PDA

View Full Version : STOP THE MADNESS!

New-Raider
12-10-04, 16:19
Women Gamers Seek Next Level (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/09/tech/main642255.shtml)
The group is concerned with:
1A: Violence in videogames 1B: Age concerns and influence
2: Sex in videogames
3: Sexual stereotyping in videogames
4: Nudity in videogames, in what their opinion isn't in context

I tried to make my point, whatever you do naked that doesn't require special clothing (a football player's cup for instance), is in context.
It's actually clothing itself that's out of context, since nudity is really our natuaral state.

Anubis_AF
12-10-04, 16:25
OK, thanks for the link.

Catlantean
12-10-04, 16:48
Originally posted by New-Raider:
Women Gamers Seek Next Level (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/09/tech/main642255.shtml)

1. Personally I'm OK with violence (mild or extreme) in games, but I agree no little kid should be allowed to play something like Postal 2 or horror-based games.

2. Allright, name ONE GAME not labeled explicitely as adult in which your character could have graphic sex. Can't think of any? Me neither.

3. Speaking of stereotypes, yet another madman-wanting-to-destroy-the-world-just-because type of villain is in my opinion worse than some big-breasted bimbo.

4. Same as with sex. I don't remember seeing any explicit nudity in a non-adult labeled game.

So in the end my question is what the hell are they trying to accomplish? :confused: Solve problems that aren't even there to begin with?

kangaxx
12-10-04, 17:14
I do not have any problem seeing kids playing horror/violent games at all. what i think the big problem is all that kind of violent games where violence is used in a bad valor/moral way! i don't see a problem with a kid playing a game where we need to kill or defend against zombis or other type of evil monster, but a game where we need to kill or crash cars against inocent people, or kill or be evil to people, ...that is the problem!
i am sure that if some one grows playing classic violent games against "mosnters", will not grow up like a "monster"!! but if some kid grow up playing games were insane evilness is "honoroed/homaged", that way it is possible that some "moral values" can be destroyed in his mind.
about nudity, i think all the preocupations are plain stupid, but about direct or undirect sex contents...that is diferent! it is expected that a kid at the least untill 14 years old don't start to think about "sex" at all. and after that age, from "start to think" untill "do it", it is expected too that he just try that at 16/18 at the least.
also, i think it is stupid to some one that sees a man or a woman naked, just because they are naked some one will "see" or think in sex just because of that!?...if some one when see a naked figure can't avoid to think in sex...something wrong is going on in his mind for sure!!
to be naked it's a natural thing,as a plant is, and it is not related at all with sex!

Catlantean
12-10-04, 17:48
By "little kids shouldn't play horror" I mean they'll have nightmares afterwards :D Really, I remember when I was around 5 years or so old, anything even remotely resembling zombies, demons etc gave me sleepless nights! But over 10 it's OK, then you're no longer afraid of monsters.

New-Raider
12-10-04, 18:24
There is a California bill making Governer Shwartzenegger (however he spells it) think kids should be carded in stores.
By carded I mean written documents with digital age verification.
Similar technology the police have for underage drinkers combined with recreation/motel locaters.
If the ages don't match, I'm guessing the signal will reach the parent's home PC, laptop, mobile phone (if on), or beeper.
This law went into effect just after a similar law was reversed.

The movie "Termenator 2: Judgement Day" was a PG13 movie in the 90s, after the original "Termenator" got an 'R' rating in the 80s.
Now the videogames, and the soundtrack and design for the pinball game should still be able to reach that same audience, even if the sequels are just as violent as the first film.
One would think being his own franchize, he would card everyone in the audience if the bill wasn't reversed.

New-Raider
12-10-04, 18:50
Originally posted by Catlantean:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by New-Raider:

1. Personally I'm OK with violence (mild or extreme) in games, but I agree no little kid should be allowed to play something like Postal 2 or horror-based games.

2. Allright, name ONE GAME not labeled explicitely as adult in which your character could have graphic sex. Can't think of any? Me neither.

3. Speaking of stereotypes, yet another madman-wanting-to-destroy-the-world-just-because type of villain is in my opinion worse than some big-breasted bimbo.

4. Same as with sex. I don't remember seeing any explicit nudity in a non-adult labeled game.

So in the end my question is what the hell are they trying to accomplish? :confused: Solve problems that aren't even there to begin with?</font>[/QUOTE]1: Mild violence, such as Tomb Raider 1 and 2, is ok, but I don't think graphic violence is good for a kid.
Funny that in the recent ruling, nobody has mentioned free speech as it was early.
I don't like graphic videogames, but I respect the fact gamemakers are free to put in whatever the ESRB allows and promoters like Eidos can say whatever they like.
The most popular cartoons on TV today are anime, which is violent itself including the morning/afternoon version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" which is targeted straight to 7 to 14 year olds, much like the "Addams Family" cartoon was in the 80s.

2: The subject is M rated games, not AO, but everyone says "sex" when all you see is suggestive innuendo and nudity.

3: Grand Theft Auto had too much controversy around it, and in some places was banned.
GTA: Andreas Fault has no nudity, but is still very violent.
They should just leave in the nudity, and take out unnecessary violence, but I digress, the point is stereotyping which the upcoming Rumble Roses does to the hilt, but lets not forget about the reality of "Hooters Girls".

4: The Guy Game for PS2 and X-Box.

So in conclusion, the group is bogus for saying that, and so is their Website.

janny_c.
12-10-04, 23:40
It's just so sad how they complain about nothing...

Dictionary- I agree with Cat.

[ 30. October 2004, 09:33: Message edited by: janny_c. ]

Joseph
13-10-04, 12:29
These forums are no platform for this kind of vulgar, hateful, disrespectful reactions.
With this last post, janny_c has once more expressed her lack of respect which is no good for any discussion. Besides, she has been warned many times before.
We have our Terms and Conditions (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq#item-30) , they are not there for nothing, members agree to comply with them. Accept the consequences when you don't.

New-Raider
13-10-04, 14:43
Originally posted by joseph:
These forums are no platform for this kind of vulgar, hateful, disrespectful reactions.
With this last post, janny_c has once more expressed her lack of respect which is no good for any discussion. Besides, she has been warned many times before. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, intimidating, disrespectful or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.I warned her about it, but I don't think she read it yet.
I hope you didn't ban her without letting her correct it first.
You also say this kind of thing may not be delt with immediately.
I would normally be frustrated at that clause, but in this case you should have kept it as gradual as it normally would be.

New-Raider
13-10-04, 15:24
I found out at the last minute, The Guy Game had most of the nude scenes edited, and only a few uncensored scenes remain.
The game is centered around strip trivia, which doesn't necessarily mean nude, unless you're the nephew of Larry Luvits.

[ 13. October 2004, 16:27: Message edited by: New-Raider ]

Draco
13-10-04, 16:17
People are too worried about censoring things that they have to make everyone else have to follow that too.