PDA

View Full Version : Why is something "impossible"?

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:16
So this is something that's really been bugging me lately. If I'm talking with someone about something unusual, like, say, the Bermuda Triangle, 9/10 times they immediately pass it off as fake, a hoax, not real, etc. When I ask why they give me some variation of "It's not possible." But I ask you, why not? Why do we consider things impossible? Is it just because we can't understand them? Do you really think our puny 2lbs human brains can being to understand everything on our own planet, let alone the universe? If so, that's just plain arrogant. Or maybe do we view things as impossible because that's just the way everyone else thinks, and if we don't think the same then we're "ignorant" or "uneducated". What do you think?

Apathetic
14-05-10, 00:17
Why do we consider things impossible?
It's impossible to swallow a TV. :p

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:19
that's not what I mean. I'm referring more to what we would consider the supernatural or unexplained. In today's society it's considered rational and scientific to not believe in any of that stuff. Why?

Gregori
14-05-10, 00:20
Its not impossbile to swallow a tv...... just very inadvisable...

laralover_07
We want to believe that we are supreme and that the universe revolves around us. We choose to deny these amazing, wonderful things we are yet to discover because it makes us feel small and pointless. That's how I see it anyways. :)

silver_wolf
Its not impossbile to swallow a tv...... just very inadvisable...
true.
We want to believe that we are supreme and that the universe revolves around us. We choose to deny these amazing, wonderful things we are yet to discover because it makes us feel small and pointless. That's how I see it anyways. :)
I think that's the main thing. Humanity has self-esteem problems, so we overcompensate. Anything our awesome incredible minds can't explain then simply must not be true.

]{eith
14-05-10, 00:22
I guess what we don't understand frightens us and it can be easier to shut out the possibility when we don't have proof.

Shauni
14-05-10, 00:22
Well some things are actually impossible. lol. But uhmm.. I think when it comes to religion or some sort of mysterious subjects, people say it's "impossible" because there is no proof to prove or disprove such a thing ever happened. That sort of thing. It's just simply an opinion of that person, and I honestly wouldn't spend much time worrying about it if your opinion is different than theirs.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:25
But that's another thing. We've become so content with this whole "relative truth" thing. People say there is no absolute truth, but that in itself is an assertion of absolute truth, so it's contradictory. There's always one final, absolute answer, and it doesn't matter if you believe otherwise. 2+2 still equals 4, even if you prefer 6. This whole tolerant, "feel good" mind set the world is stuck in is doing more harm than good.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 00:26
Two plus two does equal six though. ;)

Apathetic
14-05-10, 00:26
that's not what I mean. I'm referring more to what we would consider the supernatural or unexplained. In today's society it's considered rational and scientific to not believe in any of that stuff. Why?

The Bermuda Triangle is quite a mystery, as you'd imagine. There are plenty of theories out there on why or how those strange events occurred but nothing is really legit. And so now you have media and random speculation about it and since not much can be proven, people would just naturally pass it off as a hoax. I'm sure people want to believe stuff, but lack of proof sometimes is just too significant.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:28
Two plus two does equal six though.
Sure, if what I call 4 you call 6, but it's still the same thing, just under a different name.
The Bermuda Triangle is quite a mystery, as you'd imagine. There are plenty of theories out there about it but nothing is really legit. And so now you have media and random speculation about it and since not much can be proven, people would just naturally pass it off as a hoax. I'm sure people want to believe stuff, but lack of proof sometimes is just too significant.
Lack of proof? Thousands of ships and planes have dissapeared in the area, what more proof do you need? I think people these days get "proof" mixed up with "a theory that makes sense". There's proof for a lot of things, but not a lot of good explanations. That's why people pass it off.

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:29
Sure, if what I call 4 you call 6, but it's still the same thing, just under a different name.

Numbers are not opinion. People don't get to perceive numbers as they please. That's ridiculous. Those people would be idiots, IMO.

Shauni
14-05-10, 00:31
But that's another thing. We've become so content with this whole "relative truth" thing. People say there is no absolute truth, but that in itself is an assertion of absolute truth, so it's contradictory. There's always one final, absolute answer, and it doesn't matter if you believe otherwise. 2+2 still equals 4, even if you prefer 6. This whole tolerant, "feel good" mind set the world is stuck in is doing more harm than good.
I think there is a true answer to everything we wonder about, but with these things like religion, people don't actually know the answer. So the best we can do is guess, and believe in it or disagree with it. It's as simple as that really, imo.

silver_wolf
14-05-10, 00:31
Numbers are not opinion. People don't get to perceive numbers as they please. That's ridiculous. Those people would be idiots, IMO.
Exactly. Why should the real world be any different? It operates by rules just like math, only we don't understand all the rules yet.

larafan25
14-05-10, 00:32
Two plus two does equal six though. ;)

It's true.

2 3's + 2 3's = 6

Anywho, I try not to deem things impossible, untill proven otherwise.:)

Apathetic
14-05-10, 00:33

Lack of proof? Thousands of ships and planes have dissapeared in the area, what more proof do you need? I think people these days get "proof" mixed up with "a theory that makes sense". There's proof for a lot of things, but not a
lot of good explanations. That's why people pass it off.

I meant lack of proof as to why those events have occured. :)

AmericanAssassin
14-05-10, 00:35
Exactly. Why should the real world be any different? It operates by rules just like math, only we don't understand all the rules yet.

I don't think we've scratched the surface on what's possible yet. I think we agree on the matter. Think about all of the things we have that people during (example:) the Crusades would have thought impossible. So cool. :D

CiaKonwerski
14-05-10, 00:46
Obviously some things in this world are just going to be impossible. Is it impossible for men to have babies. Most of the times, it is just "something" that is impossible to do. However, many things such as weird phenomenons and such really cannot be deemed as impossible or fake, or not real, seeing that no one really knows for sure. I personally believe in life on other planets, I believe that there is a bigfoot, I believe that there is a lochnus monster, etc.etc. These things have not been ruled out as officially not real, many people may not think so, but they cannot say for sure. It is all a matter of opinion really. My opinion is that some things just are impossible, and some things are not. Simple as that.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 01:26
Well this thread wasn't quite what I was expecting but I'll post this anyways-
If you think something is impossible, then it becomes impossible for you.

I think some of what we consider to be impossible are things that we don't understand, and thus we think that it can't be real, or we don't want to accept the fact that it might be possible.

Mr.Burns
14-05-10, 01:33
What we deem as impossible in most cases is a result of a lack of knowledge. Just because based on our current knowledge of physics, faster than light travel has been deemed impossible, it doesn't mean that in the future, as our knowledge increases, we won't find a deeper understanding of physics and thereby find a way to travel faster than light.

Mikky
14-05-10, 04:39
I'm REALLY open minded when it come to stuff that some people believe to be ''impossible''.
I believe in ghosts and aliens and all that stuff.

Gregori
14-05-10, 04:40
I'm REALLY open minded when it come to stuff that some people believe to be ''impossible''.
I believe in ghosts and aliens and all that stuff.

I wonder, do Aliens have ghosts?

Mikky
14-05-10, 04:45
I wonder, do Aliens have ghosts?

Very good question! :tmb:
Unfortunetly, I don't have the answer. :pi:

QiX
14-05-10, 04:47

Assuming this, impossible is when someone says something that goes against the rules we already know ;)

Draco
14-05-10, 05:11
Nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

Drone
14-05-10, 05:20
who knows maybe even speed of light can be excelled

Tyrannosaurus
14-05-10, 06:15
So this is something that's really been bugging me lately. If I'm talking with someone about something unusual, like, say, the Bermuda Triangle, 9/10 times they immediately pass it off as fake, a hoax, not real, etc. When I ask why they give me some variation of "It's not possible." But I ask you, why not? Why do we consider things impossible? Is it just because we can't understand them? Do you really think our puny 2lbs human brains can being to understand everything on our own planet, let alone the universe? If so, that's just plain arrogant. Or maybe do we view things as impossible because that's just the way everyone else thinks, and if we don't think the same then we're "ignorant" or "uneducated". What do you think?

Personally, I think it's incredibly pretentious to label yourself as "rational" because you don't believe in God or the supernatural or whatever. However, none of this means that the lore surrounding many supposedly unsolved mysteries is correct either. While I never call anything impossible, there are a lot things I can reasonably dismiss. I prefer to take them one at a time.

Here's Cracked.com's take on the Bermuda Triangle which nicely explains why we shouldn't take it seriously (scroll down):

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions_p2.html

Ikas90
14-05-10, 10:09
Absolutely anything is possible. Just not plausible.

silviu_raider
14-05-10, 11:52
I think people see at as impossible because there's no logical explanation for a specific phenomenon.
However, I look beyond science and tend to believe that there's more than our understanding, or that we don't have the necessary knowledge, or understanding of some things that occur.

almayah
14-05-10, 11:52
It's impossible for me to like Legend :rolleyes:

igonge
14-05-10, 11:55
This thread is giving me a headache :p

MangelinaJolie
14-05-10, 11:59
When people become accustomed to logic and reason their minds tend to find difficulty in straying from that. Interesting, because we just finished reading Lord of the Flies in class, and this is a particular aspect that pertains to Piggy. Obviously this flaw in him led to quite a downfall. :p

TRLegendLuver
14-05-10, 12:00
I understand completely when you refer to the Bermuda triangle. I've been studying oceanography, and marine biology, and its very foolish to say that the Bermuda triangle is a fake. What people don't know, is that are other "bermuda" triangles around the world.

irjudd
14-05-10, 12:48
It comes down to arrogance. An unwillingness to accept alternate possibilities, an assumption that you have a greater understanding than your peers, being convinced that everyone but yourself is delusional.

peeves
14-05-10, 17:06
Well certain things are impossible let's say to juggle 22 balls for 500 catches that's impossible and other things are impossible too like to see in color and black and white at the same time. And it's also impossible for me to like Legend and Underworld as well.

Encore
14-05-10, 17:30

Well, there are some things which have been refuted by loads and loads of facts. Against this we can't really say much.

But, there's also some things which haven't (or that there's just a handful of theories contradicting it, not proven either). And for those, I think it's too "small minded" of us to immediately call it "impossible". We just haven't found enough proof for them yet. But nothing says we won't.

There's a lot of examples in History to illustrate this too, starting with the greek scientists who set hypothesis to explain the behaviour of numerous things in Nature, without having any technological means to prove them. I'm sure plenty of people back then said it was impossible for the Earth to be round, or for everything to be made out of invisible particles, or for the Earth to move around the Sun.

Then, there were the Renaissance men who seemed to just not take no for an answer. The man that designed the Duomo in Florence, when he realized there were no mechanisms that could possibly lift the stones to build the Dome... he invented the machines himself.

I imagine people must have laughed at so many things that today are known to be a fact. Jules Verne's books are full of insane ideas, yet some of them came true.

What do you think we would have missed in human development so far, if all the visionaries in human history had believed things were impossible??

[/2 cents]
[/over the top post]

Chocola teapot
14-05-10, 17:42
It's impossible to unscrew your head, throw it up into the air, catch it and place it back on.

There are things which just can't happen.