PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Has Gone Rogue

Catracoth
10-05-10, 23:57
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/facebook-rogue/

Well, this sucks.

Tombraiderx08
10-05-10, 23:59
Well, it doesnt bother me, lol. But for a whole lot of people who prefer like, everything being private then I guess that sucks for them :(

Paddy
11-05-10, 00:01
If I cant have any photos or stuff private then Ill just delete my facebook lol.

EmeraldFields
11-05-10, 00:02
I have everything on my profile set to "only friends", so I don't have to worry about some of the things mentioned in the article.

I also only have one application.

Alpharaider47
11-05-10, 00:04
Well I'm not too worried tbh, because I figure if people want info on me, they can just hack and get it anyways lol. But the thought that they're just openly doing this is cause for concern I think.

Paddy
11-05-10, 00:05
You would be a moron imo to include mobile number and street address on facebook.

Lara_Fan_33
11-05-10, 00:06
lol i couldnt be bothered to read the entire article, could someone tell me the most important facts please? *continues to be a couch potatoe* :vlol:

Alpharaider47
11-05-10, 00:07
You would be a moron imo to include mobile number and street address on facebook.

That I agree with. I don't put that info anywhere if I can avoid it lol.

Phlip
11-05-10, 00:07
I have everything on my profile set to "only friends", so I don't have to worry about some of the things mentioned in the article.

Same.

EmeraldFields
11-05-10, 00:08

Exactly. Important people who need to go to your house should know your address without looking on the internet. :p

It also puzzles me why people put pictures on Facebook of them doing illegal or stupid things. They're just asking to get in trouble!

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 00:10

or your job. who tf needs that?

TRfan23
11-05-10, 00:11
Request Deletion.

Paddy
11-05-10, 00:13
Exactly. Important people who need to go to your house should know your address without looking on the internet. :p

It also puzzles me why people put pictures on Facebook of them doing illegal or stupid things. They're just asking to get in trouble!
Probably on those illegal drugs :vlol:

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 00:13
I hate the "mentality" of facebook.

that if someone posts something on your wall they'll call/txt you and ask if you saw it like it's the most important thing ever, but if you post something to their wall it's "yea i'll look at it later"

WHAT-ever

SkyPuppy
11-05-10, 00:14
uh yeah, glad i never made a facebook. i'll just stick to Twitter, thank you very much. :p

Legend 4ever
11-05-10, 00:14
No one can see anything I have. I've also been thinking about making my profile invisible to everyone except the people who are already my friends, so that only I can add people and that others can't find me on Facebook or even realize I exist unless I add them.

TRfan23
11-05-10, 00:15
Request Deletion.

LightningRider
11-05-10, 00:20
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=trfan23&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=trfan23&gs_rfai=&fp=3aa7b5ddeb415f6e

I wish I removed all info about myself on bebo before closing my account :(

Sweet Jesus my Birthdate is there & where I was born!

People can see that to :p

You can lock your entire profile, who you follow, and people can only see them if you accept them following you.

trlestew
11-05-10, 00:20
Everything you say on this forum is open to the world ;)
Anyways it's not like you walk out your house one day, and everyone around you is "Liek ZOMG there he/she is, that's the one who cheated on that girl/boy!"

So tbh, providing it doesn't harm you literally then you should be fine. Most people tend to not care when they see other people's stuff, info etc...

It's true, just google your username and BOOM!

Lists every message on every forum from that username O_O

http://i41.************/ru1jj9.png

And the info (although would be silly to use in your context :p ) is asking for identitity theft if you post that much info on your FB for the public to see. (but then again, who will give out that much info anyway? ;) )
Just to make safe, I set all options to [Just Friends]

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 00:21
uh yeah, glad i never made a facebook. i'll just stick to Twitter, thank you very much. :p

People can see that to :p

Even more so than facebook

LightningRider
11-05-10, 00:25
Oh my Gosh, I just searched my username, and my tumblr is second lol!

Alpharaider47
11-05-10, 01:09

http://i41.************/ru1jj9.png

And the info (although would be silly to use in your context :p ) is asking for identitity theft if you post that much info on your FB for the public to see. (but then again, who will give out that much info anyway? ;) )
Just to make safe, I set all options to [Just Friends]

Try Googling your actual name lol. Now what's funny is that my actual first name is something of like a family tradition, so then comes the task of sorting out which one I am :p
What's interesting is that when I did a Google of one of my first internet aliases I couldn't find anything except for one mention on some hole in the wall site. Somehow these people got a hold of a private chat room conversation I had with some fellow members of a video game mod team :vlol:
It's stupid to post things that you don't want known online in the first place, even if you have everything marked "friends only" or w/e, because it's really not that hard to hack it or find someone to hack it for you, and then BAM your life can be ruined.

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 01:10
:vlol:

http://www.sarahpalingoingrogue.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/going-rogue.jpg

Catracoth
11-05-10, 01:23

Half my friends do it. I don't get it at all.

Gladous
11-05-10, 01:25
What makes me laugh is that I have a friend who talks about trash talking guys on her statuses and then puts her phone number at the end of it. Does she even know that everything she puts, people can read publicly? :p

AmericanAssassin
11-05-10, 01:25

I have my cell phone number. That resulted in a freaky stalker, but I never took it down. :p

Catracoth
11-05-10, 01:27
I have my cell phone number. That resulted in a freaky stalker, but I never took it down. :p

That'll be the day I post my cell phone number. :vlol:

MangelinaJolie
11-05-10, 01:32
Half of the information I have on my Facebook is bull anyway. :p

Lara_Fan_33
11-05-10, 01:43
I just googled Lara_Fan_33 and yeah your right every little bit of info EVER about me is there :vlol:
look at this! something i said to kier was added to another websight on the front page :confused:
http://larasbackpack.blogspot.com/2010/04/trailer-de-lcgol-nas-proximas-semanas.html
i think its saying that i asked Kier for info and he confirmed the trailer?

Phlip
11-05-10, 02:12

I just had a look, and you also have your frigging home address on it! D:

AmericanAssassin
11-05-10, 02:14
I just had a look, and you also have your frigging home address on it! D:

I didn't even know that. Interesting. Haha. :p

WSOwen02
11-05-10, 02:25
Meh, I need to get rid of Facebook anyway. I use it to keep up with people but all it has shown me is how truly narcissistic people are.

Phlip
11-05-10, 02:31
tbh, I want a new social networking site to come along because I can't be arsed to make one. XD I'd like it to have all the intended features facebook has, which work and extras like themes.

Ward Dragon
11-05-10, 02:31

I also only have one application.

The article mentioned that if one of your friends uses an application (like a quiz) that gives the application-maker the right to see all of the personal information of everyone that person is friends with. Facebook is selling your info whether you gave them permission or not.

I just mentioned this to my brother and he said it explained a lot. He freaked out the other day because Pandora sent him a personal e-mail using his Facebook picture and he had no idea how they got it. Makes me glad I disabled my Facebook several years ago XD

EmeraldFields
11-05-10, 02:33
The article mentioned that if one of your friends uses an application (like a quiz) that gives the application-maker the right to see all of the personal information of everyone that person is friends with. Facebook is selling your info whether you gave them permission or not.

I just mentioned this to my brother and he said it explained a lot. He freaked out the other day because Pandora sent him a personal e-mail using his Facebook picture and he had no idea how they got it. Makes me glad I disabled my Facebook several years ago XD

Oh! I guess I read it wrong! Well... that just sucks!

MattTR
11-05-10, 02:41
I heard this a long, long, looong time ago as well.. nothing new. :rolleyes:

Every single peice of information we post online is for everyone else to see.. unless it's on a secure site, which Facebook surely isn't.

Paddy
11-05-10, 02:42
Im sick of facebook anyway, the changes are **** lol.
Im deleting mine as I typed.

MattTR
11-05-10, 02:44
^ You mean.. deactivating! :eek:

Johnnay
11-05-10, 02:48
Im sick of facebook anyway, the changes are **** lol.
Im deleting mine as I typed.

you cant delete your account

Paddy
11-05-10, 02:50
^ You mean.. deactivating! :eek:
Same thing really. Have no plan on using it anymore.

MattTR
11-05-10, 03:05
Same thing really. Have no plan on using it anymore.

Oh yes then, it's the same, kind of. :p

So that's maybe why you can't delete it, they still want to "hold" your information, hmm.. interesting. :pi:

Paddy
11-05-10, 03:06
Oh yes then, it's the same, kind of. :p

So that's maybe why you can't delete it, they still want to "hold" your information, hmm.. interesting. :pi:
Just as well I wasnt foolish enough to add phone number and address to my info :p
Im gonna stick to using Myspace :D

CerebralAssassin
11-05-10, 04:06
oh so that's why one of my friends magically disappeared...:p

I say keep it though,you might regret it later;)

CerebralAssassin
11-05-10, 04:10
what really concerns me about FB is that I heard that they're gonna start asking for money!if that happens well...let's just say that I won't be using it anymore:p

Paddy
11-05-10, 04:12
oh so that's why one of my friends magically disappeared...:p

I say keep it though,you might regret it later;)

what really concerns me about FB is that I heard that they're gonna start asking for money!if that happens well...let's just say that I won't be using it anymore:p
Lol I wont be regretting it :p especially if they ask for money.

Alpharaider47
11-05-10, 04:12

Yeah, shouldn't they be giving *us* money if they're selling our info? lol luckily for me I've got outside contact (msn, xbox live, phone numbers) for nearly everybody I know on Facebook, and the vast majority of them are old friends from school.

TheBloodRed
11-05-10, 04:18
But wait, I thought Sarah Palin already had a Facebook!! :ton:

CerebralAssassin
11-05-10, 04:21
Just as well I wasnt foolish enough to add phone number and address to my info :p
Im gonna stick to using Myspace :D

at least don't get rid of your msn too:pi:

Paddy
11-05-10, 04:22
at least don't get rid of your msn too:pi:
Dont plan on doing that lol.

Mrs_Bean
11-05-10, 04:58
I don't even have my real city in the information.

There's this dumb girl in our class that seems to know a bit about computers and internet. However, she has in the information bar her complete address, phone number, just everything and she set it on public.

I told her, that if I'd be a random guy going across her page and saw the whole address and everything there, I'd go and set her house on fire, so she realizes, how stupid she is.

Simochka
11-05-10, 09:27
I have pictures, mobile number, home city and stuffs on facebook and it is set so everyone can see it. I don't really care. I live in a small city with only like 80 000 people. Everyone knows everyone anyway xD

Paddy
11-05-10, 09:34
Its plain stupidity seriously :p

Mr.Burns
11-05-10, 09:43
Facebook's got a few class action lawsuits against them. Here's one about the privacy (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9157758/Facebook_hit_with_class_action_over_privacy_change s)issue.

Paddy
11-05-10, 09:51
I prefer Twitter now and Myspace. Twitter I can get updates from my favourite UFC fighters :D

Your_Envy*
11-05-10, 10:00
I don't even have my real city in the information.

Same. http://www.shrani.si/f/15/5n/39BUi7ND/tehe.png

I don't even share my email adress with my friends, it's hidden. And I have everything set on "Only friends", except "things I like" and friends.

If they will change settings so everybody will see my information, then goodbye Facebook! :tea:

tranniversary119
11-05-10, 11:51
I changed all my "real" information a while ago. Actually, I took out all the profile information: Hobbies, About Me, Music, etc. And I have no bad pictures, so it doesn't really affect me.

Dennis's Mom
11-05-10, 12:14

That's not from Facebook though. You could have done that five years ago and gotten the same list.

But wait, I thought Sarah Palin already had a Facebook!! :ton:

She does. I think he referring to the fact "going rogue" is considered a bad thing, but she thinks it's a good thing. *shrugs*

Capt. Murphy
11-05-10, 12:34
She does. I think he referring to the fact "going rogue" is considered a bad thing, but she thinks it's a good thing. *shrugs*

Ha-ha. She's such a Maverick.

xXhayleyroxXx
11-05-10, 12:38
Oh yeah I heard about this on the radio -- to be honest I dont think many things are private now. And Im gonna have to change some settings and stop accepting everyone who adds me (yeah im too nice).