PDA

View Full Version : General Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes Thread

Agent 47
12-04-10, 13:07
The thread was suggested, the thread has been created :D

Life on Mars - series 1 & 2 2006 & 2007

DCI Sam Tyler, hit by a car in 2006 awoke to find himself back in 1973 working under tv icon and national hero DCI Gene Hunt

Was he dead? was he in a coma? was he back in time?

Ashes to Ashes - series 1, 2 & 3 2008/2009/2010

DCI Alex Drake, shot and left for dead in 2008 finds herself stuck in 1981, a decade full of bad hair, bad clothes, good music :D Just like Sam Tyler,Alex finds herself working under DCI Gene Hunt now at the London Met having moved from Manchester.

Series 3 of Ashes to Ashes is the final one, it is said to reveal the truth about who/what Gene Hunt and his universe really is.

"fire up the Quattro" :D

Discuss both series and feel free to post your own theories about the legend that is DCI Gene Hunt :jmp:

NOTE: fellow UK folks, as Ashes to Ashes has international fans too on this board who don't have access to the BBC iplayer please try to avoid posting readable series 3 spoilers :D

Carbonek_0051
12-04-10, 13:16
I've only seen one episode of Ashes to Ashes, and I loved it. Sadly I did not see the rest.:(

HappyShannon
12-04-10, 13:24
Agh, I love Ashes To Ashes :cln:

I didn't know the new series started and I've missed the last 2 episodes :(

Agent 47
12-04-10, 15:03
Agh, I love Ashes To Ashes :cln:

I didn't know the new series started and I've missed the last 2 episodes :(

Both episodes are available on BBC iplayer for a limited time (around 50 days i think)

VictorXD
12-04-10, 15:13
Ashes to Ashes = Awesome!:ohn:

NightsGoneSour
12-04-10, 15:15
lol I love both series I'm glad they decided to do a sequel. Talking about Ashes to Ashes I hope we see Sam Tyler's girlfriend well ex-girlfriend.

jackles
12-04-10, 16:15
I adore the series and have the Life on Mars box set. I loved Gene in the first series. I have seen a few episodes of the American version but I have to say ours seems funnier....more....daring. Maybe because Gene gets away with saying such hilarious things. :)

Mikky
12-04-10, 16:20
Is Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes really connected? :confused: I knew that they had a really similar plot, but that it was just a coincidence.

I don't watch it, but it's funny when I see adverts of it and hear Keeley Hawes talking. It's like Lara Croft in someone else's body! :eek:

Agent 47
12-04-10, 17:49
I adore the series and have the Life on Mars box set. I loved Gene in the first series. I have seen a few episodes of the American version but I have to say ours seems funnier....more....daring. Maybe because Gene gets away with saying such hilarious things. :)

The US version had a poor ending.

Is Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes really connected? :confused: I knew that they had a really similar plot, but that it was just a coincidence.

Yes both are connected, same universe, same continuity, different city :D

laralover_07
12-04-10, 18:16
Wait, the Ashes to Ashes on BBC just now is Series 3!?

I thought it was Series 2, so when did that air then?

anniversarytr11
12-04-10, 18:33
and you know who is in ashes to ashes... :pi:

TR93
12-04-10, 19:16
Ashes to Ashes=Amazing:jmp:...

cant wait for Episode 3 on friday!:D.... I only watch it mostly for the Alex/Gene story... but then I want a good sort of ending for the series, well for Gene's 'world':D
that would conclude Life on Mars AND Ashes to Ashes, they already said its going to e a great ending:)
Out of them both, I prefer Ashes, maybe cos of who's in it:whi:

Yes I wonder who's in Ashes to Ashes:whi:...

Agent 47
12-04-10, 20:49
Ashes to Ashes=Amazing:jmp:...

cant wait for Episode 3 on friday!:D.... I only watch it mostly for the Alex/Gene story... but then I want a good sort of ending for the series, well for Gene's 'world':D
that would conclude Life on Mars AND Ashes to Ashes, they already said its going to e a great ending:)
Out of them both, I prefer Ashes, maybe cos of who's in it:whi:

Yes I wonder who's in Ashes to Ashes:whi:...

I'm sure the final episode will be awesome, and if what i read is true, fans should be thrilled.

Spoiler DO NOT QUOTE :D
Ashes to Ashes series 3 episode 8
John Simm as DCI Sam Tyler

P.S. i prefer Life on Mars as it was the original :jmp:

TR93
12-04-10, 20:55
^^
Ahhh there are so many rumours he is back for Series 3 and then so many as well that he isnt!:p it was on wikipedia and then it was taken down, and in A2A he is 'suppose' to be dead, even Gene told us he was dead., although he may have lying... I dunno.. so we wont know till Epsiode 8 Actually gets shown...

I never got around to watching LoM lol not alot of it:p I enjoy the tension between Gene and Alex too much in A2A!:p

Agent 47
12-04-10, 21:03
^^
Ahhh there are so many rumours he is back for Series 3 and then so many as well that he isnt!:p it was on wikipedia and then it was taken down, and in A2A he is 'suppose' to be dead, even Gene told us he was dead., although he may have lying... I dunno.. so we wont know till Epsiode 8 Actually gets shown...

I never got around to watching LoM lol not alot of it:p I enjoy the tension between Gene and Alex too much in A2A!:p

When no body is found a writer can have a lot of fun. I bet Gene is lying for some reason. If he does show up in episode 8, Jim Keats is going to get OWNED for sure :vlol:

My Theory
In series 3 Alex is having visions of a young dead PC. I have a feeling that the young PC is Gene Hunt!!!! he simply may not know he's dead "The Sixth Sense" :eek:

Trigger_happy
13-04-10, 00:28
Ashes to Ashes is like the only thing currently on Tv that I need to watch, everything else can wait, but not Ashes to ashes. Saturday morning, I'm there.

bloodstormaoa
13-04-10, 10:02
Watched both episodes of A2A S3 last night...and I was ****ing amazed!! Already a fantastic show, but the quality seems to have been stepped-up even higher :D

Is it me or is Keeley looking more gorgeous than ever this year??! She seems to have slimmed down loads aswell..

TR93
13-04-10, 14:25
When no body is found a writer can have a lot of fun. I bet Gene is lying for some reason. If he does show up in episode 8, Jim Keats is going to get OWNED for sure :vlol:

My Theory
In series 3 Alex is having visions of a young dead PC. I have a feeling that the young PC is Gene Hunt!!!! he simply may not know he's dead "The Sixth Sense" :eek:

He is lying for a reason, maybe its just something personal to him, something happened between him and Sam Tyler he wants nobody to know about,
I mean Keats is desperatly trying to break up the team around Gene, he ALMOST made Shaz Leave and has been talking to Ray and Chris about Gene behind his back, with Alex its different, I think Keats knows that Alex's level of trust in Gene is a little higher than everyone elses, and their relationship is different imo...if Keats gets to Alex, makes her distrust Gene, it makes his job a lot easier considering he wants to take Gene down... so maybe he's tryin to make people 'beleive' Gene killed Sam, and then Poof! Maybe Sam turns up alive and kicking!:D
and I will be like... "HAha Keats!":p

SPOILERS! my theory:p
The police officer... hmm others have said that too, maybe its him... maybe Gene is dead and doesn't know it, but then again wouldn't Alex, Chris, Shaz and Ray also have to be dead to just see him? at the moment Alex is the only one that can see the ghost of the police officer, and she's also between life and death in the present which could be the reason why no one else cant see him, but everyone else can see Gene... unless he's come back from the dead! hmmm...
I dont think it can be Martin Summers,his story sort of ended in series 2, but the actual face has a likeness to Chris... maybe on the other characters is gonna die! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Watched both episodes of A2A S3 last night...and I was ****ing amazed!! Already a fantastic show, but the quality seems to have been stepped-up even higher :D

Is it me or is Keeley looking more gorgeous than ever this year??! She seems to have slimmed down loads aswell..

haha the 1st Episode was awesome!:D and the second...was the first time I've ever got scared over a character...I was on the edge of my seat screaming "DONT LET SHAZ DIE!" and then laughed when Gene got snogged at the end... Alex didnt seem to like that!:vlol:

Keeley is flippin' amazing!... she looks awesome , sounds amazing! She is one of the most underrated actress's i've ever seen... and not saying that because she voices a certain tomb raider:whi::p lol...
But its true...Keeley is gorgeous!... she's just gotten better and better every year

and I got the series 3 soundtrack yesterday too:D Awesome stuff, though I cant listen to Uptown Girl without laughing...:vlol:... annnnd damn track 19, the peice was used in LoM for Sam and Annie's kiss... awwww!:hug:... when will we find out... why its being used, and hich characters it's being used on... Im guessing Alex and Gene scene here:p

Agent 47
13-04-10, 15:31
I don't think you fully get what i'm suggesting so i'll rephrase :D

As we know Keats is trying to claim Hunt killed Sam Tyler, Sam's body was never found. When quizzed by Alex, Gene said he didn't want to talk about it as Sam was a good friend.....

I put it to you that Sam didn't die at all and is simply deep deep undercover thus his Gene universe death is faked :D

Also, why do i think Gene Hunt is dead? simple dialogue by Keats in episode 1 series 3 where he states "you have to stay here and watch whilst i dismantle your station" or words to that effect :D I believe therefore Gene is actually dead and he doesn't know it.

We then have interviews by the writers."Gene's last lines have been written"
"series 3 ties up all the loose ends from Life on Mars" "by the midpoint you'll feel like you're watching series 5 of Life" "you'll find out who Gene really is and what he's about"

It's also claimed there will be a character death :(

TR93
13-04-10, 20:12
Ahhh now I get it!:D

I thought the character death might be Shaz... she almost died last week, I thought she was actually gonna die!:(... thank goodness she's alive!... maybe Alex is dead... I wondered how she got back to Gene's world because she'd woken up from the coma in 2008, and was in a coma in 1983... so how can she exist in 1983 now? Wouldn't Alex have to still be in coma in 2008 to be there?

As for Keats...I just thought he was going to pull Gene's world apart by making those who trust him turn on him, in the trailer for Episode 3 Keats is trying to pursuade Ray to work for him, or leave Gene behind... then Keats will move onto Chris and then eventually Alex, and there will be nothing Gene can do to stop it... maybe Keats knows who or what Gene really is....:)
But if Gene is the Policeman... why hasn't Alex ever seen him before?

anyways.... I think it would very...strange for Sam tyler to appear in A2A, unless its just to prove Gene didnt kill him, or that he's still alive... it just wouldnt really please me to see him again... I dont know why though, because he's a great character... just in LoM:p...

I still probably watch A2A for the little Gene/Alex moments...:p in S1, its such obvious flirting:p:vlol:

TR93
15-04-10, 18:05
lol sorry for double posting:p...

Dean Andrews, who plays DS Ray Carling in both Ashes to Ashes and Life On Mars just tweeted on his Twitter,....
Just see the Ashes to Ashes ending, OH My God, you're goning to love it...and cry...alot!...
something along those lines.... now Im totaly excited! But WHY are we gonna cry? Is that a good crying....sad crying???! is Gene going to die?! yikes!!!!

Solice
16-04-10, 04:10
Ashes to Ashes, funky to funky, we know major Tom's a junkie

Agent 47
16-04-10, 21:25
lol sorry for double posting:p...

Dean Andrews, who plays DS Ray Carling in both Ashes to Ashes and Life On Mars just tweeted on his Twitter,....
Just see the Ashes to Ashes ending, OH My God, you're goning to love it...and cry...alot!...
something along those lines.... now Im totaly excited! But WHY are we gonna cry? Is that a good crying....sad crying???! is Gene going to die?! yikes!!!!

Well, after tonight's episode i fear for Gene (Keats is a dick)and Alex is a two faced backstabbing cow :mad:

I hope Sam Tyler does show up just to make her look stupid for doubting Gene Hunt :D

As for Dean Andrews...yep he's very happy with the final episode. He hopes it tops Life on Mars series ending :D

NightsGoneSour
16-04-10, 21:30
Well, after tonight's episode i fear for Gene (Keats is a dick)and Alex is a two faced backstabbing cow :mad:

I hope Sam Tyler does show up just to make her look stupid for doubting Gene Hunt :D

As for Dean Andrews...yep he's very happy with the final episode. He hopes it tops Life on Mars series ending :D

How can he he's dead? Unless he appears as a ghost in an episode to haunt Alex. What would be cool is Sam Tyler's girlfriend made an appearance.

But I'm looking forward to see how it ends I hope it's a happy ending...And a sad one, I'd like some happy bits and some sad bits. :D

TR93
16-04-10, 21:33

I think Alex knows Keats is using her, but it keeping things sweet around him to fool him... but the more Keats works on gianing Alex's trust, the more there's a wedge driven between her and Gene,
Realise... there hasnt been as many of those little "Alex/Gene " moments since Keats showed up, and thats when The dead cop also showed...

haha I would laughing so hard if Keats said "YOU KILLED SAM TYLER" then Sam walked though the doors!:vlol:! everyone goes silent!:p:yik:

:D from what he said... it sounds so good! I wanna know the truth!!!!! :p..

and tonight I think Deano was amazing! He gave a very emotional performence:)...

Agent 47
16-04-10, 21:47
How can he he's dead?

The way i see it,unless a body is found......Sam Tyler is only dead in the 2006 universe :D

I think Alex knows Keats is using her, but it keeping things sweet around him to fool him... but the more Keats works on gianing Alex's trust, the more there's a wedge driven between her and Gene,
Realise... there hasnt been as many of those little "Alex/Gene " moments since Keats showed up, and thats when The dead cop also showed...

haha I would laughing so hard if Keats said "YOU KILLED SAM TYLER" then Sam walked though the doors!:vlol:! everyone goes silent!:p:yik:

:D from what he said... it sounds so good! I wanna know the truth!!!!! :p..

and tonight I think Deano was amazing! He gave a very emotional performence:)...

That would be a truly epic thing to see, i like it :jmp:

NightsGoneSour
16-04-10, 21:52
The way i see it,unless a body is found......Sam Tyler is only dead in the 2006 universe :D

Yeah but he's also confirmed to be dead in the 1983 world too. I never knew if his body was found though. I dont remember really to be honest.

woody543
16-04-10, 22:59
I watched tonights episode, and realised I can't watch it without thinking of Lara!

TR93
17-04-10, 19:02
Yeah but he's also confirmed to be dead in the 1983 world too. I never knew if his body was found though. I dont remember really to be honest.

In the 1st episode of Ashes to Ashes Alex asked Ray about Sam Tyler...
He told her that Sam disappeared (Obvioulsy he went missing from the 1970's world when he woke up from his coma in 2006) but then he came back, then Sam ran a car chase and crashed into the river, but his body was never found. Now Alex is doing more research on it, about the picture of the car taken, when Alex asked Chris he said that he was never at the scene so Ray must've taken the photo, he also said Ray and Gene were the only ones to find the car and be at the scene:) So Sam may well still be alive:)

That would be a truly epic thing to see, i like it :jmp:
That how I see it too... and wehere is Annie, surley she cant be dead too? Sam and Annie got married, so when he apparently died, what happened to Annie?

lol! Can imagine it now!:vlol:!

Keats: *To the entire CID* I'm not sure whether you're aware but you're working for a murderer
Ray: What the hells he talkin' about
Alex: You must have it wrong, killer yes, in self defense or something...but murder
Keats: Ahhh Alex, considering you're the one asking for files from Manchester, you think you can trust him then? *Turns to Gene* Like it or not... and I'm sorry Alex, ... but *To Gene's face* YOU killed Sam Tyler...

*Door opens*
Sam: Did someone call me?
*CID goes quiet*
Sam: Did ya miss me?:p
:D
I watched tonights episode, and realised I can't watch it without thinking of Lara!

:vlol: Me neither!

Agent 47
22-04-10, 01:47
This thread has no clipage :mad:

it does now :D

TSABShnqyFQ

TR93
24-04-10, 14:10
Anyone else see last nights Episode!:p

When Gene though alex was not breathing...about to give her the kiss of life and she woke up ...and he jumped and screaed:vlol:... classic moment that was!

and written on the Wall..
"Molly was here"
"Gene loves Same".... whatever that could mean context wise I dunno!:p...
But it was so much better than the 2nd and 3rd episode imo:)...more Alex and Gene moments make it more fun:p.. and Litton coming back next week... and though I have no idea why cos I havent watched All of LOM:p lol but I did buy it, the 1st series of DVD and I stand by my opinion ...I like Ashes better still, I like the relationship between Gene and Alex...:) and Keeley is awesome too!

scremanie
24-04-10, 14:17
I love Ashes to Ashes!

I can't wait for series 3.

TR93
24-04-10, 14:20
ITS GREAT! aint it!!:D

for anyone with Twitter... Dean Andrews (Ray Carling) has it..
http://twitter.com/Deanoandrews

and wait for it...so does..
Keeley Hawes:D shes joined Twitter a few days days ago:)
http://twitter.com/Kcj100

What I finds strange is that, although everyone in LoM and Ashes are Great actors/Actresses, they are so underated!

Jami393
24-04-10, 16:53
At first I didn't even know Ashes to Ashes was a sequal to Life on Mars untill I saw Gene Hunt in this series. Even though it might be the last series it's my first and I like it.
Also I liked Life on Mars with John Simm.

Agent 47
08-05-10, 13:49
Simm and Glenister will be working together again in a new drama for Sky One :D

As for Ashes to Ashes, after watching episode 6 last night i'm more than convinced Gene Hunt is actually dead and the world he occupies was created in his dying thoughts as it were.

I'm sure Police Officer M6620 is indeed Gene Hunt killed in the line duty, i also speculate the (M) is Manchester. The uniform looks to be from circa the 1950's, Gene would have been a young PC back then :D So yeah! my theory is sound :vlol:

Gene Hunt was killed and created this world and simply refuses to believe he's dead. He was robbed of being a good copper as his life was cut short, in this world he is the copper he was robbed of being. I figure Alex is really there to help him/set him free to move on to the afterlife :( as for Keats, i reckon he's the Grim Reaper, take the souls of his team (CID) and Gene's world effectively falls apart.

the above is pure speculation by me an in no way should be taken as fact :D

Agent 47
12-05-10, 01:20
The writers have given an interview for some tv guide that is out now :D

Here's what they say on the final episode of Ashes to Ashes..

#Fans have correctly guessed 80% of the story. "But no one person has the whole solution"

#Sam Tyler has a role to play. "He has a presence in the finale"

#A big clue was planted early on in the series. "There was a very big audio clue in episode three"

#A body is recovered. "It's the body Alex has been looking for"

#And the very last scene. "It's in black and white and the last thing you see is the word "police"

I have put in white what could be construed as "spoilers".

I look forward to these final two episodes and having read the synopsis for episode 8, (my tv guide arrived today) i think it'll be a sad nights viewing for Gene fans. :(

IceColdLaraCroft
12-05-10, 01:58
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

ASHES TO ASHES is coming on BBC America tonight!

The beginning of 1982!

Agent 47
12-05-10, 03:13
:jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

ASHES TO ASHES is coming on BBC America tonight!

The beginning of 1982!

oh! with a bit of luck then you'll get series 3 later this year if not early 2011 :jmp:

Agent 47
15-05-10, 21:57
nice pic for the series finale :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs524.snc3/29805_391803727818_7150722818_4170908_2209929_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs525.snc3/29867_1478511445739_1322359830_31320818_7601671_n. jpg
I'd say the pic of the group walking toward something is near the end of the episode (plus taking into account the trailer footage):D

Trigger_happy
16-05-10, 01:28
I'm well excited for the last episode! I can't believe its over though- especially since Alex and Gene almost got it on! And start placing your bets now as to whose lapel numbers they are.

Agent 47
17-05-10, 01:49
I'm well excited for the last episode! I can't believe its over though- especially since And start placing your bets now as to whose lapel numbers they are.

M
6620?

I already did 4 posts up :D and i'm convinced of it...if i end up being wrong though then so be it. Some people have theories relating to "Wizard of Oz"

Enjoy the last episode, and i agree shame it's ending but i understand the writers reason. End whilst still popular and not over done :D

Fire up the Quattro!!

*laralover*
18-05-10, 08:28
I cant wait although i might be slightly ****ed if its a cliffhanger and leaves me still confused :p then again there could be another series.

igonge
18-05-10, 08:43
I've lost track of Ashes to Ashes :p
Need to catch up. Keely <3

Agent 47
21-05-10, 14:28
Last ever episode on BBC 1 tonight folks.

What will become of Gene Hunt i wonder :D What is the truth? Who exactly is Jim Keats? Is Gene the dead copper?

These questions and more better be answered :jmp:

accordingtojoe
21-05-10, 16:43
i'm so glad i found this thread :D ashes to ashes is the best thing to air on tv ever and i'm gonna be so sad when it's all over tonight :(

jackles
21-05-10, 21:07
Woah! That was insane. I cried.

Agent 47
21-05-10, 21:11
Just finished watching the final episode. It was very good, a fitting end to both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

:D

"you killed the Quattro" :vlol:

Another Lara
21-05-10, 21:17
Omg that was brilliant!!! And I doubt people will believe me when i say i got the outcome spot on!!! :D

bad thing bout tonight tho no more gene hunt! :(

Agent 47
21-05-10, 21:19
Omg that was brilliant!!! And I doubt people will believe me when i say i got the outcome spot on!!! :D

bad thing bout tonight tho no more gene hunt! :(

As a series yes, you saw the ending though, one-off Christmas specials are do-able :D

Another Lara
21-05-10, 21:25
As a series yes, you saw the ending though, one-off Christmas specials are do-able :D

Don't you go getting my hopes up lol! :p

Agent 47
21-05-10, 21:30
Don't you go getting my hopes up lol! :p

I felt sorry for Gene when he was having that convo with Alex in that house and the poor man's face when standing at scarecrow :(

No, not getting your hopes up :vlol: just saying anything is possible with the BBC, the car is sorted going by what he was reading :vlol: :jmp:

[TombRaider]
29-05-10, 10:17
I was thinking the other week that "Heroes" would be a great song to finish "Ashes To Ashes" on - and there we go!