PDA

View Full Version : Music...from a poets perspective

Solice
14-05-10, 02:11
As a poet, we try to create a visualization for the reader. Musician sometimes do the same thing. The ones that can are truly talented.

I heared this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM) A story of a long journey, and very visual.:cool:

spikejones
14-05-10, 02:27
please dont tell me that you've only just heard this song :yik:
It's an oldie but a goodie :). I'd post one myself but its not forum friendly. oh well

anniversarytr11
14-05-10, 08:35
not all poems are about a visual story, alot are about emotions etc, I think lady gaga is a very talented lyric writer, speechless has some very metaphorcial lines that gives some strange images, 'cigerette stained life', although she does the visual story as well like in monster 'we french kissed in the subway train, he tore my clothes right off, he ate my heart and then he ate my brain'.

irjudd
14-05-10, 11:07
Most of the time I think people give too much credit to songwriters. It's very, very rare for song lyrics to have some artful 'meaning' behind them.

igonge
14-05-10, 11:11
It's very, very rare for song lyrics to have some artful 'meaning' behind them.

'we french kissed in the subway train, he tore my clothes right off, he ate my heart and then he ate my brain'.

How artful :rolleyes: lulz

silviu_raider
14-05-10, 11:14
Of course there are some people that write fantastic lyrics, like a story or something you can visualize, but I don't think, and I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, that Lady GaGa is a "poet/songwriter".
The ability to write something metaphorical, something deep, or something that only "some" people can "decrypt" the message is something pretty rare and not everyone has that special "power".

igonge
14-05-10, 11:15
Of course there are some people that write fantastic lyrics, like a story or something you can visualize, but I don't think, and I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, that Lady GaGa is a "poet/songwriter".

Agreed

TheBloodRed
14-05-10, 11:26
Don't get me started on the whole "Lady Gaga is an Illuminati Puppet (http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=1676)" conspiracy. :cln:

Song lyrics are just like poems. They have meaning and/or a reason to be written. I remember an assignment in middle school where we had to analyze "poems" that were in fact song lyrics of our choosing. :p

Dina_Croft
14-05-10, 12:03
The ability to write something metaphorical, something deep, or something that only "some" people can "decrypt" the message is something pretty rare and not everyone has that special "power".

I agree. Not just with the Lady GaGa part. I really focus on a song's lyrics to tell whether it's good or not.

miss.haggard
14-05-10, 14:30
In music today, I think lyrics and the story they tell can be greatly underrated, or pushed second next to a "sick beat." I feel artists these days don't put much effort to create meaningful lyrics, and instead focus effort on the music perspective. Which of course isn't a bad thing, but there should be a good balance.

Dennis's Mom
14-05-10, 17:08
OMG--you just discovered America?

Ventura Highway FTW. My husband plays this. I break international treaty and sing. :D
KnhKcCwZwl8

I love Counting Crows for their lyrics. Adam Duritz is a genius IMO.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 17:10
I agree. Not just with the Lady GaGa part. I really focus on a song's lyrics to tell whether it's good or not.

I tend to focus more on the, y'know, music :p Melody and that kind of stuff. Good lyrics are a nice bonus, but if you want fancy words go read some Nabokov, not listen to 30STM :p

Encore
14-05-10, 17:16
Good lyrics are a good thing, but they're certainly not the major reason for me to like a music. Specially considering I'm a huge fan of electronic artists. ;)

Lara Fan 4Life
14-05-10, 17:21
I find Lady Gaga's lyrics about wanting to ride someone's ''disco stick'' truely inspirational! :D

anniversarytr11
14-05-10, 18:17
well technically not a poet but its fact that she is a songwriter lol

songs are a form of poem

I want your drama
the touch of your hand
i want your leather studded
kiss in the sand

I want your psycho
your vertigo shtick
want you in my rear window
baby youre sick

how is that not a poem?
heres a love 'poem' publiched...

My love is as a fever, longing still
For that which longer nurseth the disease,
Feeding on that which doth preserve the ill,
Th' uncertain sickly appetite to please.
My reason, the physician to my love,
Angry that his prescriptions are not kept,
Hath left me, and I desperate now approve
Desire is death, which physic did except.
Past cure I am, now reason is past care,
And frantic-mad with evermore unrest;
My thoughts and my discourse as mad men's are,
At random from the truth vainly expressed.
For I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright,
Who art as black as hell, as dark as night.

Drone
14-05-10, 18:26
I never listen to instrumental tracks, so it seems lyrics will always be important for me.

TRhalloween
14-05-10, 18:28
Lyrics are very important to me. The melody as well, but lyrics can really make a melody what it is.

larafan25
14-05-10, 18:36
As a poet, we try to create a visualization for the reader. Musician sometimes do the same thing. The ones that can are truly talented.

I heared this song. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM) A story of a long journey, and very visual.:cool:

How fantastically strange, I opened this thread and read your post and right away I thought of this song.

It is very visual isn't it.:)

edit: I think alot of people get subject matter confused with whether it's good or not.

One person preffers a poem about life and death over a poem about love.

Alive_and_Funky
14-05-10, 18:41
I remember reading an article once about someone saying that they believe that Morrissey will go down in history along with Wordsworth and other famous poets. Here are some of his lyrics:

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head

Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed

It's not your birthday anymore
there's no need to be kind to you
and the will to see you smile and belong has now gone
It's not your birthday anymore
did you really think we meant
all those syrupy, sentimental
things that we said yesterday?

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes in to us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

:D

anniversarytr11
14-05-10, 18:45
i think these lyrics are very poetic...

How can you see into my eyes
like open doors.
Leading you down into my core
where I've become so numb.
Without a soul
my spirit's sleeping somewhere cold
until you find it there and lead it back home.

(Wake me up.
Wake me up inside.
I can't wake up.
Wake me up inside.
Save me.
Call my name and save me from the dark.
Wake me up.
Bid my blood to run.
I can't wake up.
Before I come undone.
Save me.
Save me from the nothing I've become.)

Now that I know what I'm without
you can't just leave me.
Breathe into me and make me real
Bring me to life.

Bring me to life.
I've been living a lie
There's nothing inside.
Bring me to life.

Frozen inside without your touch,
without your love, darling.
Only you are the life among the dead.

cant be bothered to type the rest... :pi:

TombRaiderLover
14-05-10, 18:47
It's funny that you quote those lyrics, Shaun, as I'm currently listening to There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Morrissey's witty, black-humoured lyrics are brilliant.

ace_85
14-05-10, 18:48
Truly great songwriting, like truly great prose, is about taking some aspect of human experience and rendering it in such a way that it's made instantly accessible to others. Sometimes you'll need to have felt that experience in some way yourself to be able to relate, but if the song is well-written it should make sense to you almost immediately. I know that nearly all the songs and artists that I love most have this ability.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Adam Duritz of Counting Crows can definitely write a track or two (particularly stuff from their first couple of albums). For my money, Brand New are another band who can write amazingly; some of their stuff is heartbreaking, in the best possible sense. Ultimately, I believe that what you consider to be inspired songwriting will depend on your own experiences and background.

I also dislike this notion of saying things like 'Artist X is a crap songwriter'. If the song speaks to someone, somewhere, in a language that they're relating to, it's good music. It might not be to your personal taste, but it's achieved it's purpose by getting a message across.

Dina_Croft
14-05-10, 19:30
I tend to focus more on the, y'know, music :p Melody and that kind of stuff. Good lyrics are a nice bonus, but if you want fancy words go read some Nabokov, not listen to 30STM :p

Um I think that 30STM have some great lyrics. Anyway I'm not going to discuss this because we know that you can't change my mind and neither can I.

And who said that I'm only listening to 30STM? I love MGMT, Radiohead and other bands that are awesome and have great lyrics too.

S9hw8n7RQ5A
You were a child,
crawlin' on your knees toward it.
Makin' mama so proud,
but your voice is too loud.

We like to watch you laughing.
Pickin' insects off plants.
No time to think of consequences.

Control yourself.
Take only what you need from it.
A family of trees wanting,
To be haunted.

The water is warm,
but its sending me shivers.
A baby is born,
crying out for attention.
Memories fade,
like looking through a fogged mirror
Decisions to decisions are made and not fought
But I thought,
this wouldn't hurt a lot.
I guess not.

Encore
14-05-10, 19:38
It's funny that you quote those lyrics, Shaun, as I'm currently listening to There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. Morrissey's witty, black-humoured lyrics are brilliant.

I agree!

And if a double decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side, is such a heavenly way to die!

:cln:

Dennis's Mom
14-05-10, 19:44
I think the true measure of whether song lyrics qualify as true poetry (as opposed to rhyming words) is whether they are compelling without the music.

Some songs are only compelling because of the music that accompanies them or the artist who sings them. I've always wondered how much attention people would have paid to Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles" without that great piano. Don't get me wrong, I like the song, but that piano is what makes it compelling.

Solice
14-05-10, 23:10

Sarah McLachlan has that special talent

7CbAjj80NIM