PDA

View Full Version : ↑ Above the Influence General Thread!

MattTR
09-05-10, 14:41
Are you drug and alcohol-free? This is surely the thread for you. :cool:

It's cool to not smoke and not drink, you need to live "above the influence", and stay healthy and smart. You can live your life better, be able to preform your daily tasks without any interruptions, and even age better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Mattxz/above.jpg

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/

Above the Influence is an advertising campaign in the United States by the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign that advocates against recreational drug use, focusing explicitly on cannabis use by American teenagers. The program's primary medium is television advertisements, but it also makes use of others such as online web banners and magazines.

So are you drug free? Want to support the campaign? Post away. ;)

I, Tomb Raider
09-05-10, 14:43
I support it. :jmp:
I am drug-free and I've never smoked. :D

Quasimodo
09-05-10, 14:44
I'm drug free, but I enjoy the occasional beer or glass of wine. I imagine it's easier to moderate alcohol use than the use of cigarettes and other substances. Heck, just watch an episode of Intervention and see if you still want to experiment after seeing what that stuff does to people! :eek:

MattTR
09-05-10, 14:44
Yay! Welcome aboard. :ton:

With all these Tobacco and Alcohol threads.. I just had to.. :whi:

Andyroo
09-05-10, 14:45
I support it too.

Drug, booze and smoke free.

Or I'll just say 'Crap-Free', because, it's all the same.

IceColdLaraCroft
09-05-10, 14:46
*smashes liquor bottle over your head*

BAR FIGHT!

MattTR
I'm drug free, but I enjoy the occasional beer or glass of wine. I imagine it's easier to moderate alcohol use than the use of cigarettes and other substances. Heck, just watch an episode of Intervention and see if you still want to experiment after seeing what that stuff does to people! :eek:

Once in a while is fine, I mean if you limit yourself that's all it takes. :)

One thing about alcohol is that it doesn't stay in your system like the effect of tobacco, weed, ect.

silviu_raider
I support it too!
No smoking, no drug using!
However, I agree with drinking a little from time to time.:p

TRULuverzz
09-05-10, 14:47
Im more than drug-free, I'm ANTI-DRUG, i would join the campaign in a heartbeat!
my sisters experienced drug problems and it had a bad impact on my family :(

Quasimodo
09-05-10, 14:47
Anyone remember ye olde D.A.R.E. campaign? :p
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4381/dareox.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/530/daren.gif

Aranara
09-05-10, 14:48
My Dad's trying to catch drug-dealers, so of course I don't support drugs :p

And smoking is bad, I have 2 girls in my class (yep, they're 14) who are smoking, and they are like:
"Do I smell?"
"Hell yeah, I can smell your stupidity from the the other part of the country."
"Oh shut it, it's awesome, you gotta try it."
"You really wanna get expelled. Stop smoking. You're not cool, you just look like frickin' wannabes."

Nice conversation I had on Friday with those girls :D

MattTR
09-05-10, 14:49
OMG, yes I remember D.A.R.E. I did that in elementary school.. and we also had G.R.E.A.T.

http://www.cityofottumwa.org/files/files/great_tealtext_0.jpg

It was for preventing gangs/school bullying.

igonge
09-05-10, 14:52
I don't smoke or take drugs and never have, however, I agree with drinking in moderation as I tend to do that at home.

TRULuverzz
09-05-10, 14:52
in the UK we have FRANK:

http://www.healthyeastleigh.org.uk/images/FRANK%20logo.jpg

Catracoth
09-05-10, 14:54
...you need to live "above the influence", and stay healthy and smart.

Says who?
:)

Quasimodo
09-05-10, 14:56
Says who?

Hippie.

HappyShannon
in the UK we have FRANK:

http://www.healthyeastleigh.org.uk/images/FRANK%20logo.jpg

That always makes me think of this...

http://www.teetshirts.com/images/uploads/talk-to-frank.jpg

Anyways, I'm above the influence I guess :p

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs :p
But I'm 13, I bet you didn't expect me to do this stuff anyway :vlol:

I, Tomb Raider
My Dad's trying to catch drug-dealers, so of course I don't support drugs :p

And smoking is bad, I have 2 girls in my class (yep, they're 14) who are smoking, and they are like:
"Do I smell?"
"Hell yeah, I can smell your stupidity from the the other part of the country."
"Oh shut it, it's awesome, you gotta try it."
"You really wanna get expelled. Stop smoking. You're not cool, you just look like frickin' wannabes."

Nice conversation I had on Friday with those girls :D
:hug:
Group of students go out side the school, and smoke like chimney. I can't see the beauty in it. Thank God, smoking in public places is forbidden here.

MattTR
Says who?

It doesn't say to stay healthy and and smart, it says and. I worded it so people can avoid that argument. :ton:

What does FRANK stand for? :eek:

lara c. fan
09-05-10, 14:58
What does FRANK stand for? :eek:

Nothing.

It's just a name.

Seriously!

TRULuverzz
09-05-10, 14:59
That always makes me think of this...

http://www.teetshirts.com/images/uploads/talk-to-frank.jpg

Anyways, I'm above the influence I guess :p

Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs :p
But I'm 13, I bet you didn't expect me to do this stuff anyway :vlol:

is that guy from Shameless? he looks a bit familiar

MattTR
09-05-10, 15:00
Nothing.

It's just a name.

Seriously!

Oh.. :vlol:

I could come up with something decent..

Free, Righteous, and No Kegs

:vlol:

HappyShannon
09-05-10, 15:00
is that guy from Shameless? he looks a bit familiar

Aye :D
Frank Gallagher <3

lara c. fan
09-05-10, 15:01
Oh.. :vlol:

I could come up with something decent..

Free, Righteous, and No Kegs

Also, I'm not exactly sure why alcohol in general is "below the influence". In moderation, it's fine :p

Although, I'm probably missing the point :pi:

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 15:03

Also, I'm not exactly sure why alcohol in general is "below the influence". In moderation, it's fine :p

Although, I'm probably missing the point :pi:

I would say that alcohol is an influencing drug. It effects brain function. I suppose caffiene would be included, but you get it in just about everything sweet these says, so it would be impossible to avoid.

Gladous
09-05-10, 15:03
I'm drugs and alcohol free! Why would you want to hurt yourself and everyone around you to do drugs? It's stupid.

OMG! I remember DARE like it was yesterday! I was best friends with the police officer that came to my class to talk about that stuff! :vlol:

lara c. fan
09-05-10, 15:04
I would say that alcohol is an influencing drug. It effects brain function. I suppose caffiene would be included, but you get it in just about everything sweet these says, so it would be impossible to avoid.

Hm, I guess so.
I've never done anything stupid or out of the norm when I've drunk alcohol, so I guess I got it wrong.
Again. :pi:

MattTR
09-05-10, 15:05

Well, I'd say in a whole you need to just drink alcohol in moderation. You can't drink and drive, and you can't drink underage.. that's the main thing.

And Caffeine? I'm not too sure, I suppose it could be a drug but that's not where the problem is at.

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 15:05
I don't really think you could call yourself above the influence if you drink alcohol. Then, you're just illegal-drug-free, and almost everyone is that.

Killercowz
09-05-10, 15:06
YES! LOL I'm wearing my D.A.R.E shirt to.

MattTR
09-05-10, 15:07
I don't really think you could call yourself above the influence if you drink alcohol. Then, you're just illegal-drug-free, and almost everyone is that.

I know, I don't drink alcohol personally but drinking in moderation is better than getting wasted every single time you step out the door.

Not drinking at all is your best bet, though.

lara c. fan
And Caffeine? I'm not too sure, I suppose it could be a drug but that's not where the problem is at.
Yeah, it would be counted as a drug, technically.

It looks like it's battle of the opinions then really, and we won't get far doing that :p

Encore
I'm not "alcohol free", although I don't like getting drunk.

I am totally opposed to heavy drugs, but tolerate marijuana, even though I don't smoke it myself. I also think certain 100% natural drugs are OK (for those who know how to properly use them).

I guess all of this means I couldn't "join" this group. :p

Legend of Lara
09-05-10, 15:08
I'm above the influence! :D
Never smoked, haven't had a drop of alcohol, and never used drugs. Yay me.

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 15:08
I know, I don't drink alcohol personally but drinking in moderation is better than getting wasted every single time you step out the door.

Absolutely. Drinking in moderation is a respectful lifestyle, but I wouldn't say it would qualify you to say you were 'Above the Influence', that's all.

Zebra
09-05-10, 15:09
Don't drink, don't smoke, don't take any drugs. Hell, I don't even drink coffee :p.

MattTR
09-05-10, 15:10
I'm above the influence! :D
Never smoked, haven't had a drop of alcohol, and never used drugs. Yay me.

Welcome. :hug: :D

Absolutely. Drinking in moderation is a respectful lifestyle, but I wouldn't say it would qualify you to say you were 'Above the Influence', that's all.

Yep, I'd say so. Just makes me think about the adults who founded this.. I wonder how "above the influence" they are.. :p but as long as they're supporting something good and moderating themselves. :whi:

the ancient
09-05-10, 15:33
Never smoked, did drugs, are was drunk

I am against it
But I don't care if you drink only 1 glas of beer

Catracoth
09-05-10, 16:18
It doesn't say to stay healthy and and smart, it says and. I worded it so people can avoid that argument. :ton:

I noticed, but that's not what my post was about. You're forgetting the argument that I pointed out - who says we have to stay above the influence? Who says we have to stay healthy and smart? Not to mention the fact that not all drugs destroy brain cells - I don't know what alcohol does in an excess, so I won't speak for it.

Lemmie
09-05-10, 16:22
I thought drinking in moderation was supposed to be healthier for you than not drinking at all?

Well, that's the story I'm sticking to. :pi:

tonyme
09-05-10, 16:25
I'm drug free and smoke free.;)

Reckless Lara
09-05-10, 17:37
No drugs, no drinks, no smoking. :)

remote91
09-05-10, 17:51
Lol at some of the attitudes in here..

MangelinaJolie
09-05-10, 18:04
Lol at some of the attitudes in here..

And as Mad Tony pointed out in I think the alcohol thread...

... and I don't like society's attitude towards people who don't drink.

You know there's something wrong when people abstain and get criticized for it.

remote91
09-05-10, 18:07
Doesn't mean some of you people need to have such a self righteous attitude towards it. The opening post pretty much states that people that refrain from drinking must have some kind of better quality life style.

ajrich17901
09-05-10, 18:08
Wow this forum is becoming so predictable anymore lmao. Always basing one thread off another in a so called cheery attitude. yee-ha

Johnnay
I only drink when I go out. I am no way a heavy drinker. I used to smoke a few times in my life, but not anymore and I'm free of Drugs Whatsoever:)

MangelinaJolie
@remote91; Try living with a recovering addict and then say that.

remote91
09-05-10, 18:10
Try living with a recovering addict and then say that.
Good for you, I'm living with an alcohoic.

You can't put everyone that drinks into the same boat.

AmericanAssassin
09-05-10, 18:10
I don't smoke or do drugs, but I could never deny myself delicious vodka. :p

ajrich17901
09-05-10, 18:11

Vodka is like a god :cln::D

MangelinaJolie
09-05-10, 18:12
Good for you, I'm living with an alcohoic.

You can't put everyone that drinks into the same boat.

And you're enabling, therefore you are just as bad. :p

remote91
09-05-10, 18:13
And you're enabling, therefore you are just as bad. :p
You don't know the first thing about my situation.

Mikky
09-05-10, 18:14
Well, I have never taken drugs or smoked! Yay!
But I have drinked before... :whi: It was New Year's Eve, other people were drinking, one thing led to another... Let's just say by the time it was morning, I was puking my guts out. :pi:

But I strongly advice young people NOT to drink! yet... :P

MangelinaJolie
09-05-10, 18:15
You don't know the first thing about my situation.

I know that you drink, and I know that you live with an alcoholic. I think that qualifies as "first thing." Don't post here about our opinions that you know nothing about, if you don't want mine about yours. :wve:

remote91
09-05-10, 18:19
I know that you drink, and I know that you live with an alcoholic. I think that qualifies as "first thing." Don't post here about our opinions that you know nothing about, if you don't want mine about yours. :wve:
No, no it really doesn't.

I wasn't the one throwing round words like 'enabler' now, was I? I was expressing my opinion on the way some people had established their views on the subject and how I thought it was somewhat distasteful.

And you can shove that belitting, waving smiley.

MangelinaJolie
09-05-10, 18:24
No, no it really doesn't.

I wasn't the one throwing round words like 'enabler' now, was I? I was expressing my opinion on the way some people had established their views on the subject and how I thought it was somewhat distasteful.

And you can shove that belitting, waving smiley.

If it doesn't, then why are you jumping into a thread to do the same thing backwards? Again, some of us are establishing our opinions as such because of our own situations. And if you're taking the word "enable" as an insult, then maybe you should reconsider some things. The person you live with is an alcoholic... you are drinking. Of course, I am assuming here that it is with the person, and I could be wrong for that - if so I apologize. But if I'm right, that's called enabling.

Also, how vulgar.

remote91
09-05-10, 18:31
If it doesn't, then why are you jumping into a thread to do the same thing backwards? Again, some of us are establishing our opinions as such because of our own situations. And if you're taking the word "enable" as an insult, then maybe you should reconsider some things. The person you live with is an alcoholic... you are drinking. Of course, I am assuming here that it is with the person, and I could be wrong for that - if so I apologize. But if I'm right, that's called enabling.

Also, how vulgar.
You're right - you were wrong. I don't drink with that person - I don't go anywhere NEAR them when I or they indulge in alcohol. The difference between me and an alcoholic is self control.

It's crystal clear we have differing views on the subject. Let's just leave it at that.

MangelinaJolie
09-05-10, 18:34
You're right - you were wrong. I don't drink with that person - I don't go anywhere NEAR them when I or they indulge in alcohol. The difference between me and an alcoholic is self control.

It's crystal clear we have differing views on the subject. Let's just leave it at that.

Fair enough, and again I apologize for making that assumption. :)

I would like to say (despite if I came across opposite) that I don't really care what anyone does in terms of this, so long as it isn't affecting my own family or myself.

Draconis
09-05-10, 18:36
I'm in!

Carbonek_0051
09-05-10, 18:37

Same. :p

irjudd
09-05-10, 21:10
What do I get for posting in this thread and saying I agree with it?

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 21:12
What do I get for posting in this thread and saying I agree with it?

A bong. We can fix that.

?

robm_2007
09-05-10, 21:16
i am tobacco, drug (except OTC cold medicine/aspirin and caffeine) and alcohol free.

SLAYER
09-05-10, 21:33
Above the Influence :tmb:

Johnnay
09-05-10, 21:35
I get the feeling that "Above the Influence" is one of MattTR's most favourite Words:tmb: Seems to use these important words quite often:)

xXhayleyroxXx
09-05-10, 21:39
i dont smoke or do drugs and im proud :tmb: my daddy brought me up well in that respect.

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 21:40
i dont smoke or do drugs and im proud :tmb: my daddy brought me up well in that respect.

You're drunk right now, aren't you? :(

xXhayleyroxXx
09-05-10, 21:42
You're drunk right now, aren't you? :(

why does everyone always think im drunk :p no not tonight :)

Minty Mouth
09-05-10, 21:44
why does everyone always think im drunk :p no not tonight :)

:yik: Wow. Congratulations :p

xXhayleyroxXx
09-05-10, 21:47
:yik: Wow. Congratulations :p

i dont drink as much as i used to :p

ECB
10-05-10, 01:42
Anyone remember ye olde D.A.R.E. campaign? :p
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4381/dareox.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/530/daren.gif

Ahh! DARE! I remember that :vlol:

Too bad it's not to effective on 60% of my school...

MattTR
10-05-10, 01:45
I get the feeling that "Above the Influence" is one of MattTR's most favourite Words:tmb: Seems to use these important words quite often:)

Uhh.. what gave you that idea? :confused:

:p

Catracoth
10-05-10, 01:46
To be fair, I've never once been under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I mean, I've smoked my share of weed a couple of times and did have a few drinks in my life, but never was I drunk or high. I don't think it's even appropriate to call it drug "abuse" considering I didn't even use the "drug" excessively.

What makes me laugh is that marijuana is illegal despite how it does no harm to you. Cigarettes can kill you, but they're legal. Go figure.

Alpharaider47
10-05-10, 01:46
^^ Haven't seen DARE for ages lol.

I'll support the movement :p

MattTR
10-05-10, 02:44
^ I wonder if it's still around? I guess I need to do some research. :p

Thanks for the support! :D :hug:

CerebralAssassin
10-05-10, 03:17
you say above the influence,I say straight-edge

yes,I'm straight-edge :)

Little-Lara
10-05-10, 03:57
Matt, this thread was a great thoughtful thing to do. :hug: It can give support to anyone who wants it or needs it and every amount helps.

A BIG THUMBS UP :tmb: to this thread.

..and yeah I'm alcihol and drugs free.

Uzi master
10-05-10, 18:24
I'm with ya,

Don't really get whats with all these other threads. I think I'm the only 13 year old I know that has never drank/smoke/done drugs:p.

larson n natla
10-05-10, 18:25
Never smoked and never drank.

Don't want to either it's yucky.

Rai
10-05-10, 18:48
I support this, definitely. I've never done drugs and never smoked, although I do drink occasionally. I used to drink more when I was younger though.

@cat: I believe there have been reports that marijuana can contribute to clinical depression and other mental illnesses, so, yes, it is harmful.

Chocola teapot
10-05-10, 19:40
Wooo! :cool:

I'm abouve the influence! :p

Cynic
10-05-10, 19:46
I'm mostly above the influence :D

I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs (Drugs are bad, you shouldn't do drugs, if you do them, you are bad, because drugs are bad, mmmkay,... - South Park reference)
But I drink maybe once or twice a year, but in very little doses. :D

Ps: Never been drunk.

Dina_Croft
10-05-10, 19:47
Hell Yeah I Support This:D

Encore
10-05-10, 22:39
@cat: I believe there have been reports that marijuana can contribute to clinical depression and other mental illnesses, so, yes, it is harmful.

I think the correlation is not big enough to justify it being illegal, specially considering there's probably more deaths related to drunk driving or lung cancer.

aurora89
10-05-10, 22:51
I think the correlation is not big enough to justify it being illegal, specially considering there's probably more deaths related to drunk driving or lung cancer.

Word. Same with electronic cigarettes. OH NOEZ we found half a percentage of e-cigs contain ONE of the toxins in real cigarettes!!! let's ban them!!! Ugh. It all comes down to money and politics. :(

I don't do any tobacco products or illegal substances, though I'm not opposed to marijuana and would probably try it if it were legal. I drink more than I should when my health problems or the resulting chemical anxiety/panic I have from them gets bad, because it helps more than the meds my doctors prescribe. I only drank illegally once, though, and I never got drunk before I was 21.

robm_2007
11-05-10, 00:10
Ahh! DARE! I remember that :vlol:

Too bad it's not to effective on 60% of my school...

i remeber DARE. i remeber also not graduating from DARE because i was way too nervous and embarrassed to do public speaking; we had to write an essay on how DARE has helped us to realize that drugs, and tobbacco, and alcohol are wrong, and that we pledged to not do them until we were old enough.

so i didnt graduate it. ironically, i am the most anti-drug, alcohol, and tobacco person that i know (with out being an over-zealous nut)