PDA

View Full Version : How do I get desktop icons to stay in one place?

Phlip
25-04-10, 20:07
I arrange them, but when I restart they go back to their default position. :cen: How can I make it so it stays in one place?

Vista, btw.

Catracoth
25-04-10, 20:22
Have you tried turning auto arrange off?

Phlip
25-04-10, 20:42
Where's that? I did a search and nothing turned up.

Mytly
25-04-10, 20:56
Right-click on the desktop, click on view, and see if auto-arrange is selected. If it is, deselect it. That's all. ;)

Phlip
25-04-10, 20:58
There was no tick by it. :(

Mytly
25-04-10, 22:05
How about 'align to grid'? Is it selected? If so trying turning that off as well.

Phlip
25-04-10, 22:07
Ok, I've unticked that. I'll post again if it things again.

Catracoth
25-04-10, 22:18
Align to grid wouldn't be responsible for the icons returning to their original location before Phlip moved them. When you align icons to the grid, they're more organised and symmetrical on the desktop - that's all it does.

Mytly
25-04-10, 22:26
Maybe he disorganised them, and wants to keep them that way. ;)

Catracoth
25-04-10, 22:41
Phlip's original problem of the icons going back to their original location is not the work of the icons being aligned to the grid, like I said. By aligning them to the grid, they're more organised in terms of symmetry. By turning off the align to grid option, you can put them anywhere for the grid is turned off - think of it as the 'moveobjects on' cheat in The Sims 3.

Phlip
25-04-10, 23:02
Mason's right. I've turned the Align to Grid thing on because I like it. :)

Catracoth
26-04-10, 01:26
I do too - I like the freedom to put my icons absolutely anywhere I want, but I like when they snap to the grid; they're much neater and I'm an OCD freak with things like this :p.

aktrekker
26-04-10, 01:59
If that doesn't help, make sure no sorting options are turned on.

Phlip
17-06-10, 18:49
It's started happening again. :mad:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
17-06-10, 19:24
It's started happening again. :mad:

What OS are you running?

spikejones
18-06-10, 00:01
not sure about Vista since I'm running 7, but when you right click your desktop and go to "personalize -> change icons" is there a box for "allow themes to change icons"? try turning that off.

also I remember somewhere in XP there being an option for remembering window placement. icons may be associated with that as well..

out of curiosity though, are you properly shutting down your PC? some changes may not be saved if you shut down improperly, and will revert to "default".

EscondeR
18-06-10, 07:49
Icons will change positions anyway if you have removable drives, as W7 tends to create shortcuts for them on your desktop and remove them with device removal. Obviously on resorting it all gets messed depending on device labels :)
Never bothered to look for an option to disable those shortcuts... maybe it's time to already ;)

spikejones
18-06-10, 08:02
W7 tends to create shortcuts for them on your desktop and remove them with device removal.

that... and when I save something to the desktop which I do quite often, the icon for it gets placed in a strange location... far left, second from top. XP used to place them to the right and below the existing icons.

Drone
18-06-10, 08:14
There is a good free program called IconRestorer. It works for all windows systems (even 64 bit). Just download and install it. It lets you save desktop icon positions and then you can restore them anytime.

http://download.cnet.com/IconRestorer/3000-2195_4-10742795.html

aktrekker
18-06-10, 08:27
You should see what happens when you switch between two different size monitors. It's not pretty.

EscondeR
18-06-10, 08:28
Thanx, Salim :) But I'll look for an internal way still. Don't like too many third-party programs for micro functions ;) I've managed to override custom panels issue on W7 in a way...

On the second thought... maybe reversing that program may help ;)

Phlip
18-06-10, 08:49
not sure about Vista since I'm running 7, but when you right click your desktop and go to "personalize -> change icons" is there a box for "allow themes to change icons"? try turning that off.

also I remember somewhere in XP there being an option for remembering window placement. icons may be associated with that as well..

out of curiosity though, are you properly shutting down your PC? some changes may not be saved if you shut down improperly, and will revert to "default".
There's "Change Desktop Icons" which allows you to change the pictures, and no. I do switch it off properl.y :)
What OS are you running?
Vista.
There is a good free program called IconRestorer. It works for all windows systems (even 64 bit). Just download and install it. It lets you save desktop icon positions and then you can restore them anytime.

http://download.cnet.com/IconRestorer/3000-2195_4-10742795.html

Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Drone
18-06-10, 08:51
Thanx, Salim :) But I'll look for an internal way still. Don't like too many third-party programs for micro functions ;) I've managed to override custom panels issue on W7 in a way...

On the second thought... maybe reversing that program may help ;)

yup there are programs for everything ... almost :D

there's an easier way

_http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/layout.zip

2 files are in that archive (all in all 4kb zipped)

Layout.dll
Layout.reg

if you put dll file in system32 folder and merge reg file with registry it creates two additional options if you rightclick on desktop

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/image100.png

Unfortunately this layout method works only under 32bit systems

Thanks, I'll try that. :)

no problem. if you have vista 32bit you can try layout method aswel, it's easier

Phlip
18-06-10, 08:57
There's ONLY the layout option, though. It doesn't restore all the icons in the exact same place, though. But it's good. :D