PDA

View Full Version : Could I turn my fansite work into a career later on?

~*~Chloe~*~
12-05-10, 09:32
So I have my own fansite (wont post the link, put its on the first page of google <3) and wondered if I could maybe make money out of fansites in the future somehow...

If you wanna see the site PM me :)

Mikky
12-05-10, 09:34
Oooh, I wanna see! :cln: Could you PM, please? :D

Btw, unless you're selling stuff on your site, you can't make money out of it. ;)

Ikas90
12-05-10, 09:38
I believe you can, and that some people make a living out of it. Everytime someone views their webpage, they are profiting.

I've heard of SBI, but I've never tried it myself. Perhaps you could look into it.

http://buildit.sitesell.com/

~*~Chloe~*~
12-05-10, 09:38
Not nessasarily from MY fansite, but something linking in with that. Because I dont want to be an ordinary web designer and create websites for boring companies.

And I sent you a PM :P

Cochrane
12-05-10, 09:51
Id be very surprised, to be entirely honest. Look at the largest fan sites for any topic and count how many of them do not take donations.

Yes, you can make money with page views and the like, but the first thing you have to do is provide value to your visitors. A fan site has a lot of trouble there, because by definition, you wont have much original content maybe an exclusive or two, but separating from all the others will be difficult.

I guess if you are into that, your best chance would be switching sides and join the developers, studios or whatever, making and managing community websites for them.

Mikky
12-05-10, 09:59
You can get money with views? How does that work? :confused:

jamieoliver22
12-05-10, 10:41
Not nessasarily from MY fansite, but something linking in with that. Because I dont want to be an ordinary web designer and create websites for boring companies.

But 'boring companies' are the ones that will pay you. Making fansites will get you no revenue back, and like Cochrane said, if it isn't original no one would be interested money wise anyway. You would only be able to get money back through advertising, I doubt people would pay you to create fansites (surely the point is that a fan enjoys making it?).

You can get money with views? How does that work? :confused:

You don't. You'd get revenue from advertising on the webpages or from donations.

tonyme
12-05-10, 10:59
I have a fansite too and it's quite popular and so I get advertising deals. Someone contacts me to put an ad for his website but, in exchange, this person puts an ad of my site on his. No money whatsoever.

I also got that kind of ad thing with Jango.com. They contacted me saying they'd like to put the link of my site on the artist in question's page on Jango, but in exchange, I'll have to post a Jango player thing on my page, and I did that.;)

almayah
12-05-10, 12:49

And I sent you a PM :P

I know that on blogspot if someone visits your site you get money
Or something like that :rolleyes: