PDA

View Full Version : Who will you be voting for on thursday?

jackles
04-05-10, 21:34
Poll request from Mad Tony.

:)

You can state who you support if too young to vote!

lara c. fan
04-05-10, 21:39
Conservative, if I was allowed to vote.

MattTR
04-05-10, 21:42
None for obvious reasons. :p

Archetype
04-05-10, 21:43
none, undecided.

xXhayleyroxXx
Im too young by a few months :pi: lib dem however

jackles
None for obvious reasons. :p

*slaps Matt around for a while for obvious reasons*

;):p

HappyShannon
04-05-10, 21:46
If I was old enough to vote, I think I'd vote the liberal democrats :D

MattTR
04-05-10, 21:46
*slaps Matt around for a while for obvious reasons*

;):p

Isn't this for the U.K. election? I'm confused! :ton:

da tomb raider!
04-05-10, 21:47
None.

jackles
04-05-10, 21:47
Isn't this for the U.K. election? I'm confused! :ton:

Yes it is. :)

marla_biggs
04-05-10, 21:48
My parents want me to vote Conservative but I dunno.. I probably won't vote.

MattTR
04-05-10, 21:49
Yes it is. :)

Oh! I gotcha. Well I will vote "other" since I live in the US of A. ;)

Unless you can add an option "Lives outside the country".. :vlol:

robm_2007
04-05-10, 21:49
thats a lot of parties.

i wont be voting, as i am not a UK citizen.

Mikky
04-05-10, 21:50
I have no idea. When it comes to politics, I really couldn't care less. :-/

Mad Tony
04-05-10, 21:52
I'm predicting the Lib Dems will sweep this one. Voting Lib Dem is a huge fad among young people. :p

Anyway, if I could vote, I'd vote Conservative (as if anyone didn't know that already).

Punaxe
04-05-10, 21:53
Can't vote in the UK of course, but I tend to go for LibDems or Greens.

adventurerLara
04-05-10, 21:56
If I were old enough, Conservative would get my vote.

robm_2007
04-05-10, 21:56
I'm predicting the Lib Dems will sweep this one. Voting Lib Dem is a huge fad among young people. :p

Anyway, if I could vote, I'd vote Conservative (as if anyone didn't know that already).

thats really dumb. young people have no mind of their own, when they vote for whatever everyone else (or celebrities) is (are) doing.:rolleyes:

although, i did vote for Obama; not becuase Oprah, Jamie Foxx, or Jennifer Lopez said too, but cuz i actually wanted him to be president. but, that really came to bite me in the ass; although he did win by a large margin, so no point in thinking about it now.

(this was my first presidental election, so dont hold it against me:p)

xcrushterx
04-05-10, 22:01
Probably the Conservatives, if I was 2 weeks older. I'm just under two weeks too young. :(

Mad Tony
04-05-10, 22:06
thats really dumb. young people have no mind of their own, when they vote for whatever everyone else (or celebrities) is (are) doing.:rolleyes:I never said that. It was a partial joke partial observation. The large majority of young people do however favor the Lib Dems. From what I've seen (not trying to pass this of as fact) a fair few do it simply because the Lib Dems are seen as younger and cooler.

Buffy87
04-05-10, 22:09
Labour.

That's who I support, that's who I want to vote for and that's who I am going to vote for. :)

Laralissa
04-05-10, 22:13
Lib Dems are such push overs (IMO) and I couldnt agree more with it being the 'hip thing' to do by voting for them :p

Conservative for me, they seem to have more balance than the other parties. That's who Ill be voting for :)

Forwen
04-05-10, 22:25
If I was eligible to vote I'd vote Conservative.

Am eligible to vote in this poll but I'm not gonna :p

Beans-Bot
04-05-10, 22:26
I voted LibDem in place on my British friend who doesn't have an account here. :)

I would have voted for them if I were a British citizen myself, I think. :D

Lemmie
04-05-10, 22:27
Near-definitely Liberal Democrats, although among my friends at home it's split between them and Labour.

DISCLAIMER: I am less than happy with any of the big parties, would never vote BNP or UKIP and wouldn't bother voting SNP in this election. So really, it's the best of a bad lot. :p

x2crazyidiot
04-05-10, 22:30
I would vote for Conservatives if I were old enough.
Although I don't really mind who wins, as long as it isn't Labour! I mean seriously guys, they've been in charge for 15 years and let's face it, we're not in the best state as a country, are we?

I never said that. It was a partial joke partial observation. The large majority of young people do however favor the Lib Dems. From what I've seen (not trying to pass this of as fact) a fair few do it simply because the Lib Dems are seen as younger and cooler.

Agreed, half the people I know would vote Lib Dem, mainly for the reason they want to legalise cannabis :rolleyes:

Nenya awakens
04-05-10, 22:32
Lib Dem.

Lemmie
04-05-10, 22:37
Agreed, half the people I know would vote Lib Dem, mainly for the reason they want to legalise cannabis :rolleyes:

They do? Hot damn! :p

x2crazyidiot
04-05-10, 22:39
They do? Hot damn! :p

But they're also raising alcohol and cigarette (if you smoke, which I don't thankfully :D) prices by 50%, so I think it'd actually benefit for cannabis to remain illegal

However, the one MASSIVE drawback for the Conservatives is that they want to destroy all of Banksy's work, as the local PM of Bristol believes him to be a vandal outside of the law :hea::cen:

peeves
04-05-10, 22:42
I wouldn't vote but i chose green because i thought it was a US election.

Lemmie
04-05-10, 22:43
However, the one MASSIVE drawback for the Conservatives is that they want to destroy all of Banksy's work, as the local PM of Bristol believes him to be a vandal outside of the law :hea::cen:

That's a shame. :( Banksy is awesome.

Mad Tony
04-05-10, 22:44
However, the one MASSIVE drawback for the Conservatives is that they want to destroy all of Banksy's work, as the local PM of Bristol believes him to be a vandal outside of the law :hea::cen:That'd make me want to vote for them more. :p

Phys
04-05-10, 22:45
Made my decision, Green party :)

TRfan23
04-05-10, 22:55
tbh with you I don't know and I'm too young by 6 months, but I would mainly aim for Conservative (So I'll check that after I posted this), because:

1. They admit their faults, from what it seems.
2. They have more personality & Charisma and seem alive.
3. I thought David Cameron was in his early 30's, when in fact he's 43.
4. I find it annoying when most of my college friends say 'Rich people vote for the Conservatives'.
5. They seem more patriotic.
6. I liked their idea upon Illegal Immigrants on QT awhile back, the one with the BNP on.

This is my opinion after looking them up in the past at some of their History.

I'm not considering Lib Dem, due to finding out that if you vote them, you instead get old Gordy Wordy. Plus the way Nick Clegg speaks in the vote lib dem adverts, seem to cheesy.

CiaKonwerski
04-05-10, 22:55
Conservative all the way if I was old enough.

anniversarytr11
04-05-10, 22:59
liberal democrats if i was old enough, if only it was may next year! but to be honest im not sure becuase i dont know much about politics and i heard david cameron was a homophobe so that put me off conservative

TRfan23
04-05-10, 23:05
liberal democrats if i was old enough, if only it was may next year! but to be honest im not sure becuase i dont know much about politics and i heard david cameron was a homophobe so that put me off conservative

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/04/10/david-cameron-on-gay-rights-as-he-answers-questions-from-pinknews.co.uk-readers/

tbh with you I think David's probably had enough of those accusations ;)

Don't take this as a personal attack, just letting you know :)

Mad Tony
04-05-10, 23:09
4. I find it annoying when most of my college friends say 'Rich people vote for the Conservatives'.That is so annoying. Same goes for the "Labour are out for the poor/working people" rubbish. They're myths and yet a lot of people still believe them.

liberal democrats if i was old enough, if only it was may next year! but to be honest im not sure becuase i dont know much about politics and i heard david cameron was a homophobe so that put me off conservativeHaven't heard anything about that. :confused:

Lemmie
04-05-10, 23:14

I don't think it's that David Cameron himself is or was a homophobe, just that recently there have been several instances in which members of the Conservative Party have expressed homophobic views or views which could be coloured that way.

However, I don't think the Conservatives are as progressive on this issue as either Labour or the Liberal Democrats.

robm_2007
04-05-10, 23:47
I never said that. It was a partial joke partial observation. The large majority of young people do however favor the Lib Dems. From what I've seen (not trying to pass this of as fact) a fair few do it simply because the Lib Dems are seen as younger and cooler.

well, i guess i was more talking about the American perspective; not the British.

it was a trend to hate George W. Bush, and its was a trend to love Barack Obama; at least by the young people in the United States.:o

Lemmie
04-05-10, 23:53
well, i guess i was more talking about the American perspective; not the British.

it was a trend to hate George W. Bush, and its was a trend to love Barack Obama; at least by the young people in the United States.:o

Well, young people as a demographic tend to be more liberal, don't they? Perhaps as a result of the much-vaunted 'teenage rebellion'. :p

Of course, voting behaviour and political affiliation is intimately tied up with class, wealth, geographic location and/or nationality, along with other factors.

Beans-Bot
04-05-10, 23:54
That'd make me want to vote for them more. :p

Wow, I just googled him and I think his work is quite impressive. Why should art ever be suppressed? At least his art has a theme; he isn't just tagging territories and such.

By the way, on topic, I just double-checked with my friend and he is indeed voting LibDem tomorrow. :D

Minty Mouth
05-05-10, 06:34
Not old enough--but even if I was I am largely ignorant to politics, so I wouldn't vote anyway.

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 06:37
Wow, I just googled him and I think his work is quite impressive. Why should art ever be suppressed? At least his art has a theme; he isn't just tagging territories and such.He's just a typical childish anarchist - a rebel without a cause. He's no different to any other graffiti "artist" out there. Just because his graffiti carries a political message, that doesn't make his glorified vandalism anymore acceptable.

Of course, voting behaviour and political affiliation is intimately tied up with class, wealth, geographic location and/or nationality, along with other factors.Couldn't be more true, at least with the people I know anyway. Seems like all the people I know (bar one, and this person funnily enough I would call upper class) who support Labour can't actually give a good reason why they support Labour, only this "they look out for the working class and the Tories are only out for the rich" nonsense.

*laralover*
05-05-10, 09:40
Well i was made to vote by my mother hmph by postal vote. I just voted for Conservative the same as her. Even she couldnt think who to vote for which is a new one lol. I couldnt care less nothing ever changes pfff before when i voted Labour always won anyways and well yeah...:p

moodydog
05-05-10, 09:42
i am not old enough yet,

but lib - dems. :)

disneyprincess20
05-05-10, 09:59
Conservative. My local MP is Kerry McCarthy (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7653913/General-Election-2010-Kerry-McCarthy-illegally-publishes-election-vote-results-on-Twitter.html), and I certainly don't want a former lawyer who breaks election law back in representing me. Worryingly, the BNP have grasped onto her gaffe (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/KERRY-TWIT/article-2092774-detail/article.html) and are heavily campaigning in this area as a result (see the comments at the bottom of the link).

Kiss-Bite
05-05-10, 10:06
I doubt I shall be exercising my right to vote... the very first time it will not be used, despite knowing the importance of having that right. If I do then I know one thing... it shall NOT be for Conservative!

Archetype
05-05-10, 10:08
He's just a typical childish anarchist - a rebel without a cause. He's no different to any other graffiti "artist" out there. Just because his graffiti carries a political message, that doesn't make his glorified vandalism anymore acceptable.

Wouldn't call him a childish anarchist just because his views are different to yours : /

His art is actually really good... different to 'typical graffiti artists'

disneyprincess20
05-05-10, 10:35

Err... No. The local MP's of the centre of Bristol are mostly Labour or Lib Dem (http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/Council-Democracy/Elected-Representatives/bristols-members-of-parliament-and-mep-listings.en). They've left most of the Banksy's except for the most recent one (http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/bristol/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8358000/8358790.stm), which wasn't even confirmed as a Bansky. It was removed because it was pasted over a real road sign (the sign for Bedminster).

The comments made by a Conservative councillor regarding Banksy were made in 2006, which makes them a little out of date. It's a bit much to say all Conservatives would remove all the Banksy's on the basis of one Councillors comments makde 4 years ago. Also, this is one Tory Councillor in a fairly liberal city overall - the Banksy's aren't going to go just because he wants them to be, especially after the exhibition last year that did so well for the city.

I'm a Bristolian, by the way.

igonge
05-05-10, 10:50
Other

Mainly because I don't know who to vote for and also... I can't vote yet :p

Ward Dragon
05-05-10, 11:10
Wouldn't call him a childish anarchist just because his views are different to yours : /

His art is actually really good... different to 'typical graffiti artists'

I hadn't heard of this guy before so I looked him up and found pictures of some gallery of his work. I simply don't get most of it :confused: It seems like he mostly takes pre-existing work and then defaces it in some way. I don't see the big appeal, although this one was indeed funny:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Banksy.jpg

Legend of Lara
05-05-10, 11:30
Liberal Democrats, if I were old enough and lived in the UK. :p

scion05
05-05-10, 11:52
If I could, Conservative or Lib Dem. Wouldn't EVER vote UKIP, LABOUR or the Biggoted National Party.

Archetype
05-05-10, 11:55
I hadn't heard of this guy before so I looked him up and found pictures of some gallery of his work. I simply don't get most of it :confused: It seems like he mostly takes pre-existing work and then defaces it in some way. I don't see the big appeal, although this one was indeed funny:

The work on his website is good, true that he's just written over some things.. but there's alot of creativity in his own work.

Dazzy
05-05-10, 12:00
I won't be voting for anyone. I don't like Gordon Brown. I'll rather see someone else run the country. I've never understood the election thing, I know it's about voting for the right guy who has good ideas, and want's to make our country better.

Reggie
05-05-10, 12:04
Purely because the representative has been a good local MP since the last election and who has done well in practice, Lib Dems get my vote. Plus the Conservative smear campaign attempt here was particularly offputting. That's not to say I'm a die-hard liberal - in fact, I'm a support of reversing the dissemination of power that has made our political system so indecisive but I'm voting on policy and reality over ideology. We shouldn't need a Conservative government to get us to take more self-responsibility anyway. That's a social issue we need to solve ourselves IMO.

Another Lara
05-05-10, 12:13
I won't be voting for anyone. I don't like Gordon Brown. I'll rather see someone else run the country. I've never understood the election thing, I know it's about voting for the right guy who has good ideas, and want's to make our country better.

Well if you don't vote then you can't have your say on whether Gordon gets back in or not, simple as!

I sent off my postal vote last week as I won't be home tomorrow to vote and I voted for Tory. I come from a Tory family, but decided this year I would look more into it and leaned a bit towards Lib Dem, but when I saw their policies (especially the amnesty for illegal immigrants) I turned straight back to Tory!

I haven't voted Tory in the local ones though, as they have bene rubbish in my local area and so I have chosen to vote for a local party!

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 13:40

His art is actually really good... different to 'typical graffiti artists'It's got nothing to do with his views, it's how he gets them across.

Well that's merely an opinion but even though his graffiti is unique it's still vandalism.

Buffy87
05-05-10, 16:25
Couldn't be more true, at least with the people I know anyway. Seems like all the people I know (bar one, and this person funnily enough I would call upper class) who support Labour can't actually give a good reason why they support Labour, only this "they look out for the working class and the Tories are only out for the rich" nonsense.

As a Labour supporter myself I feel like responding to this because actually I find it to be the truth - most people I know who support Labour say it is because they hate the Tory party. And many , many many of the Conservative supporter's I know state the opposite "they hate the Labour party". It seems that most of the people I have spoken with ( and this is not intended as a generalisation) are only voting one way because they hate the other party which they see as the main rival shall we say.

Personally, I don't usually discuss exactly why I vote for each party in any great detail as really I think it is for me to know my personal reasons but if asked by a friend I can tell them exactly why I vote for Labour. It is not because I hate the Tories - and again I have reasons why I don't support the Tories.

What I don't like however is the Labour party having a tendency to make the Tory party seem dangerous somehow. I don't like them, I don;t support them but I am not into this "Conservative risk" they have going on. I would rather not have a Tory government but I am absolutley certain that Britain would not swallow itself up and plunge to the depths of hell as Labour seem to be telling me it will.

I do accept the point though - a lot of Labour supporters don't actually know why they vote Labour. But then I am sure the same is perhaps true for supporters of any party.. who knows. Meh I am starting to ramble so I am going to stop now.

herothing
05-05-10, 16:29
I would probably vote for Labour if i could, i don't think they've been given long enough to straighten out whats gone wrong with the economy, i do however support some of the Tory views on immigration and education etc. I think the Lib's are trying too hard to persuade people to 'vote for something different', they havent exactly told us how they are going to make education more successful, how they are going to stop crime or how they are going to help fund the NHS etc.

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 16:44
I would probably vote for Labour if i could, i don't think they've been given long enough to straighten out whats gone wrong with the economyI'm not going to come out and claim Labour caused the global financial crisis because they didn't. However, they are partly to blame for the current shape of Britain's economy. I think they've had long enough to make things better.

As a Labour supporter myself I feel like responding to this because actually I find it to be the truth - most people I know who support Labour say it is because they hate the Tory party. And many , many many of the Conservative supporter's I know state the opposite "they hate the Labour party". It seems that most of the people I have spoken with ( and this is not intended as a generalisation) are only voting one way because they hate the other party which they see as the main rival shall we say.

Personally, I don't usually discuss exactly why I vote for each party in any great detail as really I think it is for me to know my personal reasons but if asked by a friend I can tell them exactly why I vote for Labour. It is not because I hate the Tories - and again I have reasons why I don't support the Tories.

What I don't like however is the Labour party having a tendency to make the Tory party seem dangerous somehow. I don't like them, I don;t support them but I am not into this "Conservative risk" they have going on. I would rather not have a Tory government but I am absolutley certain that Britain would not swallow itself up and plunge to the depths of hell as Labour seem to be telling me it will.

I do accept the point though - a lot of Labour supporters don't actually know why they vote Labour. But then I am sure the same is perhaps true for supporters of any party.. who knows. Meh I am starting to ramble so I am going to stop now.Seems like a fair observation. :) Would be nice to know why you support Labour. As I said, most people who do don't seem to even know why and you don't look like one of those people.

lara c. fan
05-05-10, 16:54
I'm not going to come out and claim Labour caused the global financial crisis because they didn't. However, they are partly to blame for the current shape of Britain's economy. I think they've had long enough to make things better.

Same here.
They've had since it started to make things better, and it seems to me they have hardly even started.

herothing
05-05-10, 16:59
Same here.
They've had since it started to make things better, and it seems to me they have hardly even started.

Gordon Brown isn't the fastest person in the world.......not by a long shot :p

tomblover
05-05-10, 17:05
Penguin party. :pi:

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 17:06
Gordon Brown isn't the fastest person in the world.......not by a long shot :pDon't underestimate how speedily and professionally he can make things worse.

herothing
05-05-10, 17:08
Don't underestimate how speedily and professionally he can make things worse.

:vlol:
It makes me laugh how David Cameron was just insulting his work throughout the election debates :p

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 17:13
:vlol:
It makes me laugh how David Cameron was just insulting his work throughout the election debates :pWhat work?

herothing
05-05-10, 17:15
What work?

That is actually a really good point :ton:

lara c. fan
05-05-10, 17:18
Gordon Brown isn't the fastest person in the world.......not by a long shot :p
Exactly.
Proves a point that he won't get us out for ages :p
Don't underestimate how speedily and professionally he can make things worse.

Win.

Phlip
05-05-10, 17:20
Other - I can't and wouldn't.

fishlikelong
05-05-10, 17:21
Conservatives! They wanna keep the UK British! They wanna keep the pound and keep our laws being made over here instead of somewhere in Europe.
Conservatives all the way!

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 17:26
I'm getting so sick of listening to Gordon Brown go on about "not withdrawing support from the economy". This guy is absolutely clueless. Hopefully this time in 36 hours he will be out of office and so will Labour. Can't believe the last time we didn't have a Labour government in I was just getting ready to start school. And before someone mentions it - yes I'm fully aware that the only time I've lived under a Conservative government was the first four years of my life but that means absolutely nothing.

Eddie Haskell
05-05-10, 17:49
I watched two of the three debates. And as an American I found it most fascinating to listen to all three candidates split hairs over what is essentially various levels of socialism. Here in the US all three of the party platforms would be at or to the left of the Democratic party. I'd love it it the US would take note of any one of the plans laid out by all three UK parties.

Homogeneous societies in smaller nations are already predisposed for cooperation. Political differences are reduced since the common good for your "people" overrides any fine point or minor divide that may tend to drive wedges in a larger and mixed race/ethnicity country. Racism and race favoring is in our genetic code. We feel closer to and care more for those who are like us. This is why most nations on this Earth have a national health care system, and not the USA.

Another note:
It is when individuals and groups feel like the essence of their culture is being abandoned, altered or "polluted" that they may turn to right wing demigods who preach a "return to the good ol' days" or back to a "better time"...code words for racial or ethnic cleansing. These are cheap and effective ways of mobilizing the racist elements of the majority in any society. Not that this is happening in the UK, just a point of order.

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 17:58
I watched two of the three debates. And as an American I found it most fascinating to listen to all three candidates split hairs over what is essentially various levels of socialism. Here in the US all three of the party platforms would be at or to the left of the Democratic party. I'd love it it the US would take note of any one of the plans laid out by all three UK parties.This is my main problem. The Conservatives here are too close to the center. If I'm being honest UKIP (you probably wont have heard much about them) are closest to my views but they're a single issue party. They're easily the most right-wing of the main parties here, and by main I mean the big 3 and parties like UKIP, Green and BNP.

Buffy87
05-05-10, 18:16
Seems like a fair observation. :) Would be nice to know why you support Labour. As I said, most people who do don't seem to even know why and you don't look like one of those people.

Usually as I say I don't say why because it turns into a huge "argument" over who I support and why my views are wrong or whatever.. but this thread seems to be fairly set on debate rather than "You're wrong, I'm right".. so I'll say why I vote Labour.

Firstly - contrary to the public perception ( or at least the perception that people seem to have, those I speak with, those I see on internet forums - incidentally not this particular one) is that crime has gotten worse under Labour. It hasn't. The crime rate is lowering - I can understand that for some people it is not enough but I think that the reforms Labour have introduced re the law/crime/justice system are working. Slowly but surely. Having studied law for nearly 6 years now I think that we need limits - Labour have introduced new sentences, new laws that make sense. Of course that is not to say that a Conservative or a Lib Dem government might not have introduced them , they probably would have in some form but Labour have and I appreciate what they are trying to do.

Human rights law - I know a lot on here don't agree with it but I am a firm, firm believer in the Human Rights Act and all that it entails. I have studied it, I understand where it works best, where it doesn't and where things need altering. Yes, I am unhappy that criminals ( and I am classing criminals in this sense as the very very very worst of the worst - take that how you will) can use it to escape justice, that needs to be worked on. However, it also grants us , the common everyday people a lot of freedoms which many don't realise they actually have because they have become second nature and commonplace - almost expected as a God given right. If the HRA goes, then it will be felt by all, not just those who seek to use it for less than honourable purposes. Labour are - as far as I can see strong supporters of the HRA and as I am too, this makes me like them. After all, some people ( again not necessarily here) forget that we only read about the bad stuff - it is very rare that you hear about the good. And as much as some people will disagree we cannot pick and choose who we give human rights to - even if they take someone else's human rights away through murder/molestation whatever. I have studied many, many cases where Human rights have been shown to be worthwhile and beneficial to those who have been harmed by terrorists, these rights protect us all.

Again as has been acknowledged it is not Labour's fault that the recession hit - yes contributing factors may have been there, perhaps there are things they could have done better but some people don;t seem to want to give them the "fair" chance to alter it. Same with the war on Iraq - I supported the war and I don;t see that there is anything wrong with me supporting it, way I see it someone had to do something. Public perception turned and it was all Labour's fault - I can almost certainly say that had the Tories/Lib Dems etc been in power it would have been all their fault too. I want to see Labour's attempt to give us the change because I believe that they can deliver - to me they deserve the chance. And many may disagree but I don't feel like they have been given a fair chance - sometimes it seems like everything they do is derided without proper consideration. It doesn't rain - oh that's Labour's fault. It is too sunny out - that's Labour's fault too. Exaggeration maybe but it seems that way sometimes.

Finally (!!!) I am a strong, strong supporter of maintaining our links with Europe and the European Union, the Tories and Lib Dem don't ( to me) support Europe to the extent I do. Labour are more supportive of our ties with Europe. Yes I agree that immigration needs to be worked on - we need limits and boundaries. Labour have said this is something they will work on and I am prepared to give them that chance. Again, I think we benefit from our ties with Europe and they are something I want to see maintained - my friends have been on scholarships at the European Courts, I have been able to study in European universities on my law degree. Would that have been so easy without our European links??? Maybe...but I think that I have benefited personally from that relationship.One day I hope to work in the European Court of Human Rights - I need to maintain my personal links with Europe and Labour are the only party ( as far as I see) who are strong supporters of keeping relations with Europe good.

Wow long post sorry guys. :) Debate away!!! I'm not really sure if my reasoning is sound but it is reasoning nonetheless - so there we go. Better than "I hate the Tories" or "David Cameron annoys me" - incidentally he does but that's him , not his party!!!

MadTony - Seems like you and I are polar opposites re our political opinions!!

toxicraider
05-05-10, 18:17
Other - I'm not old enough to vote, and probably wouldn't if I were.

larson n natla
05-05-10, 18:21
I am too young to vote but if I was old enough I would vote for liberal democrats.

The reason being that David Cameron is a smug idiot who appears in the right places at the right times, I would prefer a hung government alliance between Labour and the Lib dems than a Cameron run country.

Seriously who ever votes conservative will see the repercusions in the future, I probably won't stay in Britain it's going downhill. :wve:

Jo269976
05-05-10, 18:22
No one, I just don't want to.

lara c. fan
05-05-10, 18:24
I am too young to vote but if I was old enough I would vote for liberal democrats.

The reason being that David Cameron is a smug idiot who appears in the right places at the right times, I would prefer a hung government alliance between Labour and the Lib dems than a Cameron run country.

Seriously who ever votes conservative will see the repercusions in the future, I probably won't stay in Britain it's going downhill. :wve:

Well gee, I wonder what would happen if we all voted based on stuff like that.

Buffy87
05-05-10, 18:31

See... that's exactly why I try and formulate real reasons for voting. I personally detest David Cameron. I cannot abide the man... but the fact I don't like him is not a valid reason for not voting for the Conservatives IMO. You are of course entitled to your opinion but if the Conservatives get in then it is something I will have to live with and Britain is not going downhill at all. My life has been pretty darn good/easy so far, I would much rather live in Britain where I can achieve my goals. Yes I have worked blimming hard to be where I am now but only because the opportunities ( I think I spelled that wrong??) have been present. And a hung government is not something which we should be hoping for - I would rather ( and as a reasonably strong anti-Tory type person this is quite weird for me to say) see a Tory government than a hung parliament.

EDIT : No country is perfect and it annoys me when people say Britain is the worst possible place to be living. There are far worse places I can think of to live and I thank God that I don't live there. I thank God that as a woman I have rights which I can exercise - in some countries women have very few rights and are not treated with respect. I like that I live in a multicultural society where I can experience and understand different ways of life. It may not be perfect but it is very very far from the hellhole it is often made out to be. Maybe I am just too positive..I really shouldn't be - I'll make a terrible lawyer!

coolaideonfire
05-05-10, 18:41
I am torn between Labour and Lib Dems, I'd vote for either but for very different reasons. Labour have the best policies regarding my place of work but Lib Dems are more in-line with my personal stance on issues. :(

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 18:42
HAgain as has been acknowledged it is not Labour's fault that the recession hit - yes contributing factors may have been there, perhaps there are things they could have done better but some people don;t seem to want to give them the "fair" chance to alter it.We're in this debt crisis now mainly due to Labour and their foolish management of the country's finances. They don't just support borrowing when the economy is bad (I myself don't support it, but I can see why some do) but they also supported borrowing when the economy was doing really well. That's just plain idiotic. If I remember rightly they promised to "borrow to invest" in previous elections. If the Conservatives win tomorrow (which I think they will, just) inevitable public spending cuts will follow (these will happen whoever wins) and the Conservatives will get blamed for any negative effects which might be a result of these cuts. However, most people will either ignore or not be aware of the fact that the need for harsh public spending cuts are almost entirely Labour's fault.

Finally (!!!) I am a strong, strong supporter of maintaining our links with Europe and the European Union, the Tories and Lib Dem don't ( to me) support Europe to the extent I do. Labour are more supportive of our ties with Europe. Yes I agree that immigration needs to be worked on - we need limits and boundaries. Labour have said this is something they will work on and I am prepared to give them that chance. Again, I think we benefit from our ties with Europe and they are something I want to see maintained - my friends have been on scholarships at the European Courts, I have been able to study in European universities on my law degree. Would that have been so easy without our European links??? Maybe...but I think that I have benefited personally from that relationship.One day I hope to work in the European Court of Human Rights - I need to maintain my personal links with Europe and Labour are the only party ( as far as I see) who are strong supporters of keeping relations with Europe good.In my opinion the benefits of being in Europe far outweigh the positives. In the end it mainly comes down to having control over our own affairs. Over the years Brussels have eroded down our sovereignty. The closer we get to Europe the less control we will have over our own country and more things will have to be done in this country that will benefit Europe as a whole rather than the UK. Also, we pay into it much more than we get out of it.

However, if you want a party which will virtually submit our sovereignty to the EU, I'd go for the Lib Dems. They're worse than Labour.

MadTony - Seems like you and I are polar opposites re our political opinions!!Pretty much. :p

Seriously who ever votes conservative will see the repercusions in the future, I probably won't stay in Britain it's going downhill. :wve:Nick Clegg has proven himself in this election to be the smug one. Did you not watch the TV debates?

Hoping for a hung parliament is just silly. Nothing will get done and the economy wont be going anywhere while the different political factions are squabbling to gain control. Not only that but it would inflate Nick Clegg's already humongous ego.

And what might these repercussions be?

Buffy87
05-05-10, 18:59
We're in this debt crisis now mainly due to Labour and their foolish management of the country's finances. They don't just support borrowing when the economy is bad (I myself don't support it, but I can see why some do) but they also supported borrowing when the economy was doing really well. That's just plain idiotic. If I remember rightly they promised to "borrow to invest" in previous elections. If the Conservatives win tomorrow (which I think they will, just) inevitable public spending cuts will follow (these will happen whoever wins) and the Conservatives will get blamed for any negative effects which might be a result of these cuts. However, most people will either ignore or not be aware of the fact that the need for harsh public spending cuts are almost entirely Labour's fault.

In my opinion the benefits of being in Europe far outweigh the positives. In the end it mainly comes down to having control over our own affairs. Over the years Brussels have eroded down our sovereignty. The closer we get to Europe the less control we will have over our own country and more things will have to be done in this country that will benefit Europe as a whole rather than the UK. Also, we pay into it much more than we get out of it.

However, if you want a party which will virtually submit our sovereignty to the EU, I'd go for the Lib Dems. They're worse than Labour.

Pretty much. :p

Hehe... difference of opinion is always good. I don't mind it... it makes it more interesting.

As regards the first point re the debt crisis - I will concede the point that borrowing when the economy is good is verging towards idiotic. I can't disagree with you on that. I also agree that should the Conservatives get in ( which is quite feasible and by no means impossible) they will get blamed for pretty much whatever they may do that people dislike. Such is the nature of politics I suppose. In all honesty, I have no comeback for the fact that Labour mismanaged the money - as I say I do not place the blame solely on them but certainly they should take blame for it. Hopefully, if they get in ( which again, not impossible but I must confess I am uncertain that they will) then they can learn from their mistakes - if not then hopefully whoever does get in will learn from Labour's mismanagement and not repeat it.

As regards the sovereignty issues - as far as I am aware we are pretty much the only signatory who retain our sovereignty. I think...we do have to follow Europe on some issues but for the most part our Parliament is supreme and has the ultimate say on what decision is made. Useless piece of info given that Parliament tends to follow Europe anyhow I know. But we do retain sovereignty and I think we should retain sovereignty - that doesn't mean I think we should say no to all policies put forward by Europe - but I don't want us to lose total sovereignty either. However, I will agree that we need to try and regain that sovereignty as in some areas it has - as you say been eroded. Now as I understand it - and please correct me if I am wrong, the Conservatives would try and get us as far away from Europe as possible - not quite as far as UKIP but far away. Now if that is only far away in the sense of regaining sovereignty , but keeping the ties and relationship good for the most part, regulating it, then that's fine. What I would be very, very unhappy to see would be a total pull out of Europe. I disagree that we get less out than we put in however - but that's down to personal opinion.

As I say the prospect of having a Conservative government doesn't scare me - I would rather not have one but I can certainly live with one. I was only 9 the last time we had a Tory government so for the most part I haven't lived under one - at least to a point where I would be aware of it. If they get in then I'll see, maybe my viewpoint of them is undeserved I don't know.As I have said I would rather that than a hung parliament.

(This is totally distracting me from preparing for my negotiation exam! So I am gonna go and prepare that and continue this debate at some point down the road - possibly when we discover who the new government is.)

Eddie Haskell
05-05-10, 19:06
Nick Clegg has proven himself in this election to be the smug one. Did you not watch the TV debates?

As an outside observer I found none of them to be "smug". In fact, Mr. Clegg appeared to be the exact opposite; he came across as caring, thoughtful and a man of ideas who sought to clean house of the stale concepts of the past. Mr Cameron came across as the forceful type who has a tough plan to get things done, and laid out the bitter sacrifices that needed to be accomplished in order to set the stage for a brighter future. Mr. Brown had the unenviable position of the incumbent in a bad economy, and he was forced to play the role of defender most of the time. However, he came across as quite caring and a defender of the common man.

larson n natla
05-05-10, 19:13
And a hung government is not something which we should be hoping for lawyer!

Certainly, but the truth is that the conservatives are too far ahead now to be contested with and therefore the only alternative is a hung parliament.

I completely agree I worded my other post incorrectly, what I mean is Britain will, in my opinion, go down hill if the conservatives are elected the cuts to the education and health sectors are too severe and the isolationist factors simply won't work.

It's not just because I am repelled by Cameron don't worry :tmb: but thank you I found your post very powerful.

Nick Clegg has proven himself in this election to be the smug one. Did you not watch the TV debates?

Hoping for a hung parliament is just silly. Nothing will get done and the economy wont be going anywhere while the different political factions are squabbling to gain control. Not only that but it would inflate Nick Clegg's already humongous ego.

And what might these repercussions be?

I couldn't watch the debates as all they do is make me gloomy, as I said above it's not an ideal situation but I would prefer a hung parliament too Cameron and the repercussions are stated above with Job cuts, Public funding cuts and so on. I also have heard (though it is possibly a rumor) that Cameron is planning on taxing those with a higher income less (?) if true this is silly.

Mad Tony
05-05-10, 19:35
As regards the sovereignty issues - as far as I am aware we are pretty much the only signatory who retain our sovereignty. I think...we do have to follow Europe on some issues but for the most part our Parliament is supreme and has the ultimate say on what decision is made. Useless piece of info given that Parliament tends to follow Europe anyhow I know. But we do retain sovereignty and I think we should retain sovereignty - that doesn't mean I think we should say no to all policies put forward by Europe - but I don't want us to lose total sovereignty either. However, I will agree that we need to try and regain that sovereignty as in some areas it has - as you say been eroded. Now as I understand it - and please correct me if I am wrong, the Conservatives would try and get us as far away from Europe as possible - not quite as far as UKIP but far away. Now if that is only far away in the sense of regaining sovereignty , but keeping the ties and relationship good for the most part, regulating it, then that's fine. What I would be very, very unhappy to see would be a total pull out of Europe. I disagree that we get less out than we put in however - but that's down to personal opinion.We still have most of our sovereignty, but there are a lot of little things that we have no control over. Admittedly, it doesn't help that we have a government like Labour who promise referendums on European matters but don't deliver.

The Conservatives come across to me as a party who want to trade with Europe but don't want to be ruled by Europe - that seems perfectly reasonable to me.

(This is totally distracting me from preparing for my negotiation exam! So I am gonna go and prepare that and continue this debate at some point down the road - possibly when we discover who the new government is.)Good luck. :)

As an outside observer I found none of them to be "smug". In fact, Mr. Clegg appeared to be the exact opposite; he came across as caring, thoughtful and a man of ideas who sought to clean house of the stale concepts of the past. Mr Cameron came across as the forceful type who has a tough plan to get things done, and laid out the bitter sacrifices that needed to be accomplished in order to set the stage for a brighter future. Mr. Brown had the unenviable position of the incumbent in a bad economy, and he was forced to play the role of defender most of the time. However, he came across as quite caring and a defender of the common man.All Nick Clegg did, particularly in the first debate, was make a point of separating himself from Cameron and Brown. He was constantly acting holier-than-thou. I get the impression that because the Lib Dems (formerly Liberals) have been out of power for a very long time he feels they shouldn't be scrutinized the same as the other two parties.

I wonder, if you hadn't known which parties the three men represented, would you have said what you said then?

I completely agree I worded my other post incorrectly, what I mean is Britain will, in my opinion, go down hill if the conservatives are elected the cuts to the education and health sectors are too severe and the isolationist factors simply won't work.Let's be honest here, whoever gets in will bring big cuts. They're unavoidable and now absolutely necessary thanks to Labour's financial mismanagement.

The Conservatives aren't isolationists. Just because they want to stop the EU from trying to take more of our sovereignty doesn't make them isolationists.

Eddie Haskell
05-05-10, 19:53
All Nick Clegg did, particularly in the first debate, was make a point of separating himself from Cameron and Brown. He was constantly acting holier-than-thou. I get the impression that because the Lib Dems (formerly Liberals) have been out of power for a very long time he feels they shouldn't be scrutinized the same as the other two parties.

I wonder, if you hadn't known which parties the three men represented, would you have said what you said then?

Many very intelligent politicians can appear smug when they are contrasted with others who are not so smart. The holier-than-thou act that you see is inevitable coming from your perspective. It's human nature after all.

And yes, I have a good understanding of the three parties, their constituencies and aspirations. My previous post concerning my observations was based more on appearance than substance; although certainly as a human being I am always tainted with bias to a certain extent. And as I said, they all appeared to be conscientious and cared about the future of the country. None appeared to pandering or pretentious, and compared to a US Presidential debate it was like a small family argument. I found it refreshing and open.

jackles
05-05-10, 19:55
That was a refreshing outlook on it Eddie. Interesting to see how things look to an outsider.

Kelly Craftman
05-05-10, 20:20
Torries :)

ZapTheLadyBird
05-05-10, 20:39
Too young to vote. Though I figured that whoever did win the election would do a bad job, so I'm not too fussed :/

Reggie
06-05-10, 09:32
As an outside observer I found none of them to be "smug". In fact, Mr. Clegg appeared to be the exact opposite; he came across as caring, thoughtful and a man of ideas who sought to clean house of the stale concepts of the past. Mr Cameron came across as the forceful type who has a tough plan to get things done, and laid out the bitter sacrifices that needed to be accomplished in order to set the stage for a brighter future. Mr. Brown had the unenviable position of the incumbent in a bad economy, and he was forced to play the role of defender most of the time. However, he came across as quite caring and a defender of the common man.

That was a refreshing outlook on it Eddie. Interesting to see how things look to an outsider.
I agree with Jackie it is a refreshing post here. Its nice to see a more balanced and impartial view on our election and I wholly agree with it. I don't despise any of three main leaders and besides, this is not and shouldn't be a personality contest. Its about who we think has the right plan for our future as a country. Arrogance is not a desired characteristic in any leader but I haven't seen that in any great measure from any of the three leaders only conviction and confidence in their own party and their plans for the future.

Smog
06-05-10, 10:19
Just voted Conservative.

I could have voted for King Arthur Pendragon as an independent candidate, however. I'm not even kidding. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon) He has a beard and Excalibur and everything. :cool:

ggctuk
06-05-10, 11:29
To get in, Lib Dems would have to get about 60% of the vote. It will never happen. At this current time, voting Lib Dem risks a hung parliament. I don't know if Cameron is hiding another set of balls but in any case I'm voting Conservative. Or should I say, I already voted Conservative.

disneyprincess20
06-05-10, 11:50
I agree with Jackie it is a refreshing post here. Its nice to see a more balanced and impartial view on our election and I wholly agree with it. I don't despise any of three main leaders and besides, this is not and shouldn't be a personality contest. Its about who we think has the right plan for our future as a country. Arrogance is not a desired characteristic in any leader but I haven't seen that in any great measure from any of the three leaders only conviction and confidence in their own party and their plans for the future.

I whole-heartedly agree with you and Jackie about Eddie's post, it's intereswting to read. However, I'm not so sure that elections are not personality contests - they are, its just that they shouldn't be about the party leaders' personalities, it should be about your local candidates personality, and how they'll affect your area. It's all very well voting for the most charismatic leader of 'A Certain Party', but if your local candidate from 'A Certain Party' promises to close schools and hospitals, raise council tax 400% and allow animal sacrifices to happen in your area, then you're really not doing yourself any favours.

Reggie
06-05-10, 12:08
To get in, Lib Dems would have to get about 60% of the vote. It will never happen. At this current time, voting Lib Dem risks a hung parliament. I don't know if Cameron is hiding another set of balls but in any case I'm voting Conservative. Or should I say, I already voted Conservative.
The fight here is between Lib Dems and Conservatives and our local MP who is Lib Dem deserves to be re-elected as she's evidentially done a good job here since her election in 2005 so I don't consider it a wasted vote at all. This country can work with a hung parliament and the threat of one would never phase me into voting Conservative even if I do like some of their policies.
I whole-heartedly agree with you and Jackie about Eddie's post, it's intereswting to read. However, I'm not so sure that elections are not personality contests - they are, its just that they shouldn't be about the party leaders' personalities, it should be about your local candidates personality, and how they'll affect your area. It's all very well voting for the most charismatic leader of 'A Certain Party', but if your local candidate from 'A Certain Party' promises to close schools and hospitals, raise council tax 400% and allow animal sacrifices to happen in your area, then you're really not doing yourself any favours.
Exactly and from the people I've spoke to, they couldn't give two hoots about a leader's personality if their personalities don't match up. If that was the case, Nick Clegg's popularity surge would have lasted but unfortunately for the Lib Dems, their policies don't match up to popular opinion on many fronts - however on a local level, the Lib Dems have the best policies IMO.

ggctuk
06-05-10, 12:16
I looked it up. The country suffered at the last hung parliament. Details can be found by leapfrogging off from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_February_1974

Any further discussion I think we should take into the main Election thread.

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 12:45
To get in, Lib Dems would have to get about 60% of the vote. It will never happen. At this current time, voting Lib Dem risks a hung parliament. I don't know if Cameron is hiding another set of balls but in any case I'm voting Conservative. Or should I say, I already voted Conservative.In certain areas (up north I should imagine) it is a two horse race between the Lib Dems and Labour. In those cases I can't see the harm in the Lib Dems nicking a seat off of Labour. However, many people think a surge in Lib Dem votes will harm the Tories more.

This country can work with a hung parliamentNot very well. If there is a hung parliament the markets will tank tomorrow morning and the pound will plummet. Nothing will get done in parliament until things are sorted out.

disneyprincess20
06-05-10, 13:19
Exactly and from the people I've spoke to, they couldn't give two hoots about a leader's personality if their personalities don't match up. If that was the case, Nick Clegg's popularity surge would have lasted but unfortunately for the Lib Dems, their policies don't match up to popular opinion on many fronts - however on a local level, the Lib Dems have the best policies IMO.

Maybe in general, but the local MP (http://www.nsomersetlibdems.org.uk/councillors) for my parents (who is Lib Dem) is just rude. She's sacrificed a lot of the village to industrialists, and doesn't listen when people complain. She's also significantly held up the development of affordable housing, for all sorts of phoney reasons. I really hope she finally gets ousted, because she's awful. However she is a singular case and I'm sure there are better Lib Dem MPs across the country.

Lavinder
06-05-10, 13:56
I'd love to see who voted BNP... :p. Nothing against them, it's their vote, but it would still make me chuckle to find out who.

Capt. Murphy
06-05-10, 14:07
My choice is Pepsi. :ohn:

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 14:47
I'd love to see who voted BNP... :p. Nothing against them, it's their vote, but it would still make me chuckle to find out who.I bet most of them are just normal people. Misguided and possibly deluded yes, but still normal.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-05-10, 15:18
Liberal Democrats.

Gordon Brown needs to go and David Cameron would be like electing Bush in the UK

Chocola teapot
06-05-10, 15:20
Monster Raving Looney party.

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 15:25
Liberal Democrats.

Gordon Brown needs to go and David Cameron would be like electing Bush in the UKLol, no. Eddie Haskell was spot on when he said all three leaders would probably be democratic in the US.

Another Lara
06-05-10, 15:48
I'd love to see who voted BNP... :p. Nothing against them, it's their vote, but it would still make me chuckle to find out who.

I think my nan is voting BNP because she feels justified where she lives (Barking, East London) as she has watched over the last ten years her area become so full of foreigners, she feels a stranger in her own town. She gets dirty looks wherever she goes and constantly feels threatened.

I mean Barking was a dump ten years ago, but it was no where near as bad as it is now... but even if I lived there I still wouldn't vote BNP I don't think... but then again i don't have to live with it!

larson n natla
06-05-10, 16:38
Really sad at the prospect of the conservatives running the country the damage done to my education, and especially my plans for higher education the fees that they are planning to charge are simply impossible to pay without help/debt. Also stopping the "building schools for the future" scheme is ridiculous my own school has recently had a new building built at the cost of 17,000,000 but the building is expected to be the most advanced in the north west and will finally enable us to move out of the "mobile halls" from which we have had to cope with for 4 years and into a more comfortable learning environment. :(

Ward Dragon
06-05-10, 16:39
Human rights law - I know a lot on here don't agree with it but I am a firm, firm believer in the Human Rights Act and all that it entails.

What exactly does this law entail? You've given reasons why it's good, but not what it actually does (probably since everyone in the UK already knows what it does). Is it like US rights against unlawful search and seizure, self-incrimination, being held without being charged with a crime, etc.?

Wow long post sorry guys. :) Debate away!!! I'm not really sure if my reasoning is sound but it is reasoning nonetheless - so there we go. Better than "I hate the Tories" or "David Cameron annoys me" - incidentally he does but that's him , not his party!!!

Your post seemed reasonable :)

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 16:41
Really sad at the prospect of the conservatives running the country the damage done to my education, and especially my plans for higher education the fees that they are planning to charge are simply impossible to pay without help/debt. Also stopping the "building schools for the future" scheme is ridiculous my own school has recently had a new building built at the cost of 17,000,000 but the building is expected to be the most advanced in the north west and will finally enable us to move out of the "mobile halls" from which we have had to cope with for 4 years and into a more comfortable learning environment. :(Do you not realize that whoever gets in will make drastic cuts?

Lavinder
06-05-10, 16:49
I think my nan is voting BNP because she feels justified where she lives (Barking, East London) as she has watched over the last ten years her area become so full of foreigners, she feels a stranger in her own town. She gets dirty looks wherever she goes and constantly feels threatened.

I mean Barking was a dump ten years ago, but it was no where near as bad as it is now... but even if I lived there I still wouldn't vote BNP I don't think... but then again i don't have to live with it!

I do believe the BNP in the fact that we need to stop immigration, because even though I will get slated at being racist but everyday I see and come across people with really bad attitudes and no respect. Not so much the black people, but the asian/islamic people stay together in their tight knit groups, and call us 'white' people racialist and derogatory terms using their own language. I'm not saying all people from a different background are like this, just the majority.

We are an island, we are heavily unemployed yet we are letting foreign people join our country. I say crack down on lessening the benefits that people get when unemployed, and give our country's people more morale to work - rather than giving all the jobs to eager foreigners.

Buffy87
06-05-10, 17:07
What exactly does this law entail? You've given reasons why it's good, but not what it actually does (probably since everyone in the UK already knows what it does). Is it like US rights against unlawful search and seizure, self-incrimination, being held without being charged with a crime, etc.?

I was just about to go offline when I saw this post and thought I had better answer it. You are correct - when I reread my post I don't actually give details of what the laws protect. Oops! So here we go.. this is my interpretation/understanding of it anyhow. (Incidentally Blackstones ( the publishers) have a very good guide to the Human Rights Act which contains said Act along with the European Convention on Human Rights which it runs alongside. It also has some excellent guidance on each article, if anyone has an interest in understanding Human Rights Law. My edition is 2 years old now but the law is the same).

Here goes:( just mentioning the most important as I see them)The Human Rights Act 1998 gives effect to the European Convention on Human Rights and the most important provisions are as follows:

The most important thing that the law did - in my opinion - is abolish the death penalty which although already abolished for both treason and murder still remained in force for some military offences. However, the death penalty is still permitted in times of war under I think protocol 6. So in essence it gets rid of the death penalty - I know that isn't really a protection per say but it was an important part of the Act.

Article 3 - prohibits torture, inhuman or otherwise degrading treatment - quite wide I know but it needs to be. In general it applies to torture ( obviously) but also to poor conditions whilst in detention. Detention does not just encompass career criminals or terrorists or whatnot though - feasibly it can include someone been locked in police cell overnight for a Drunk and Disorderly and been treated inhumanely, degradingly or made to confess to something he hasn't done - say a murder that occurred in the same area. Yes, it does protect terrorists too and I know people hate that ( quite rightly) but in my opinion you can't allow torture in one situation but forbid it in another ( as naive as that may be) s the provision is a good one IMO.

Article 4 prohibits slavery and forced labour - likely been made to work in fear of violence, destitution etc etc.

Article 5 deals with the right to liberty and security - freedom from unlawful arrest, the right of prompt access to judicial proceedings ( for anything at all civil or criminal), the right to compensation for unlawful arrest or detention.

Article 6 - the right to a fair trial. Pretty self explanatory I think. Yes criminals like Venables have been able to use it but it is something I think everyone should have. If I was accused of something I didn't do I would want the right to a fair, impartial trial. And I am as I say of the belief that you can't take rights away from people just because you disagree with things they have done, because it sets a precedent for someone deciding that you don't have that particular right either because they don;t like what you have done etc etc.

Then there is right to family life, the right for women and men to marry, right to privacy ( which we do not have in the UK so is very useful in defamation cases often), right to freedom of conscience and religion ( the state cannot impose religion or a particular way of thinking upon its citizens). The right to expression - i.e. freedom of speech ( I'm sure everyone would notice if that was taken away). Freedom from discrimination, sexual, racial or otherwise.

The only issue I have currently is that the right to marriage does not encompass same sex relationships and I think it should, irrespective of whether same sex couples want to marry or not. They should certainly have the legal right to as far as the ECHR is concerned.

In essence I suppose it is reasonably similar to some of the US provisions , there are drawbacks to the system but on the whole it is well meaning and protects us/gives us the right to many things we take for granted I think.

Is that helpful?? It kinda looks like a half legal essay!

Agent 47
06-05-10, 17:07
Q, which party went to a war we the people didn't want?
Q, which party actively supported a British Bank loan to put hundreds of UK employees out of work? (Kraft vs Cadbury)

i can not and will not tolerate another Labour Lamefest government, change is needed folks :jmp:

I voted Tory and proud of it (like i always do) :D

and now back to Battlefield Bad Company....bye :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
06-05-10, 17:34
Maybe im glad I couldnt vote... Labour would keep ema and benefits while the others will potenially cut them. Lib dem however is my first choice :/

larson n natla
06-05-10, 17:36
Do you not realize that whoever gets in will make drastic cuts?

Yes I do Tony, your not the only one with a faint idea of politics you know :whi:

But Cameron is targeting eduction and the public sector hardest this is disgusting, freezing pay for public sector workers for a ridiculous amount of time is silly. Just my opinion I know you support the Conservatives :tmb:

lara c. fan
06-05-10, 17:38
Do you not realize that whoever gets in will make drastic cuts?

Well the Lib Dems are gonna have to pull money out of their asses if they want to make drastic cuts and still do what I was telling you about earlier :p

xXhayleyroxXx
06-05-10, 17:40
people in north yorkshire could not vote today because one of the candidates died :/ At least im not the only one who feels a bit left out

lara c. fan
06-05-10, 17:42
people in north yorkshire could not vote today because one of the candidates died :/ At least im not the only one who feels a bit left out

Hayley, I'm fairly sure there is many other under 18s that couldn't vote even if one of the candidates hadn't died that are feeling a bit left out. :p

rickybazire
06-05-10, 17:44
Conservative. They're just very good locally, better than Labour anyway.

NightsGoneSour
06-05-10, 17:57
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO VOTE FOR CONSERATIVE OR LIB DEM...

Screw labour...They've being around with Brown for three years and :cen: all has being done.

lara c. fan
06-05-10, 17:57

Screw labour...They've being around with Brown for three years and :cen: all has being done.

Conservative....

Do it :D

larson n natla
06-05-10, 17:59

It is up to you, I would say Lib Dem :tmb:

jackles
06-05-10, 18:03

That is part of the reason why I made the poll private, to see if people would feel happier about posting their choices if they retained anonymity. Plus voting is a private thing. :) I figured if people were happy to tell all they would via the thread.

larson n natla
06-05-10, 18:05
That is part of the reason why I made the poll private, to see if people would feel happier about posting their choices if they retained anonymity. Plus voting is a private thing. :) I figured if people were happy to tell all they would via the thread.

Good choice :cool:

Another Lara
06-05-10, 18:24
I do believe the BNP in the fact that we need to stop immigration, because even though I will get slated at being racist but everyday I see and come across people with really bad attitudes and no respect. Not so much the black people, but the asian/islamic people stay together in their tight knit groups, and call us 'white' people racialist and derogatory terms using their own language. I'm not saying all people from a different background are like this, just the majority.

We are an island, we are heavily unemployed yet we are letting foreign people join our country. I say crack down on lessening the benefits that people get when unemployed, and give our country's people more morale to work - rather than giving all the jobs to eager foreigners.

Exactly! :tmb:

TRULuverzz
06-05-10, 18:28
i cant vote but if i could, i'd vote for Liberal Democrats :D

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 19:27
Q, which party went to a war we the people didn't want?About the only thing they got right.

Maybe im glad I couldnt vote... Labour would keep ema and benefits while the others will potenially cut them. Lib dem however is my first choice :/EMA is completely wasteful anyway. I hope it does get cut.

Just been out vote telling for a couple of hours. Cold as hell but I was talking to some other Conservative guy for like an hour so it wasn't that bad.

herothing
06-05-10, 19:38

+2

It seems as though nothing is being done to stop immigration, soon this country will no longer be Britain...

Lavinder
06-05-10, 19:39
About the only thing they got right.

EMA is completely wasteful anyway. I hope it does get cut.

Just been out vote telling for a couple of hours. Cold as hell but I was talking to some other Conservative guy for like an hour so it wasn't that bad.

I don't think EMA is wasteful - my parents can't afford to pay for all my essentials.

larson n natla
06-05-10, 19:41

Wasteful to people able to afford it yes, but that's why it is there to provide for those who can not. Another example of conservative for the rich.

moodydog
06-05-10, 19:42

If you got ema, would you be saying that?
or
If you do get ema, why are you saying that?

Mad Tony
06-05-10, 19:48
Wasteful to people able to afford it yes, but that's why it is there to provide for those who can not. Another example of conservative for the rich.Hardly. I'm not rich. Coming from a family who earn 25,000/30,000+ a year does not necessarily make you rich.

If you got ema, would you be saying that?
or
If you do get ema, why are you saying that?I do get EMA, but only 10 a week. I'm just lucky the financial year it's taken from my step dad didn't make much from his plumbing job. :p

Why am I saying it? On the whole I feel it's a big waste of public money. College is already taxpayer funded (and so it should be). However, you shouldn't get paid for going to college. It just seems like they're trying to bribe people into going on to further education. Some people only go for the money.

If not scrap it they should at least drastically lower the thresholds.

Ward Dragon
06-05-10, 19:59
Is that helpful?? It kinda looks like a half legal essay!

Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write it :) Aside from abolishing the death penalty, it sounds pretty much the same as the US Bill of Rights. Obviously I'm biased, but I think that's a good thing. Everyone should be innocent until proven guilty, and everyone should be afforded the same rights. If we allow the government to infringe on the rights of suspected criminals, then next thing we know we won't have any rights either.

I have one more question though which concerns the ban on forced labor -- are prisons allowed to require prisoners to do community service? Like cleaning up trash or something to that effect (not anything that would damage their health).

I definitely agree :tmb: I usually make the game-based polls public, but I think that polls on actual real-life controversial issues should be anonymous and people can post if they want to reveal what they voted :)

lara c. fan
06-05-10, 20:03
Wasteful to people able to afford it yes, but that's why it is there to provide for those who can not. Another example of conservative for the rich.

I'm the same as MT, I'm not rich, yet I support that.

CroftGameGirl
06-05-10, 20:31
Lib dems, if I were able to :)

lara c. fan
06-05-10, 20:52
Seeing as most of the people that are under age seem to go for Lib Dem, I'm curious.

How many of you under aged people read the Lib Dem manifesto? Or did you just go by the televised debates? Or, like someone at school, purely because you like Nick Clegg's name?

Forwen
06-05-10, 21:04
Exit polls give 3 seats fewer to the Lib Dems. Lol.

ggctuk
06-05-10, 21:14
Exit poll predicts a hung parliament. More details in the other thread.

Buffy87
06-05-10, 22:12
I have one more question though which concerns the ban on forced labor -- are prisons allowed to require prisoners to do community service? Like cleaning up trash or something to that effect (not anything that would damage their health).
)

Yes they are and they do. We have varying levels of and different types of community service here. Only last week I saw a guy doing community service in my local supermarket - cleaning the aisles of rubbish and helping customers with where to find certain items etc - essentially doing the employees job. It all depends on the level of the crime and the "security" of the public as to what kinds of community service can be done. As you say clearing the streets of rubbish is reasonably popular/commonplace.

Ward Dragon
06-05-10, 22:21
Yes they are and they do. We have varying levels of and different types of community service here. Only last week I saw a guy doing community service in my local supermarket - cleaning the aisles of rubbish and helping customers with where to find certain items etc - essentially doing the employees job. It all depends on the level of the crime and the "security" of the public as to what kinds of community service can be done. As you say clearing the streets of rubbish is reasonably popular/commonplace.

Ah, thanks for the explanation :D The law sounds completely reasonable based upon what you have described.

Another Lara
06-05-10, 22:24
Seeing as most of the people that are under age seem to go for Lib Dem, I'm curious.

How many of you under aged people read the Lib Dem manifesto? Or did you just go by the televised debates? Or, like someone at school, purely because you like Nick Clegg's name?

I think it's more who the latest fad is and seeing as the lib dems are pretty much a fad ATM, the young people say they support them!

Luckily these youngsters are too young to vote if that is the case as they will hopefully learn to grow up and actually make a personal judgement on a partys policies rather than who all the "cool" people support!

Lemmie
07-05-10, 10:54
I think it's more who the latest fad is and seeing as the lib dems are pretty much a fad ATM, the young people say they support them!

Luckily these youngsters are too young to vote if that is the case as they will hopefully learn to grow up and actually make a personal judgement on a partys policies rather than who all the "cool" people support!

Do you think that's why young people who did vote for the Liberal Democrats voted for them?

Reggie
07-05-10, 11:21
Do you think that's why young people who did vote for the Liberal Democrats voted for them?
I concur. I voted Lib Dem fully aware and supportive of their policies. That's more than I could say for many Conservative voters. I refuse to believe that our area made an informed decision overall. It doesn't make sense.

Another Lara
07-05-10, 12:43

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm honest!

I concur. I voted Lib Dem fully aware and supportive of their policies. That's more than I could say for many Conservative voters. I refuse to believe that our area made an informed decision overall. It doesn't make sense.

I rest my case!

lol, joking! Seriously though, can I just ask what policies of theirs you agreed with? Just curious, not going to take the mick or argue etc, just nosey! :)

And for the record, at the beginnning of this election, well after seeing the first TV debate I was leaning more towards Lib Dem as I liked the way Clegg came across and he seemed like a nice guy, but after hearing some of their policies (amnesty for illegal immigrants being the main one) I changed my mind to Tory.... I wouldn't call myself a pure blue supporter, I prefer to look at a party's ideas and vote that way, and the fact that I despise Gordon Brown and his party more than anything, voting Tory seemed the way to go in order that my vote wasn't wasted!

Kiss-Bite
07-05-10, 13:37
You sound pure Tory through & through to me...

Mad Tony
07-05-10, 14:19
You sound pure Tory through & through to me...Nice to know I'm not the only one on here. :D

Another Lara
07-05-10, 14:21
You sound pure Tory through & through to me...

No that's my boyfriend... I may have been born and bred a Tory but I'm not one of those people who thinks "I was born a Tory and so will die a Tory, no matter what crap they put us through!" like a lot of Labours supporters!

I also did not vote Tory in the local elections as they are crap for my local area, I voted for a more local party... don't think they got in though which is a shame! :(

IceColdLaraCroft
07-05-10, 14:22
*runs screaming from elections*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*stops*

I don't live in the U.K.

*plays tomb raider*

jaywalker
07-05-10, 14:33
I was brought up in a maggie country.. was raised a tory and have always voted tory.. BUT i do not just blindly do it.. i do actually read up on their policies and have a view about what they say and do.. dont always agree etc.

locally where i lived in wimbledon it has gone from lib dem to tory etc, and altho the name above the door changed, the people in the council were the same, just a few minor changes, lib dems have proven themselves really effective at local levels..

i am actually kinda looking forward to seeing how cameron and clegg can get on..

Kiss-Bite
07-05-10, 14:41
No that's my boyfriend... I may have been born and bred a Tory but I'm not one of those people who thinks "I was born a Tory and so will die a Tory, no matter what crap they put us through!" like a lot of Labours supporters!

I also did not vote Tory in the local elections as they are crap for my local area, I voted for a more local party... don't think they got in though which is a shame! :(

Oh, I kind of already knew what you just communicated... intuition & reading between the lines. Still you got an attack in there...

You seemed a little annoyed... is there something wrong with being a pure supporter of the party you grew up with & currently support?

Another Lara
07-05-10, 14:49
Oh, I kind of already knew what you just communicated... intuition & reading between the lines. Still you got an attack in there...

You seemed a little annoyed... is there something wrong with being a pure supporter of the party you grew up with & currently support?

Apologies if I did... I've been a bit riled up today due to Labour supporters I know (and I point out all northern lol!) ganging up on me and getting nasty because I voted Tory, which has got my back up a bit and so I'm a bit on the defence at the mo! :o

jaywalker
07-05-10, 14:55
Apologies if I did... I've been a bit riled up today due to Labour supporters I know (and I point out all northern lol!) ganging up on me and getting nasty because I voted Tory, which has got my back up a bit and so I'm a bit on the defence at the mo! :o

:hug:

northerners do have a thing about labour ;) i should know being a northerner heh. very union and socialist based.. red being the party (not gordon)

Mad Tony
07-05-10, 14:55
Apologies if I did... I've been a bit riled up today due to Labour supporters I know (and I point out all northern lol!) ganging up on me and getting nasty because I voted Tory, which has got my back up a bit and so I'm a bit on the defence at the mo! :oHow ironic coming from then. :p

Kiss-Bite
07-05-10, 15:29

I'm sorry to hear that... the one thing I do stand by is that this is a free democratic country which should mean people are free to exercise the luxury of being able to vote. To make a choice in whatever direction they wish to send a vote... without any aggression... obvious or passive. To just agree to disagree... if choices made are not mirrored. :)

Buffy87
07-05-10, 16:07
Wow I am very sorry to hear that the Labour supporters were so nasty to you Another Lara. Being a northerner and a Labour supporter myself , it makes me quite upset. I agree with Kiss Bite in that everyone is entitled to use their vote however they wish to use it. If people want to vote Conservative/Labour/Lib Dem/ whatever they should be entitled to do so without people ganging up on them and being nasty.

Thankfully I have only encountered that once this election period - and that was from a BNP candidate and his little minions - apparently I just do not care enough about my heritage and my country to "get rid of" all the immigrants. They soon shut up once I told them that as my father was Irish and technically an immigrant himself I was well aware of my multicultural heritage and didn't need them to tell me about it. They even informed me that if our society was like 1920's-1930's Germany I would be far better off. Yeah.. I studied that historical period and better off I would not be thank you very much. Mind you they still asked me if he worked - and what I did. Idiots. Bit of a sidetrack but they annoyed me :P

Anyhow..if someone gets nasty with you then just attack them with witty retorts - or make them look stupid. Works for me all the time.

lara c. fan
07-05-10, 16:11
Anyhow..if someone gets nasty with you then just attack them with witty retorts - or make them look stupid. Works for me all the time.

I enjoy doing that.

Anyhoo, IMO, you should know what you're voting for before you put the mark on the ballot paper. People who don't know jack-**** about the party that they are voting for's policies, just shouldn't vote.

Alive_and_Funky
07-05-10, 20:23
Is it wrong that I'm going to look back on today fondly (with the hung parliament)? I don't know, I just find it funny how the politicians have hardly any idea of what to do. Well, I suppose you could say that's the case the majority of the time anyway...

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong thread or anything. Didn't notice the other election thread.
Um, go Lib Dems? I was hoping for them to win last time around too. They just seem to speak the most sense to me.