PDA

View Full Version : Serious question

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 17:37
Why is it that it's completely legal for a Stromtrooper to be seen in public completely covered, but it's illegal for a muslim woman to wear the veil she chooses to wear?

http://i40.************/eamwzn.jpg

vs.

http://i40.************/fogkr7.jpg

Aranara
11-05-10, 17:39
Well, muslim women follow some rules of their religion, Stormtroopers - I rather doubt it :)

the ancient
11-05-10, 17:41
The stormtrooper must have done this to make everyone watch him :)

Wearing a veil isn't ilegal in my country
But some muslims are forced to wear it If you wonna wear that is see no problem but if you are forced by your husband are someone it is better to forbid it

Cochrane
11-05-10, 17:46
Havenít you watched the movies? Stormtroopers donít blow up people, they get blown up. They are harmless.

Oh wait, you meant seriously. First of all, I have to ask what law in particular you are referring to. The one I know best would be the recent one in Belgium, and as far as I understand it, being a stormtrooper there ought to be illegal as well. Of course, stormtroopers also look kind of silly, so police officers are probably more willing to let this slide in the right circumstances.

However, it really highlights a difficulty of such laws: You cannot write them in ways to discriminate against a particular religion, but they absolutely are meant to discriminate against a particular way of excercising a particular religion. The language used to do this will always capture some folks who really are harmless.

Personally, I am not convinced that such bans are truly a great idea. Government interference on what clothes I can wear does not sound like a good thing to me, and I seriously doubt that such a ban can do much to really help opressed women.

ShadyCroft
11-05-10, 17:47
Interesting question, Marc. I don't think the guy wears the trooper outfit most of the time, most Muslim women do when they leave the house.

*richietrent*
11-05-10, 17:47
How often is it that we see Stromtroopers on our streets?!

And yes it is religion but, most of them don't even wana wear them themselves, their parents make them. Also, its down to the country you live in.

knightgames
11-05-10, 17:49
I smell troll bait.

Mad Tony
11-05-10, 17:51
Why is it you haven't provided evidence? I haven't heard anything about people being allowed to wear Stormtrooper outfits in public, which isn't surprising considering how it's something you don't normally see.

Like knightgames, I smell a troll.

]{eith
11-05-10, 17:52
I smell troll bait.

http://i41.************/2h2jwjn.jpg#

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-05-10, 17:54
Oh wait, it's illegal in some places TO wear the veil... I think the veils should be illegal everywhere.

Mikky
11-05-10, 17:58
That's actually a very good point. Isn't there some sort of bill that gives you the right to wear anything?

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 18:02
France and Belgium have passed laws banning the Burqa & Niqab.

The argument for or against in those countries is the influx of muslims into their countries and it is in part a religious decision. However there's an underlying mistrust that if someone is covered head to toe without being able to see who they are they could be a terrorist.

But stromtroopers are covered head to toe and they aren't seen as a threat.

My argument is that if laws are going to be passed which forbid someone from covering themselves head to toe then it needs to apply to ALL outfits. Not just Muslim women.

This photo made me consider this discussion.

http://crow202.org/2009/unemployment-storm-trooper.jpg

Because if someone saw a stormtrooper on a subway/metro line they wouldn't think twice, but if someone saw a Muslim woman veiled then they would think "terrorist"

Encore
11-05-10, 18:23
Sooner or later there's gonna be a terrorist dressed as a Star Wars character and then they'll be banned and Star Wars will be considered evil and anti-democratic.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-05-10, 18:25
Sooner or later there's gonna be a terrorist dressed as a Star Wars character and then they'll be banned and Star Wars will be considered evil and anti-democratic.

To be honest, if they started forcing their women to dress as storm troopers it'd be no less absurd than the Burka.

Laralissa
11-05-10, 18:27
Because if someone saw a stormtrooper on a subway/metro line they wouldn't think twice"

Weirdo.

Cochrane
11-05-10, 18:29
Because if someone saw a stormtrooper on a subway/metro line they wouldn't think twice

Seriously? I would.

Encore
11-05-10, 18:31
I would ask to have my picture taken with him. :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-05-10, 18:32

I'd look around for droids...

dizzydoil
11-05-10, 18:32

Or her! :smk:

:p

Encore
11-05-10, 18:35
Or her! :smk:

:p

Haven't you seen Episode II?? All stormtroopers are male. :cool:

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 18:37
But isn't it just as ridiculous to be "fearful" of a veiled woman as it is to be fearful of a star wars fan?

larafan25
11-05-10, 18:37
^Yes.

Why is it you haven't provided evidence? I haven't heard anything about people being allowed to wear Stormtrooper outfits in public, which isn't surprising considering how it's something you don't normally see.

Like knightgames, I smell a troll.

The stormtrooper is talking to a policeman, things seem pretty fine in the image.

Anywho, why was there a law imposed about women wearing these vale things? (excuse my total ignorance of the subject). :pi:

larson n natla
11-05-10, 18:38
It isn't illegal in the UK as of yet, only in certain occupation were it is rightly so.

Being in public communicating is difficult when all I can see is your eyes I know your husband might not want me to see you but seriously I hate communication without body language.

But it's not a choice really I suppose some people are made to wear them.

Aranara
11-05-10, 18:38
Haven't you seen Episode II?? All stormtroopers are male. :cool:

Because they were cloned :p
IRL people are not cloned...are they?

And here you are free to wear anything :) No laws...I think that's because we never had a terrorist threat here..

Mad Tony
11-05-10, 18:41
The stormtrooper is talking to a policeman, things seem pretty fine in the image.We can't assume anything until we know the story behind the picture.

@IceColdLaraCroft: There is obviously an anti-Muslim agenda. It's Nazi Germany all over again... :rolleyes:

Sir Croft
11-05-10, 18:43
Serious question?

larafan25
11-05-10, 18:46
Because they were cloned :p
IRL people are not cloned...are they?

And here you are free to wear anything :) No laws...I think that's because we never had a terrorist threat here..

Terrorist threats tend to have a global effect.

I don't think this bill applies here in Canada, at least not for the religion reason, as this place tends to be a mosaic compared to a melting pot.

However I am sure there are people who have these ideas that anyone who is muslim is a terrorist.

I guess the idea of the thread is to set aside any other reasons aside from some sort of phobia or prejeduce and compare the fear to something of the same significance.

IceColdLaraCroft
11-05-10, 18:50
Anywho, why was there a law imposed about women wearing these veil things? (excuse my total ignorance of the subject). :pi:

In France they said it goes against French values, but the REAL reason is that there is a growing minority in Europe of Muslims and "natives" are feeling threatened. So far France and Belgium are the only two to pass laws, but there have been isolated incidents in the US with police.

Governments argue that you can't see a woman's face and that you should be able to, but Muslim women argue that not everyone is forced to wear the veil and it's their choice. With the laws they aren't given a choice.

In a way telling women they can't wear the veil is just as bad as forcing a woman to wear one if they dont want to.

Mad Tony
11-05-10, 18:51
In France they said it goes against French values, but the REAL reason is that there is a growing minority in Europe of Muslims and "natives" are feeling threatened. So far France and Belgium are the only two to pass laws, but there have been isolated incidents in the US with police.Or perhaps there are security concerns? You can't just state what you call "real" reasons without being able to see into the minds of the people who implemented this law.

Cochrane
11-05-10, 18:54
But isn't it just as ridiculous to be "fearful" of a veiled woman as it is to be fearful of a star wars fan?

With a few possible exceptions, I think it is safe to say that a Star Wars in a Storm Trooper uniform is not someone serious about a cause, but rather just out to have some fun.

Alpharaider47
11-05-10, 19:07
I think it comes down to culture. The laws and religion are most likely going to follow the culture, so that's likely the source of the issue, if it's even an issue at all.

ggctuk
11-05-10, 19:09
Aww, if it's a stormtrooper, you got nothing to worry about - they always miss!

aktrekker
11-05-10, 20:32
Serious question my ass! This is definitely trolling. Therefore spam.
If you want to discuss the laws concerning veils, you can do so. But not like this.

Edit: OK, just so everyone knows, there is another thread about this topic. You can continue there.
France moves to ban the Burka (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=163924)