PDA

View Full Version : US Unemployment - not pretty

aktrekker
08-05-10, 22:54
There doesn't seem to be alot of hope for the US unemployed. At least not for the males.
It is estimated that 1 in 5 males age 25-54 is not working. It will take 5 years for the economy to recover. In the end, 1 in 6 males age 25-54 will still be unemployed.
6.5 million workers have been out of work for 6 months or more. And that only includes those who are still looking for work.
Based on history, the longer you are unemployed, the less likely it is that you will ever work again.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109471/meet-the-unemployable-man?mod=career-work

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 22:57
This is one of the many reasons that I'm thankful for my dual citizenship and why I'm researching it now. Things are looking bleak and the government doesn't seem to know what to do about it. I'm not yet out of the house, but once I am I'll be competing with everybody else out there who doesn't have a job while I complete my college education.

Lemmie
08-05-10, 23:42
^ Of course one of the problems for college and university students (particularly in the USA and UK) is that other than vocational degrees or subjects, the vast majority of those doing arts and humanities subjects would usually expect to be soaked up by the service and retail industries. Now that those areas are shrinking, there is even more competition than there ever was. :(

Alpharaider47
08-05-10, 23:47
^ Of course one of the problems for college and university students (particularly in the USA and UK) is that other than vocational degrees or subjects, the vast majority of those doing arts and humanities subjects would usually expect to be soaked up by the service and retail industries. Now that those areas are shrinking, there is even more competition than there ever was. :(

Yeah, thankfully I'm going into a field that offers a wide variety of work all over the world, so finding work shouldn't be too difficult. It's getting a basic job like working at a grocery store or something until I can get to that point that concerns me.

Rai
08-05-10, 23:53
There doesn't seem to be alot of hope for the US unemployed. At least not for the males.
It is estimated that 1 in 5 males age 25-54 is not working. It will take 5 years for the economy to recover. In the end, 1 in 6 males age 25-54 will still be unemployed.
6.5 million workers have been out of work for 6 months or more. And that only includes those who are still looking for work.
Based on history, the longer you are unemployed, the less likely it is that you will ever work again.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/109471/meet-the-unemployable-man?mod=career-work

Well that's just downright depressing, especially the last sentence. Although I'm a woman in the UK, I'm pretty sure some of those statistics could apply here too. I've been officially unemployed for over a year but out of work for even longer as I was looking after my son whilst looking for part-time work (unsuccessfully obviously). I so hope someone out there will give me a chance soon and I also hope the unemployment figures drop, here, in the US and anywhere really.