PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in Life on other Planets?

Pages : [1] 2

Gregori
14-05-10, 00:00
Since we were debating on the religion/science thread, I was wondering what people thought about the idea of life on other planets in the Universe.
It is a big universe, so it would seem strange if we were the only ones in
that huge space...

What do you guys think?

( Can one of the Mods make a Poll on this? )

Apathetic
14-05-10, 00:02
I think it's a matter of opinion, since no one really knows.
I do believe it's plausible, but like I said I don't know. x :)

peeves
14-05-10, 00:03
Well there wouldn't be other creatures that move in other parts of the galaxy though i believe in other planets of the stars of the galaxy just not creatures.

VictorXD
14-05-10, 00:04
I believe in life in other planets, its a huge universe, I doubt we are the ONLY planet inthe space with live;) But the alien idea, the green little things with spaceships and all, its stupid IMHO.

Lara_Fan_33
14-05-10, 00:04
i think the idea of some form of life on other planets is very likely, its a HUGE universe we live in. :)

Shauni
14-05-10, 00:05
I don't really think there is.. If there were life it would probably be on one of the planets closest to us and the sun, and they've already taken a peek at some of those planets and not seen anything yet. So, for now, I'd say probably not.

]{eith
14-05-10, 00:06
It's a very big universe and mankind might never know for certain whether we are alone or not. I'd hope that we're not alone. The thought of the only intelligent life in the universe being here on Earth is beyond depressing.

DgoOdz94
14-05-10, 00:08
I think it's a matter of opinion, since no one really knows.
I do believe it's plausible, but like I said I don't know. x :)

This. Until there is solid proof I will say that I don't know if life exists in other planets. Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn't, so yeah....

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:11
sure, why not?

IceColdLaraCroft
14-05-10, 00:13
Have you not seen the television documentary the Star trek? the Star Trek Next Generation & the Star Trek Voyager?

Draco
14-05-10, 00:16
How does belief have anything to do with the subject?

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:16
No, I don't believe in life on other planets. I also don't believe in haunting spirits or anything supernatural. ;)

laralover_07
14-05-10, 00:17
I believe there's more life out there. Science has proven there's millions and millions of galaxies and star systems out there, there's no way we could be alone. I believe the same accident could happen twice.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:17
No, I don't believe in life on other planets. I also don't believe in haunting spirits or anything supernatural. ;)
why not?

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:19
why not?

I just don't. I find it hard to believe anything without proof in front of my face. I have to witness it.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:20
well that's no fun.

Killercowz
14-05-10, 00:21
Sure, yeah I guess.

tranniversary119
I don't believe there's life on our eight planets (Obviously, not including Earth :p). However, the universe itself is massive and I'm sure that there MUST be life somewhere out there. At least, I believe there is. Like Keith said it sure of hell would be depressing if we're the only ones in the Universe.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
Of course there is. There are roughly 10^21 stars in the universe (That's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000), it seems insane to think that among that many, NONE would have a planet which supports life when our solar system has already proven it's possible. The problem is the distances in space are so inconceivably vast that it makes direct or even indirect analysis impossible. But just because we can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

ThatNorskChick
14-05-10, 00:23
I find it hard to believe that Earth is the only planet in this entire universe with life on it.

Draco
14-05-10, 00:23
I just don't. I find it hard to believe anything without proof in front of my face. I have to witness it.

So the statistical chances of us being alone in the universe being so close to zero nobody has bothered to figure out just how close, is not enough to indicate there are extraterrestrials to you? Or did you mean it more along the lines of 'it doesn't exist till I see'?

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:25
Or did you mean it more along the lines of 'it doesn't exist till I see'?

This, I suppose. I haven't completely written it off, but as of now I don't believe in it.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:26
well, see, with that sort of thinking... I mean, do you believe in atoms and electrons?

CiaKonwerski
14-05-10, 00:28
I definitely believe in life on other planets.

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:28
well, see, with that sort of thinking... I mean, do you believe in atoms and electrons?

Enough people say that stuff exists for me to believe in it, I suppose. Aliens are 100% opinion. I'm really not going to change my mind on that.

Draco
14-05-10, 00:31
Enough people say that stuff exists for me to believe in it, I suppose. Aliens are 100% opinion. I'm really not going to change my mind on that.

Tons of people say god exists, but that is no reason to believe he or she does.

As for aliens existing, it is currently more of a philosophical debate since science relies on observation.

But consider this:

Earth, one single planet, has billions of species of life on it. If one in a million stars has a planet even close to what earth is like, there would still be more earths in the universe than earth has species of life.

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:33
Tons of people say god exists, but that is no reason to believe he or she does.

Religion is a dragon I have no interest in battling right now. :p

Earth, one single planet, has billions of species of life on it. If one in a million stars has a planet even close to what earth is like, there would still be more earths in the universe than earth has species of life.

Like I said, I haven't written off the possibly, but right now it's check marked as "no" in my brain.

]{eith
14-05-10, 00:34
I don't understand that. If it's not written off then wouldn't it be 'maybe' and not 'no'? :confused:

suli
14-05-10, 00:35
maybe in this solar system we are the only ones

but no one the boundries and the limits of the universe so there may be some other solar systems out there that have other humans and stuff... ohh I wish I could know what's in there. :(

to answer the OP: yes I strongly do believe that there is life in other planets.

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:36
{eith;4595188']I don't understand that. If it's not written off then wouldn't it be 'maybe' and not 'no'? :confused:

Don't question how my head works. :p

]{eith
14-05-10, 00:37
Don't question how my head works. :p

*gulp* Okay.

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:38
{eith;4595200']*gulp* Okay.

:hug:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/AmericanAssassin/Tomb%20Raider%20Forums/GIF%20Images/Miscellaneous-HumpyBunny.gif

:p

]{eith
14-05-10, 00:39
LMFAO! :vlol:

Apathetic
14-05-10, 00:40

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/AmericanAssassin/Tomb%20Raider%20Forums/GIF%20Images/Miscellaneous-HumpyBunny.gif

Omg. :vlol: :p >_>

aktrekker
14-05-10, 00:42
It is always a possibility.
But I don't think so. Just because the universe is huge doesn't mean there must be life elsewhere. It also does not necessarily increase the odds that there is.
To treat the subject scientifically, we can only base our opinion on what we already know. And so far we only know of life on one planet. And hundreds of conditions had to be exactly right for life to be possible here.
And looking at the planets we have detected so far, none of them would be capable of supporting life. So far it doesn't look promising.

If we do find life, I believe it will only be on planets in our solar system. It will be very simple life, probably bacterial, but possibly some sort of simple plant life. And it would have originated from Earth.

That's my opinion.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:46
I suppose I hope there's life more than actually believe it. I don't want us to be the only ones in this huge universe. But there is hope.

IceColdLaraCroft
14-05-10, 00:48
Yes

suli
14-05-10, 00:50
It is always a possibility.
But I don't think so. Just because the universe is huge doesn't mean there must be life elsewhere. It also does not necessarily increase the odds that there is.
To treat the subject scientifically, we can only base our opinion on what we already know. And so far we only know of life on one planet. And hundreds of conditions had to be exactly right for life to be possible here.
And looking at the planets we have detected so far, none of them would be capable of supporting life. So far it doesn't look promising.

If we do find life, I believe it will only be on planets in our solar system. It will be very simple life, probably bacterial, but possibly some sort of simple plant life. And it would have originated from Earth.

That's my opinion.

but maybe in other planets life conditions are impossible for us there..but it maight be just right to the creatures of tose planets..maybe when they come to earth they wont be able to live?

Sir Croft
14-05-10, 00:52
I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones in such a huge universe that has existed for longer than we can imagine. Even our galaxy probably has other life forms, let alone the universe.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 00:59
but maybe in other planets life conditions are impossible for us there..but it maight be just right to the creatures of tose planets..maybe when they come to earth they wont be able to live?
The only type of life we know for sure can exist is our type. Anything else is pure speculation and science fiction. There is no basis for believing in some "other form" of life.

I find it hard to believe that we are the only ones in such a huge universe that has existed for longer than we can imagine. Even our galaxy probably has other life forms, let alone the universe.
Again, the size of the universe has no bearing. Just because it is so big does not imply that life is likely to exist anywhere else.

Sir Croft
14-05-10, 01:02
You did notice I mentioned the long time period, right?

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 01:06
In response to the OP, I think it's plausible, even probable. We live in a huge Universe, and I think that it'd be pretty odd if this planet was the only one with life on it.

Gregori
14-05-10, 01:09
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/universe/images/tour_ggs_hdf_l.jpg

http://www.infonet.st-johns.nf.ca/rasc/photos/deep-sky-25-milky-way-hr-th.jpg

techno-atom
14-05-10, 01:13
Of course I do. Will we ever find it? I doubt it. If we do it will be long after we're all dead and possibly not even for many, many, many years. I find it quite ignorant personally to believe that out of billions of Galaxies and Planets that we are the ONLY ONE with life. I just can't believe that we're the only planet in the Universe with life on it. It really bothers me how Scientist disqualify most planets ability to contain life just based on the fact it's not like Earth. Who says life on a planet has to be like ours? What if an alien species can't breath air? What if they breath gases that would otherwise be poisonous to us? Why can't Scientists think outside of the box?

Sir Croft
14-05-10, 01:17
We may not find them... but they may find us. :pi:

aktrekker
14-05-10, 01:26
People are posting without bothering to read. How can you ever learn anything?

And the images posted do not prove anything. All those galaxies do not in any way suggest that life must exist elsewhere. You're just trying to get agreement by playing with people's emotions.

PS - sorry, but you need to resize the images. They are too large.

Gregori
14-05-10, 01:39
People are posting without bothering to read. How can you ever learn anything?

And the images posted do not prove anything. All those galaxies do not in any way suggest that life must exist elsewhere. You're just trying to get agreement by playing with people's emotions.

PS - sorry, but you need to resize the images. They are too large.

Yes they do!

Its all about probability. The more galaxies you have, the more stars you have...... the more rolls of the dice you have.

Each of those stars can have planets. Observation shows that planets are pretty common in the universe. We know life exists on this planet in these condition, around this kind of Star. There are billions of other similar stars, that all have the same chemicals that all life on earth is made out of.

It would seem very unlikely and wierd, throwing all those dice, that life wouldn't appear elsewhere given similar conditions.

How many times do you manage to throw the dice a trillion times in a game and not eventually get two sixes!!!

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 01:48
The requirements for life on earth are so incredibly huge. Type of sun, our relative position to it, size of the earth, the moon, ratio of gases in our atmosphere, amount of liquid water, the surrounding gas giants-on and on and on. I'm not saying it's impossible- I believe there is life elsewhere- but even with probability there are probably only a handful of earth-like planets that can support life. And so far we haven't found any. We know absolutely nothing about the planets outside our solar system- we don't even know what they look like, let alone their features.

Gregori
14-05-10, 02:16
Life survives on earth in incredibly different conditions in many forms. It survives without the sun's light underneath ocean, in volcanic vents. It surives without sunlight in caves.
It can survive extreme radiation. It lives on freezing mountains, dry deserts, acidic water
super saline seas,,,,,

And this all assumes that life elsewhere has to live in Earth like conditions. It may well not. There could be life that doesn't require water, thats not carbon based, that doesn't use DNA as its replicating molecule. There could be life that uses different energy sources for power, maybe nuclear!!! I don't know. We haven't even begun to look yet.

My personal hunch is that we'll discover life elsewhere in this Solar System.. perhaps underneath Mars or on one of the moons of Saturn and Jupiter...We may have even put it there, from sending probes to those worlds!!!

Draco
14-05-10, 02:45
The requirements for life on earth are so incredibly huge. Type of sun, our relative position to it, size of the earth, the moon, ratio of gases in our atmosphere, amount of liquid water, the surrounding gas giants-on and on and on. I'm not saying it's impossible- I believe there is life elsewhere- but even with probability there are probably only a handful of earth-like planets that can support life. And so far we haven't found any. We know absolutely nothing about the planets outside our solar system- we don't even know what they look like, let alone their features.

The only reason we haven't found any earthlike planets is that they are so small. Also, there is no requirement for life on other worlds to have to have exactly the same conditions as earth.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 02:52
The Universe teems with life. That's what I believe.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 02:56
The only reason we haven't found any earthlike planets is that they are so small. Also, there is no requirement for life on other worlds to have to have exactly the same conditions as earth.
Nowhere in the universe have we found rules that work differently than from here on earth. If we are to assume that the same laws apply throughout the entire universe, which they do, then the conditions here on earth are almost certainly needed for life elsewhere. Unless that life was specifically designed for those other conditions.

Draco
14-05-10, 02:59
Nowhere in the universe have we found rules that work differently than from here on earth. If we are to assume that the same laws apply throughout the entire universe, which they do, then the conditions here on earth are almost certainly needed for life elsewhere. Unless that life was specifically designed for those other conditions.

How else would life develop but to shape itself to its environment?

interstellardave
14-05-10, 03:04

Clearly, from the other topic, you believe in a Higher Being... why would a Higher Being create this vast universe, only to place life in one place? Plus our own findings here on Earth--in which life is present literally everywhere we look, no matter how "hostile" the environment--would point to life itself being very hardy, and capable of surviving in environments that would have been deemed impossible only a decade ago!

No, it's just so unlikely that life exists only on Earth--Creator or not--that I consider it a virtual impossibility for it not to be all around us.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 03:06
How else would life develop but to shape itself to its environment?
If the environment was hostile then how could life even get a foothold, unless it was specifically designed for that environment?
Clearly, from the other topic, you believe in a Higher Being... why would a Higher Being create this vast universe, only to place life in one place? Plus our own findings here on Earth--in which life is present literally everywhere we look, no matter how "hostile" the environment--would point to life itself being very hardy, and capable of surviving in environments that would have been deemed impossible only a decade ago!

No, it's just so unlikely that life exists only on Earth--Creator or not--that I consider it a virtual impossibility for it not to be all around us.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I think it's very likely there's life elsewhere, for the same reasons you do. I just think it was engineered, not random chance.

Draco
14-05-10, 03:08
If the environment was hostile then how could life even get a foothold, unless it was specifically designed for that environment?

Repeating the same silly phrase isn't going to make your point for you. Why does life have to be 'designed' at all?

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 03:14
Using small qualifiers like "silly" to shade my argument on the incorrect side isn't going to make you right, either. Life has to be designed because the odds of something so complex as what we see here on earth just happening through random mutations is virtually impossible, no matter how many billions of years you allow for. Imagine you have a deck of cards. How many times would it take you to throw them in the air and have them land in a house of cards? Now how many times would you have to do that with 50,000 decks of cards? Now imagine you're doing it in a wind tunnel that alternately blows air at varying speeds. How many times would you have to throw the cards in order for them to land in houses at the same time as the wind being just right so they wouldn't blow over?

Gregori
14-05-10, 03:21
eventually you will get a house of cards from throwing the deck, its just a matter of time.

Luckily the processes that govern chemical evolution are totally different to throwing decks of cards and make the appearance of life occur quicker than throwing the deck.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 03:28
Eventually, yes, if you're an eternal being outside the constraints of time. Eventually I'll crap out a turd that looks like the statue of liberty if I do it enough, but I'm pretty sure I and the human race will be long gone before that.
The chemical processes may be different but where did they come from? Who wrote them? Someone had to, or are there other processes that formed those? And then what about those? And those? And those?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-05-10, 03:29

It's not size, it's the fact that we cannot observe them directly because their parent stars are billions of times brighter than they are. It'd be like trying to see a match next to the beacon on the Luxor from New York. We've found 453 extrasolar planets, but our complete inability to observe them directly renders us unable to make any determinations about them.

Draco
14-05-10, 03:31
Life designs itself.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 03:33
Oh, yeah, that's real sound reasoning.
"Who built this robot?"
"The other robot."
"Well, who built that robot?"
"The first one."
"..."

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-05-10, 03:34
Life designs itself.

You know that comment reminds me of something I've been pondering... Natural Chemistry. Think of a snakes venom - Something that developed without research or mass spectrometers or teams of scientists etc... It just HAPPENED. It's F'n amazing. I agree that with the proper conditions life will develop, it will find a way.

Gregori
14-05-10, 03:36
Eventually, yes, if you're an eternal being outside the constraints of time. Eventually I'll crap out a turd that looks like the statue of liberty if I do it enough, but I'm pretty sure I and the human race will be long gone before that.
The chemical processes may be different but where did they come from? Who wrote them? Someone had to, or are there other processes that formed those? And then what about those? And those? And those?

No one had to write them, they're merely a product of how atoms interact when energy is applied.

Life did take a long time to evolve. If you look at the fossil record, complex creatures didn't just arrive immediately, fully formed. There have been around 4 Billion years of life on the planet and for 3 Billion of those years, all life was merely made from single celled organisms. Endless generations of those simple life forms died. Complexity takes time and lots of death.

Gradually life got more and more complex, single celled organism became multi-celled.... and so no and so forth. Apes precede humans, dinosaurs precede birds, simple plants precede flowering plants

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 03:37
You know that comment reminds me of something I've been pondering... Natural Chemistry. Think of a snakes venom - Something that developed without research or mass spectrometers or teams of scientists etc... It just HAPPENED. It's F'n amazing. I agree that with the proper conditions life will develop, it will find a way.
So what, generations of snakes went through everything from air to dish water in their fangs before they could develop venom? How could they catch prey? How could they survive? Yeah life develops in the proper conditions, but it has to exist first.
No one had to write them, they're merely a product of how atoms interact when energy is applied.

Life did take a long time to evolve. If you look at the fossil record, complex creatures didn't just arrive immediately, fully formed. There have been around 4 Billion years of life on the planet and for 3 Billion of those years, all life was merely made from single celled organisms. Endless generations of those simple life forms died. Complexity takes time and lots of death.

Gradually life got more and more complex, single celled organism became multi-celled.... and so no and so forth. Apes precede humans, dinosaurs precede birds, simple plants precede flowering plants
The way atoms interact when energy is applied follows an orderly law, one that had to be written. Otherwise it'd be chaos. And I'll say it again, the fossil record proves nothing. It's just as much evidence for a global flood as it is for evolution, it's all based on perspective. And btw, life is not getting any more complex.

Draco
14-05-10, 03:37
Oh, yeah, that's real sound reasoning.
"Who built this robot?"
"The other robot."
"Well, who built that robot?"
"The first one."
"..."

Ah yes, you are proving to be good at avoiding making a point.

It's not size, it's the fact that we cannot observe them directly because their parent stars are billions of times brighter than they are. It'd be like trying to see a match next to the beacon on the Luxor from New York. We've found 453 extrasolar planets, but our complete inability to observe them directly renders us unable to make any determinations about them.

Well, actually we can tell a lot about a planet from the star itself, NASA is getting pretty good at it actually. But sofar the vast majority have been larger than Jupiter.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-05-10, 03:40
Ah yes, you are proving to be good at avoiding making a point.

Well, actually we can tell a lot about a planet from the star itself, NASA is getting pretty good at it actually. But sofar the vast majority have been larger than Jupiter.

Oh no, I know that. They use doplar shift to determine the stars gravitational gyrations caused by it's resident planets, but unfortunately it only tells us things like period, size, number of planets etc... What's on the surface of the planets may never be known. Keep in mind I said we cannot directly observe them.

Draco
14-05-10, 03:42
They can tell if it is solid or gaseous also, and what its general orbit path is, which also tells a lot about a planet.

Uzi master
14-05-10, 03:48
So what, generations of snakes went through everything from air to dish water in their fangs before they could develop venom? How could they catch prey? How could they survive? Yeah life develops in the proper conditions, but it has to exist first.

The way atoms interact when energy is applied follows an orderly law, one that had to be written. Otherwise it'd be chaos. And I'll say it again, the fossil record proves nothing. It's just as much evidence for a global flood as it is for evolution, it's all based on perspective. And btw, life is not getting any more complex.

lets see humans have opposable thumbs large societies large mental capacity and much more. before there were single-celled organisms and if you dissagre with that, dinosoars were pretty dumb and un-intellegent.

Gregori
14-05-10, 03:51

Life is always changing and the fossil record show that its went from simple organisms to more complex ones. There is no evidence for a global flood. If there was a global flood, that water surely would have to come from somewhere and have gone somewhere!!

No one has to write a law for how atoms interact, they just exist.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 04:00
lets see humans have opposable thumbs large societies large mental capacity and much more. before there were single-celled organisms and if you dissagre with that, dinosoars were pretty dumb and un-intellegent.
There are still single-celled organisms. The advancement of humanity compared to animals does not mean life is becoming more complex. If it were then there would be something above us. And we don't know how smart dinos were, since all we have is bones.
Life is always changing and the fossil record show that its went from simple organisms to more complex ones. There is no evidence for a global flood. If there was a global flood, that water surely would have to come from somewhere and have gone somewhere!!

No evidence?! Look around you! You see the Grand Canyon, continental drift, deep sea trenches? Do you know that every human civilization in history has a global flood legend? You want to talk fossil record? How did sea creatures end up fossilised at the top of the Grand Canyon, waaay above sea level? Hell, how did the fossil record even come to exist? The sediment layers are too neat, too perfect, to have formed over a long time, they would have been disturbed by burrowing creatures and geological processes. There had to have been rapid burial and depositing of sediment, as would have happened with a flood. Where did the water go? Ever visit the ocean? There's a lot of water there! The earth cracked open, shifted drastically, spewing out deep subterranean oceans, rivers, and lakes, and the water drained into the new valleys and trenches. Ancient water marks at incredibly high levels can be found on coasts all across the world.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 04:02

The fossil record does not show that life evolved from simple to complex. That is an interpretation of the evidence.

The water from a flood would surely have gone into the oceans :rolleyes:
They have found fossils of sea creatures at the top of high mountains. How did they get there?
When Pangea broke up it is certainly reasonable to think that major flooding would have occurred.

Gregori
14-05-10, 04:09
No evidence?! Look around you! You see the Grand Canyon, continental drift, deep sea trenches? Do you know that every human civilization in history has a global flood legend?
Yes, A legend, not the same as a fact

You want to talk fossil record? How did sea creatures end up fossilised at the top of the Grand Canyon, waaay above sea level? Hell, how did the fossil record even come to exist? The sediment layers are too neat, too perfect, to have formed over a long time, they would have been disturbed by burrowing creatures and geological processes. There had to have been rapid burial and depositing of sediment, as would have happened with a flood.
The land level changes over time as continents shift, volcanoes erupt. Polar Ice also plays a role. Sediment layers are not perfect, but they do give an account of a world that is more than 600 years old. KT boundary for example, no dinosaurs are found above it and its 65 Million years old!!!

Where did the water go? Ever visit the ocean? There's a lot of water there! The earth cracked open, shifted drastically, spewing out deep subterranean oceans, rivers, and lakes, and the water drained into the new valleys and trenches. Ancient water marks at incredibly high levels can be found on coasts all across the world.

If the water spilled into the ocean, it should still exist today, the water level should be the same, unless it mysteriously evaporated into space, but the temperatures needed to evaporate that amount of water into space that quickly would probably melt the crust of earth, killing poor little Noah.

Mikky
14-05-10, 04:15
Oh, hell yes! What's the point of having so many planets if our planet is the only one with life in it? It just doesn't make any sense.
That's why I think that there has to be life on other planets.

Draco
14-05-10, 05:01
There are still single-celled organisms. The advancement of humanity compared to animals does not mean life is becoming more complex. If it were then there would be something above us. And we don't know how smart dinos were, since all we have is bones.

Who says there isn't something 'above us'?

Drone
14-05-10, 05:07
Since we were debating on the religion/science thread, I was wondering what people thought about the idea of life on other planets in the Universe.

What kind of life do you mean? The exact copy of Earth or something really different? There's a life there but no one knows by now where and what kind of life. But like Hawking said that if there are technologically advanced aliens, it's better to stay away from them. I totally agree with him.

Aranara
14-05-10, 05:13
It's a huge universe, so I think there are other life forms on other planets...Not sure if they act like humans or like animals, but it's pretty impossible to be the only life forms in this universe :)

Gregori
14-05-10, 05:16
What kind of life do you mean? The exact copy of Earth or something really different? There's a life there but no one knows by now where and what kind of life. But like Hawking said that if there are technologically advanced aliens, it's better to stay away from them. I totally agree with him.

I mean any kind of life, whether its like Earth life or not. It could be silicon based, or use another fluid other than water!! I don't know!!

aktrekker
14-05-10, 05:22
Science fiction. Let's stick to science. And for that, we can only go by what we know. Carbon-based life.

Drone
14-05-10, 05:23
I mean any kind of life, whether its like Earth life or not. It could be silicon based, or use another fluid other than water!! I don't know!!

It's theoretically possible. And you know some primitive organisms and bacteria already found. On Mars for example.

Tyrannosaurus
14-05-10, 05:32
I believe it is reasonable to conclude that:

1) Life on other planets probably does exist, or has at some point.

2) We will almost certainly never see it.

and

3) If we did, it would look nothing like anything we've previously imagined, and blow many of our ideas about what alien life forms should be like.

Seriously, the ancients would be more alien to us than half of the aliens featured in Star Trek.

And I also don't believe that extraterrestrials have ever visited our planet.

sandygrimm
14-05-10, 05:52
What do I got to loose if I do believe.. just like in GOD. You can't see him, but there is evidence everywhere.

So yeah, I do.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 05:57
What evidence is there for life on other planets?
I'm serious. If there is some evidence I want to know what it is. I love astrophysics and related topics.

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:05
What evidence is there for life on other planets?
I'm serious. If there is some evidence I want to know what it is. I love astrophysics and related topics.

Well, there always the infamous Roswell incident. :)

aktrekker
14-05-10, 06:11
I said astrophysics, not astrofiction :ton:

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:12
I said astrophysics, not astrofiction :ton:

:vlol: Very well said.

sandygrimm
14-05-10, 06:15
Well, such as we came to be, other life beings could of evolved on other planets. Since there is evidence of other planets.life has to be somewhere. Not necesarly intelligent, but bacteria life forms, or unicellular

I don't put accent on all the earth proof such as ancient gods or giant people or even Roswell, but I suppose those can be too considered.

Cochrane
14-05-10, 06:48
Science fiction. Let's stick to science. And for that, we can only go by what we know. Carbon-based life.

As far as we know for sure, one in eight (nine of you continue to count Pluto) is suitable for the evolution of intelligent life. That seems like pretty good odds for life elsewhere to me.

Obviously, that number does not tell the whole story, as it seems that earth is very finely tuned to allow us to exist. But we have no idea at all what the minimum system requirements for life are, we only have one specimen that happens to meet them. Any figure other than "one in eight" is just an educated guess, not actually knowledge.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 07:07
If you add all of the other planets detected so far, none of them suitable for life (gas giants, too near to or far from sun), the odds become much smaller.

True, we can't detect earth size planets at a suitable distance from their sun yet. But until we do start to detect them we can only go by what we know. Even some of the gas giants detected have been approximately at earth's orbit from their sun. So far the evidence isn't good.

But it's always good to dream. Sometimes that's the only way to make advancements.

Cochrane
14-05-10, 07:13
If you add all of the other planets detected so far, none of them suitable for life (gas giants, too near to or far from sun), the odds become much smaller.

True, we can't detect earth size planets at a suitable distance from their sun yet. But until we do start to detect them we can only go by what we know. Even some of the gas giants detected have been approximately at earth's orbit from their sun. So far the evidence isn't good.

But it's always good to dream. Sometimes that's the only way to make advancements.

We havenít determined yet that those other planets are truly unsuitable to life. They probably are, but so far we have never been close enough to tell whether our idea of unsuitable for life is true. But letís say they are. A 0.1% chance of life happening on a planet is still quite a lot in an universe as large as ours.

oocladableeblah
14-05-10, 07:35
I am just gonna lay it all out.

Yes. The reason is because I find it hard to believe that out of the billions of galaxies in space, and the billions of planets within those galaxies, that there is not one single planet besides Earth that does not have life. Even if it is just small organisms.

I am fine with you saying no I don't, but saying it is flat out impossible is ridiculous.

aktrekker
14-05-10, 07:41
We havenít determined yet that those other planets are truly unsuitable to life. They probably are, but so far we have never been close enough to tell whether our idea of unsuitable for life is true. But letís say they are. A 0.1% chance of life happening on a planet is still quite a lot in an universe as large as ours.

True. But with each new planet detected, the odds go down, not up.
Maybe soon they'll come up with a way of detecting earth size planets at earth orbits. There are several projects in the works right now. Maybe in a couple of decades we'll find one. Then the odds might start to reverse.

Lemmie
14-05-10, 07:48
The universe isn't set up to produce life, at least, not as we know it. We're here only because of a sequence of incredibly unlikely cosmic and terrestrial events, so that every living thing on the planet is extremely lucky to be here.

That having been said, I don't see why life wouldn't be able to exist on other kinds of planets, having evolved within a totally different set of environmental parameters.

ryan91
14-05-10, 09:04
of course i believe. we live in an limitless, borderless universe. being the only living creature in this huge eternity would break my heart </3

Dina_Croft
14-05-10, 09:50
Of course. I am from Mars along with whole lot of Echelons. :pi:

Lol seriously Yes I do believe in Life on other planets. I mean why not?

Archetype
14-05-10, 09:53
no.

Peanut
14-05-10, 09:53
I do believe about life in other planets. Like plants or something but Aliens NO. :p

Ikas90
14-05-10, 10:05
From a scientific point of view, there is definitely life out there. There are more stars and galaxies out there than there are sand grains on earth. Not to mention each galaxy is hundreds of thousands of light years across. It would be extremely far-fetched for life not to exist somewhere else in the universe, let alone in our own galaxy. Maybe there are life supporting planets, but I wouldn't count on them all being able to support human life. Perhaps on said planets, there would be creatures that rely on different resources to live; resources that humans cannot survive on, or air that is not breathable for humans. In the same way, creatures from other planets may not be able to survive on our planet.

From a religious point of view, it's more debatable. God could have created just us. I'm pretty sure God would have to intervene to create life on planets. Perhaps he's even testing our capacity to be able to create the technology to travel throughout the universe and colonise other planets.

EgyptianSoul
14-05-10, 10:31
Who knows what's out there.

What if, theoretically, there could be multiple planets like Earth. With all the same people, each possible scenario in our lifes are played out.

Here is a man with a good job and a family. In some other galaxy his life has gone totally wrong and he's poor and homeless, and yet in another parallel galaxy this and that etc...

Think about it.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 10:47

Yeah, but from your perspective you face the exact same problem. You have to ask: Where did the creator come from? Did anything exist before the creator? If not then the creator just was? If all there was was the creator, how could that be... did the creator exist in a void? If something did exist before the creator what created that, and did something create the creator? Etc...

It's an eternal headache thinking about such things if you ask me!

Legends
14-05-10, 10:55
I do believe there is life on other planets. It might not be intelligent life, or anything else than bugs, but you never know. The universe is too big for someone to really understand how big it really is. Where does it stop? And when you come to the end, what is outside? Or does it just keep going and going and going? There are many theories, I don't really have one I believe more. Life might also be more intelligent on other planets somewhere, but somehow, that seems harder to believe. I think there is a chance there is life somewhere else. Light-years away. If we only knew.

igonge
14-05-10, 11:22
Not in our Galaxy. But somewhere else out there I believe there is some sort of life whether it be intelligent or not. Maybe intelligent life lightyears away are posing this exact question too.

silviu_raider
14-05-10, 11:25
I do believe that somewhere in this Universe, or beyond it(?), there are planets that host life forms, of any kind, intelligent human beings, plants (etc.), maybe life froms even more intelligent then we.:)
Anything's possible.:)

Rai
14-05-10, 11:26
Yes, I believe in the probability of life of some kind on another planet, somewhere in another galaxy. Our sun can't be the only sun out there that is sustaining life on a nearby planet. Also, a hostile atmosphere to us(and other lifeforms on this planet), might not be hostile to lifeforms that have adapted to that atmosphere.

almayah
14-05-10, 11:29
No, not really
I need hard evidence before you can convince me :rolleyes:

Alex Shepherd
14-05-10, 11:36
I believe in life in other planets, its a huge universe, I doubt we are the ONLY planet inthe space with live;) But the alien idea, the green little things with spaceships and all, its stupid IMHO.

I agree with you... I believe in life in other planets just like ours... And not aliens creatures but people and animals just like us... But I wonder how they live there? Separated country? Wars? Religion? How do they live? How do they interact with each other... How do they eat or sleep... How their house looklike? LOL! I just like to know these things if life do really exists in other planet... Maybe in the future they would discover the interaction using electricity so they will make something that lookslike internet using another machine than satellite, so they would contact us in coensidence who knows? LOL!! :vlol: :vlol: I just made an imagination story here on this thread :vlol:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-05-10, 11:58

Ok so let's assume we're the only plant in our galaxy which supports any life at all (which I also find unlikely). What about all of the other galaxies? There are 170 BILLION galaxies in our universe. You can't seriously think it's impossible for a solar system similar to ours to have developed in ONE of those.

the ancient
14-05-10, 12:00
Space is gargantuel there must be some other planets were life is possible

TRLegendLuver
14-05-10, 12:02
Yes. I knew someone who worked in Area 51 and he told me certain things, but he wasn't supposed to tell. If you didn't notice, I said I knew him. :pi:

Lara's Nemesis
14-05-10, 12:04
There is a very good chance there will be other life somewhere, unfortunately I don't think we will ever know for sure.

MangelinaJolie
14-05-10, 12:07
I believe that there is, somewhere out in the vast amount of space, other forms of life on another planet.

That being said, and forgive me for bringing religion into this, it makes humanity here seem almost selfish in the regard that Christ was on Earth. That would mean that the God in many religions may or may not have exhibited himself to these other forms of life and thus they may be oblivious.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
14-05-10, 12:14
Yes. I knew someone who worked in Area 51 and he told me certain things, but he wasn't supposed to tell. If you didn't notice, I said I knew him. :pi:

Sure you did...

Dennis's Mom
14-05-10, 13:26
I actually took an astronomy class in "Extraterrestrial Life" when I was at UT. Did you know there's a formula for determining the number of populated planets in the galaxy? Even if the number of planets is infinite, we know they're not all populated, therefore that number is knowable.

Basically, it's a formula with a lot of variables based on what we know of how life developed on earth. Now, this was the 1980s (Professor Benedict worked on "Space Telescope;" it hadn't even acquired the name Hubble yet,) so we've learned a lot about what life can and cannot take since then.

I do remember Prof. Benedict saying Jupiter had an excellent chance of life, because while it looks incredibly hostile and cold on the surface, its atmosphere contains all the building blocks for life, and at some point, as you descend through the atmosphere, the temperature may be right for those build blocks to build life. Imagine giant floating creatures who live on methane . . . .

I believe that there is, somewhere out in the vast amount of space, other forms of life on another planet.

That being said, and forgive me for bringing religion into this, it makes humanity here seem almost selfish in the regard that Christ was on Earth. That would mean that the God in many religions may or may not have exhibited himself to these other forms of life and thus they may be oblivious.

I think you simply have to get a bigger God and discard the "country club president" version. God exists across time and space, after all (and I believe scripture confirms this.) Is God invested in us? Certainly, but as God, that in no way limits his ability to be invested in the rest of his creation. God isn't a loaf of bread where if you give one person a piece, it means someone else gets a smaller piece or no piece at all.

Chocola teapot
14-05-10, 15:54
Absolutely, There are Nine (give or take a few) Planets in the solar system going around one star.

There are Millions of stars in our galaxy.

There are Millions of Galaxies in the universe.

Imagine how many Planets there are.

You expect me to beleive that the Earth is the only planet out of Trillions in the universe with life on it?

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 15:55
It's pretty inevitable that there is other life other than on this planet, especially seeing as we have really no clue what's in other galaxies, like the Andromeda Galaxy. For all we know, there could be an alternate earth! :p

Chocola: You can't really use the star one, as not every star has a planet going around it, but I get your idea :p

young Lara Croft
14-05-10, 15:57
the whole Universe is alive!

Rai
14-05-10, 15:58
It's pretty inevitable that there is other life other than on this planet, especially seeing as we have really no clue what's in other galaxies, like the Andromeda Galaxy. For all we know, there could be an alternate earth! :p

Chocola: You can't really use the star one, as not every star has a planet going around it, but I get your idea :p

Perhaps there are aliens on another planet discussing this very subject on a fan (alien raider, lol) forum, with half the members claiming they don't believe it possible. :eek: :vlol:

And Chocola was (I think) saying what I said earlier that there must be other suns out there that do have planets near enough to them to sustain life. Somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

moodydog
14-05-10, 15:59
its funny really, today we were discussing the universe.

I would love to believe there are other life forms, and to think, all matter origianlly orientated from space anyway. However, part of me also beleives that the fact that our planet is a 'prefect' distance away from the sun, and a 'perfect' environment for life, i think we are the sole few. :o But this is all opinion, and would love to be proven wrong :D

dizzydoil
14-05-10, 15:59
Perhaps there are aliens on another planet discussing this very subject on a fan (alien raider, lol) forum, with half the members claiming they don't believe it possible. :eek: :vlol:
Yes. I like to believe this is the case.

:pi:

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:00

Indeed there could be!

Buffy87
14-05-10, 16:08
Sure I believe that there could be life on other planets... I mean if we exist on this planet then what is to say that there aren't other planets out there with life on them. I can't say I think about it often but I am certainly open to the possibility that such life might exist. I know that ghosts exist having seen them so why not other life forms?

On a slight side note I'm probably more interested in the thought of there being alternate universes and different versions of me about the place - I think that every decision I make alters my future so there are versions of me where I took different decisions all over the place hehe.

Lee croft
14-05-10, 19:07
Yes I belive!!

Where do you like R2D2 came from?

MangelinaJolie
14-05-10, 19:41
I think you simply have to get a bigger God and discard the "country club president" version. God exists across time and space, after all (and I believe scripture confirms this.) Is God invested in us? Certainly, but as God, that in no way limits his ability to be invested in the rest of his creation. God isn't a loaf of bread where if you give one person a piece, it means someone else gets a smaller piece or no piece at all.

Indeed. It's just food for thought that where there is any potential evidence of a God on Earth, there could be more elsewhere, given in a way to reach out to these other life forms.

TombOfRaiders
14-05-10, 20:36
Millions of Galaxies...One Mankind.

I don't think so! I believe that there's Life out there...somewhere.

larafan25
14-05-10, 20:39
Yes, I am sure there is.:)

Gregori
14-05-10, 21:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_d

Gliese 581 d is a Super Earth. Its the right mass to be made mostly from silicate rock and Its close enough to its Star to have liquid water on its surface.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 00:54
According to Stťphane Udry, "It could be covered by a 'large and deep ocean'; it is the first serious ocean planet candidate."[5][dead link]

Just how can they determine that from gravitational perturbations? It is sheer speculation and fantasy. This statement is not founded in science.
Also notice the dead link for the quote.

On average, the light that Gliese 581 d receives from its star has about 30% of the intensity of sunlight on Earth. By comparison, sunlight on Mars has about 40% of the intensity of that on Earth. That might seem to suggest that Gliese 581 d is too cold to support liquid water and hence is inhospitable to life. However, an atmospheric greenhouse effect can significantly raise planetary temperatures. For example, Earth's own temperature would be about -18įC[6] without any greenhouse gases. If the atmosphere of Gliese 581 d produces a sufficiently large greenhouse effect, then the surface temperature might well permit liquid water and the planet might conceivably support life.

Might, might, might. If, if, if. Still speculation. Still unsupported scientifically.
They don't even know if it has an atmosphere.

According to their estimates, it is at least 7 times as large as earth and only gets 30% as much light from the sun. Even with water, the light levels probably would not be enough to support plant life. It would be very dark and cold.

ECB
15-05-10, 00:57
I honestly do. We can't be the only people in the unverse. I just hope I'll live to see the day if aliens(if they are real) make contact!

Paddy
15-05-10, 00:57
Would be pointless to think we are the only lifeforms out there, not to mention a tad ignorant.
Assumptions that there is no other forms out there is just hilarious.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 01:00
Ok so let's assume we're the only plant in our galaxy which supports any life at all (which I also find unlikely). What about all of the other galaxies? There are 170 BILLION galaxies in our universe. You can't seriously think it's impossible for a solar system similar to ours to have developed in ONE of those.

Based on percentages, it doesn't look good so far.

igonge
15-05-10, 01:09
For once I'd like us to be the Aliens and land on someone else's planet lol. I'm sure a lifeform from another planet would find us pretty revolting :p Well if you really think about it, us humans are pretty strange looking creatures, just have a good look at your hands and think how strange they are :D Seriously.

LaraLuvrrr
15-05-10, 01:17
Yes but I don't know what they're like. In my opinion our soul's energy is quicker than the speed of light. So when we die our souls can travel freely in space and incarnate in other worlds.

igonge
15-05-10, 01:19
So when we die our souls can travel freely in space and incarnate in other worlds.

So you could be reincarnated on another planet? Super Socks! :D

LaraLuvrrr
15-05-10, 01:23
So you could be reincarnated on another planet? Super Socks! :D

It's an idea that popped into my head while meditating once. And I thought about it more and it makes sense. All religions say our souls are "energy" and we cannot see that energy so it's probably purer than light. Light is the fastest of energies so I can imagine our soul's invisible energy being even faster so it's free to space travel. That's just a theory I have.

larafan25
15-05-10, 01:25
Yes but I don't know what they're like. In my opinion our soul's energy is quicker than the speed of light. So when we die our souls can travel freely in space and incarnate in other worlds.

Ohhh I want this!:D

that would be sooo cool.

Plus I am soo nosey I would want to stay around after I die.:)

Gregori
15-05-10, 01:33
Just how can they determine that from gravitational perturbations? It is sheer speculation and fantasy. This statement is not founded in science.
Also notice the dead link for the quote.
If you observe the other planets and moons in the solar system, many of them have large amounts of water ice on them. Mars, the Moon, Europa, Enceladus, Ceres all have water on them as well as comets that regularly impact these bodies.

Water is a very common molecule in the universe, so it would not be unusual for it to be found on Gliese 581d. If temperature and pressure are
right, its probable that there are oceans on this planet.

This statement is founded in what we know about planets that we have observed. Its an educated guess.

Might, might, might. If, if, if. Still speculation. Still unsupported scientifically.
They don't even know if it has an atmosphere.

Its mass is so large that it would have to have an atmosphere. Its atmosphere is likely thicker than earth's. It would be extremely weird and extremely improbable if it didn't have an atmosphere.

Venus has a very thick atmosphere that supports a greenhouse effect, and has a similar mass to Earth.

According to their estimates, it is at least 7 times as large as earth and only gets 30% as much light from the sun. Even with water, the light levels probably would not be enough to support plant life. It would be very dark and cold.

Life doesn't have to be plants. The first life on Earth was not plants.
There are life forms on earth that live independently of sunlight :)

Even if it were plants, they would be evolved to survive in dim light conditions. There are plants and algae on Earth that survive in low light conditions.

Besides, the planets in the Gliese system are just a few in the list of Trillions of planets that are out there.
There are probably planets even more suited to life.

Because it requires very sensitive instruments, there is a bias towards discovering large planets. As technology becomes better
we'll detect more Earth like worlds that are the right distance from their Stars.

Trfansince1996
15-05-10, 01:37
I believe in other life forms. Always have. Always will. I wonder If ill ever get to meet one...

aktrekker
15-05-10, 02:06
If you observe the other planets and moons in the solar system, many of them have large amounts of water ice on them. Mars, the Moon, Europa, Enceladus, Ceres all have water on them as well as comets that regularly impact these bodies.

Water is a very common molecule in the universe, so it would not be unusual for it to be found on Gliese 581d. If temperature and pressure are
right, its probable that there are oceans on this planet.

This statement is founded in what we know about planets that we have observed. Its an educated guess.
Still, it's a guess. At best it's an assumption, and those will get you into trouble.

Its mass is so large that it would have to have an atmosphere. Its atmosphere is likely thicker than earth's. It would be extremely weird and extremely improbable if it didn't have an atmosphere.

Venus has a very thick atmosphere that supports a greenhouse effect, and has a similar mass to Earth.

It's size does not dictate that it must have an atmosphere. This is also a guess.

Life doesn't have to be plants. The first life on Earth was not plants.
There are life forms on earth that live independently of sunlight :)

Even if it were plants, they would be evolved to survive in dim light conditions. There are plants and algae on Earth that survive in low light conditions.

That is also a guess.

Besides, the planets in the Gliese system are just a few in the list of Trillions of planets that are out there.
There are probably planets even more suited to life.

You mean possibly.

Because it requires very sensitive instruments, there is a bias towards discovering large planets. As technology becomes better
we'll detect more Earth like worlds that are the right distance from their Stars.
This is an assumption. We hope we'll find some. Until we do, we have to go by what we have found. Even if we find planets the right size at the right distance from their star, it doesn't mean there is life.
We may never find out if there is life elsewhere. Not unless we find a way to travel to prospective planets within a single lifetime. And while there is a possibility we can someday travel between stars in our galaxy, travel between galaxies will probably never be within our reach. But that's another topic. :p

Gregori
15-05-10, 03:10
Still, it's a guess. At best it's an assumption, and those will get you into trouble.
It would be unusual and highly improbable if water was not found in other solar systems. Its one of the most common molecules in the whole universe.

It's size does not dictate that it must have an atmosphere. This is also a guess.

It actually does. All planets in this solar system with masses more than mercury have gaseous atmospheres. Statistically, its highly improbable
that a planet 7 times the mass of earth would have no atmosphere. Its gravity would be so strong that it could easily hold on to one, just like Venus and Earth hold onto theirs. Size MATTERS!!

That is also a guess. Its not a guess. There is life that survives on earth without sunlight!!! Its a fact.

You mean possibly.
I mean probably. There have been over 424 planets discovered so far and one of them is in the habitable zone. Thats 1 in 424!!! There are 7 x 10 to the power of 24 stars in the universe. Even if only a tiny fraction of them had planets, it would be very unlikely that there are not planets in the habitable zones of those stars.

The detection methods favor giant planets with short orbits. When technology improves, smaller rockier planets will likely be discovered in longer orbits

This is an assumption. We hope we'll find some. Until we do, we have to go by what we have found. Even if we find planets the right size at the right distance from their star, it doesn't mean there is life.

It doesn't automatically mean there is life, but it means life can survive there. If life exist here, there is no reason why it shouldn't exist on other similar worlds also.

We may never find out if there is life elsewhere. Not unless we find a way to travel to prospective planets within a single lifetime.

You don't need to travel to those planets to discover life. Looking at the chemicals in their atmospheres will tell you.

And while there is a possibility we can someday travel between stars in our galaxy, travel between galaxies will probably never be within our reach. But that's another topic. :p

We don't know travel between galaxies is impossible yet. You're guessing.

Anyways, I get the feeling you're just trying to be a contrarian.

Ikas90
15-05-10, 03:14
Does anyone believe that the "crop circles" here on earth are messages from intelligent life on other planets? Has there been study on this issue?

Draco
15-05-10, 03:29
Our own solar system has two planets in the habitable zone, so it seems unlikely that it would be a rare occurrence elsewhere.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 04:51
It actually does. All planets in this solar system with masses more than mercury have gaseous atmospheres. Statistically, its highly improbable
that a planet 7 times the mass of earth would have no atmosphere. Its gravity would be so strong that it could easily hold on to one, just like Venus and Earth hold onto theirs. Size MATTERS!!
Yes, it could hold onto one. There is nothing that requires it form one in the first place.

Its not a guess. There is life that survives on earth without sunlight!!! Its a fact.
Yes, that is a fact. The guess is that it would necessarily exist on another planet.

I mean probably. There have been over 424 planets discovered so far and one of them is in the habitable zone. Thats 1 in 424!!! There are 7 x 10 to the power of 24 stars in the universe. Even if only a tiny fraction of them had planets, it would be very unlikely that there are not planets in the habitable zones of those stars.
Including our own, 1 in 432. And that's just the ones we have detected so far. The odds could become far greater as we discover more. Or it could become more likely. We have to wait and see what the future brings. Anything else is guessing.

The detection methods favor giant planets with short orbits. When technology improves, smaller rockier planets will likely be discovered in longer orbits
I have already admitted that.

It doesn't automatically mean there is life, but it means life can survive there. If life exist here, there is no reason why it shouldn't exist on other similar worlds also.
And no reason it should.

You don't need to travel to those planets to discover life. Looking at the chemicals in their atmospheres will tell you.
That only tells you if the chemicals are present. It does not prove there is life.

We don't know travel between galaxies is impossible yet. You're guessing.
I said probably. You forgot to read it.

Anyways, I get the feeling you're just trying to be a contrarian.
I'm a realist. I see things the way they are, even if I want things to be different. You are dreaming and trying to claim it is factual. There's nothing wrong with dreaming. Without dreams we would never advance. Just don't get so caught up in it that you forget it's a dream (for now).

Our own solar system has two planets in the habitable zone, so it seems unlikely that it would be a rare occurrence elsewhere.

Earth and what?

Reckless Lara
15-05-10, 11:38
Wouldn't it be too selfish to think we are alone in such a huge place? :)

TRfan23
15-05-10, 12:19
W8JLqsbK5V0

Personally I think there is but we have yet to find that life :tmb:

Capt. Murphy
15-05-10, 12:57
I don't believe in Life on other planets, but I don't think it would be impossible. :)

As large as this Universe is... Why can't there be? I will hold to the idea that we are the only thing (advanced/intelligent) in the way of lifeforms. I don't say that to boast. I think it is quiet humbling. For I believe God is the greatest thing out there or anywhere. And compared to Him we are nothing. :o

Earth and what?

Mars I believe. It just has all that Carbon Dioxide in it's atmosphere. Because Venus is too hot.

Chocola teapot
15-05-10, 12:59

Even if there were planets around 1% of stars, that's still many millions of planets.

One of those probably has life on it.

lara c. fan
15-05-10, 16:05
Even if there were planets around 1% of stars, that's still many millions of planets.

One of those probably has life on it.

Yeah, I know, which is why I said "I get your point" :p
Or, well, I actually said "I get your idea", but that's just being pedantic.

Catracoth
15-05-10, 16:05
I do indeed believe there may be life on other planets.

Gregori
15-05-10, 17:06
Yes, it could hold onto one. There is nothing that requires it form one in the first place. Everything larger than mercury in the solar system has an atmosphere. That's 7 out of 8 planets!!
Atmospheres are the rule, not the exception. All planets form from the same chemicals in a similar process. It would be a freak of nature for such a large planet not to have one.

Yes, that is a fact. The guess is that it would necessarily exist on another planet. Its a guess, but not an unreasonable one. If all the conditions are right for life on another world, and life occurs on earth in similar conditions, its not too much a stretch of the imagination to suspect
it occurs elsewhere too in those conditions. We're all made from the same chemical building blocks.

Including our own, 1 in 432. And that's just the ones we have detected so far. The odds could become far greater as we discover more. Or it could become more likely. We have to wait and see what the future brings. Anything else is guessing. Even if only 1 in 432 planets where in the habitable zone, and only a small fraction of stars had planets, the number of habitable planets would still be huge in just this Galaxy.

And no reason it should. The reason it should are that conditions are similar, and if it occurred on Earth, it should occur elsewhere

That only tells you if the chemicals are present. It does not prove there is life. Large amounts of free oxygen don't occur in nature. It took plants, algae and bacteria Billions of years to build up such an atmosphere. There are also other chemicals that are tell tale signatures of life, like Methane, Chlorophyll, Formaldehyde....

I'm a realist. I see things the way they are, even if I want things to be different. You are dreaming and trying to claim it is factual. There's nothing wrong with dreaming. Without dreams we would never advance. Just don't get so caught up in it that you forget it's a dream (for now).

I'm not dreaming. I'm basing my claims on the best planetary science there is and everything that has been observed of life on Earth and observation of other planets in the solar system. You're an unrealist. Everything your saying flies in the face of statistics and probability. You say unrealistic things, like giant planets not having atmospheres!!! That flies in the face of everything in planetary science.

Aren't you the guy who said about rolling dice a trillion times and not ending up with two sixes? Sure its possible, but its not probable!!!

Earth and what?

Mars, with a thicker atmosphere, life could survive on Mars's surface. Its possible that life survives underground there too. There is also a zone on Venus, in its upper atmosphere that has temperature, pressure the same as Earth, life could survive there.

silver_wolf
15-05-10, 17:15
But it takes more than just being in the habitable zone. You need tons of other factors to be just so.

Afonya
15-05-10, 18:30
Yeah, I do. Of course. There probably is life in a galaxy far, far away....

Universe is quite big place and it's possible that we will never know about life in outer space.

Draco
15-05-10, 19:15
Earth and what?

Mars

But it takes more than just being in the habitable zone. You need tons of other factors to be just so.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

CerebralAssassin
15-05-10, 19:18
nope.of course I don't believe in it! lmao

Nerd For Life
15-05-10, 20:01
Yes, I do.

robm_2007
15-05-10, 21:49
i think that there might be bacteria or somesort of plant-life; but i dont think that there is anything intelligent or animal-like.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 22:28
OK, technically all the planets have an atmosphere. As well as moons.
Mercury does have an atmosphere created by the sun evaporating the rocks. Pluto has an atmosphere, at least when it's orbit passes near the sun, from evaporating ice. Even our moon technically has an atmosphere.
But do you honestly consider those to be atmospheres? In the context of this thread, we all know what we mean by atmosphere. Not like Mercury, Pluto, the moon, or even the gas giants. We are talking about an atmosphere similar to Earth. So let's quit playing games.
In our solar system, only 3 bodies have a significant earth-like atmosphere. Earth, Venus, and Titan.
Titan is likely too cold for life to form. Maybe not, but probably.
Venus of course is not habitable. The atmosphere itself is poisonous. Even at that zone you mentioned, miles up in the upper atmosphere, it is still sulfur based. While some lifeforms we know can survive in those conditions, it is not believed that they originated there, but rather migrated. Once there, they could of course reproduce.
In our solar system, only one planet has an atmosphere that can be considered habitable. Earth.

As for Mars being in a habitable zone, it doesn't seem likely given the history of the planet.
http://cseligman.com/text/ssevolve/atmosphereevol.htm

A similar thing might have happened on Mars, as well. Nowadays, Mars cannot have liquid water on the surface, except under very rare circumstances, because the atmospheric pressure is so low that at any temperature much above the freezing point, it would simply boil away into the atmosphere. ... In fact, conditions might have been very similar to present-day Earth-like conditions. It is not possible that Mars can have had such conditions recently, because its surface has large numbers of relatively ancient craters, which indicate that hardly any weathering and erosion, and relatively little geological activity, has taken place in Mars for the best part of four billion years, ...
Of course, if Mars did once have oceans, ... Over time, the atmosphere would have become thinner and thinner, but whereas, in the case of the Earth, the carbon dioxide would have been almost completely removed, because, being closer to the Sun, ...at Mars' greater distance from the Sun, the loss of the carbon dioxide would have removed the greenhouse effect that kept it warm, and at some point, the oceans would have frozen, and the removal of carbon dioxide would have come to an end, leaving at least the thin atmosphere that we currently see.
Whether this is actually true is not known. If it is true, then Mars should have large amounts of frozen water either near, or somewhere below, its surface, ...

So no atmosphere and no possibility of life for the last 4 billion years. With a solar system 4.5 billion years old, that doesn't leave enough time for life to have ever developed there.

And some news about another exoplanet, GJ 436b. Neptune size, it was expected to have large amounts of methane and very little CO2 in it's atmosphere. Observation shows the opposite. They say they now have to find a new model for predicting planetary atmospheres and how they form.
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/alien-planet-weird-atmosphere-100421.html

Apparently our latest knowledge of planetary formation just isn't good enough.

xXx Natla xXx
15-05-10, 22:31
To me it would be a rather stupid idea to believe that we are the only life out there, but... I think whatever is alive out there is NOTHING like us. Whether that be good or bad, I have no idea, but.

RockSteady101
15-05-10, 22:32
Well there's us, isn't there? If we're here then surely there's others of a similair nature somewhere out there!

WSOwen02
15-05-10, 23:34
It's not likely but even if there is or ever was, we will never meet them. It is in the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself and will do so long before it achieves interstellar travel.

Paddy
16-05-10, 00:44
nope.of course I don't believe in it! lmao
I see what you did there.

Gladous
16-05-10, 01:22
I believe that there are other kinds of life forms on other planets. It might be aliens or it might not.

But I don't believe humans and animals were the only beings put on this universe.

So many theories! :jmp:

Gregori
16-05-10, 01:24
What do you imagine aliens look like?

Gladous
16-05-10, 01:26
What do you imagine aliens look like?

I don't think they look like what Hollywood makes them up to be. I think they could be different forms, sizes, colors, etc. Just like humans are because no one is the same.

Trfansince1996
16-05-10, 01:26
I believe that there are other kinds of life forms on other planets. It might be aliens or it might not.

But I don't believe humans were the only beings put on this universe.

They WOULD be aliens. Theyre not from this planet, hence outsiders, aliens. If u meant green weird looking creatures, then ur right.

TRhalloween
16-05-10, 01:28
But I don't believe humans were the only beings put on this universe.

We also have animals . lmao. :p

Gladous
16-05-10, 01:29
They WOULD be aliens. Theyre not from this planet, hence outsiders, aliens. If u meant green weird looking creatures, then ur right.

That's what I meant. :ton:

We also have animals . lmao. :p

I know but we're technically all animals. ;)

TRhalloween
16-05-10, 01:33
That's what I meant. :ton:

I know but we're technically all animals. ;)

Yeah but you said "But I don't believe humans were the only beings put on this universe." We're not the only beings, we have other animals :p

TRfan23
16-05-10, 01:33
Actually the word Alien means 'Unknown' ;) I think?

So you could say, this program is Alien to me :)

Gladous
16-05-10, 01:35
Yeah but you said "But I don't believe humans were the only beings put on this universe." We're not the only beings, we have other animals :p
Oooh, I get you now. Yeah, of course animals! Let me go edit that post. :p

So you could say, this program is Alien to me :)

Very true. Heck, I even believe that there are ghosts on Earth!

Gregori
16-05-10, 01:39
I think Aliens look like fish or spiders....

Draco
16-05-10, 02:14
I don't think they look like what Hollywood makes them up to be. I think they could be different forms, sizes, colors, etc. Just like humans are because no one is the same.

Well Hollywood has come up with aliens to cover nearly every possibility.

There is something to consider though, if we were engineered, than chances are it was either an advanced alien race or a supernatural entity with a plan.

In either scenario, this planet being the only one in the entire universe to have life on it is only slightly myopic.

Many of you may recall that I put forward the idea that humans were not originally from earth at all, but most everyone claimed that was ludicrous because they can't imagine it being possible.

Such is the problem with the unknown, the vast majority of us consider it impossible or improbable to endorse an idea that challenges the fabric of the reality to which we are accustomed, a reality where the truth is that we are alone on a world with billions of other people just like us.

One thing is for sure though, when we meet our peers, the human race will change... for the better or the worse.

Drone
16-05-10, 07:15

Makes sense :) I wonder if other kind of life also consists of amino acids, dna, rna and needs water and oxy to exist then would it look like life on Earth ....

CerebralAssassin
16-05-10, 07:22
I see what you did there.

lol.can't trick the trickster!:p

Lara Croft!
16-05-10, 11:11
Since the universe is said to be infinite
our galaxy is a tiny part of it
and our planet a tiny part of our galaxy
.....I believe that there is life in other galaxies.

In a galaxy far far away....

Drone
16-05-10, 12:29
Since the universe is said to be infinite
Not necessary. It's limitless but endless universe. Not infinite but endless. The universe is expanding and that's for sure. It's like blowing into a balloon :D

Draco
16-05-10, 15:37
Well the universe encompassing everything effectively makes it infinite. Granted there could be more than one universe.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-05-10, 16:23
We cant be the only planet with life in the whole of 'space'. I doubt we'll ever find life though, it'll be too far away where there is another planet with the same conditions as ours.

Gregori
16-05-10, 19:33
I wonder if alien life floats :)

CerebralAssassin
16-05-10, 20:20
I wonder if alien life floats :)

yeah..there must be space creatures out there too :p

toxicraider
16-05-10, 20:32
I think it's certainly possible; a lot of people compare the thought of 'aliens' to ghosts or supernatural beings, when I don't think the idea is nearly as far fetched at those.
All the chemicals needed for life already exist, so could presumably exist on another planet, and the universe is so large, that there could still be a few systems with the right conditions for life. I don't know if we'll ever find these planets, and don't really think we should bother, if I'm honest.

Gregori
17-05-10, 18:05
I'm willing to bet that there is life elsewhere in this solar system :)

Drone
08-06-10, 09:11
Maybe on Saturn's moon :pi: At least they said so :whi:

It looks like Europa is not the only moon in the solar system that could harbor life. NASA's Cassini spacecraft has discovered a possible sign of life on Saturn's largest moon Titan, according to New Scientist.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19005-hints-of-life-found-on-saturn-moon.html

http://www.gearlog.com/NASA_Saturn_Titan.jpg

ryan91
08-06-10, 09:42
http://www.hizliupload.com/img/242724Basliksiz-1.JPG

aktrekker
09-06-10, 00:32
If you read the article, it is actually the absence of evidence that suggests the possibility. It is totally a media headline.

Chocola teapot
09-06-10, 00:36
As I've previously stated:

Absolutely.

Tommy123
09-06-10, 01:12
i believe 100%

scremanie
09-06-10, 01:32
Yeah, I think so.

I don't think we're the only planet with life on it. I mean.. its just hard to believe that we're the only one.

Niveus
09-06-10, 01:53
For me, I completely believe that there is life as intelligent as us. Probably too far to ever reach it these next few millenia, but yes, I believe so.
In films we are often depicted as power-hungry, resource-consuming and almost virus like. I sometimes wonder if perhaps we are very lucky to be where we are now, looking at how metastable our planet is... I think that it is also likely we have just a universe of bacteria and things.
-----
Please just ignore this. This forum needs a sandbox. >.>
-----

robm_2007
09-06-10, 01:56
of course there is. hasnt anyone heards of the Planet of the Apes?

LaraLuvrrr
09-06-10, 03:01
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g187/agg188/kristen_wiig-1.jpg

aktrekker
09-06-10, 03:48
of course there is. hasnt anyone heards of the Planet of the Apes?

You do realize that happened on Earth don't you?

Admles
09-06-10, 04:14
+1 :)

CiaKonwerski
13-07-10, 18:32
What do you all think?
http://hot.aol.com/2010/07/13/paging-mulder-and-scully-to-china/?icid=main|main|dl8|link2|http://hot.aol.com/2010/07/13/paging-mulder-and-scully-to-china/

Agent 47
13-07-10, 18:49
What do you all think?
http://hot.aol.com/2010/07/13/paging-mulder-and-scully-to-china/?icid=main|main|dl8|link2|http://hot.aol.com/2010/07/13/paging-mulder-and-scully-to-china/

having watched the clip, it's clear Cpt Kirk just blew up the Enterprise therefore saving her from Klingon capture. What we saw was the ship burning up in orbit :D

Seriously, looks like a comet to me or random space debris.

Alpharaider47
13-07-10, 18:51
having watched the clip, it's clear Cpt Kirk just blew up the Enterprise therefore saving her from Klingon capture. What we saw was the ship burning up in orbit :D

Seriously, looks like a comet to me or random space debris.

It's alright, The Enterprise A is waiting for him :p

Looked interesting, but I'm really not convinced that it's a UFO in that sense. Like you said, probably a comet or debris.

TR-Freak
13-07-10, 18:52
Of course is life out there.
We human are too foolish to life alone in the universe

Agent 47
13-07-10, 19:07
It's alright, The Enterprise A is waiting for him :p

Looked interesting, but I'm really not convinced that it's a UFO in that sense. Like you said, probably a comet or debris.

ah! yes so it is, not the "bucket of bolts" Excelsior :D

Was good footage though, i haven't seen much daytime footage of comets before but that's what it looks like, However i'll prep my tin foil hat just in case :vlol:

I think most UFO sightings are experimental military planes at very high altitude, like the USAF Stealth Bomber :D

larafan25
13-07-10, 19:14
You do realize that happened on Earth don't you?

LMAO that's what I was thinking.:0

StefanJ94
13-07-10, 19:17
Yes :)

larafan25
13-07-10, 19:22
By life, we mean anything living right? So like plants?:)

thecentaur
13-07-10, 19:25
I believe there's life on other planets. Otherwise, it's just a waste of space around us....

aktrekker
13-07-10, 19:27
Why do you think it's a waste? Why does it have to serve any purpose at all?

larafan25
13-07-10, 19:29
Why do you think it's a waste? Why does it have to serve any purpose at all?

Perhaps some day we are supposed to give it a purpose.

thecentaur
13-07-10, 19:29
I guess it stems from the idea that humans are kind of alone in this whole intelligent life-form thing. Just imagining that there's no other species to contact us outside of Earth... It gives me a lonely feeling inside :/

larafan25
13-07-10, 19:31
I guess it stems from the idea that humans are kind of alone in this whole intelligent life-form thing. Just imagining that there's no other species to contact us outside of Earth... It gives me a lonely feeling inside :/

Well....there are foxes, deer, dogs, cats, ants, bees, chickens, bears, zebras, turtles, whales, dolphines, and so much more on this planet. Who's to say that if there are some life forms on other planets that we will have a way of communicating with them. It would stil be lonely.

Thrall
13-07-10, 19:38
Isn't there a form of bacteria on Mars? I mean, they found signs of water on that planet.

Really, the red planet is possibly the best bet for still having some small signs of life on it.

CiaKonwerski
13-07-10, 19:39
I have a strong belief of life on other planets. Other people, animals etc, maybe even an alternate universe. I mean space is never ending, there has to be something else out there besides just us.

larafan25
13-07-10, 19:40
Isn't there a form of bacteria on Mars? I mean, they found signs of water on that planet.

Really, the red planet is possibly the best bet for still having some small signs of life on it.

^That is true...even if it doesn't ,maybe ther is a way to create life or give life, by planting...(I don't know much about planets:p).

Catracoth
13-07-10, 19:41
Well, considering that The Fourth Kind wasn't a real story, I don't know what I believe. There's probably a group of hamsters on Jupiter or something though.

Biddy
13-07-10, 21:02
Well, considering that The Fourth Kind wasn't a real story, I don't know what I believe. There's probably a group of hamsters on Jupiter or something though.

:vlol: I want one!

I'm not sure what to believe on the beyond-human-life idea. We are occupying a teensy percentage of the universe and the idea of us being alone just makes the rest seem terribly wasted on us. :D

aktrekker
13-07-10, 21:11
Again I ask, how is it wasted? Why does it have to have any purpose other than it simply exists? It doesn't have to exist for anything.

lara c. fan
13-07-10, 21:12
Again I ask, how is it wasted? Why does it have to have any purpose other than it simply exists? It doesn't have to exist for anything.

Then why does it exist?

Squibbly
13-07-10, 21:12
If we consider how immensely vast the universe is (some theorize it may even be infinite), it would be foolish to believe Earth could be the only planet able to sustain life.

We are very insignificant when you think about it. I absolutely believe there is other life out there. Tonnes of it.

Catracoth
13-07-10, 21:20
:vlol: I want one!

I do too :pi:.

TR-Freak
13-07-10, 22:08
Here is the Proof! Aliens do exist;
http://npshare.de/files/2e5aa713/137988-furby.jpg

aktrekker
13-07-10, 22:58
Then why does it exist?
The ultimate question :p
Why would it not exist?

Why does the earth exist? Why do we exist? Why does anything exist?

It does exist. But it doesn't have to serve any purpose except to be there. Why would the universe care if there is no life to see it or ponder its existence?

lara c. fan
13-07-10, 23:02
Why would it not exist?

It does exist. But it doesn't have to serve any purpose except to be there. Why would the universe care if there is no life to see it or ponder its existence?

Everything in reality is made with a purpose, to go all wishy-washy on you.

touchthesky
13-07-10, 23:28
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Little-Green-Men-toy-story-478711_800_600.jpg

Alpharaider47
13-07-10, 23:57
Why would it not exist?

According to Douglas Adams - Forty-Two

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Little-Green-Men-toy-story-478711_800_600.jpg[/IMG]

The claw is their master...

I think I stated this earlier, and a lot of other people have said roughly the same thing, but what are the odds that in all of this, this universe, we're it?

robm_2007
13-07-10, 23:59
perhaps we are the life on the other planet.

:eek:

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:02

OMG NO WAY!

Well technically, it's like that thought everyone has once in a while...you know...

"Am I the main character of this story, does the world revolve around me?"

Perhaps this is how humans are ebing, it's quite possible that there are other beings outside of earth.

spunkification
14-07-10, 00:06
Correct me if i am wrong, but didn't they examine a rock on mars and find microscopic life?

StefanJ94
14-07-10, 00:06

The possibility is almost none that another planet would evolve the same as on Earth :)

Lara Fan 4Life
14-07-10, 00:07
^ Yep!

aktrekker
14-07-10, 00:11
How about this:

We are from somewhere else. We settled here so long ago we forgot we came from somewhere else. We really don't belong here. That's why we're so different from everything else, can't communicate with the other creatures on the planet, and can't seem to fit into the ecology of the planet.
As we make the planet less habitable our lifespan is increasing. We are unknowingly terraforming Earth into a suitable habitat for who we really are. Once it is ready, the rest of us will come to Earth to live.

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:14
^WOW that is such an interesting theory.

I almost want to believe it.:)

Could explain the technologically advanced egyptian hyroglyphs...

MiCkiZ88
14-07-10, 00:17
How about this:

We are from somewhere else. We settled here so long ago we forgot we came from somewhere else. We really don't belong here. That's why we're so different from everything else, can't communicate with the other creatures on the planet, and can't seem to fit into the ecology of the planet.
As we make the planet less habitable our lifespan is increasing. We are unknowingly terraforming Earth into a suitable habitat for who we really are. Once it is ready, the rest of us will come to Earth to live.
By far the most interesting theory I have heard of. Might explain some of the strange symbols/statues/figures we have all around the world.

Maybe the God's as we call them are just our ancestors who either have faded, in other words died, or are just manipulating our world with different means now.

dizzydoil
14-07-10, 00:18
How about this:

That's beautiful, and it is something I have considered before. Would make an epic block-buster. :D

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:20
By far the most interesting theory I have heard of. Might explain some of the strange symbols/statues/figures we have all around the world.

Maybe the God's as we call them are just our ancestors who either have faded, in other words died, or are just manipulating our world with different means now.

This makes me believe in Gods....Awesome, if this was true it would be soooo worth persuing.

Perhaps there are ancestors monitering us from another planet using super advanced technology.

dizzydoil
14-07-10, 00:22
http://www.alienshift.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/EgyptAliens.jpg

:cln:

MiCkiZ88
14-07-10, 00:23
Wouldn't call it advanced technology, just being amongst us in societies like the Illuminati and crap like that. I just love making up different theories.

dizzydoil
14-07-10, 00:25
http://www.alienshift.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/egypt3dwall.jpeg

That's creepy. I spot a helicopter, and some typical-UFO's. Where is Lara when you need her? ...

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:29
http://www.alienshift.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/egypt3dwall.jpeg

That's creepy. I spot a helicopter, and some typical-UFO's. Where is Lara when you need her? ...

INSANE sooo crazzyyy.

What to make of this right?

Either aliens
This theory
or time travel

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:31
Wouldn't call it advanced technology, just being amongst us in societies like the Illuminati and crap like that. I just love making up different theories.

I enjoy these theories too.

I like to wear running shoes incase the end of the world happens, you know?:p

Soo excited for 2012.

edit: Ahhh double posted, sooo sorry I was on MSN and things got hectic, I swear, never again.:o

StefanJ94
14-07-10, 00:35
Soo excited for 2012.
And I thought I was the only one :D

dizzydoil
14-07-10, 00:36
INSANE sooo crazzyyy.

What to make of this right?

Either aliens
This theory
or time travel
I'm researching about the image now and a group entitled 'fringe science network' have been studying the hieroglyphs for authenticity and they have came up with this NASA / EGYPTIAN thing. It's pretty cool, and pretty accurate to- but I'm just looking at all this as fun, as I'm assuming if something so concrete as 20th century helicopters on egyptians hieroglyphs didn't make the news then it can't be real, or important, or something.

You'll have to click here (http://www.lvl39.com/images/thread-images/visitors_egypt_sumeria_abydos.jpg) to view it (since it's so large).

larafan25
14-07-10, 00:48
I'm researching about the image now and a group entitled 'fringe science network' have been studying the hieroglyphs for authenticity and they have came up with this NASA / EGYPTIAN thing. It's pretty cool, and pretty accurate to- but I'm just looking at all this as fun, as I'm assuming if something so concrete as 20th century helicopters on egyptians hieroglyphs didn't make the news then it can't be real, or important, or something.

You'll have to click here (http://www.lvl39.com/images/thread-images/visitors_egypt_sumeria_abydos.jpg) to view it (since it's so large).

Sweet I'll check it out.:)

Alpharaider47
14-07-10, 00:50
And I thought I was the only one :D

Nope lol, I'm looking forward to seeing if anything actually happens, though i really doubt it. *fingers crossed for zombie apocalypse*

CiaKonwerski
14-07-10, 00:52

Noooooo! Sumerian Aliens do exist. I know it! They knock on my window each night. Noooooooo

Alpharaider47
14-07-10, 00:56

I actually saw this on a show on the History Channel. They showed a bunch of stuff that people are interpreting as evidence of extraterrestrials visiting Earth. Until any of it gets dated and all though (specifically the hieroglyphs) I'm not gonna be fully convinced. It's very odd though isn't it?

robm_2007
14-07-10, 00:57
OMG NO WAY!

Well technically, it's like that thought everyone has once in a while...you know...

"Am I the main character of this story, does the world revolve around me?"

that reminds me of The Truman Show:p

The possibility is almost none that another planet would evolve the same as on Earth :)

i meant that perhaps us Earth people are the one who are the "Life on other planets"; maybe we are the ones that werent here first in the universe.

larafan25
14-07-10, 01:24
^It;s quite possible that we weren't the first.:)

Wait...the big bang... hmm...:/

robm_2007
14-07-10, 01:27
maybe the Big Bang was when a planet got exploded by Darth Vader. there were some people in Escape Pods on this planet, who survived the explosion. Then, these survivors drifted for 50 or so years, while still procreating, and they landed on Earth and began to start the human life on Earth. There were what were consider Aliens on this planet, and we killed them all off and took over.

:cool:

StefanJ94
14-07-10, 01:29
i meant that perhaps us Earth people are the one who are the "Life on other planets"; maybe we are the ones that werent here first in the universe.
All I know is that possibilities are endless for that matter :)

larafan25
14-07-10, 01:30
maybe the Big Bang was when a planet got exploded by Darth Vader. there were some people in Escape Pods on this planet, who survived the explosion. Then, these survivors drifted for 50 or so years, while still procreating, and they landed on Earth and began to start the human life on Earth. There were what were consider Aliens on this planet, and we killed them all off and took over.

:cool:

This is all so possible. Imagine if we are the enemies or aliens..wow.:O

I wonder who we replaced if this is the case, creatures that sat in the same spot in the food chain...?

aktrekker
14-07-10, 02:04
Sorry to have to point this out but.....

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/aktrekker/egypt3dwall.jpg
Just sarcophagi. Nothing strange there.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/aktrekker/EgyptAliens.jpg
You can see the Pharaohs headdress hanging around the thread. As for the thin face, the pharaoh is supposed to be the representation of a god on earth. So they would be made to look more like the god they are supposed to be. Nothing alien here.

thecentaur
14-07-10, 02:42

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/aktrekker/egypt3dwall.jpg

So The Fourth Kind LIED to me? D:

Alpharaider47
14-07-10, 03:31

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/aktrekker/egypt3dwall.jpg[/img]

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/aktrekker/EgyptAliens.jpg[/img]
You can see the Pharaohs headdress hanging around the thread. As for the thin face, the pharaoh is supposed to be the representation of a god on earth. So they would be made to look more like the god they are supposed to be. Nothing alien here.

Hmm that works too. Never ceases to amaze me what people see in things though. I guess we find what we want to see when we look at things. I suppose it's open to interpretation. Interesting either way you look at it.

Tonyrobinson
14-07-10, 03:39
It's a tricky because although there is no proof to it there isn't anything to say theres not I mean we know there is air but we can't feel it.

Lara Croft!
14-07-10, 13:15
The universe is endless and we're expecting we're the only breathing planet around? I think not.