PDA

View Full Version : Less/More

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 03:03
What are some things you're tired of hearing about/discussing? What would you rather see instead?

NightsGoneSour
07-05-10, 03:04
Less, I hate Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld, ok I have dislikes for them too but I dont wanna see "CD is doing this wrong" in almost every thread.

CiaKonwerski
07-05-10, 03:05
Less 90120/More Smallville.

I was watching the CW this evening, and I saw about 5 previews for 90210 and just 1 for Smallville. And a whole lot more previews were given to Gossip Girl too. I was just like ugh...

remote91
07-05-10, 03:14
Less Pop, more Alternative/Contemporary/Adult/Indie music discussion

NightsGoneSour
07-05-10, 03:15
Less Pop, more Alternative/Contemporary/Adult/Indie music discussion

I agree...I actually thought the Tomb Raider forums would have lots of threads on alternative instead its all Britney Spears and Lady Gaga.

spikejones
07-05-10, 03:24
less rating threads (thank god they've been locked now and the rating captioning thread is a lesser evil). Less pop culture threads - but I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, granted the quorum of the forum. I would however like to see more thought provoking threads. Not necessarily news threads as I get tired of "this and that bad news" threads. Politics and religion are grounds for great debate, but can and have erupt into flame wars quite easily, not to mention these types threads happen to be retread every quarter to half a year. Philosophical discussions are nice, though it seems as though they rarely stay afloat.

all in all, I imagine things aren't going to change much any time soon - to be honest. What some may consider a good topic may be entirely overlooked by another. Case in point (and not to ***** or anything): in a thread I just created in the wee hours of the morning today, there were a few good meaty replies - but there were 2 consisting of "i quit reading after this line" followed by a quotation of such and the appendage of "I agree". Total qualitative post count (discounting the OP): 15.. 3 of which weren't on topic per se and dealt with misconception of the text quoted, 1 of which was a video. In all, 11 responses (one of which was my own) were actual text relating to the topic at hand. Meanwhile we have threads such as this one (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=168067) which generate 19 pages within 4 hours of being created... and theres no real conversation going on. Just people posting pics of celeb's that they wanna "get with".

pekirock
07-05-10, 03:26
I agree...I actually thought the Tomb Raider forums would have lots of threads on alternative instead its all Britney Spears and Lady Gaga.

There's only one of each :p... Anyway, I would wish that there will be less people who try to bash people like Britney and GaGa and all those famous stars ;)

patriots88888
07-05-10, 03:27
Less kids stuff and more adult minded conversation; meaning more serious topics without the excessive, random chitty chatty spam added... although the demographics of this forum won't allow for that.

miss.haggard
07-05-10, 03:28
MOAR STAR WARSSSSS!!!!! v

Mikky
07-05-10, 03:31
Less 90120/More Smallville.

I was watching the CW this evening, and I saw about 5 previews for 90210 and just 1 for Smallville. And a whole lot more previews were given to Gossip Girl too. I was just like ugh...

:vlol:

Hmm.. Interesting question. I'll think about it...

CiaKonwerski
07-05-10, 03:32
Huh? Think about what? I am confused.

Mikky
07-05-10, 03:36
Huh? Think about what? I am confused.

I was refering to the opening post, silly. :p

EmeraldFields
07-05-10, 03:38
Less *****ing about more serious threads and more action about creating them. :whi:

CiaKonwerski
07-05-10, 03:38
Oh, lol. I see now. The laughing smiley was for me and then your post post was for the opening post. I feel dumb now. lol. :/

LaraLuvrrr
07-05-10, 03:39
Less U.S. economy, jobs situation, climate change, world ending crap

MORE innocent fun, joking, enjoying company, positive talk

Mikky
07-05-10, 03:42
Oh, lol. I see now. The laughing smiley was for me and then your post post was for the opening post. I feel dumb now. lol. :/

Please don't feel dumb! Here, I'll give you a hug! :hug:

I've got a good one! More hugs! :D

patriots88888
07-05-10, 03:44
Less *****ing about more serious threads and more action about creating them. :whi:

I've reached the conclusion that there really isn't much worth discussing on this forum. Anything interesting gets shot down in flames by lazy brains who prefer spamming the hell out of any good conversation/discussion. :whi:

spikejones
07-05-10, 03:49
I've reached the conclusion that there really isn't much worth discussing on this forum. Anything interesting gets shot down in flames by lazy brains who prefer spamming the hell out of any good conversation/discussion. :whi:

A rhapsody! Contestants in disguise
A nation of desire
But who will win the prize?
The people stand united,
Reluctantly aligned
Copying and lying
Are the favorite past-time
You've got a chance
To confront the world today
Desperate romance
Is the curse of castaways
What good is skill
If you don't make it to the dance?
Despite circumstance
You've got a chance

Common life depicted on afternoon tv,
Is spiked to give the miserable a vogue identity
Hate your neighbors,
Cheat your friends,
They don't discriminate
Popularity and fame don't care
If you're a reprobate

You've got a chance
To confront the world today
Desperate romance
What good is skill
Despite circumstance
You've got a chance

I'm tired of all this
Shakespearean misinformation
I want to win the game
You've got the right intentions
But who's got time to think?
You've got a noon appointment,
You've got to hit the links
You're talking in the stratosphere,
You're curled up on the floor
With such a wealth of information,
Why are you so poor?
You've got a chance
To be relevant today
Desperate romance
What good is skill
(don't you believe what the wise men have to say)
Despite circumstance
You've got a chance

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 03:51
Less U.S. economy, jobs situation, climate change, world ending crap

MORE innocent fun, joking, enjoying company, positive talk
Ooh, a challenge! :mis:
less rating threads (thank god they've been locked now and the rating captioning thread is a lesser evil). Less pop culture threads - but I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon, granted the quorum of the forum. I would however like to see more thought provoking threads. Not necessarily news threads as I get tired of "this and that bad news" threads. Politics and religion are grounds for great debate, but can and have erupt into flame wars quite easily, not to mention these types threads happen to be retread every quarter to half a year. Philosophical discussions are nice, though it seems as though they rarely stay afloat.

What's left?

spikejones
07-05-10, 04:02
thats just my point Heather. The state of the forum is essentially dictated by the mindset(s) of its members, until such time that they see differently. I'm not going to say that the ban hammer should be brought down on every thread I disagree with - that would be a totalitarian state. However, I do think that it would be nice to see a bit of reform. The question now becomes.. how does one go about initiating such change?

I hear the argument from the younger generation that they don't come here to use their brains, rather to cut loose and such. Which is all well and good, I won't deny them that at all, but it does seem a pity that whenever a genuine discussion on things outside the realm of pop culture does arise, it gets quickly buried by those that are within the realm of pop culture. Sure theres a few people that can post to it, but without added input - theres only just so far a discussion can go before it goes in circles. Fresh ideas are needed in any discussion in order to keep it alive, and that seems to be the biggest downfall in many of the real discussion threads. I mean, its not really that hard to state ones own opinion on something, or to ask a question if you don't know about it.

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 04:15
thats just my point Heather. The state of the forum is essentially dictated by the mindset(s) of its members, until such time that they see differently. I'm not going to say that the ban hammer should be brought down on every thread I disagree with - that would be a totalitarian state. However, I do think that it would be nice to see a bit of reform. The question now becomes.. how does one go about initiating such change?

I hear the argument from the younger generation that they don't come here to use their brains, rather to cut loose and such. Which is all well and good, I won't deny them that at all, but it does seem a pity that whenever a genuine discussion on things outside the realm of pop culture does arise, it gets quickly buried by those that are within the realm of pop culture. Sure theres a few people that can post to it, but without added input - theres only just so far a discussion can go before it goes in circles. Fresh ideas are needed in any discussion in order to keep it alive, and that seems to be the biggest downfall in many of the real discussion threads. I mean, its not really that hard to state ones own opinion on something, or to ask a question if you don't know about it.

I don't think it's time to lose hope just yet, because there hasn't really ever been a concerted effort to make GC more cerebral. It's going to take more than a handful of threads spread far apart to push back against the tide. People who want change are going to have to take a more aggressive tack *feels like Dwight Schrute* :p

tJeJ2pzest8

Carbonek_0051
07-05-10, 04:16

This pretty much.

Lara_Fan_33
07-05-10, 04:20
less fun-killers - more humour, its been proven by science that smiling makes you happier

spikejones
07-05-10, 04:22
I don't think it's time to lose hope just yet, because there hasn't really ever been a concerted effort to make GC more cerebral. It's going to take more than a handful of threads spread far apart to push back against the tide. People who want change are going to have to take a more aggressive tack *feels like Dwight Schrute* :p

well.. I can remember a time when I made a series of threads over 2 or 3 days that had a cerebral nature to them. This not too long before I went on hiatus for a year +. However, its not something that one person can do alone.

aktrekker
07-05-10, 04:28
Less spam and mindless threads.:smk:
More intelligent conversation.

Paddy
07-05-10, 04:31
Less popularity and asskissing threads.

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 04:33
Less popularity and asskissing threads.

Ha. If it keeps up, we'll be at a loss for which people we should consider popular if no real discussion ever takes place :p

Paddy
07-05-10, 04:46
Ha. If it keeps up, we'll be at a loss for which people we should consider popular if no real discussion ever takes place :p
I wouldve been insulted had people voted me in their posts :p

Lara_Fan_33
07-05-10, 04:50
that who was your least fav person on the forums thread was a joke, i mean come one, not only would that make some poeple hate each other, its just an invitationj for bashing and stuff. i dont want anymore of thos either.

Paddy
07-05-10, 04:56
that who was your least fav person on the forums thread was a joke, i mean come one, not only would that make some poeple hate each other, its just an invitationj for bashing and stuff. i dont want anymore of thos either.
The who likes each other threads no better, it often turns into a popularity thing lol

Lara_Fan_33
07-05-10, 05:18
agreed.
those threads need to die :mis:

lara c. fan
07-05-10, 05:26
less fun-killers - more humour, its been proven by science that smiling makes you happier

Are you talking about the serious threads?

Lara_Fan_33
07-05-10, 05:28
no i was talking about poeple in general :p

CerebralAssassin
07-05-10, 05:44
less sentimental drivel (aka whining,for those of you with a limited vocabulary;))

more...umm...moar...ah gosh darn,I'll have to think about that one:p

spikejones
07-05-10, 05:51
MOAR klingon wrestlers and pepper spray plox.

Paddy
07-05-10, 05:56
less sentimental drivel (aka whining,for those of you with a limited vocabulary;))

more...umm...moar...ah gosh darn,I'll have to think about that one:p
More posts from you in general ***** :p

CerebralAssassin
07-05-10, 06:02
More posts from you in general ***** :p

maybe if people harden the **** up around here I'll post moar:p

MOAR klingon wrestlers and pepper spray plox.

he's blind,not a Klingon :mad:

Paddy
07-05-10, 06:08
maybe if people harden the **** up around here I'll post moar:p

Cant argue with that.

sandygrimm
07-05-10, 06:20
Less appreciation threads for stupid celebrities

Andyroo
07-05-10, 06:21
less appreciation threads for stupid celebrities

+1 +1 +1

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 06:22
Less appreciation threads for stupid celebrities

Haha. Good luck with that. It wasn't until recently I was struck by how prevalent music/celeb threads are. If I were more bored, I'd make a pie chart. Hooray insomnia!

spikejones
07-05-10, 06:28
Hooray for insomnia, amp, and the day off work tomorrow. Cheers all 'round!

Alpharaider47
07-05-10, 06:39
This has likely been noted before, but as a general observation, I've noticed that many of the thought stimulating threads if you will, don't last nearly as long as the rate this and that threads. I would like to see more "thinking" threads pop up now and then, or a sub-forum or something dedicated to them. I've been involved in a lot of great discussions on here, and unfortunately a lot of them have been locked due to people hijacking them and beginning flame wars etc. spikejones especially has had some great and well thought out comments here.

TRLegendLuver
07-05-10, 06:53
Less of Justin Bieber. http://www.manysmileys.com/files/S/J4/1p/SJ41p9dW56221610.gif

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 06:57
This has likely been noted before, but as a general observation, I've noticed that many of the thought stimulating threads if you will, don't last nearly as long as the rate this and that threads. I would like to see more "thinking" threads pop up now and then, or a sub-forum or something dedicated to them. I've been involved in a lot of great discussions on here, and unfortunately a lot of them have been locked due to people hijacking them and beginning flame wars etc. spikejones especially has had some great and well thought out comments here.

I've thought of a sub-forum being the answer before, too. But are the people who like deep discussions willing to potentially sacrifice a lot of exposure(views and replies) because many people just won't click on the 'boring srs bsns section'? I suppose MGC could be used for that purpose, but you cut out a lot of people under 18 who are capable of carrying out thoughtful discussion on deeper topics.

They could always clip off the Vestigial Limb (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) and put a serious discussion section in its place :p

almayah
07-05-10, 07:22
I wanna see less:"Legend is the hardest game of the series"
I wanna see more classics :D
Less discussion about Justin Bieber and Ke$ha, more about Linkin Park, Metallica and Evanescence

patriots88888
07-05-10, 07:26
I wanna see less:"Legend is the hardest game of the series"
I wanna see more classics :D
Less discussion about Justin Bieber and Ke$ha, more about Linkin Park, Metallica and Evanescence

As someone has already suggested to me in this thread, make some threads about them then. I'm sure you'll get some followers. Although, I think some of those bands/threads might already exist somewhere out there. Can't be bothered to look right now.

spikejones
07-05-10, 07:40
I think there actually is already a general evanescence appreciation thread. i swear i recall it having surfaced not long ago.

Drone
07-05-10, 07:46
less of this kind of threads

Quasimodo
07-05-10, 07:48
less of this kind of threads

Oh Drone. You've got such a charming personality.