PDA

View Full Version : Does Boredness Lead to Depression?

Mikky
08-05-10, 05:42
^^Do you think it does?

I get tend to get bored very easily. Unfortunetly, this leads into depression very quickly. :(

You're probably thinking it's just boredness and I'll get over it, but it really is making my life hell. Has anyone ever felt this way?

I know it's just temporary (I'm starting a course in 2 months), but does anyone have advice how to overcome this? I have nothing to do at home (apart from TRF :ton: ) and have no friends. :(

I'd like to think of this as a thread where people can give advice to easily bored people like myself, so try and be as nice as possible ;)

Andyroo
08-05-10, 05:45
Personally, for me, it contributes, but is not a major part of my depression.

Mikky
08-05-10, 05:47
Personally, for me, it contributes, but is not a major part of my depression.

Well, what do you do in your spare time? When I say spare time, I mean, ''Aaarrrgghhh! I'm so BORED!!!''

Quasimodo
08-05-10, 05:50
Ask a psychiatrist.

Alpharaider47
I'm in a very similar situation. I moved to Washington from Californian about a year ago and due to various circumstances I'm attending the community college rather than the high school. Because of this I know nobody within my age group, and have no friends. As such i feel I've come to rely on this place much more because there are people here who I regularly talk with.
I find myself becoming bored fairly easily, there's little to do where I live. However, I'm not convinced that boredom itself leads to depression. I think it has a lot to do with your outlook on it. I'm bored quite often, but I try to be optimistic about it. I try to keep myself as busy as possible because then I won't think much about it. College has been great for this, and I'm currently looking for a job.
I'm convinced that once I turn 18 (in a couple months), a whole lot of possibilities will open for me, and i have planned a trip to my birthplace as a bit of soul searching to look forward to. This has helped me deal with my boredom a bit, and now I only truly feel bored a few days a week.

Mikky
^^ Very interesting. Maybe I am just being petty. :pi: I mean, it won't last forever. At least I hope it doesn't. :(

Ask a psychiatrist.

Give me the money to afford one and I might consider it. :p

Apathetic
08-05-10, 05:52
Yes. For me, boredom leads to certain emotions of loneliness and weird feelings.

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 05:55
Yes. For me, boredom leads to certain emotions of loneliness and weird feelings.

I feel the same way, so I'd agree it's a factor, but like I said before, I've found that keeping myself busy or thinking about other things helps a lot.

Quasimodo
08-05-10, 05:57
^^ Very interesting. Maybe I am just being petty. :pi: I mean, it won't last forever. At least I hope it doesn't. :(

Give me the money to afford one and I might consider it. :p

To put it plainly, asking for medical (including mental) health advice from a gaming forum is rather foolish.

Mikky
08-05-10, 05:58
^^ Thanx a lot. That's made me feel much better.

I feel the same way, so I'd agree it's a factor, but like I said before, I've found that keeping myself busy or thinking about other things helps a lot.

Well, if you're ''making yourself busy'' then technically, you're not bored. What kind of stuff do you do in your spare time, anyway?

Andyroo
08-05-10, 06:00
Well, what do you do in your spare time? When I say spare time, I mean, ''Aaarrrgghhh! I'm so BORED!!!''

I am unemployed and not doing any course or anything at the moment, so spare time is every second of the day lol.

I'm on computer a lot lately, never used to stay on for so long. And I have a quad, which luckily for me isn't running that well, so I tinker with that most the time.

There's not much around my house to get rid of boredom, other than my computer, quad and a few other stuff that gets boring after a while. And I'm not as active as I used to be, since I stopped hanging out with a friend up the road.

Boredom makes me feel angry, lonely, sad, all those bad feelings, which are all contributing to my depression. But in the end, when I get beyond the limits of boredom, when I'm soo bored I could jump off the roof just to see what happens, I really just cop it and live with it. Don't know what I can do to get rid of it. :(

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 06:00
^^ Thanx a lot. That's made me feel much better.

Well, if you're ''making yourself busy'' then technically, you're not bored. What kind of stuff do you do in your spare time, anyway?

Well I check TRF, listen to music, daydream I guess lol. I've been planning my little trip so there's that. I'll exercise as well, or hop on my xbox for a bit and chat with my buddies from California. Haha for whatever reason, pretending I'm not bored works for a while too.

Apathetic
08-05-10, 06:02
To put it plainly, asking for medical (including mental) health advice from a gaming forum is rather foolish.

I'm sorry? No offense but this isn't just a gaming forum. There are some pretty intelligent people on here and and it's quite common to find people seeking advice from others. Mikky was merely asking for opinions on the subject.. To call someone foolish for that is a bit extreme. :wve:

Mikky
08-05-10, 06:05
^^I agree with you completely. I don't see TRF as a place where I can only talk about Tomb Raider. Over the past few months, I've really learned that TRF is so much more than that and is filled with lovely people who can give great advice. :hug:
I am unemployed and not doing any course or anything at the moment, so spare time is every second of the day lol.

I'm on computer a lot lately, never used to stay on for so long. And I have a quad, which luckily for me isn't running that well, so I tinker with that most the time.

There's not much around my house to get rid of boredom, other than my computer, quad and a few other stuff that gets boring after a while. And I'm not as active as I used to be, since I stopped hanging out with a friend up the road.

Boredom makes me feel angry, lonely, sad, all those bad feelings, which are all contributing to my depression. But in the end, when I get beyond the limits of boredom, when I'm soo bored I could jump off the roof just to see what happens, I really just cop it and live with it. Don't know what I can do to get rid of it. :(

That's exactly how I feel. :( I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :hug:

Well I check TRF, listen to music, daydream I guess lol. I've been planning my little trip so there's that. I'll exercise as well, or hop on my xbox for a bit and chat with my buddies from California. Haha for whatever reason, pretending I'm not bored works for a while too.

Pretending I'm not bored? I don't think that could work. :o I hate pretending.

Apathetic
08-05-10, 06:06

Same here. Except I never get angry. It's like I'm apathetic or something. :p

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 06:07

Pretending I'm not bored? I don't think that could work. :o I hate pretending.

You'd be surprised lol

Andyroo
08-05-10, 06:10
I'm sorry? No offense but this isn't just a gaming forum. There are some pretty intelligent people on here and and it's quite common to find people seeking advice from others. :wve: To call someone foolish for that is a bit extreme.

1+

And, where better to talk about stuff with people who are going through the same stuff?

From my time here, I see many members going through the same troubles, they are the perfect people to talk to about it.

Mikky
08-05-10, 06:11
^^:hug:

You'd be surprised lol

It's just that I see pretending as a way of lying, and I have a rather annoying obesession to tell the truth. :o

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 06:13
It's just that I see pretending as a way of lying, and I have a rather annoying obesession to tell the truth. :o

Ah yes. I can see your problem now. Keep looking around though, you've got to have something around to do that you've put off for some time. I was feeling the most bored I've felt in a long time the other day so I went for a bike ride. Felt a lot better when I got done and I wasn't bored.

Mikky
08-05-10, 06:15
Ah yes. I can see your problem now. Keep looking around though, you've got to have something around to do that you've put off for some time. I was feeling the most bored I've felt in a long time the other day so I went for a bike ride. Felt a lot better when I got done and I wasn't bored.

Trust me, if I had a bike, I'd be on it ALL day, believe me.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-05-10, 07:54
Yes, i think it can. Fortunately, the majority of the time I can happily enjoy my own company and find something I would like to do. If boredom contributed to my depression I'd probably be seeking help, Im depressed enough:p

MiCkiZ88
08-05-10, 08:33
Might add to it, but depression is not just about being bored with something. There are many factors contributing to it. Hell, you could be filthy rich, well entertained and still be depressed.

Aranara
08-05-10, 08:45
Well, I really don't have time to be bored because my schedule is full. Go there, do that, help x, deliver this, go to school, do homework, go to the dentist, go to the doctor, go pick up something etc.

But in the summer holiday I get bored, and so I go to a movie with my best friend or I go with my sister in the park and rent a boat...

HURLEYstickmen
08-05-10, 09:14
For me, yes. :'(

Drone
08-05-10, 10:23
^^Do you think it does?

I get tend to get bored very easily. Unfortunetly, this leads into depression very quickly. :(

You're probably thinking it's just boredness and I'll get over it, but it really is making my life hell. Has anyone ever felt this way?

Boredom and depression are best friends ever just like cause and effect.
To cure boredom you need either to find something useful to do or to find a person who can change it. Or both. Otherwise boredom will never leave.

Mermaidman
08-05-10, 10:42
Of course you are left on your own devices and you start thinking more deeply or you are just miserable about your existance.

robm_2007
08-05-10, 23:52
i have been thinking this exact same thing, Mikky.

i go to school, but when vacations come around (my summer vacation starting in 2 weeks, which lasts for about 3 months), i am always bored indefinatley. i hate when we have time off of school; except for weekends.

for several months, i havent been able to tell if i am just unfathomably bored or depressed. but, im guessing that they are one in the same, in certain situations.

heres what i have been doing:

browse the internet for anything. go on TRF, imdb, online stores (even if you arent going to buy anything), watch tv shows, etc.
write something. whether it be a fanfiction, new game idea, a poem, short story, screenplay, or just your random thoughts.
go for a walk, while listening to an iPod/Mp3 player.
go to your library and read a book or magazine.
play with your pet (if you have one)
browse through your favorite store, even if you have no money. (just dont steal anything:p)
try a new recipe, or even eat something that you enjoy. just dont go overboard, and eat a whole cake:cool:

it was even so boring last summer, that i was doing homework that i never turned in.:pi:

Tombraiderx08
08-05-10, 23:55
It can for me sometimes, like if there's nothing entertaining to do, like i'll have random thoughts, sometimes they will be happy or whatever, other times not so happy. I think anything can lead to depression though, :vlol:

Encore
08-05-10, 23:57
My honest opinion? No.
Being bored can make you feel sad and all.
But depression is a prolonged state of sadness, not a momentary one.

TRfan23
09-05-10, 00:00
May I ask some users here, can deprived sleep cause depression? I'm just curious.

As for bordness what do I do?

College
Laptop
PS3
Eat
Sleep

That's my life in a nutshell, so yeh I do get bored.
But for some strange reason I've found some enjoyment of being bored? :confused:

I know how to improve, and it's simple - 'Gain More Confidence!'

robm_2007
09-05-10, 00:01
its been so boring, that i find that i am talking to myself; like whole conversations.:pi:

i wonder if prolonged boredom can lead to insanity?

Rai
09-05-10, 00:13
I agree with Encore, Depression is an illness that is far worse than a simple case of the blues that is easily fixed. People use the word to describe their feelings of sadness etc, perhaps mistaking the sadness for depression.

However, severe or prolonged boredom, may contribute to the gradual feeling of loneliness and being sad or fed up etc. I guess there are different severity's of depression, so maybe a milder case can be brought on by circumstances.

Dark Lugia 2
09-05-10, 00:22
May I ask some users here, can deprived sleep cause depression? I'm just curious.

As for bordness what do I do?

College
Laptop
PS3
Eat
Sleep

That's my life in a nutshell, so yeh I do get bored.
But for some strange reason I've found some enjoyment of being bored? :confused:

I know how to improve, and it's simple - 'Gain More Confidence!'

For me (I've had severe sleeping issues for a while) sleep deprivation doesnt cause any sadness or depression because i still have my life going on, meeting friends and going to college mainly. It can affect your mood and other factors but i dont feel depressed. so far I manage to sleep around 3 hours in every 48 hours and have gone even more without sleep at all, but i dunno how you class sleep deprivated XD Hope that was at least interesting for you :p

About the seeking medical advice thing, i find that most of the time people are already arranging to see a medical professional and while waiting to see them/the momment to able to make an appointment they might seek guidance online, just like from a book. Theres nothing wrong with that. _

NightsGoneSour
09-05-10, 00:29
My honest opinion? No.
Being bored can make you feel sad and all.
But depression is a prolonged state of sadness, not a momentary one.

Took the words out of my fingers...Well I can't say mouth or else it will sound like I'm talking to the screen. :vlol:

The best thing to do when I'm bored is just find a hobby, go out, contact a school buddy and see if you wanna go out and talk about stuff.

Being lonely is one of the things that creates boredom and it might be best to just talk to someone next to you.

If I'm bored and my friends are away I try and learn about things on the computer i.e. the human body or egyptians. It just gives me something to do and makes me forget about being bored, so really it cures it well it does for me.

Not trying to be a doctor or anything but I think the reason why your so bored is lack of communication with people, talk to people other than people on the forums, arrange something like a shopping trip or go to the cinemas!

Or you could start making commitments like joining a club or getting a pet!

Catracoth
09-05-10, 00:42
I personally do not believe being bored leads to depression. There's a fine line between being depressed and being upset.

I have nothing to do at home (apart from TRF :ton: ) and have no friends. :(

That's a shock.

Apathetic
09-05-10, 00:44
That's a shock.

:vlol: Your guys' bickering amuses me.

NightsGoneSour
09-05-10, 00:46
How are we bickering? Were calm tempered and we aint arguing about anything. :)

Apathetic
09-05-10, 00:46
How are we bickering? Were calm tempered and we aint arguing about anything. :)

Oh not you. :)

NightsGoneSour
09-05-10, 00:50
Oh not you. :)

Oh, right. :vlol: :) Who? :pi: hehe.

TRfan23
09-05-10, 00:53
For me (I've had severe sleeping issues for a while) sleep deprivation doesnt cause any sadness or depression because i still have my life going on, meeting friends and going to college mainly. It can affect your mood and other factors but i dont feel depressed. so far I manage to sleep around 3 hours in every 48 hours and have gone even more without sleep at all, but i dunno how you class sleep deprivated XD Hope that was at least interesting for you :p

Ah thanks a bunch for that, perked me up more. Considering I go to bed like 3AM and wake up like 11-12AM. On college nights it's like 2AM-7:30AM.

Dark Lugia 2
09-05-10, 01:03
Ah thanks a bunch for that, perked me up more. Considering I go to bed like 3AM and wake up like 11-12AM. On college nights it's like 2AM-7:30AM.

Ahh I see :p glad it made you feel better :D Its best to aim for 8 for health reasons of course, but the least you're getting is around 5 hours, should only make you feel tired really, not depressed :) Then again I'm not a professional, but hey, my experience :p

TRfan23
09-05-10, 01:06
Ahh I see :p glad it made you feel better :D Its best to aim for 8 for health reasons of course, but the least you're getting is around 5 hours, should only make you feel tired really, not depressed :) Then again I'm not a professional, but hey, my experience :p

Yeh I do get extremely tired, but it's an ironic habit. Ironic because a few years back before I started the habit, I was terrified of going to bed very late. So I always went to bed at like 10-11PM.
Either blame my laptop/iPod or my own actions :p

larafan25
09-05-10, 01:09
I think it is vise versa.

Boredness most definately leads to depression, but then the depression causes more boredom.

When you are depressed you basically will go from the computer and be like "What am I doing, I don't want to do this" and go to the game console and turn it on and then be like "Wait, I don't want to play video games" and eventually you are sitting somewhere not knowing what to do or have tried to go to sleep.

You definately need to remember to mix up your activities so you don't get bored and feel stuck in a rut.:)

Lara's home
09-05-10, 01:10
Surely, being bored long enough takes away the joy of life, no?

Alpharaider47
09-05-10, 01:24
Surely, being bored long enough takes away the joy of life, no?

Aye, that it does

CerebralAssassin
09-05-10, 04:24
sometimes it leads to depression.sometimes not.

spikejones
09-05-10, 04:30
I think it can be, rather than a cause of, a symptom of depression. Boredom generally arises from a lack of motivation to do anything, anything at all - and this lack of motivation is an indicator of depression. Thats the way I see it. But I'm no psychologist. Usually when I do find myself getting bored for any apparent reason - I just get on my bike and ride. Then I'll usually find myself either at a friends house, family members house, or going on a mini adventure somewhere I've not been before. Considering I live alone - it happens a lot.

CiaKonwerski
09-05-10, 04:35
I presonally think that being bored can definitely lead to depression. When you have nothing to do at all (like me sometimes), you may start over thinknig about things. When I have nothing to do, I start thinking about death and all of this stuff I should not be. I never have a very positive attitude when I am bored. That is just me though. Some people may be in the happiest moods when there is nothing to do. It all depends on the person really.

spikejones
09-05-10, 04:39
^ sometimes when I'm in the mood to relax and sit in silence - I sort of meditate. Sometimes during those meditation sessions my mind will drift inwards rather than outwards (which is counterproductive to meditation). Whenever that happens, I just end up writing down whatever is on my mind.

star-dust
09-05-10, 04:39
I think it depends on the person.

For me, if I'm with another person and we're bored I don't get depressed because I can tell that person and we can move on to something else. (In most cases).

But, if I'm alone and bored I actually eat, even though I'm not hungry and in turn that makes me depressed because I'm eating more than I should. And I get depressed because it feels sometimes like I have nothing when I'm bored. Although I have plenty of stuff...

almayah
09-05-10, 08:28
Nooo
Well, not in my case
Even tho all my friends leave at the summer before me, I never get THAT bored that it leads to a depression :rolleyes:

Peanut
09-05-10, 08:35
edit

Apathetic
09-05-10, 08:36
Edit

Peanut
09-05-10, 08:39
Sorry, I just think that everyone has friends but doesn't know who or where they are yet!
Go somewhere with a lot of people, pick someone and say Hi. :)
That usually works. :p

But really, having no friends is unhealthy. :(

Apathetic
09-05-10, 08:46
Thank you :)

touchthesky
09-05-10, 08:52
I think my boyfriend gets that. He gets awful huffy when the holidays from uni are on lol.

Then he moans he's not seeing his friends, and his friends phone him and invite him out and he does not go...:confused:

Men.

Peanut
09-05-10, 08:52
No you can't.
But at the Beginning of my year as a 9th grader I was a Loner. Walked alone, didn't talk to anyone. Until I actually talked to someone, and they became my Best Friend!
Just start with something simple. "Can I borrow a pencil please?"

I think my boyfriend gets that. He gets awful huffy when the holidays from uni are on lol.

Then he moans he's not seeing his friends, and his friends phone him and invite him out and he does not go...:confused:

Men.

LOL. I guess he's lazy or not in the mood. :p

CelticGuard
09-05-10, 08:57
I throw tantrums when I'm bored occasionally, taking at least half an hour to calm down, nothing much though.

lunavixen
09-05-10, 10:11
i think its possibly a contributing factor but not a cause

TRULuverzz
09-05-10, 13:09
Not if you turn on some good mood music! :tmb:

Capt. Murphy
09-05-10, 13:22
Boredom alone doesn't lead to depression. Not having anything to do can do that... Like, having a feeling of unfulfillment or that you're not utilizing your talents in a productive way. Eh, that can make you bored, but if it gets to where it becomes a constant day-to-day things... That can lead to depression.

Other things that lead to depression. The loss of a loved one, a pet, or a close friend, or a missed opportunity. That's all I can think of ATM. I guess it came to me rather easily seeing as I know those feelings first hand.

And the elephant in the room. Loneliness.

Will I ever be married or will I die alone? Will I ever get a good/high paying job? How much more hair will fall out of my head? Will I make enough to retire when I can't work?

See. There's plenty more things you could be depressed about. :mis:

the ancient
09-05-10, 13:29
^^Do you think it does?

I know it's just temporary (I'm starting a course in 2 months), but does anyone have advice how to overcome this? I have nothing to do at home (apart from TRF :ton: ) and have no friends. :(

I don't belief you don't have friends you are a fantastic person (we all are) ;)

And about the boredness I have it too lately I am never happy anymore (with nothing) I don't want to do anything anymore I realy don't know wath is wrong :(

ZapTheLadyBird
09-05-10, 13:51
Yes... I believe it does :/

Just try and find a hobby that you can express your emotions through, like art or music...
And/or meet some people. Get out more :)

Liara
09-05-10, 14:17
I was actually studying about this for a test tomorrow. Apparently, boredom can lead to depression if you constantly deprive your mind of new interactions. Like, say, you're stuck inside an empty room and you can't go out for a few days. It's hard to keep the mind occupied even if you talk/sing to yourself.

The more you're used to new and interesting interactions on a daily basis (like playing good games or reading a good book) the harder it is to cope when they're taken away or if you get bored of them. And it's not just us. Animals are about the same. Keep a cat locked in the house and he'll end up sleeping all day in order to try and cope with boredom.

I say alleluia for TV and computers. Parents who say they're evil should do a little research first.