TR adventure’. If you think my perception is flawed or downright incorrect, feel free to question it.

If the internal structure of some levels allowed for more non-linear gameplay s/a TRA’s interpretation of St. Francis’ Folly and – to an extent (because it was mercilessly butchered anyway) – The Cistern; if the locations were grouped into thematically linked sets giving you that classic sense of progress, then, yes, I would be more tolerant with regards to the less vital aspects s/a the groan-inducing focus on Lara’s emotional involvement in the story. Those annoying sidekicks in the headset would still have to go though. :)

Eddie Haskell
27-02-10, 15:01
I thought it was barely adequate for very light entertainment, but so much of the game bothered that I cannot say that it was good at all. I felt as I was playing it that I was being led down a corridor like a steer to the slaughter. And the insufferable IC's are among the worst concepts ever introduced into gaming. But the straw that broke the camels back for me was the motorcycle chase. It made the game appear as though it was designed for a five year old.

So no, it was not a good game really, unless you are an inexperienced gamer, someone who likes interactive dvd's or a little kid.

HappyShannon
27-02-10, 15:15
I loved Legend as TR game, and I probably wouldn't have played it if it wasn't one. :)

Steven_1379
27-02-10, 15:33
Well, why don’t you start by reading my post above? :) I listed 5 major problems I had with that game as a ‘TR adventure’. If you think my perception is flawed or downright incorrect, feel free to question it.

by ppl I mean people
as in not you specifically :mis:

T-Sex
27-02-10, 16:09

Or the level design of the first 3 TR games, which was much better :pi:

Phlip
27-02-10, 16:29
As a game itself, I like it, but as a TR, I do not, and NEVER will accept it. I don't get out of it what I should when I play a TR.

SLAYER
27-02-10, 17:08
i don't hate the game, it was very fun the first time..
anyway people hated that the game was short, annoying (zip&alistar) and it turned lara's bio upside down

Fan of Angelin
27-02-10, 17:43
I think that the game is great as Tr. :ton:
The game was never the same if it was not TR game

almayah
27-02-10, 17:55
As a game itself, I like it, but as a TR, I do not, and NEVER will accept it. I don't get out of it what I should when I play a TR.

LoL same here

Ward Dragon
27-02-10, 19:24
I hated it as a TR game. If it was the exact same game but not called TR, then I probably never would have even played it and if I did I would have forgotten about it a few minutes after finishing it. Still wouldn't have liked it, but wouldn't have cared enough about potential sequels to bother giving it a second thought.

Totally separate from the TR series, Legend still had horrible level-design, barely existent puzzles, clunky combat and too much of it, horrible bike sections, obnoxious headset, and poorly executed story.

The only things that are even worse considering it's a TR game are that there's a completely different atmosphere, they clumsily changed Lara's bio into something that makes even less sense, and they completely changed her personality. Those things add to how much Legend sucked, but it was still pretty terrible in its own right without even considering how it compares to the rest of the series.

Zebra
27-02-10, 19:33
I think, in general, it's a pretty solid game (something I can't say about TRA or TRU). The gameplay is fun, there actually IS some kind of atmosphere and the story wasn't that bad. As a TR game, however, it's a complete catastrophe. They got Lara's character all wrong, focused the story on sth that should never have been subject of a TR game, made the gameplay too easy, linear and combat-heavy and the list goes on...

danjodan
27-02-10, 20:38
It is goof for casual or younger players because its so linear and obhious where you go but it is still fun,like a tombraider

Los Angeles
27-02-10, 20:40

:hug: :tmb:

Mytly
27-02-10, 20:54
I wonder why I am bothering to post in this thread? It's just a Legend hate-fest. Oh well, I'll just add my two cents: I like Legend, I enjoyed it immesely when I first played it, and I have replayed it many times since. Is it like the Classics? No, not even remotely. But the Classics (which I love) aren't the only type of games in the world, and Legend makes for a nice change of pace. So, in short, I have no problem with Legend as a TR game. On the other hand, if it hadn't been a TR game, I would probably never have bought it, so my opinion on it would never have been an issue. ;)

almayah
27-02-10, 21:01
I wonder why I am bothering to post in this thread? It's just a Legend hate-fest. Oh well, I'll just add my two cents: I like Legend, I enjoyed it immesely when I first played it, and I have replayed it many times since. Is it like the Classics? No, not even remotely. But the Classics (which I love) aren't the only type of games in the world, and Legend makes for a nice change of pace. So, in short, I have no problem with Legend as a TR game. On the other hand, if it hadn't been a TR game, I would probably never have bought it, so my opinion on it would never have been an issue. ;)

Not really, I just want to know- people are kicking Legend too much, it doesen't have the TR atmosphere blah, blah blah,.... I think that's the main reason why people hate Legend. If it wasn't a TR game I whould like it, so whould Phlip :)

tomee
27-02-10, 21:32
I liked legend very much but I have to agree with that it is the least TRish TR.

Paddy
28-02-10, 02:49

I hate the game even if it wasnt a TR game, it would still be ridiculously easy and short for a normal action adventure game IMO

jajay119
28-02-10, 13:48
I enjoyed Legend, it was a well polished game that delivered the story amazingly but it had too many negative elements because it was a TR game, to much linearity, to much prescriptivism in movement, lack of atmosphere, lack o challenge, too much combat etc

If Cd took the format of Legend and made it into a separate series I's still buy it.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-02-10, 13:58
it is a tomb raider game to me, and it's an excellent one.

Afonya
28-02-10, 14:03
I've noticed, that Legend is ok game, even as Tomb Raider game, but its just too easy and short and I don't like Lara in Legend. The environments are great, and it was fun to jump around on the ceiling in Tokyo level etc.

But Legend is nothing compared to Core's Tomb Raiders, and that is my opinion.

[Sascha]
28-02-10, 14:37
Crystal Dynamics had Tomb raider change, and now ... Square enix will TR change too,
and Tomb Raider is a other game but its called Tomb raider

da tomb raider!
28-02-10, 15:02
I dislike Legend as a Tomb Raider game, and I equally dislike it as just a game. Even if I was to ignore the blatant unfaithfulness to the roots of the series, there's still not much fun to be had if you ask me. At all. In my opinion Legend is a spitefully linear game that constantly spoon-feeds the player with the shiny objects and help from Zip and Alister and the automatic grab and everything else, making for a horrifically short and easy game that feels more like a children's budget game than anything else. Not very fun, I don't think. Then there's the laughably bad game mechanics, such as the frustrating interactive cutscenes, digestively-upsetting motorcycle sequences and of course the unforgettable forklift section that make the game quite a chore to get through, despite its easy difficulty. Legend also has that God-awful family drama of a storyline (which isn't even nearly wrapped up by the end of the game), filled full of annoying characters - Zip and Alister speak for themselves, I'm sure, and even "Lara" herself doesn't escape becoming a disgustingly unlikeable character - her violent moodswings are bad enough, but seeing her scream like a banshee between gunshots at the unarmed and defenceless Amanda at the end of the game is quite infuriating.

In short, Legend is certainly one of the very worst games that I've ever played in my entire life, even if I don't look at it as a Tomb Raider game. The main menu looks nice, though.

Ward Dragon
28-02-10, 15:17
The main menu looks nice, though.

:vlol:

Seriously though, I agree with everything you've said. I guess I should qualify it to say Legend is one of the worst games I've completed though. I've played worse games but didn't bother finishing them.

almayah
28-02-10, 15:21
LoL, next thing we'll see is when Lara shoots a "bang" flag shows up hahahahah

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/87740053.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=49768722B86DC0FD7B1E5960D4BFB6D20D3222B3986F6930 D8647BCC5E6E8856E30A760B0D811297

Lara Fan 4Life
28-02-10, 15:49
While Legend wasn't a good TR game, I would't go as far as saing it's the worse game I've ever playing in my life ...

larafan25
28-02-10, 16:10
Legend is a good game and a good tomb raider game, there is no doubt about it being tomb raider and lara croft. I preffer CD's next two games because they show constant improvement.:)

Phlip
28-02-10, 16:56
Legend is a good game and a good tomb raider game, there is no doubt about it being tomb raider and lara croft. I preffer CD's next two games because they show constant improvement.:)

What did Underworld improve on over Anniversary?

Ward Dragon
28-02-10, 17:06
What did Underworld improve on over Anniversary?

Compared to Legend, TRU improved: No headset, levels were a bit more complex, hints were optional, story was less intrusive upon gameplay, the dialogue was better, the vehicle was actually pretty good, and overall the game had a better atmosphere.

Compared to TRA, TRU improved: The pathway was a bit less obvious, ledges blended in a little better, Lara's capabilities were expanded so the level design was a bit more varied, Lara actually reacted as if walls were solid, no interactive cutscenes, Lara's personality was much closer to her classic self (especially in the DLC)

Caesum
28-02-10, 17:23
Well I think that interactive cutscenes in TRL/TRA were better than bullet times in Underworld. :>

almayah
28-02-10, 17:23
Compared to Legend, TRU improved: No headset, levels were a bit more complex, hints were optional, story was less intrusive upon gameplay, the dialogue was better, the vehicle was actually pretty good, and overall the game had a better atmosphere.

You forgot,...gameplay :pi:
And yeah Underworld did improve
+ underworld is fun ;)

Ward Dragon
28-02-10, 17:31
You forgot,...gameplay :pi:

I tried to break it down a bit and explain why TRU's gameplay was better :) (more complex levels, more variety in level traversal, hints are optional, the one true path was much less obvious and in some places there were alternate routes, etc.)

shadow_fire
28-02-10, 17:38
I love playing Legend, though I prefer AoD over it any day.
I can see where people are comming from when they diss Legend....but its not a bad game... really.

Mind you it is kinda fun poking fun at it :p or have AoD Lara poke fun at Legend Lara :p

Phlip
28-02-10, 17:49

Compared to TRA, TRU improved: The pathway was a bit less obvious, ledges blended in a little better, Lara's capabilities were expanded so the level design was a bit more varied, Lara actually reacted as if walls were solid, no interactive cutscenes, Lara's personality was much closer to her classic self (especially in the DLC)

I see, but I think overall Anniversary was better. They shouldn't have taken some and then added some. (Taken away game length for more moves etc.)

jackles
28-02-10, 18:50
Interesting. well if Legend wasn't a TR I might have played it as a filler game but I would have had no expectations from it at all so therefore it wouldn't have mattered if I did/didn't enjoy it that much. But just sticking the TR label on it means that I had certain expectations from a game...and LEGEND wasn't it.

Ashnod
28-02-10, 18:52
If it hadn't been a TR game I very likely wouldn't have played it. Because it was a TR game and its reviews were favorable, I played it and it brought me back to the franchise after TR3 killed it for me.

danjodan
28-02-10, 19:59
I would have played Legend if it was not a tomb raider game because I like legend type games..:tea:

Thea
02-03-10, 12:41
If Legend didn't pretend to be a TR game, maybe it would be a bit more acceptable for me. But in that case, most likely I would not bother to play it at all, because I hardly play other games than TR :ton:

almayah
19-03-10, 13:44
If Legend didn't pretend to be a TR game, maybe it would be a bit more acceptable for me. But in that case, most likely I would not bother to play it at all, because I hardly play other games than TR :ton:

You go girl(boy :o)

Nenya awakens
19-03-10, 13:59
Legend did have some brilliant moments, like the old church coming into view out of the distance in the cavern under the King Arthur attraction, but, I find it hard to play the game now with the constant shiny surfaces and the help icons flashing up every second, It ruins the experience for me.

peeves
19-03-10, 14:57
I hate Legend myself and I'm a Legend and Underworld basher.
Legend was too goddamn short same with underworld, completely different than the first 6 games. Easy as pie no wonder i never tried to beat this game with no medi packs. Controls are also terrible.

Drone
19-03-10, 16:14
I didn't like Legend. Yup it had tombs, action and Lara. But it was different Lara, not Lara I used to know well. And different adventures, not challenging at all. Puzzles didn't confuse at all. Game had really good graphics and serpent battle was interesting. But something was missing, something really important and essential, some people would understand.

Legend is not a bad video game but I don't see it as real tr game.

almayah
19-03-10, 17:59
Crystal was trying so hard to change Lara's additude, and they did it. If Legend isn't pretending to be a Tomb Raider game, or worse to call the game a Tomb Raider.
It was their first time, but they had 6 games to play and figure out that a tomb raider isn't a game with 8 levels.
And what's with the stupid turn-over. In legend Lara is a silly, humoristic girl wich is bulletproof, has excalibur and soul reaver, infinitive ammo, and suddendly she is back- doesen't talk to zip(that's a good thing) stops looking at the life like it's all a childish game.

Shirley_Manson
22-03-10, 14:44
Legend was such fun to play, even though it didn't follow the path of previous TR games. It was like a ...summer breeze, short and refreshing.

Legend 4ever
29-03-10, 05:09
Legend is my favorite TR game. Always will be. So far, Underworld is the only one out of three that Crystal Dynamics made that really let me down.

Out of the classics I loved TR2 and TLR and hated TR1, TR3 and Chronicles. AOD was OK.

RunrigNutter
29-03-10, 08:56
I love tr 1 to 6 for obvious reasons :D

Didn't like Legend much as it was short, Anniversary was good, if annoying when it says what buttons to press. :)

Jami393
29-03-10, 10:50
TR Legend has to be one of the best TR games there is, I think Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant fresh start on the TR games. New Lara Croft, new moves, new levels, new characters and more realistic than Core Design could ever do with her.

Palace Midas
29-03-10, 14:22
I liked legend very much but I have to agree with that it is the least TRish TR.

You haven't played AOD i guess:D

LukeRaider
29-03-10, 17:23
Personally, I LOVED TR: legend. I never even finished AOD because eventually I just got frustrated with it and didn't feel like starting the game up again.

But then Legend came along, and the graphics, the music, the various atmospheres, and the exciting game events (even if you don't like the storyline itself, you've got to admit that all the action involved is at least a little exciting ;) ) just totally immersed me into it. It was more like watching the Tomb Raider movie I had always wanted than playing a game.

Sure, it's different than the Core games, but I don't think of the Crystal games as better or worse; I just try to appreciate every one for its own strengths, not bash it or uphold it because of how little or much it copies the other games. :)

the ancient
29-03-10, 18:43
I love Legend being a TR game, its a TR for me, if it was not a TR I probably would never buy it...

This :)

Alpharaider47
04-04-10, 17:36
I liked Legend personally. TR or not it was decent. I think it was a great reboot, and probably attracted more non TR fans due to its more action packed style. It was a nice combination of puzzles and action, much like Resident Evil 5 has been for the Resident Evil series. So yeah, I probably would have bought it anyways...

lunavixen
05-04-10, 12:05
i have the articles from several "Playstation 2" magazines about Legend before it was released, Legend is covered for three issues. in some of the art, Lara has a braid, it's in the last of the articles/reviews/previews, i'd scan them but my scanner doesn't work yet

xXhayleyroxXx
05-04-10, 12:11
i have the articles from several "Playstation 2" magazines about Legend before it was released, Legend is covered for three issues. in some of the art, Lara has a braid, it's in the last of the articles/reviews/previews, i'd scan them but my scanner doesn't work yet

sounds interesting :) I'll check back when your scanner is fixed :cln:

Phlip
05-04-10, 16:17

Everyone already knows that Legend Lara was originally gonna have a braid. And it was perfect, tbh - it was a gorgeous ginger-brown with two hairbands. <3

larafan25
05-04-10, 17:14
^Such a shame...had they kept that braid there would be no legend haters.

Verdilet
05-04-10, 19:20
I personally don't understand why people criticise Legend for being "not enough of a TR game". I can understand that people liked the older TR games and wanted something similar, but even so, if it's a bad game then it's a bad game regardless of the title. For me, Legend wasn't a poor game because it "wasn't TR enough". It was a poor game because the story was uninteresting, the gameplay was unremarkable and Lara's character was really annoying, among various other things. Not very good for the series' reputation, but still, the problems with the game have nothing to do with the title.

Mytly
05-04-10, 19:47
^I guess what people mean by "not enough of a TR game" is that Legend did not have the elements usually associated with TR. They may not have been bad game elements, but they are not in the usual style of TR.

Verdilet
05-04-10, 21:12
True, but even lacking these TR elements, Legend could have been a good game. It might not have been what people were expecting and may have been initially disappointing, but that would hardly have mattered if the game had still been an enjoyable experience.

Mytly
05-04-10, 21:22
Well, but that's a matter of opinion, isn't it? I myself enjoyed Legend thoroughly. Obviously other people didn't. ;)

Verdilet
05-04-10, 21:28
Of course. I just don't see why some people seem to need their TR games to be exactly the same as the classics for them to be able to enjoy them, but maybe that's just me.

Mytly
05-04-10, 21:47
IMO, it's not about needing all TR games to be like the Classics, but more about wanting a familiar formula back. People who don't play too many other games except the TR series (including me) play them mainly because they liked the specific style and formula of the Classics. Games that broke away from that formula may not appeal to them precisely because they have a very specific taste in games, which these un-TR-like TRs do not cater to. As I mentioned earlier, I do like Legend, but I did not like AoD, and one of the major reasons for that was because it was so unlike the rest of the games.

(Btw, I mentioned AoD only as an example. I do not intend to start a AoD vs. Legend war here.)

Phlip
05-04-10, 22:56

Braid or no braid it's still an embarrassingly abysmal instalment to the series.

Paddy
06-04-10, 00:49
Braid or no braid it's still an embarrassingly abysmal instalment to the series.

It really is. No argument there from me.

You seriously think people hate Legend because of the braid or lack of?
Theres better reasons to think of to hate Legend.

Dennis's Mom
06-04-10, 01:06
*sigh* I had such high hopes for Legend. I don't know if I would have liked the game had it not had TR on the cover. It was simply too . . . uninspired on so many levels. It felt like they took every hot trend from recently successful games (notably GOW and POP) added what they believed to be the essence of TR (tombs, twin pistols and t*ts), mixed well and poured. The result disappointed me so much that I can't tell you whether I would have like the game.

I don't blame anyone for liking it. I simply cannot set aside my expectations to play it objectively. There's no point in having a franchise, IMO, if you can't have expectations as to what the game should be. If I order a Coke, I don't want a Sprite. Sprite may be a great soda, but it's not a Coke.

Joshorty
07-04-10, 07:13
^I'm one of those bummed out ones too. And you know how hyped we all were?! The first trailer that showed off this game blew me away (and that's what trailers do these days). Especially when the Legend site opened up, the first design had Lara under some cave with water falls behind her. You hear the falls and also the original Tomb Raider (1) Theme. That told me a million things in one second. It was going to be a new Tomb Raider game, unlike AoD (with my respect to what's good of that game). It was going to be epic and action-packed. It was a serious A-rated title that shouldn't be too embarrassing to play in front of others. I thought this game was IT.

Still, this game holds special memories to me. I just played it a few minutes ago actually, replaying Bolivia and Croft Manor. I gotta say this game sticks with me in my April 2006 memories, one of the best months/times of my life. So now I can't help but play this game every April :) Still everytime I play it, I do feel and wish and think that this game could have been much more. It could have been what I thought about this game, that resulted in something it was not. SIGH.

almayah
26-04-10, 13:14

Braid is something classic players remember
It's like changing Lara's classic outfit that she wore all the time(oh wait they did :mad:), changing Lara's breast size, taking away her dual pistols(AoD doesen't count, it's eidos's fault)

1ghostkid
26-04-10, 16:41
I don't have TRL yet, but for what I have played on Demo and looked on Youtube, It looks cool. If it didn't have the Tomb Raider graphics or anything like that it would suck I bet.

hitnrun017
26-04-10, 17:00
I played Crystal's Tomb Raider games before any of Core's (besides AoD but we won't mention that), and I absolutely love Legend. So well polished, Lara's personality, the levels, story... and the infamous mommy plot. (Even I found Zip and Alister annoying though :p) But anyways, I recently finished playing Tomb Raider 1 and 2 on the PSN and I can definitely see how fans of the series since the beginning would be upset.

Still love Legend though. ;)

Fyler
28-04-10, 00:20
I think if they'd combined Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld like they originally did (I think that was Plan A, yes?) it would have gone over a bit better. I actually liked it a lot upon playing it for the first time, although I had much more difficulty with Anniversary xD Legend seemed a lot easier.

I think Lara's movements in Legend were better than Anni, and I liked the outfits (not the ridiculous ones like Legend, PINK!) along with the enviroments, but it was just too short and too easy. That was the only problem with it. If all the stuff in Tomb Raider Underworld had been included in Legend, I think it would have been dang awesome. :)

I still like it though, Legend is probably number one for my Tomb Raider games as of now. Right now I'm trying to defeat the Ps1 Tomb Raider I, and finding I suck at Core games. xD

1ghostkid
28-04-10, 04:52
I think if they'd combined Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld like they originally did (I think that was Plan A, yes?) it would have gone over a bit better. I actually liked it a lot upon playing it for the first time, although I had much more difficulty with Anniversary xD Legend seemed a lot easier.

I think Lara's movements in Legend were better than Anni, and I liked the outfits (not the ridiculous ones like Legend, PINK!) along with the enviroments, but it was just too short and too easy. That was the only problem with it. If all the stuff in Tomb Raider Underworld had been included in Legend, I think it would have been dang awesome. :)

I still like it though, Legend is probably number one for my Tomb Raider games as of now. Right now I'm trying to defeat the Ps1 Tomb Raider I, and finding I suck at Core games. xD

Correct, I think Legend will be a great game, I haven't gotten yet but it should come tomorrow, ebay...
Off topic: got Tomb Raider 1 - 6 for only 19.99$ :D.

Legend of Lara
28-04-10, 12:51
I'd accept it more if it bore the title 'Officer Blondieboob's Murderous Rampage', but that's just me.

paulwork
28-04-10, 20:30
I have been saying for a while now that TRL is not a proper Tomb Raider game. It has Lara Croft in it, and that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

TRL should have been a spin-off game and disassociated from the title "Tomb Raider" altogether.

As critical as I am about GOL, I think if CD could have gone back in time and had branded TRL as e.g. "Lara Croft and the Legend" it would have hurt their image and TR brand prestige less than it has done.

While TRL was CDs debut title, I suppose it was fair to cut them some slack. Today however, is 5 years later.

Sorry, but CD are not the new kids on the block any more in 2010. Their grace period has well and truly passed, so nobody should be making excuses for CD anymore. Their time is up. They have pretty much had exactly the same time and opportunities to grow the TR franchise and provide mind-bending challenging gameplay, as Core had.

Actually, if you include the fact that for a first-time debut title like TRL, CD should have been at an advantage over Core. They had the privillege of advisors this and consultants that (e.g. Toby Gard) and a whole wealth of creative talent thrown at it. Plus cost-free advice, ideas and suggestions from Tomb Raider fansites - basically more cost-free consulting than you can shake a stick at. Core had none, or very little of that at the debut of TR1 (unless you count a good mutual relationship with Sony)

Fyler
28-04-10, 23:01
Correct, I think Legend will be a great game, I haven't gotten yet but it should come tomorrow, ebay...
Off topic: got Tomb Raider 1 - 6 for only 19.99$ :D.

It is pretty good! :) Be sure to check out its next-gen graphics!

Nice, I don't have very many of the originals. Yay flea-markets. xD

Vinkula
29-04-10, 12:07

Same here. It's fantastic TR game :)

voltz
03-05-10, 12:10
While I accept this as Tomb Raider, all I'd ask for is a longer game and more polished. Damn Eidos and their time constraints!

NightsGoneSour
03-05-10, 12:23
Legend (the following is all my opinion) to me is a great game, would I say great Tomb Raider game?

Maybe...The games locations were great, it was nice to see Croft Manor even though it has being reduced dramatically...

Lara is in it, her dual pistols are back! And the pistols have had a proper make over...

And most of all you could dress up Lara in lots of cool outfits! Well the variations e.g. pink jacket, winter weren't needed it was nice to play through the game and unlock the various outfits and well replay the level and wear you fave!!! :D It was also a hoot finding all the rewards and unlocking the swimmsuits (got 100%, thus I got thee swimsuit!). And the games do resemble the movies which are incredible video game movies...

All of those are great but the things that hold it down are:
-Very short levels
-A.I. in the game is a case of what I like to call A.B.N.I (Artificial.But.No.Intelligence)...Shame how lots of games have it these days...
- Lack of item fetching and puzzles. The puzzles were the same it was always pressure plates...Every puzzle involved something to do with a pressure plate...
- Zip and Alister...
- Too easy, I dont expect the games to be hard but I want some sort of difficulty (Underworld nearly achieved this...)

Shark_Blade
03-05-10, 12:31
I'd still be pretty ****ed if it wasn't a tr game because:

1. The game was short
2. There's hardly any challenge to it
3. The story was crap.
4. The main character is such an emotional bimbo wuss that deserve to be hit on the head with a frying pan.
5. The repetitive scenery in the motorbike sequence boils my blood.
6. Noisy nitwits on air 24/7 in the game.
5. I paid good money for it.

NightsGoneSour
03-05-10, 12:42
I'd still be pretty ****ed if it wasn't a tr game because:

4. The main character is such an emotional bimbo wuss that deserve to be hit on the head with a frying pan.

I must stop you there, in fact Legend's Lara from CD was the most witty and sarcastic, however she did lose it in the last levels though...Amanda Evert deserves a hit on the head though...The pratagonist of the game is so...Ugh.

Shark_Blade
03-05-10, 14:16
I must stop you there, in fact Legend's Lara from CD was the most witty and sarcasticBwahaha. :vlol: I'm sorry, you must pardon me. I thought you were serious.
Oh you are? Well then, I don't agree with you, but nevertheless it's your opinion.

She was the least "witty and sarcastic" Lara to me. I can name a few but not tonight, a bit tired. If you can look at the threads during the time when Legend was launched, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions that highlights that Legend Lara was as fake as press-on-nails.

She’s so whiny and such a know-it-all that I want to punch her in the face everytime she opens her mouth. And I absolutely love Lara, she's my idol. Something is seriously wrong if I want to punch my hero of the past 10 years in the face.

almayah
03-05-10, 14:55
Bwahaha. :vlol: I'm sorry, you must pardon me. I thought you were serious.
Oh you are? Well then, I don't agree with you, but nevertheless it's your opinion.

She was the least "witty and sarcastic" Lara to me. I can name a few but not tonight, a bit tired. If you can look at the threads during the time when Legend was launched, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions that highlights that Legend Lara was as fake as press-on-nails.

She’s so whiny and such a know-it-all that I want to punch her in the face everytime she opens her mouth. And I absolutely love Lara, she's my idol. Something is seriously wrong if I want to punch my hero of the past 10 years in the face.

:vlol:
Punching
:rolleyes:

klona
06-05-10, 10:17
Well, for me the story was nice, but it was kind of short...
Hey, what do you think if Legend and underworld was one game? :O

Legend of Lara
11-05-10, 13:07
I must stop you there, in fact Legend's Lara from CD was the most witty and sarcastic, however she did lose it in the last levels though...Amanda Evert deserves a hit on the head though...The pratagonist of the game is so...Ugh.

Pratagonist? You mean "protagonist"? The protagonist is Lara...

Liberta
11-05-10, 13:49
Bwahaha. :vlol: I'm sorry, you must pardon me. I thought you were serious.

Tehehe, You made me laugh, so true though :mis:

but felt obliged to love it , she's Lara anyways :rolleyes:

cezy rockeru
18-05-10, 16:12
Well even though Legend is the worst TR game, it was Crystal's first try, it's just that some people don't understand that....
I totally agree !
Legend was their first TR game :mad:[CD's]
I would like to see what TR game can do the Legend haters :tea: I'm sure it would be more ugly and boring than Mario:ton::jmp::cln:
Some of you hate Legend,saying that it hasn't tombs or artifacts..BUT STUPID PEOPLE,HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ABOUT EXCALIBUR?????? It's an artifact,like all the others ._.
or...KING ARTHUR'S TOMB??
I'm sure at least 50% of the Legend haters haven't even played or finished that game o_O
[[[[[[[[~~~I'm sorry if my English sucks :)~~~]]]]]]]]

xXhayleyroxXx
18-05-10, 16:57
^^ I agree, for a first try it was brilliant and brought interest back to a dying series. Its also a game I love replaying

LauraC
18-05-10, 18:24
Well, I loved Legend when I first played it and actually I still do.
Legend was the first game I played (well, besides Harry Potter but that doesn't really count xD) and it was a good place to start, I think. It was easy enough to finish it on my own but hard enough that it was still fun. The only crappy thing was in my opinion the damn camera. Especially when you play it on PC it's really annoying; you have to work with the mouse to change the camera angle, it was such a pain in the ass (even the camera-center control didn't always work!).
I think Legend was a great way to attract new people to a relatively quiet franchise. There didn't happen a lot for a few years; I think many people besides the die-hard fans such as us forgot about the game altogether. And I think Crystal did a good job, it was a nice game. Not outstanding (I think Underworld got close, though) but very nice.
So yes, I would definitely buy it even if it wasn't a TR game :D:p

Mr GaGa
20-05-10, 00:33
TRL is like my favorite tomb raider game ever. Crystal did everything right. Lara looked how he was supposed to look and the story was a great new start for the series. A little longer single player campaign would have been nice:jmp:. TRL had so many good bonuses and extras that I felt compelled to replay it and get 100%. Some TR fans were just mad because core was gone and just wanted to bash it for no reason even though core almost killed the franchise(My opinion ofcourse don't get mad people:)) and crystal saved it EPICLY!!!!!!.

Ward Dragon
20-05-10, 00:58
Some TR fans were just mad because core was gone and just wanted to bash it for no reason even though core almost killed the franchise(My opinion ofcourse don't get mad people:)) and crystal saved it EPICLY!!!!!!.

That certainly doesn't apply to everyone who was disappointed with Legend. I was already quite familiar with Crystal by the time Legend came out since I love the Legacy of Kain series much more than Tomb Raider, so I was expecting the LoK developers to really take TR to a whole new level of awesomeness. Instead I got a watered-down streamlined Hollywood style experience that disappointed me in every way possible. I did not like the story or the dialogue, Lara was a very annoying person that I'd hate to have to deal with on a regular basis, and I would have much rather learned about Amanda's past but the game neglected to explain her motivations or what she really wanted. The camera/controls were not as good as they were in Soul Reaver 2, the puzzles were ridiculously simple, and the game practically had a built-in walkthrough between the constant headset dialogue and the mandatory camera fly-by's that couldn't be skipped. Combat was boring and the bike chases were even worse because of how tedious and redundant they were. As for graphics, the "current gen" version of the game had no atmosphere and they could have done so much more to set the mood by changing the lighting around. The "next gen" version was a bit better with the lighting, but all of the textures looked rubbery and fake. Also I hate interactive cutscenes and cliffhanger endings in general, so the game didn't do itself any favors by including both.

Mr GaGa
20-05-10, 02:28
That certainly doesn't apply to everyone who was disappointed with Legend. I was already quite familiar with Crystal by the time Legend came out since I love the Legacy of Kain series much more than Tomb Raider, so I was expecting the LoK developers to really take TR to a whole new level of awesomeness. Instead I got a watered-down streamlined Hollywood style experience that disappointed me in every way possible. I did not like the story or the dialogue, Lara was a very annoying person that I'd hate to have to deal with on a regular basis, and I would have much rather learned about Amanda's past but the game neglected to explain her motivations or what she really wanted. The camera/controls were not as good as they were in Soul Reaver 2, the puzzles were ridiculously simple, and the game practically had a built-in walkthrough between the constant headset dialogue and the mandatory camera fly-by's that couldn't be skipped. Combat was boring and the bike chases were even worse because of how tedious and redundant they were. As for graphics, the "current gen" version of the game had no atmosphere and they could have done so much more to set the mood by changing the lighting around. The "next gen" version was a bit better with the lighting, but all of the textures looked rubbery and fake. Also I hate interactive cutscenes and cliffhanger endings in general, so the game didn't do itself any favors by including both.

Well we agree to disagree;)(always wanted to say that:D)

Ward Dragon
20-05-10, 02:42
Well we agree to disagree;)(always wanted to say that:D)

As long as you acknowledge that other people can genuinely dislike the game for valid reasons then we're cool :p I don't mind that other people like the game.

Mr GaGa
20-05-10, 02:56
As long as you acknowledge that other people can genuinely dislike the game for valid reasons then we're cool :p I don't mind that other people like the game.

I know that some people have there own reasons for disliking the game. Thats why I said "some people" in my previous post:).

Ward Dragon
20-05-10, 02:58
I know that some people have there own reasons for disliking the game. Thats why I said "some people" in my previous post:).

Ah, okay. I misunderstood what you were implying then, but I understand now :)

Dennis's Mom
20-05-10, 12:56
I'd accept it more if it bore the title 'Officer Blondieboob's Murderous Rampage', but that's just me.

Major lulz. :D

Although that title could have applied to huge swaths of TR3 as well.

RAID
20-05-10, 17:00
Legend was a good...break. But it got real old real quick...The fact that it's only 2 hours long doesn't help it.

cezy rockeru
20-05-10, 17:40
Well, I loved Legend when I first played it and actually I still do.
Legend was the first game I played (well, besides Harry Potter but that doesn't really count xD) and it was a good place to start, I think. It was easy enough to finish it on my own but hard enough that it was still fun. The only crappy thing was in my opinion the damn camera. Especially when you play it on PC it's really annoying; you have to work with the mouse to change the camera angle, it was such a pain in the ass (even the camera-center control didn't always work!).
I think Legend was a great way to attract new people to a relatively quiet franchise. There didn't happen a lot for a few years; I think many people besides the die-hard fans such as us forgot about the game altogether. And I think Crystal did a good job, it was a nice game. Not outstanding (I think Underworld got close, though) but very nice.
So yes, I would definitely buy it even if it wasn't a TR game :D:p
I recommend you The Angel Of Darkness!![Core's last TR game:)]It's a little harder and gothic[just a bit]..and it has some new characters unseen in the other TR games..:DThe levels are great,fun,but also a little difficult[if it wouldn't be difficult,it wouldn't be fun,so..:ton:]..In my opinion,it's the 2nd amazing TR game..[Legend is 1st;)]..so..I recomment it to you,because I think you would love it:jmp:

LauraC
24-05-10, 10:21
I'll certainly look for it, but I don't know if I can find it anywhere... I live in Holland and it's not half as popular here as in the USA, for instance. I saw a couple of levels on youtube... I really liked the feel of it! Scared the crap out of me sometimes, but OK :o:D I really liked her moves, like the stealth mode and how she could kill the guards from behind and knock them down. That was awesome!

Btw, I'm currently replaying Legend (I'm in West-Africa now) and it's still amazing, even the 2nd time through:)

JDSmith260792
24-05-10, 12:08
Legend didnt disappoint me in anyway and it has a rightful place in the Tomb Raider series. Yes it dont have the atmosphere or longness of the firsts in the series but overall it is still a very good game. :D

Nenya awakens
24-05-10, 12:18
Legend annoys me so much when I replay it, The headset, The help icons and flashy hints, The annoying boring Boss battles, Easy and repetitive gameplay and combat.

Only good thing that came from legend imo was the beautifully stunning music.

Johnnay
24-05-10, 12:38
Legend annoys me so much when I replay it, The headset, The help icons and flashy hints, The annoying boring Boss battles, Easy and repetitive gameplay and combat.

Only good thing that came from legend imo was the beautifully stunning music.

this:tmb:

TR47
01-09-10, 10:24
Legends is a TR game for me, I loved it! I dont see why people dont like it. Yea it doesnt have the same atmosphere or complexity of the classic games, but its still a good TR game imo :)

cezy rockeru
02-09-10, 15:08
Legends is a TR game for me, I loved it! I dont see why people dont like it. Yea it doesnt have the same atmosphere or complexity of the classic games, but its still a good TR game imo :)

:tmb::tmb:

trXD
03-09-10, 13:39
Even though I played the classics all through my childhood, I really loved legend when it came out, it was a short thrill ride and there is nothing wrong with that :)

TRShock
04-09-10, 13:10
No, I think that TR is one of my fave TR games, it's not hard, good places, artifacts, it was my first ever played TR game and I loooove it more than Anniversary, AOD, or the previous other :)

cbragg09
04-09-10, 15:05
The headset, The help icons and flashy hints, Easy and repetitive gameplay and combat.

Yeah, I mean Tomb Raider Legend was a decent game overall. I mean I can have fun and replay it buts its not as stunning, or captivating and challenging as the older ones IMO

Chocola teapot
04-09-10, 17:14
No.

Weemanply109
27-09-10, 21:48

Completely agree with this :tmb:

Although, I did get the feeling that they tried to make it too easy.

DillonDeBoda
28-09-10, 04:06
Completely agree with this :tmb:

Although, I did get the feeling that they tried to make it too easy.

I also agree I do get the feeling they tried to make it easy but I also thought it was a great Tomb Raider :) I did love the graphics a lot on the 360 and I hate how people thought she looked Asian I mean online videos she dose look Asian but if you have it on a TV at home in front of you she really dose not look Asian at all. Sorry for going off topic lol.

LNSNHGTDS
28-09-10, 11:54
Legend was easy only cause CD brought new TR fans,it was the first game so they neede to make it easy for the newbied,I'm sure they didn't thought that the old fans would be upset about it.Zip and Alistair were there to help the new fans get into the TR world.Then in Underworld the headset was removed cause the new fans didn't neede any help anymore.I personally love Legend,it's one of my favourite TR's and I consider it a TR.I consider all of the TR's the same(With the exception that gameply and some gadgets were changed) and I really don't understand the title "classic" which is given to the first three(or four,IDK) TR's.That's all :p

xmamacitax
10-10-10, 15:31
nah, I thaught core design made the game at first because I didnt knew they were fired ... I thaught legend was to easy to fast its not realistic how much she can do, the puzzles were easy, idk know about you guys but I think it was cheap. I love underworld. it gave me an tombish feeling.

Horus-Goddess
17-10-10, 09:13
I'm pretty much with others about Legend. It is my least favourite TR simply because, like others said, it was far too easy and they turned the storyline completely in over itself. The change to Lara's backstory frustrated me more than I can explain. -.- That and, like others said, she became this happy go lucky type of character, which to me is not Lara lol.

I grew up playing the classic TR games since I was like 11 or 12 (am 24 now just to give you an idea lol) so... the large jump from AOD (which I personally have come to love as my favourite TR after replaying it again) to Legend was just too much. Lara went from a complex, deep character to this... this... Thing that is Legend Lara. XD;; I dunno, but that's me.

However I don't hate all of CD's games by any stretch. I did enjoy all of them. I liked Anniversary because the levels were longer, the game was longer, and it was very nostalgic (still wish TRAE would be released tho lol). And so far Underworld has been my favourite of CD's TR games simply because it was starting to feel a hellova lot more TRish. Darker atmosphere, Lara was more herself though still too "nice" imo... the artwork was stunning. And hey, they killed off one of the annoying characters. :P Oh, and can't forget the Doppelganger. She for me was my favourite aspect because it was like... there's what Lara should be. :O

But I'm getting off topic.

Guess all I'm saying is that I liked Legend and I played it through and unlocked everything. It was a good game but would I have bought it hadn't it bore the Tomb Raider name? Probably not. Wasn't worth the $50 imo to spend all of what, 4 hours total with all unlocks? Maybe less. :/

Mikky
17-10-10, 10:09
TRL is, and will always be, my favourite TR. The feeling I had when I first played it simply indescribable. It was just so fresh and so now, but at the same time, still had that feeling of a classic TR with the amazing environments. I loved everything about it. Lara looked so beautiful and perfect, the combat was really fun, and I even liked Zip and Alistair chatting away at Lara's ear. The story was absolutely amazing. It was like reading a book you couldn't put down, and I never thought a TR story would be this good. And the cliffhanger at the end... I was like "OMG! WTF?!" but in a "Wow" kinda way! :D

People might of not liked CD's takeover, but I will always believe it was the best thing to happen to Tomb Raider! Thank you CD! :gki:

And would I buy this if this wasn't a TR game? I don't to want even think about that. :p

xmamacitax
17-10-10, 10:15
I'm pretty much with others about Legend. It is my least favourite TR simply because, like others said, it was far too easy and they turned the storyline completely in over itself. The change to Lara's backstory frustrated me more than I can explain. -.- That and, like others said, she became this happy go lucky type of character, which to me is not Lara lol.

I grew up playing the classic TR games since I was like 11 or 12 (am 24 now just to give you an idea lol) so... the large jump from AOD (which I personally have come to love as my favourite TR after replaying it again) to Legend was just too much. Lara went from a complex, deep character to this... this... Thing that is Legend Lara. XD;; I dunno, but that's me.

However I don't hate all of CD's games by any stretch. I did enjoy all of them. I liked Anniversary because the levels were longer, the game was longer, and it was very nostalgic (still wish TRAE would be released tho lol). And so far Underworld has been my favourite of CD's TR games simply because it was starting to feel a hellova lot more TRish. Darker atmosphere, Lara was more herself though still too "nice" imo... the artwork was stunning. And hey, they killed off one of the annoying characters. :P Oh, and can't forget the Doppelganger. She for me was my favourite aspect because it was like... there's what Lara should be. :O

But I'm getting off topic.

Guess all I'm saying is that I liked Legend and I played it through and unlocked everything. It was a good game but would I have bought it hadn't it bore the Tomb Raider name? Probably not. Wasn't worth the $50 imo to spend all of what, 4 hours total with all unlocks? Maybe less. :/

its not only you... I FEEL THE SAME AS YOU!:D

LNSNHGTDS
17-10-10, 10:20
TRL is, and will always be, my favourite TR. The feeling I had when I first played it simply indescribable. It was just so fresh and so now, but at the same time, still had that feeling of a classic TR with the amazing environments. I loved everything about it. Lara looked so beautiful and perfect, the combat was really fun, and I even liked Zip and Alistair chatting away at Lara's ear. The story was absolutely amazing. It was like reading a book you couldn't put down, and I never thought a TR story would be this good. And the cliffhanger at the end... I was like "OMG! WTF?!" but in a "Wow" kinda way! :D

People might of not liked CD's takeover, but I will always believe it was the best thing to happen to Tomb Raider! Thank you CD! :gki:

And would I buy this if this wasn't a TR game? I don't to want even think about that. :p

All these are true!!! :D Legend's plot and characters were awsome but then Underworld came out and screwed it all :rolleyes: ...

Mikky
17-10-10, 11:20
All these are true!!! :D Legend's plot and characters were awsome but then Underworld came out and screwed it all :rolleyes: ...

Hey, TRU's story wasn't that bad. :p It had it's moments. :D

LNSNHGTDS
17-10-10, 12:04
Hey, TRU's story wasn't that bad. :p It had it's moments. :D

Yeah,Natla's death,Thailand and the "hamma" line were good :vlol: but anyway,I just don't like this game,that's all :D .

Rileigh
27-10-10, 17:38
I really enjoyed Legend when I played it, mostly because of the TR associations: Lara, history, legends, tomb raiding (sort of). If it weren't TR, I don't think I'd have given it a second thought.

There were things i liked about it, and things that weren't so great, like the lack of challenging puzzles, the length (or lack of), the overly simplistic storyline. And I don't like "mummy" stories, it justs seems silly. Excalibur, Avalon: awesome. "I'm going to find mummy": Sure, whatever, see you. Yeah, yeah, headset was a welcome surprise to me. I adored Zip and Alister. A bit in your face, but it was only for one game, and it wasn't exactly long.

Legend is the one I want to love, but can't because it's just not complex and gripping as a game. The only reason I play it now is to have a bit of fun and to hear Zip and Alister, because I could complete it blindfolded.

As a game (unassociated with TR), it just wasn't brilliant. My brother liked it the first time (I think mostly because it was something he could play without having to use his brain), and found it okay the second, but I don't think he ever went back to it. He's played TR games, but never really got into them; I do believe Legend was the first TR game he's actually completed.
And that's testament in itself to how underdone it was. Like they went "We have this idea" but then forget to flesh it out.

batotesic
27-10-10, 17:57
Well i didn't like Legend because i prefer TR games that are more "in-the-wilderness", and TRL was like a urban game.

I like it when i see Lara exploring all the ancient locations. Seeing her climb rooftops and buildings in Japan and other cities doesn't say Tomb Raider. It says GTA or Mirror's Edge more...
But other than that, i liked it :)

Mytly
28-10-10, 22:08
Japan was the only city location in Legend. All other levels involved Lara exploring ancient places, or at least isolated ones. :rolleyes:

lord gaga
28-10-10, 23:01
Japan was the only city location in Legend. All other levels involved Lara exploring ancient places, or at least isolated ones. :rolleyes:

Yes very true and even if it's that peru town it still feels isolated. Even the rooftops felt errie in japan.

anniversarytr11
29-10-10, 07:06
I liked legend as a game but as a Tomb Raider game I detested it, almost everything of Tomb Raider was non-existant and I felt it was an insult to the series

cezy rockeru
29-10-10, 11:50
I liked legend as a game but as a Tomb Raider game I detested it, almost everything of Tomb Raider was non-existant and I felt it was an insult to the series

I don't get it:confused:

batotesic
29-10-10, 17:50

Yes, but again everything felt very urban, atleast for me :rolleyes:

Mytly
31-10-10, 19:24
'Urban' isn't a feeling, it's a type of setting, i.e. a city setting. If what you mean is that there were too many people around, especially too many human enemies, then you're right. But by that measure, the most 'urban' levels in TR are the Maria Doria levels of TR2, which are simply crawling with human enemies.

Avalon SARL
01-11-10, 14:09
Being Easy does not mean this game is not TR
It was full of tombs and things to explore..
it was just EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, that's all :p

JACOBryanBURNS
10-11-10, 15:57
I don't know why I'm even bothering to post in this thread. But alas, here I am. . .

When I first popped in my Legend disc on my PS2 and started in on the adventure, I was awestruck. Never before had Lara looked this good, moved this good, and never had her surroundings been so immensely detailed. I can recall how different I found this game to be from my previous Tomb Raider experiences and how effectively it was proving to be fun. To anybody comparing this game to the "classics", you're not doing a very good job of comparing. It is a totally different formula for Tomb Raider. One that doesn't always provide a solid experience, but neither did aspects of Tomb Raiders 1-6. I have always found Tomb Raider: Legend fun to play. It's a more "light" approach to the experience we've become accustomed to, of course. But it WAS Crystal Dynamic's first installment and kind of an introductory volume. For me, it was no different that when I played the original Tomb Raider. I thought that game was pretty cut-and-dry. The only thing that separates the experience is the vastness in technology and gaming. Lara isn't slow as snails, now and she can traverse the environment in maaany new ways. Granted, the motorbike sequences were crap, as well as the circular arena boss fights (which all ended up being the exact same fight, to me.), and the never ending battles with mercenaries kind of took me out of the fray at times. . . but overall, I like the game. I think it's fun and if you aren't feeling up to really exerting yourself to play a Tomb Raider, then it's a good game to have handy.

And if it wasn't a Tomb Raider title, I wouldn't even know about it. I literally only play Tomb Raider games.

lance6439
10-11-10, 16:55
its sad how 98.99999999999999 % of the people at TRF talk about Cons than Pro's about LC/TR why even consider yourself a FAN!?

Avalon SARL
10-11-10, 17:28
For me, i dont care this game was short...
I enjoyed it alot
I am so happy that this game saved the series from becoming dead and it was very right and just at many points and it is very TRish IMO :)

na_th_an
11-11-10, 09:26
I liked Legend as a TR game, there's only a few things I dislike, maybe the constant chatter by Zip & Allister and the fact that it is so damn easy and short. So if it were not a TR game, I guess I would dislike the very same things.

Because the fact why I hate the constant chatter by Zip & Allister is double: on one hand it's 'cause I love the isolation sensation TR always had, and on the other hand it's 'cause it is really annoying and adds nothing to the experience. So even not being a TR game, the second reason would still prevail.

And the fact that it is so damn easy and short is self explanatory. Even not being a TR game, I don't like games which are easy and short.

Anyways, as I said, I enjoy TRL from time to time. Being my least favourite for the aforementioned reasons, it's the TR game I've replayed most. Odd, but true. It's very fun to play and I love certain sections.

slowdiver
11-11-10, 10:17
I like Legend. The only gripe I have is that the old adage "quality over quantity" doesn't work for it. Had it been the same quality graphically and gameplay wise, but with twice as many levels, you could colour this panda happy :)

Shark_Blade
11-11-10, 12:35
Regardless if Legend is a tr game or not a tr game, it is still a boring ass game.

StarCroft:AOD
11-11-10, 14:23
TR:L was like "one night stand sex"... fast paced and enjoyable, although forgettable;)

JACOBryanBURNS
11-11-10, 15:59
TR:L was like "one night stand sex"... fast paced and enjoyable, although forgettable;)

Made of win. :vlol:

Vinkula
11-11-10, 16:03

To me, Legend is my wife! Not just "one night stand sex"! :)

Mytly
11-11-10, 19:24
I don't know why I'm even bothering to post in this thread. But alas, here I am. . .

When I first popped in my Legend disc on my PS2 and started in on the adventure, I was awestruck. Never before had Lara looked this good, moved this good, and never had her surroundings been so immensely detailed. I can recall how different I found this game to be from my previous Tomb Raider experiences and how effectively it was proving to be fun. To anybody comparing this game to the "classics", you're not doing a very good job of comparing. It is a totally different formula for Tomb Raider. One that doesn't always provide a solid experience, but neither did aspects of Tomb Raiders 1-6. I have always found Tomb Raider: Legend fun to play. It's a more "light" approach to the experience we've become accustomed to, of course. But it WAS Crystal Dynamic's first installment and kind of an introductory volume. For me, it was no different that when I played the original Tomb Raider. I thought that game was pretty cut-and-dry. The only thing that separates the experience is the vastness in technology and gaming. Lara isn't slow as snails, now and she can traverse the environment in maaany new ways. Granted, the motorbike sequences were crap, as well as the circular arena boss fights (which all ended up being the exact same fight, to me.), and the never ending battles with mercenaries kind of took me out of the fray at times. . . but overall, I like the game. I think it's fun and if you aren't feeling up to really exerting yourself to play a Tomb Raider, then it's a good game to have handy.

And if it wasn't a Tomb Raider title, I wouldn't even know about it. I literally only play Tomb Raider games.
I agree with almost every word. :) Well, except for the fact that I didn't mind the boss fights. ;)

jajay119
12-11-10, 00:02
I have said this many times before but, yes. Legend was a very well done, well polished game that delivered the story amazingly. The only things I didn't like about it were in the context of them not belonging in a Tomb Raider game, it they been part of another series, even the 'Lara Croft' series I would have fully enjoyed it!

Eddie Haskell
12-11-10, 13:56
I despise this game on many levels, but this one stands out:
As a Gamer's Gamer playing this game I felt insulted. Insulted that the new designers felt that we as gamers needed the Knights of Columbus to come to our rescue from an impossibly difficult game system. Newsflash, no gamer disabilities here...

jajay119
12-11-10, 16:45
As a Gamer's Gamer playing this game I felt insulted. Insulted that the new designers felt that we as gamers needed the Knights of Columbus to come to our rescue from an impossibly difficult game system. Newsflash, no gamer disabilities here...

It's because of statements like this that I wish this forum had a 'like' button!

tachyon
12-11-10, 17:34

I get your point, but the game developers have to think of everyone, not just expert gamers. A lot of people, self included, are not:o, and if the game were to be too difficult, we'd give up in frustration.

I believe the answer lies in the difficulty settings in the game. CD need to get creative in deciding what changes when the game is played under a different difficulty setting. Seems the ONLY things they change are how quickly Lara loses health wrt. her opponents, and maybe knock a few seconds off the time trials. That is not good enough - they need to do more, like making the route longer, adding new traps and enemies, etc. This will add replay value as well, making every one who finished the game on the easy setting want to try it again at a harder setting.

Eddie Haskell
13-11-10, 01:08
I get your point, but the game developers have to think of everyone, not just expert gamers. A lot of people, self included, are not:o, and if the game were to be too difficult, we'd give up in frustration.

I believe the answer lies in the difficulty settings in the game. CD need to get creative in deciding what changes when the game is played under a different difficulty setting. Seems the ONLY things they change are how quickly Lara loses health wrt. her opponents, and maybe knock a few seconds off the time trials. That is not good enough - they need to do more, like making the route longer, adding new traps and enemies, etc. This will add replay value as well, making every one who finished the game on the easy setting want to try it again at a harder setting.

I have no problem with game developers crafting their own games for the "challenged". But this series already possessed a somewhat unique challenging game system, and a fan base that expected a set of certain prerequisites that made the game "Tomb Raider".

But what happened? The entire dynamics of the game were altered, and the second-to-second challenge was obliterated. No longer were you on the edge of your seat as you maneuvered through a treacherous landscape, because you as a gamer were no longer trusted to be able to do it. As I said, the game was gutted and left with nothing but beauty and fluff, but they knew this as well. So what did they do? They decided to add difficulty via gimmicks and gadgets. The only problem was that the challenge of these bolted on gimmicks was transitory...there use was brief, and once you learned them they were no longer the arduous undertaking that they were at the start.

But, in the classics you were Lara. You had to control her second to second...one slip-up and she was dead. You needed to focus as if you were the one that was there. No Legend-like gliding over the faux obstacle course on a a bed of air, no leaping out haphazardly towards an uncertain destination, no unconsciously grabbing onto the nearest safe handhold... it goes on and on.

They need to find a way to return a whole lot more control to us. Bring back some of that uncertainty, bring back some of that fear, bring back the challenge.

Tiigerliily
13-11-10, 09:32
I think Legend is a great TR for newbies, seriously. I was 9 years old when I first played it, it was my first 'real' game, and to me it was challenging, back then.

Later I played Anniversary and Underworld, right now I'm playing Chronicles (which is awwwsum!) and I'm planning to play all the Classics I can find in the local library. So, it was absolutely a great way to get some more TR fans, right?

Of course I understand Core fans were dissapointed, the Classics are more complex, more challenging and have a way different atmosphere, you can even 'feel' that when you watch a walkthrough on YouTube! The thing is, somehow I think Legend has it's own great atmosphere, c'mon, look play the Croft Manor, Peru flashback, Japan or the England level! It's amazing! Different from TR as you used to know it, but good.

At least better then Underworld, in my oppinion...

matrix54
13-11-10, 12:20
you aren't really supposed to play tomb raider at 9, as it is intended for a teenager, so, the difficulty argument is invalid, given that most 9 year olds have trouble doing a lot of things intended for teenagers. :)

jajay119
14-11-10, 00:38
I agree, Legend was a good way to bring in fans unfortunately it brought in fans when the TR series was not representative of what it normally is and they then expected that again, whilst the older fans were crying out for something more difficult. Thus polerising the fan base. Fortunately today the fans gained at Legend, after playing some of the classics have come round to the way of thinking that TR should be more difficult and should offer more control to the player again... thank god!

Paddy
15-11-10, 07:12
Thats because Legend is an insult to the franchise :cool:

Zelda master
15-11-10, 07:47
As a direct reaction to the openingspost, I do like Legend as a game, I truly think it is a decent game. But nothing remotely close to a Tomb Raider game, I didn't mind the changes from different voiceactress, new gameplay mechanics and stuff...
But they just didn't get that feeling I get whenever I'm playing the older games, where is the atmosphere, the difficulty, the good storyline (No I consider the Mommy and Daddy Storyline the weakest yet, and yes even the GOL storyline is a million times better...)...

Even if it wasn't a Tomb Raider game, I would have (dis)liked just as much as I do now, but atleast I wouldn't have been insulted as a Tomb Raider gamer, especially in the difficulty:hea:

StarCroft:AOD
16-11-10, 12:29
Jokes aside, Crystal dinamics were very conservative in legend, this was their first attempt at such a popular, and strong game title "TR" and "Lara Croft", I believe they were under too much pressure, since crystal dinacmics din't had any strong title, besides "legacy of kain".
They had to live up to the expectations of the "classic" fans, since legend, (2006) divided the fan base, into Classic and Non classic and whatnot. Still, they tried to take TR through a different path(on purpose:mad:), opposite of what Core Design did since 1996(stupid thing:mad:), because they thought, We (Crystal dinamics)obviously are "better" or "smarter" than Core, and "We" shall save the TR franchise from oblivion. A.k.a TR:AOD release date.

Of course, these are my personal and humble feelings

kajkotr
18-11-10, 15:48
I don't like when the people compare Core Design's TR and Crystal Dynamics TR, because they both do what they can do.

TheRCroft
18-11-10, 19:05
I don't like when the people compare Core Design's TR and Crystal Dynamics TR, because they both do what they can do.

:tmb: Exactly, If Core made a Lara with a strong attitude, and games with a great storyline and atmosphere, Crystal is much more competent at graphic design. We can't criticize just one of the two, because they are good at different areas.

Blackmoor
18-11-10, 21:19
I used to think that if Legend wasn't a TR game then I'd probably be less critical and so like it more. But on reflection, I actually think I'd like it less. The fact is that I have such goodwill for TR / Lara Croft games due to my experiences with TR 1 - 4 (mostly) and TR5 and AoD, that I yearn to love these games.

Legend had an intriguing storyline but the actual gameplay was very weak. Those motorbike sections were the pits. Shame on Crystal - even now I cannot believe Eidos dumped Core to put together an AAA game with that retro 80's biker section. :confused:

When those type of biker games were out I never played more than two seconds of them. It took TR to make me push myself through it... If it hadn't have been, I can't see what would have made me do it.

mepsipax
20-01-11, 23:33
I really enjoyed Legend. :) Sure, it lasted 2 hours, but the secret-hunting and time trials more than made up for it. I DIDN'T like how they constantly spoiled their own puzzles by telling us the answers but ah-well. I think it was a very good game, even if it was just something for CD to cut their teeth on. I would have enjoyed even if it wasn't TR. (...agreeing with general consensus though,the bike sections were pants. ><....)

ShadyCroft
21-01-11, 11:09
If Legend was not a Tomb Raider game but some other game then yes, I would like it, but it would still be the opposite of masterpiece and one of those you play once or twice and thats it. Its forgettable as a game imo. Its disastrous that its a Tomb Raider game.

thailand
21-01-11, 12:28
I don't know if I'd like it
It depends on.... several things

lara croftwolf
21-01-11, 21:27
Yes, you're right.

Summers
28-01-11, 23:53
i think TRL it's a TR game:)
the game is short in length [only 9 (easy?) levels]... that was the problem to me

BUT, TRL it's a good game!! very fun to play...
anyway, more positive points than negative points to me.
Crystal is almost there!!

A.JJ.G
29-01-11, 16:09
To finish the thread title: "If legend wasn't a TR game, the creators of the game would've had a hell of a lawsuit on their hands for using Lara's image" :p

Also, I thought it was a TR game. It was a bad TR game, but still a TR. If it had been about 200% longer, and had all the beta stuff left in, it'd be a good TR game. Maybe great.

Cat Woman
01-02-11, 14:38

This was the first TR PC Game that I got and I really liked it. I don´t play a lot of games on the PC. When I see games now that I like the story line and interesting plots (mostly by The Adventure Company and City Interactive) I will try them out. I like to play all the HerInteractive Nancy Drew Adventure series (I know pretty tame compared to TR) - as I have them from the start.

After TR-L, I played TR-A on the laptop and TR-U (but even loaded on my computer, my processor was not the best) but finished it. I will try more TR Games if I can find them.