PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel about this?

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 22:19
Discussion in another area of the forum has reignited the idea of an "Entertainment Section" (or sub-section similar to the Guardian of Light forum) that would contain threads about films, television shows and music.

Many members have been vocal about their distaste of the 'General' threads because they feel that these threads are posted in while other, more intellectual threads are being constantly pushed down so members can simply update when an artist is wearing a new colour of bra.

The "Entertainment Section" would alleviate this problem and help threads that would otherwise get pushed back. I'd like to get opinions on this idea.

And no Dingaling didn't help me with the opening post.

Catracoth
13-05-10, 22:20
I'm all for the idea; allow General Chat to be cleaned up :tmb:.

HappyShannon
13-05-10, 22:21
I like the idea, although then general chat would end up pretty quiet :p

Mad Tony
What an excellent idea! It's like you read my mind.

Encore
A sub-forum sounds cool (and preferable to a new section altogether).

Alpharaider47
13-05-10, 22:22
Organization ftw lol. I support this!
If it gets made I call making the Castle thread:pi:

Agent 47
13-05-10, 22:24
Forums are not a democracy..but i support this idea 100% :D

]{eith
13-05-10, 22:25
I'm all for it.

Tony9595
That's something I'll certainly appreciate :)

MiCkiZ88
I like the idea. I just don't know if I'd like a sub forum in gen chat or a completely new section. Section seems cleaner and easier on the eyes than a random box above gen chat.

jackali
13-05-10, 22:26
I support this idea.
And a Forum Games section would be amazing too. ;)

Dingaling
13-05-10, 22:26
I like this idea :tmb:. It's cropped up often in the forum and it's true that many members have moaned about threads taking up valuable General Chat space while threads to do with something they deem important aren't getting attention.

It'd also mean that members may be more willing to create new threads. I know I tend to not make threads to do with films or artists or programmes I like because either they may not be popular enough to sustain a long enough life within general chat or they'll get pushed back rather quickly.

So yeah, add me to the list of supporters to the "Entertainment" section or subsection.

And no, I didn't help you write that post at all :pi:.

EDIT: And a Forum Games section would be amazing too. ;)

I'll go with that one too :tmb:.

kthnxbai
13-05-10, 22:27
Or we could have a more serious section within general chat... because lets face it, gc gets filled with no so serious threads...

So have a "water-cooler" section might work

Though I defo agree with the separation thing... gc is a bit hectic

anniversarytr11
13-05-10, 22:27
i guess so

Love2Raid
13-05-10, 22:31
Yes please. Britney GTFO. :ohn:

lol

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 22:31
Or we could have a more serious section within general chat... because lets face it, gc gets filled with no so serious threads...

That's the point of this idea. We make a section for music, TV, and films, which will leave room for everything else to be able to be discussed. So no one has to worry about the serious discussions sinking because of these said threads.

Tony9595
13-05-10, 22:32

lol

:vlol:

It's about time!

]{eith
13-05-10, 22:33
I support this idea.

Yes! :tmb:

Joely-Moley
13-05-10, 22:36
Sounds like a good idea, I'd be for it.

Quasimodo
13-05-10, 22:45
Nice idea, but it's been brought up so many times before (to no effect) that I don't believe it'll ever happen.

Rai
13-05-10, 22:45
Sure, why not. :tmb:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
13-05-10, 22:52
Phenominal idea! It'll be nice to have 25,000 posts per day about Lady Gaga & Mizz Spears going on elsewhere.

spikejones
13-05-10, 22:58
its been discussed before. but I'm all for it now just as I was then.

Quasimodo
13-05-10, 22:59
its been discussed before. but I'm all for it now just as I was then.

:whi:
Nice idea, but it's been brought up so many times before (to no effect) that I don't believe it'll ever happen.

SkyPuppy
13-05-10, 23:00
loving this idea :tmb:

spikejones
13-05-10, 23:00
oh sorry... didnt know I was supposed to bring something new to the table on an old issue :p

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 23:05
I was told by the mods to bring it up.

EmeraldFields
13-05-10, 23:10
Always have supported this. :tmb:

Hopefully, some action gets taken!

egypt_gypsie
13-05-10, 23:11
Yes.

da tomb raider!
13-05-10, 23:20
I don't see why not.

laralover_07
13-05-10, 23:31
Not too keen on the idea. A sub-forum to get rid of artist discussion and appreciation threads so that "more relevant discussion" was more accessable would take the General out of General Chat. It's general for a reason, so anyone can discuss what they want to. GaGa and Britney discussion threads are just as valid as polical discussion threads, and neither should be hidden in a sub-forum because other members don't care for them. If you hate that threads like that take up page 1 of General Chat, go to page two or subscribe to the threads you find interesting and you won't need to go hunting for it.

Although if the Community Forums section were to be more divided so there was an Entertainment section, a Games section, a World Affairs section, a Life in General section, etc, aswell as our current Videogame and Congratulatory sections; I could see that working.

Legends
13-05-10, 23:34
Yes, I like it. It would be much cleaner.

Phlip
13-05-10, 23:36
Definitely. :)

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 23:37
A sub-forum to get rid of artist discussion and appreciation threads so that "more relevant discussion" was more accessable would take the General out of General Chat. It's general for a reason, so anyone can discuss what they want to. GaGa and Britney discussion threads are just as valid as polical discussion threads, and neither should be hidden in a sub-forum because other members don't care for them.

That's not the point of the idea, I'm not suggesting we get rid of anything, if you haven't noticed I post in those threads you brought up. I am suggesting we give said threads their own area to breath without animosity. They wouldn't be hidden, just given their own area.

It wouldn't be just for the GaGa & Britney threads, but for threads for any discussion about the entertainment industry like films and TV shows. I think it would really help with this whole situation.

I know some people are afraid of making threads and annoying people. I know I am.

TRhalloween
13-05-10, 23:37
I was told by the mods to bring it up.

Well there you go. Haha :P

EmeraldFields
13-05-10, 23:39
That's not the point of the idea, I'm not suggesting we get rid of anything, if you haven't noticed I post in those threads you brought up. I am suggesting we give said threads their own area to breath without animosity. They wouldn't be hidden, just given their own idea.

It wouldn't be just for the GaGa & Britney threads, but for threads for any discussion about the entertainment industry like films and TV shows. I think it would really help with this whole situation.

I know some people are afraid of making threads and annoying people. I know I am.

Exactly, not only would it allow for a more diverse General Chat, but also a more diverse entertainment discussion where more threads could be dedicated to artists without annoying the rest of the forum! :D

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 23:40
Exactly, not only would it allow for a more diverse General Chat, but also a more diverse entertainment discussion where more threads could be dedicated to artists without annoying the rest of the forum! :D

Exactly. :tmb:

Jo269976
13-05-10, 23:41
I'd rather a Forum Games section first, at least the 'General' threads have some sort of discussion going on in them.

trXD
13-05-10, 23:42
Definitely, but this idea has been suggested a couple of times before, for some reason the forum bosses just aren't keen on the idea =/

I honestly cant see why.

Quasimodo
13-05-10, 23:43
That's not the point of the idea, I'm not suggesting we get rid of anything, if you haven't noticed I post in those threads you brought up. I am suggesting we give said threads their own area to breath without animosity. They wouldn't be hidden, just given their own idea.

Ah heck. Wouldn't worry about that too much - you're always ****ing someone off on TRF :p

I think it'd be less work to try to move the serious threads to their own section than to try to keep entertainment separate from the main section of general chat, if that makes any sense.

Encore
13-05-10, 23:44
I think that if a separate section is built for "Serious business" discussions, it will be deader than the Lost Artifact sub-forum... And that's saying something. :p

EmeraldFields
13-05-10, 23:45
Ah heck. Wouldn't worry about that too much - you're always ****ing someone off on TRF :p

I think it'd be less work to try to move the serious threads to their own section than to try to keep entertainment separate from the main section of general chat, if that makes any sense.

I can see where you're going, but I think that a strictly "serious" discussion sub-forum wouldn't get as much traffic than if we had a general section without the entertainment. If that makes any sense. :p

EDIT: What Encore said! :D

Quasimodo
13-05-10, 23:48
I think that if a separate section is built for "Serious business" discussions, it will be deader than the Last Artifact sub-forum... And that's saying something. :p

Probably so. I'm gonna get flamed for this, but maybe the majority here aren't really all that interested in serious discussion :p

On the other hand, even if you got fewer replies, you wouldn't have so many silly replies because those kinds of posters wouldn't go to that section except on accident. And yet you wouldn't have the problem with MGC where someone younger with something worthwhile to say couldn't contribute.

Lara's home
13-05-10, 23:49
I'm up for it.

ThatNorskChick
13-05-10, 23:50
I'm all for the idea. It does seem like there's an excess of these types of threads, might as well throw them all into a separate bag.

laralover_07
13-05-10, 23:50

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I just think that if different types of threads were to be split up so they had they're own room to breath, then creating whole new forums such as World News, Entertainment, would be the way to go. Sub-forums on any message board I visit are always used for less significant topics, topics that don't need their own parent forum, and which do not fit with other topics in its current section. Its the belief I've picked up from being on forums and message boards and I think that that's totally not what we should be suggesting on a community forum.

I only used GaGa and Britney as examples, it could be any topic which would fall under the entertainment category. If members want an entertainment sub-section to keep it seperate and free from more serious threads, couldn't members who prefer such threads, like myself, ask for a sub-section where we can keep topics on current affairs?

Like I say, General Chat is General for a reason, it can be used to discuss anything. From Britney Spears' bra colour to who will be running the UK for the next four years. It might just be this view on sub-forums I've picked up from other boards but they're all valid and equal, and deserve to be where they are now, unless they were to be drastically sorted by creating new forums for each form of discussion.

Encore
13-05-10, 23:51
Probably so. I'm gonna get flamed for this, but maybe the majority here aren't really all that interested in serious discussion :p

On the other hand, even if you got fewer replies, you wouldn't have so many silly replies because those kinds of posters wouldn't go to that section except on accident. And yet you wouldn't have the problem with MGC where someone younger with something worthwhile to say couldn't contribute.

Well, I think the bottomline is that it's easier to make a specific entertainment section because it's a specific theme as it is. What would we call that other sub-forum? The "Serious Chat" section? Sounds kinda silly... Also because in Nate's concept, the General Chat would remain not just for serious subjects, but for everything else outside the entertainment theme.

Quasimodo
13-05-10, 23:53
Well, I think the bottomline is that it's easier to make a specific entertainment section because it's a specific theme as it is. What would we call that other sub-forum? The "Serious Chat" section? Sounds kinda silly... Also because in Nate's concept, the General Chat would remain not just for serious subjects, but for everything else outside the entertainment theme.

What else is there besides the entertainment and serious threads?:confused:

EmeraldFields
13-05-10, 23:53
If we get an entertainment section, I just might create a 'General Cher Thread'. http://i39.************/2mpwvmf.jpg

peeves
13-05-10, 23:58
That would be a great idea so this way the general chat forum wouldn't get clogged and messy.

Carbonek_0051
13-05-10, 23:59
Like I say, General Chat is General for a reason, it can be used to discuss anything. From Britney Spears' bra colour to who will be running the UK for the next four years. It might just be this view on sub-forums I've picked up from other boards but they're all valid and equal, and deserve to be where they are now, unless they were to be drastically sorted by creating new forums for each form of discussion.

You seem to think I am saying they aren't equal and should be treated as though they aren't valid or equal. What I am suggesting is an area where people can share their entertainment interests. Because not everyone on TRF is really into the whole entertainment thing, and if they do want to talk about it they can head to the entertainment section and stay in GC for everything else.

I don't see a reason to be pessimistic about this idea, it's not like any bad would come from it.

tranniversary119
14-05-10, 00:01
I'm all for it, great idea :tmb:

EmeraldFields
14-05-10, 00:04
I wish we could get a mod's opinion on this... :whi:

laralover_07
14-05-10, 00:15
Why am I being labeled a pessimist because I'm not jumping on the bandwagon?

You asked how I would feel about an Entertainment sub-forum, as not all members are into Entertainment discussion. I said I wasn't too keen on the idea, as I didn't think it fair that Entertainment threads should be thrown into a sub-forum because a percentage of members "aren't into that".

I've stated my opinion, and you have told me yours. I'm not being pessimistic about it, I just view the situation differently from you (and apparently the rest of the forum :o).

If the staff want to form the sub-forum, I'm not going to kick up a stink over it. Lets agree to disagree. :)

Tombraiderx08
14-05-10, 02:25
With all these "general" threads coming out, i've been thinking the same thing. I'm all for it :)

Mikky
14-05-10, 04:23
Call me dumb or whatever, but I just don't get it. :o

Johnnay
14-05-10, 04:30
I support this idea.

this

lol

if it does happen
Lady Gaga GTFO too:D

Anyways i support it 100%.

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 04:57
I've been hoping this would happen for awhile now, I think Justin has a lot of thinking to do because the forums have been looking messy for a while with all the general threads popping up. But I'm all for it, britney and gaga gtfo! lol

aktrekker
14-05-10, 05:29
I wish we could get a mod's opinion on this... :whi:

I have actually presented this idea to the other mods. They seem to be in favor of it.
But we need a decision from Justin. Only he can create the forum.

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:21
Oh, I get it now! *slaps self*

No, sorry, I don't think that will be a good idea. If there was an entertainment section, imagine what would happen to the general section. It would be as dead as a cemetery. A big no no.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 06:23
There are plenty of other threads in general chat. They just tend to get buried.

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:26
There are plenty of other threads in general chat. They just tend to get buried.

The hole idea just makes me feel uneasy. Going back and forth between the general section and the entertaining section is not something I'm looking forward to. =/

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:29
The hole idea just makes me feel uneasy. Going back and forth between the general section and the entertaining section is not something I'm looking forward to. =/

aktrekker, would it be possible to simply add the entertainment section as a sub forum/category withing General Chat? I know you've got that 18 year old/mature section (I'm a few months away from being allowed access to that) Is that how you handle it?

Mikky, what's wrong with that? Don't you already do that if you decide to check out idk Underworld.

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:30
aktrekker, would it be possible to simply add the entertainment section as a sub forum/category withing General Chat? I now you've got that 18 year old/mature section (I'm a few months away from being allowed access to that) Is that how you handle it?

Mikky, what's wrong with that? Don't you already do that if you decide to check out idk Underworld.

That's completely different. It just is.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 06:31
It's possible.
I thought it would be better as a separate forum next to the Tomb Raider Movies because that one is all by itself and doesn't get much activity.
Poor lonely forum......
:p

Apathetic
14-05-10, 06:33
It's possible.
I thought it would be better as a separate forum next to the Tomb Raider Movies because that one is all by itself and doesn't get much activity.
Poor lonely forum......

I know, right?

aktrekker, would it be possible to simply add the entertainment section as a sub forum/category withing General Chat? I now you've got that 18 year old/mature section (I'm a few months away from being allowed access to that) Is that how you handle it?

I think only the admin or Super Mods can create forum sections.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:34
It's possible.
Poor lonely forum......

I can see how that would be more of an inconvenience, but it makes sense.

That's completely different. It just is.
I really don't see how it's so different. Just have two tabs open then and refresh em...

^^ fixed the spelling error in my previous post :p

Dark Lugia 2
14-05-10, 06:36
Very good idea, but hasnt it been brought up before and nothing was done about it? I know a mod told you to make this thread, but thought itd be a good mention.

Lol, I can see General Chat consisting of only news articles with angry replies about how evil humans are :D, since theres so many here XD They deserve their own section! :p (I joke)

But really, good idea. :tmb: I think a forum-games section would be a bit OTT though. Could chuck them in with the entertainment since they're there to... 'entertain' I guess o.0

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:37
I can see how that would be more of an inconvenience, but it makes sense.

I really don't see how it's so different. Just have two tabs open then and refresh em...

Yes. Yes. Yes. But what about the people don't have the option to open new tabs? Say someone who uses internet via their Nintendo Wii? I know a few people here who do this, including myself.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:40
Yes. Yes. Yes. But what about the people don't have the option to open new tabs? Say someone who uses internet via their Nintendo Wii? I know a few people here who do this, including myself.

Then to be direct, you'll have to suck it up lol. It's not like it's gonna be that bad and it will take you a few seconds longer, which allows for more posts and takes up more of your time when you're bored.

See, there are benefits!

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:45
Then to be direct, you'll have to suck it up lol. It's not like it's gonna be that bad and it will take you a few seconds longer, which allows for more posts and takes up more of your time when you're bored.

See, there are benefits!

What a ridiculous thing to say! :vlol:
Yes, I'm bored most of the time, but I'm not gonna change my mind because it takes a few seconds away from time that I'm bored.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:46
What a ridiculous thing to say! :vlol:
Yes, I'm bored most of the time, but I'm not gonna change my mind because it takes a few seconds away from time that I'm bored.

To be fair, I did warn you.

Gah now I've got all these ideas on how one might reorganize this site...

touchthesky
14-05-10, 09:22
Definately.

:)

scion05
14-05-10, 10:10
Absolutely positively.

irjudd
14-05-10, 10:20
I'm opposed.

MangelinaJolie
14-05-10, 12:02
I support the idea. :)

Paddy
14-05-10, 12:13
Good idea, no reason why there shouldnt be.

EmeraldFields
14-05-10, 12:14
I'm opposed.

Care to explain yourself? :mis:

:D

tonyme
14-05-10, 13:11
Oh, I totally agree!:tmb: There's an Entertainment sub-forum in another popular forum that I always post in with 2 sub-forums: 'Movies & TV' and 'Music';)

igonge
14-05-10, 13:12
I'm all for it.

RockSteady101
14-05-10, 13:36
Amazing idea :tmb:

moodydog
14-05-10, 14:00
yeh i like this idea, seporate the **** from stuff thats actually worth talking about :D

Quasimodo
14-05-10, 14:28

We're talking about two mouse clicks?

C'mon folks.

Capt. Murphy
14-05-10, 15:02
We're talking about two mouse clicks?

C'mon folks.

Yeah. Or leave both sections open in separate tabs and refresh or go back and forth between the 2.

Anything that makes the childishness go away - I'm for it.

Encore
14-05-10, 17:13
It's nothing that's never been done before. Most forums have a general chat section with various sub-forums for specific things. And, in fact, we already have a Videogame sub-forum - why not more?

I've followed the example from the Lost forums (http://lost-forum.com/), which, adapted to TRF, could work like this:

Section name: Off Topic

Sub-forums:

General Chat
Mature General Chat
Music
Movies and TV Shows
Videogames
Fan Art
Technical Support
Welcome Center

I did not add a specific section for Books because obviously they're not exactly a favorite subject here. :p

This is just an example, mind you, but it seems to me that most forums have things organized in similar ways.

Quasimodo
14-05-10, 18:39
^I like that arrangement.

If we're going to be making changes anyway, why not prune off the dead TR movies section while we're at it?

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 19:11
^I like that arrangement.

If we're going to be making changes anyway, why not prune off the dead TR movies section while we're at it?

Or move the TR movies segment into the entertainment subcategory.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 20:15
Post of Awesome.

See I like this. I had the understanding that we would have General Chat as it is with a child sub-forum inside for entertainment, and I was like 'BUUUUUUNGGHHHHHHH no'. But I think what everyone else meant by Sub-Forum was what we have now as General Chat/Video Games etc. So sorry if I misunderstood, but I like this.

One thing I think we could add, I know we have Mature General Chat for those over 18. Could we have a Mature-r Chat forum, accessable by everyone, for more mature topics like advice, and deeper discussions on topics like politics, science, etc? Call it the SRS BZNZ forum and have a ban on smilies for those who want more intellectual and personal discussion?

Even just as a child forum (what I call a sub-forum, what we have for GoL in the Future Games section), so its there as an optional section off General Chat.

Or move the TR movies segment into the entertainment subcategory.

Perhaps we could turn the TR Movies Forum into the General Tomb Raider Forum? Where we could have topics that do not neccesarily relate to any one game? We could also then include Tomb Raider movies, media, merchandise discussion, etc.

Paddy
15-05-10, 01:13
It's nothing that's never been done before. Most forums have a general chat section with various sub-forums for specific things. And, in fact, we already have a Videogame sub-forum - why not more?

I've followed the example from the Lost forums (http://lost-forum.com/), which, adapted to TRF, could work like this:

Section name: Off Topic

Sub-forums:

General Chat
Mature General Chat
Music
Movies and TV Shows
Videogames
Fan Art
Technical Support
Welcome Center

I did not add a specific section for Books because obviously they're not exactly a favorite subject here. :p

This is just an example, mind you, but it seems to me that most forums have things organized in similar ways.
This idea I like very much :D

Zebra
15-05-10, 01:16
On the one hand, I really like the idea but on the other hand I'm afraid that the main page might become too cluttered (and I'm not really a fun of sub-sub-forums). I guess it would be nice to have one though.

LaraLuvrrr
15-05-10, 01:16
Yes I'm all for intellectual discussion once in awhile. I'm sick of the Gaga, Brit, Christina, Kesha, Madonna threads taking over all the time.

robm_2007
17-05-10, 05:06
A good idea.

we need a Pop Culture/Entertainment sub-forum.

Movies/TV shows/music/books/websites/fashion & shopping etc.

lets leave the boring stuff like politics/religion/world events/and philiosophical conversations for general chat :p

Jedd Fletcher
17-05-10, 05:40
I like that, it makes perfect sense and would allow for better organization of movie, music and television-related threads.

LightningRider
17-05-10, 06:05
All for it.

I never get to post intellectually these days. :p

TheBloodRed
17-05-10, 06:07
Yes please. :tmb:

almayah
17-05-10, 10:11
Sounds great :tmb:
Let's clean GC
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/w/images/thumb/2/2c/Broom_icon.svg/400px-Broom_icon.svg.png