PDA

View Full Version : How can any teacher do this to a Student

Johnnay
14-05-10, 05:38
2agLnc4WMCo

http://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&um=1&q=teacher+houston&ie=UTF-8&ncl=d8SEX_aogZlAqrMqPR1M8qmvAqraM&ei=leHsS_XlL5KekQWD0f3nBg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQqgIoADAA\

this is disgusting and horrible. i cant believe a teacher would randomly bash this boy.

discuss

Mikky
14-05-10, 05:43
It's completely inappropiate to post this here. Post it in the 18 and over forum.

Hey, I just sounded like a mod there. :vlol:
But still, I'm serious.

sandygrimm
14-05-10, 05:46
You try teaching a class of insubordinate children who make a fool of you.. see if you can hold your rage.
True his one went overboard, she must of been high.
But it's not that so uncommon, just look o Youtube.

Johnnay
14-05-10, 05:46
It's completely inappropiate to post this here. Post it in the 18 and over forum.

Hey, I just sounded like a mod there. :vlol:
But still, I'm serious.

and NO. Dont tell me where i should post OK.

please continue and spam free

Tombraiderx08
14-05-10, 05:47
Um, I think its appropriate, I mean, if it was on the news :/
Anyways, its ridiculous that a teacher would do that to a student at all, and its just horrible that other teachers would stand by and let them, regardless of what they said.

Mikky
14-05-10, 05:47

What? How is that spam? I'm being serious. There are young kids here, and they shouldn't see such disturbing images.

Apathetic
14-05-10, 05:50
What the ****. -_-
Put her *****-ass in an asylum.

Johnnay
14-05-10, 05:52
What? How is that spam? I'm being serious. There are young kids here, and they shouldn't see such disturbing images.

and im pretty sure young kids have seen this in the news:)

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 05:53
This doesn't shock me in the least to be honest, this stuff goes on all the time. Its not right and obviously I think both are at fault, he must have done something to push her over the edge like that he's 12 not 6 he should know how to act by now, and she should of just known better to never hit a kid no matter what. Like I said both should be dealt with, and the school should be watched heavy for a year.

Apathetic
14-05-10, 05:54
You try teaching a class of insubordinate children who make a fool of you.. see if you can hold your rage.

It happens everyday.. You're implying that it's normal for a teacher to act this way..

Mikky
14-05-10, 05:56
and im pretty sure young kids have seen this in the news:)

If a 5 year old saw a a horror movie and saw someone being chopped up, that would be okay? And don't say it's different just because it's on the news.
How is posting this video here going to achieve anything? If you really wanna discuss, take somewhere else.

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 05:57
If a 5 year old saw a a horror movie and saw someone being chopped up, that would be okay? And don't say it's different just because it's on the news.
How is posting this video here going to achieve anything? If you really wanna discuss, take somewhere else.

Let the mods decide if this shouldn't be here.

Johnnay
14-05-10, 05:58

i rest my case:)

Mikky
14-05-10, 06:02

I agree. :)

calico25
14-05-10, 06:03
I actually spoke with a friend's fiance today who taught this kid before he was expelled from her school. According to her, the little ******* had it coming...

The kid was expelled from every school in the district and the academy where this event happened was the only place that would take him.

Johnnay
14-05-10, 06:04
I actually spoke with a friend's fiance today who taught this kid before he was expelled from her school. According to her, the little ******* had it coming...

please tell me your serious:)

*wants to hear more*

RAID
14-05-10, 06:06
I agree that the teacher should not have gone that far, but kids can really push the buttons.

Lenochka
14-05-10, 06:11
Normally I could kind of understand that she might have been pushed over the edge... but it happened at a school for children with disciplinary problems. Anyone who works there should be trained to handle situations like this.

Apathetic
14-05-10, 06:11

The kid was expelled from every school in the district and the academy where this event happened was the only place that would take him.

Makes me feel better bout' the whole thing.... :D

Little-Lara
14-05-10, 06:12
She already got fired, but some are considering giving her 5 yrs jail time to set an example.

IceColdLaraCroft
14-05-10, 06:14
Corporal punishment used to be ALLOWED in classrooms. It was complete 'ok' for teachers to smack/hit students to keep them in line.

This is out of line, but teachers also work in very bad conditions and there is NO respect from students.

Good thing I put the fear of God into my students :D :mis:

Apathetic
14-05-10, 06:20
Corporal punishment used to be ALLOWED in classrooms. It was complete 'ok' for teachers to smack/hit students to keep them in line.

This is out of line, but teachers also work in very bad conditions and there is NO respect from students.

Good thing I put the fear of God into my students :D :mis:

You what? :confused:

Tombraiderx08
14-05-10, 06:35
Normally I could kind of understand that she might have been pushed over the edge... but it happened at a school for children with disciplinary problems. Anyone who works there should be trained to handle situations like this. Yeah, not very professional at all :/

IceColdLaraCroft
14-05-10, 06:45
You what? :confused:

There are very sever punishments in my class if students violate the rules. If they are caught cheating or are guilty of plagiarism they receive and F for the term, are kicked out of the class and reported to the university. I take off a letter grade for every day that an assignment is late.

Apathetic
14-05-10, 06:49
There are very sever punishments in my class if students violate the rules. If they are caught cheating or are guilty of plagiarism they receive and F for the term, are kicked out of the class and reported to the university. I take off a letter grade for every day that an assignment is late.

You're a teacher? :eek:
But what do mean you put the fear of god into your students? :confused:
Oh, and I cheat all the time. :vlol:

sandygrimm
14-05-10, 06:49
It happens everyday.. You're implying that it's normal for a teacher to act this way..

Of course not.. I just see it every day, or often enough.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:50
It's going pretty far, but at the same time a lot of students do provoke it =/ I think that there needs to be some sort of analysis/ improvement of the system. At my old high school they weren't strict on enforcing punishment, which led to more students acting out. I think that makes it more likely for a teacher to strike a student. Granted the teacher needs to have self control, but I'd be more inclined to fault them both.

Aranara
14-05-10, 06:55
Even if you're that enraged you can't do that to a kid, I mean, that's just not human.

Alpharaider47
14-05-10, 06:58
Even if you're that enraged you can't do that to a kid, I mean, that's just not human.

In that situation yes definitely

Necromanser
14-05-10, 07:49
Not saying it's ok but anyone thought of what the kid did to make the teacher so angry? Pretty sure it was something serious. Oh and teacher beating their students (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning). isn't something new.

Paddy
14-05-10, 07:52

The irony.

Another Lara
14-05-10, 08:13
This is nothing, there was a student who got a fractured skull from a teacher hitting him repeatedly in the head with a dumbell in the UK... Teacher got let off as it was proven he'd had a break downa dn the kid couldn't remember what he had been doing to provoke the teacher beforehand as he had brain damage, but another student had caught it on her phone...

Changeling
14-05-10, 08:56
When you're in an environment where your students are giving you total disrespect and hassle the whole time, I honestly wouldn't blame her for snapping. However, it's a school for children with disciplinary problems, so she should be trained in that field as well as teaching.

I have to say that I haven't been surprised of affected by the video in any way.

almayah
14-05-10, 09:02

Kids don't have to watch it
It's their fault if they do watch it :rolleyes:

On topic: For the first time on the forums, I'm speechless :eek:

TippingWater
14-05-10, 09:07

If you can't control your rage then don't be a teacher .

Johnnay
14-05-10, 09:18
On topic: For the first time on the forums, I'm speechless :eek:

;)

Dina_Croft
14-05-10, 09:24
If a teacher did something like this to me, I would fight back no matter what. I respect my teachers but if they don't respect me , I don't respect them too.

Changeling
14-05-10, 09:54
^ Well your teacher obviously wouldn't do that to you. I personally think that the teacher in the video was severly provoked, she wouldn't of done it for no reason.

snork
14-05-10, 10:04
Funny how so many can understand the poor poor teacher, with all them kids being such pains in somewhere.

Right this.

trlestew
14-05-10, 10:05
I'm so disturbed by that video, please take it down[/Sarcasm]

The teacher shouldn'y had gone to that extent, but I believe the young boy was trying to pick a fight with an innocent retarded boy. Well that's what I heard before walking into this thread. I could be wrong.

Edit: Then there are teachers who are miserable and hate students. There's this one teacher at my school who I seriously think is bipolar.
She doesn't bother teaching properly. yells at students constantly.
And freaking yelled in my face for no reason. I asked for a marker, and she mumbles some curses under her breath and slams the marker on the table.
What the hell?!?! things like that make me not want to go to school.

irjudd
14-05-10, 10:24
It cracks me up how the video was sensationalized by replaying it 15 times to make it seem like the beating went on for an hour, then played again with various color filters to stir up more emotion in the viewer.

Rai
14-05-10, 10:55
It disgusts me that a teacher did this to as student. The fact that this boy is a student in a school for children with disiplinary problems is no excuse. If anyhting, it makes it worse as a Special Needs teacher like this should have the training and know better. Whatever this boy did, the teacher should never have beaten him like this. How is a kid going to learn proper behaviour if his teachers can't contain their own anger? I hope this is a wake up call for the school and they start training their teachers in proper procedures. I realise that this boy must have done something bad and he shouldn't go unpunished, but beating is not the answer.

silviu_raider
14-05-10, 10:59
I can't believe that there are people like that in the educational system!:cen:
If it was me, I would've beat the **** out of her!:mad::cen:
People like this shouldn't be allowed to even attend school!:mad:

igonge
14-05-10, 11:20
That kid must've pushed her buttons to make her act like that. They're trying to make out like that boy is totally innocent and didn't deserve it. It was unacceptable for that teacher to beat him in front of a class, but i'm just saying maybe he deserved it.

coolaideonfire
14-05-10, 11:23
I can imagine the rage she must have felt when the students mimicked a mentally handicapped girl, but as a teacher, and as a civilised member of society, you need to overcome that and react appropriately. I would be mortified if I saw someone lash out like this.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 11:26
Everyone seems to ignore the discussion at the end of the clip. That's the most important part of it, IMO. Parents have to get involved and conditions in schools have to be improved. It starts, despite the nature of this video, with creating an environment where bullying and the like between kids will not be tolerated. The environment in schools needs to be one where children are safe from other children first.

Teachers should be better trained and monitored, of course, but they need to also be allowed to properly discipline problem children. It can't be a case where children are untouchable no matter what they do, because parents will complain and threaten law suits over small matters. Doing those kinds things will probably go a long way for preventing big things like this from happening... because the tension will not just build and build and build...

Rai
14-05-10, 11:33
That kid must've pushed her buttons to make her act like that. They're trying to make out like that boy is totally innocent and didn't deserve it. It was unacceptable for that teacher to beat him in front of a class, but i'm just saying maybe he deserved it.

Since when does anyone deserve to be beaten? Even a child who does something bad and was 'pushing the buttons' of his teacher, although deserving of some punishment no doubt, does not deserve to be kicked and hit like that. The teacher is the adult and should know better. I am not putting all of the blame on that single teacher either, but the school. There should be proper steps in place to train the teachers how to cope with aggressive children. But that boy was cornered and then pulled to the floor, he didn't look too aggressive to me, but then, we don't know what happened before the footage.

Legend of Lara
14-05-10, 11:38

This.

Just this.

igonge
14-05-10, 11:42
Since when does anyone deserve to be beaten?

MY opinion.

I didn't mean it like a brutal beating, a smack or two would be appropriate, notice I said unnaceptable and maybe too.

Rai
14-05-10, 11:44
MY opinion.

So, in your opinion, when does someone deserve to be beaten?

igonge
14-05-10, 11:49
So, in your opinion, when does someone deserve to be beaten?

If you beat children you deserve to be beaten, If you beat animals you deserve to be beaten, If you kill someone you deserve a hell of a lot more than being beaten etc. followed by a looong list of reasons to be beaten.

That report tried to make out the teacher as evil (maybe she was i dunno). He did an equally evil thing and I didn't say he deserved it I said maybe he deserved it, I don't know the full extent of the situation. But poking fun at a handicapped person isn't very nice.

Isaac
14-05-10, 12:32
I might get flamed for this, but I say it anyway.

I look again at the video and the whole thing look like a comedy, a big play with acting and all this stuff, where the (supposed) "victim" looks falsely traumatized and affected. I'm not even sure that he's that sad/affected by what happened, I'm sure he's telling himself (I'm winning you "fat black cow"!). It looks like acting and an attempt to look sad for the purpose of being on TV...

They replayed the bit where he get beaten like 10 times in different color, in loop, like if he was beaten for hour... He was only for like, 30 seconds? If not, a minute.

Sure, the teacher shouldn't have hit him, she should have tried to stay calm, but I'm 100% sure that this kid managed to get hit, he provoked her for sure.

Atlantean-Squid
14-05-10, 13:51
The brat had it coming imho.

michaeldt
14-05-10, 14:12
well, if that was my teacher, I would've atleast tried to fight back

the ancient
14-05-10, 14:22
The teacher shoudn't be smacking the boy
but the boy must did something to make him mad

HappyShannon
14-05-10, 15:15
^ Unless the kid beat the crap out of the teacher, he definitely doesn't deserve that :/

Similar story just came out in the UK. So stupid that anyone can do this to someone, nevermind a teacher to a student :(

TRhalloween
14-05-10, 15:22

Who was being chopped up and where abouts are the 5 year olds on this forum?

xXhayleyroxXx
14-05-10, 15:29
It looked fake to me lol, but anyway yes its disgusting and wrong. But so is verbal assault and non-violent action which is intended to harm, which is what im going through.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 15:44
Whilst shocking, we're all human, and we'll all snap if we're provoked, regardless of profession.

Yes, it was irresponsible of the teacher to lash out like that; if you find something difficult to sort out, you get help from a colleague. But at the same time, it was incredibly rude of the boy to be mocking someone. At the age of twelve, he should know better - whether he has disciplinary problems or not. It's a terrible thing to have happened, but that's life. We shouldn't look down upon the teacher for doing what she did, it was a human reflex, she was pushed over the edge, should we blame her for that?

I wonder if the boy was punished for doing what he did, or whether that was blown over and forgotten because of the teacher's reaction.

And in response to whether this should be allowed on the general forum, let Youtube's staff decide whether it is unsuitable for the video to be shown to under 18's. It was shown on Good Morning America, it's not a horror movie. If you find the video disturbing, ask the OP to hyperlink the video, or add a warning underneath the embed.

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 15:48
To be quite honest, it is human. It's natural to just, well, snap.

Oh please, I've seen worse than this reported in the news.

Mr.Burns
14-05-10, 16:03
i rest my case:)

I agree. :)

How about you both knock it off and stop trying to act like moderators. The thread stays put. Good Morning America can be viewed by anyone.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:09
I like her ninja pose at the start of the clip. Very intimidating.

Grenade
14-05-10, 16:15
wonder why she's a teacher if she'd do that :/

what did the boy do anyways? just wondering.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:16

what did the boy do anyways? just wondering.

They rather conveniently left that part out of the news report.

Probably for a reason.

peeves
14-05-10, 16:18
Oh my god how could a teacher do this to a young boy?! :yik: What the teacher did is so wrong! She deserves to be in jail! :mad:

Rai
14-05-10, 16:19
Grenade: what did the boy do anyways? just wondering.
It said something about the boy and his mates mimicking the way a disabled child dances. Whilst this is horrible behaviiour and should be punished, I repeat, being beaten was not the answer.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:19
I like the fact that his mother had "no idea about" this, and had to find out from a neighbor, yet he aparrently had bruises all up his arm where she had savaged him.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 16:20
They rather conveniently left that part out of the news report.

Probably for a reason.

They did? I thought the boy was caught mocking how a disabled girl danced?

Perhaps she didn't know she'd do that? If she's a teacher there, she's obviously had the training and is competent enough for the job. Seeing the boy mocking someone for being disabled probably hit a soft spot. No doubt the boy talked back to a telling off. They've made it sound as if he was caught and the teacher tore into him just for that.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:22
They did? I thought the boy was caught mocking how a disabled girl danced?

I only watched the video clip, and I don't think it was mentioned there. In fact, the first thing he says is "What drove this teacher to attack a young boy?" (paraphrased) as if there was no apparrent motive. Just sensationalism.

Grenade
14-05-10, 16:24
It said something about the boy and his mates mimicking the way a disabled child dances. Whilst this is horrible behaviiour and should be punished, I repeat, being beaten was not the answer.

Agreed, it's sick what he did, but beating the crap out of him in front of the whole class isn't what i'd call a good way to sort it out :o

Rai
14-05-10, 16:28
I only watched the video clip, and I don't think it was mentioned there. In fact, the first thing he says is "What drove this teacher to attack a young boy?" (paraphrased) as if there was no apparrent motive. Just sensationalism.

It is true the news clip does concentrate on the beating, but listen again at 1.10/1.11, you can hear the reporter mention what the boy is meant to have done - mimicking a mentally disabled child's dancing.

Jo269976
14-05-10, 16:29
It is true the news clip does concentrate on the beating, but listen again at 1.10/1.11, you can hear the reporter mention what the boy is meant to have done - mimicking a disabled child's dancing.

For which he deserved at least one good slap across the chops. For all we know the teacher may have a family member, or even a child who is mentally handicapped.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 16:30

1:02, the reporter mentions it. Easily missed though, what with the clip playing in the background. :)

Agreed, it's sick what he did, but beating the crap out of him in front of the whole class isn't what i'd call a good way to sort it outI don't think she took the time to think what would be the best way to sort it out. She caught him mocking a girl, he probably sass talked her back, and her reflex was to punish him. Colleagues should have stepped in to break it up, but they stood aside and watched and the clip was filmed. Had they stepped in, the teacher would have been reported and the mother contacted, and it would have been dealt with from there, rather than being sensationalised on national news, making her out to be a monster for being human. Yes, she should have dealt with the situation better, but we've done something in the spur of the moment which we've regretted later. It's just unfortunate that this woman was filmed and put in the spotlight for it.

2kool4u
14-05-10, 16:34
Supposedly he was making fun of a student. Detention would've been fine but ho-ho-holy **** that was an intense beat down XD

MattTR
14-05-10, 16:41
OMG I saw this on the news the other night with my mom.. it's freaking insane! How anyone can do this is beyond me, and she just went on and on! :rolleyes:

The schools really need to watch who they hire..

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:42

I'm guessing this is the only time that teacher's done something like this. That's like saying "Oh, I can look into the future and see that the person will do something terrible... Don't hire them!".
It's damn impossible to tell.

jackles
14-05-10, 16:43
The thing is with how it is in the education system today is that many teachers can be treated appallingly by students and nothing happens. One of my mates was told only today to **** off you fat cow by an eleven year old. why? Because she asked him to shut the door. The child was effectively unpunished. Sometimes people crack. It does happen, the difference is that with mobile phones it can be filmed.

MattTR
14-05-10, 16:45
I'm guessing this is the only time that teacher's done something like this. That's like saying "Oh, I can look into the future and see that the person will do something terrible... Don't hire them!".
It's damn impossible to tell.

No it's not, you can always do a full background check and/or criminal evaluation of the person.. it's not impossible. Sure, if they have no history you can't tell.. but someone like this, it surely wouldn't be the case.

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:46
No it's not, you can always do a full background check and/or criminal evaluation of the person.. it's not impossible. Sure, if they have no history you can't tell.. but someone like this, it surely wouldn't be the case.

People can just snap. There doesn't need to be any other time of doing it. It doesn't matter if they haven't done it before.
So how do we know it wasn't like that in this teacher's case?

MattTR
14-05-10, 16:48
People can just snap. There doesn't need to be any other time of doing it. It doesn't matter if they haven't done it before.
So how do we know it wasn't like that in this teacher's case?

Yeah of course people snap, but it's not normal to hit a kid like that, no matter how frustrated you get. It's no excuse..

And if they have done it before, they are surely at fault to do it again. If a teacher beats their children, there's no doubt they'd beat their students.

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:51
Yeah of course people snap, but it's not normal to hit a kid like that, no matter how frustrated you get. It's no excuse..

And if they have done it before, they are surely at fault to do it again. If a teacher beats their children, there's no doubt they'd beat their students.

What's that got to do with the point we're discussing?

Anyway...
A point made by many others, how do we know this kid wasn't an annoying little *******? People do funny things when they snap, I've experienced it first-hand.

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 16:51
OMG I saw this on the news the other night with my mom.. it's freaking insane! How anyone can do this is beyond me, and she just went on and on! :rolleyes:

Your looking at the entire thing from one perspective though, look at it from both sides. There are two people at fault, the Student and the Teacher.

Should she of handled it better, of course but as others have pointed out maybe she has someone in her family who is handicapped and it pushed her to the breaking edge and she blacked out. When you black out you have no idea what the heck you are doing, I've been there before.

The student is also at fault for just acting like a two year old, he knew what he did was wrong but he continued to act out. I don't believe in ever hitting anyone, but if anything I hope it makes him realize he needs to think before opening his mouth. He's 12 not 6 as I said before he knows what is right and wrong.

I hope she gets the help she needs, and I hope the kid straightens up. I honestly don't think she deserves 5 years in jail though but thats just my opinion. Just open up your mind a little and look at it from both sides dude.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:52
It is true the news clip does concentrate on the beating, but listen again at 1.10/1.11, you can hear the reporter mention what the boy is meant to have done - mimicking a mentally disabled child's dancing.

1:02, the reporter mentions it. Easily missed though, what with the clip playing in the background. :)

Yes, it was mentioned, thanks for pointing that out. But, as per usual, the useful information was buried away to make for a more empathic (word?) story. Easily missed, like you said, Laralover :p

I am under the impression that the little boy probably provoked that teacher a great deal. I mean, if she had shown any violent tendancies she would not have gotten a job in a school for special needs children, would she?

jackles
14-05-10, 16:53
It is perfectly possible for someone to crack up after working at a school with no prior mental health issues. I have worked at a school for ten years...and have known of three people who ended up having breakdowns. Its not all strolling in with a few books and teaching well adjusted kids. Another mate was attacked by a child in front of her own children the other day...she didn't react at all but what if she had become so down she just reacted?

Everyone is extensively checked out by the police here.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 16:53

If the teacher has no recourse then, yes, perhaps they can snap like that. Like Jackles said, in some schools the kids are virtually unpunishable through normal channels (for whatever reason) no one has the teachers' back. So you have a teacher trying to do the best they can--getting no support in controlling students who are basically running wild. Sounds like a pressure cooker to me. There's only so much people can take.

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:54
Yes, it was mentioned, thanks for pointing that out. But, as per usual, the useful information was buried away to make for a more empathic (word?) story. Easily missed, like you said, Laralover :p

Empathetic would be the wrong kinda word, unless you have someone who had experienced it before :p

You probably want sympathetic :p

MattTR
14-05-10, 16:54
What's that got to do with the point we're discussing?

Anyway...
A point made by many others, how do we know this kid wasn't an annoying little *******? People do funny things when they snap, I've experienced it first-hand.

You send him to the office, simple.

Your looking at the entire thing from one perspective though, look at it from both sides. There are two people at fault, the Student and the Teacher.

Should she of handled it better, of course but as others have pointed out maybe she has someone in her family who is handicapped and it pushed her to the breaking edge and she blacked out. When you black out you have no idea what the heck you are doing, I've been there before.

The student is also at fault for just acting like a two year old, he knew what he did was wrong but he continued to act out. I don't believe in ever hitting anyone, but if anything I hope it makes him realize he needs to think before opening his mouth. He's 12 not 6 as I said before he knows what is right and wrong.

I hope she gets the help she needs, and I hope the kid straightens up. I honestly don't think she deserves 5 years in jail though but thats just my opinion.

There's one person at fault.. how can you compare a grown woman and a kid? Sure he was 12, but that's definitely no excuse.

Some people snap, sure, but some kids misbehave. It's no right to go and hit the kid like that. I know when I was a little kid I wasn't perfect at times, and no teacher ever beat me because of it.

Minty Mouth
14-05-10, 16:56
Empathetic would be the wrong kinda word, unless you have someone who had experienced it before :p

You probably want sympathetic :p

Empathy, which literally translates as 'in feeling', is the capability to share another being's emotions and feelings.

Nah, I'll stick with it :ton:

herothing
14-05-10, 16:56
That is absolutely barbaric, how can one pick on a 12 year old child :mad:

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 16:57
There's one person at fault.. how can you compare a grown woman and a kid? Sure he was 12, but that's definitely no excuse.

Some people snap, sure, but some kids misbehave. It's no right to go and hit the kid like that. I know when I was a little kid I made the same mistake at times, and no teacher ever beat me because of it.

I don't agree, there both at fault. And as I have stated before its obvious she broke the hell down, it doesn't even look like she knows what she's doing. I still stand by my opinion both are at fault, the kid knew what he was doing, he was acting up just to get a reaction out of the teacher and boy did he get one. When you snap and black out you cannot control what you're doing.

lara c. fan
14-05-10, 16:57
Empathy, which literally translates as 'in feeling', is the capability to share another being's emotions and feelings.

Nah, I'll stick with it :ton:
Oh, shush you! :p

Some people snap, sure, but some kids misbehave. It's no right to go and hit the kid like that. I know when I was a little kid I wasn't perfect at times, and no teacher ever beat me because of it.

But if you snap, you're unlikely to be thinking rationally. As said, I have first-hand experience.

jackles
14-05-10, 16:58
But Matt I have seen kids sent to the office and then sat on a computer for hours watching youtube. I have seen adults bit, scratched and punched. I have seen chairs thrown and people going after each other with knives. I have had a child throw punches at my face while I stood there totally trying to be calm. I have been punched in the face and told off for screaming in pain. Oh yes I was told off.

I know ...sounds like the wild west and I am not condemming what she did....just that it can happen because of lack of support in the system.

MattTR
14-05-10, 16:58
If the teacher has no recourse then, yes, perhaps they can snap like that. Like Jackles said, in some schools the kids are virtually unpunishable through normal channels (for whatever reason) no one has the teachers' back. So you have a teacher trying to do the best they can--getting no support in controlling students who are basically running wild. Sounds like a pressure cooker to me. There's only so much people can take.

Like I said, you send them to the office and get the principal involved, and the parents. It's not hard. I don't get why the teacher has to get it to that level in the first place..

But Matt I have seen kids sent to the office and then sat on a computer for hours watching youtube. I have seen adults bit, scratched and punched. I have seen chairs thrown and people going after each other with knives. I have had a child throw punches at my face while I stood there totally trying to be calm. I have been punched in the face and told off for screaming in pain. Oh yes I was told off.

I know ...sounds like the wild west and I am not condemming what she did....just that it can happen because of lack of support in the system.

But you can go ahead and let a higher level of authority deal with it, that's exactly what I maen, there IS a certain level which is beyond what anyone should go through, so why would she go and beat him when she could have sent him to the office and let the principal send him home and have his parents deal with him?

Laralissa
14-05-10, 17:00

I think you're majorly underestimating how intimidating and un-cooperative some children can be. Its not always as 'simple' as sending them to the headteacher.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 17:01
THE SYSTEM IS AT FAULT!

Scenes like this would NEVER, EVER, have happened when I was a child because there was a basic respect of the teacher as an authority figure. And the administration backed up the teachers when necessary. And parents didn't jump in all the time and act like their children were angels and were beyond reproach.

I will not defend the actions taken by this teacher. Still, you have to understand the underlying problems in todays' school systems (in a lot of places, not all) as well. You can't just fire this woman and call it a day.

The schools have to be fixed... and it starts with making schools a place where kids are not running wild because their actions bring about no consequences. Then it will be a much better place for students as well as teachers, and teachers can actually teach... and students can actually learn.

MattTR
14-05-10, 17:01
I think you're majorly underestimating how intimidating and un-cooperative some children can be. Its not always as 'simple' as sending them to the headteacher.

I know, that's why one teacher can't handle it by herself, it calls for back-up. :p

herothing
14-05-10, 17:03
THE SYSTEM IS AT FAULT!

Scenes like this would NEVER, EVER, have happened when I was a child because there was a basic respect of the teacher as an authority figure. And the administration backed up the teachers when necessary. And parents didn't jump in all the time and act like their children were angels and were beyond reproach.

I will not defend the actions taken by this teacher. Still, you have to understand the underlying problems in todays' school systems (in a lot of places, not all) as well. You can't just fire this woman and call it a day.

The schools have to be fixed... and it starts with making schools a place where kids are not running wild because their actions bring about no consequences.

I couldnt agree more.
I feel that Schools no longer have any discipline, the school i'm at just threatens the students who disrupt class and they never actually follow through with their threats, anybody can get away with anything nowadays. I feel as though it's now out of the school teachers hands to do anything, they don't have the power to keep classes under control anymore.

jackles
14-05-10, 17:05
Matt, I was told off by the then head. It was classed as my fault because I 'got too close' to a child who was angry. The staff HAVE to deal with stuff because it is seen as bad management not too.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 17:06
I couldnt agree more.
I feel that Schools no longer have any discipline, the school i'm at just threatens the students who disrupt class and they never actually follow through with their threats, anybody can get away with anything nowadays. I feel as though it's now out of the school teachers hands to do anything, they don't have the power to keep classes under control anymore.

See... I'm glad you posted! I'll bet you might be one of the good kids... and no-one thinks about the good kids who can't learn in such an environment! Schools that are out of control like that are not safe for the kids... and it's way more often kids hurting other kids rather than teachers doing the hurting.

MattTR
14-05-10, 17:07
Matt, I was told off by the then head. It was classed as my fault because I 'got too close' to a child who was angry. The staff HAVE to deal with stuff because it is seen as bad management not too.

Oh I did not know that.. :( well like interstellardave said, the system is to blame then.. they definitely don't have the right things in place.

remote91
14-05-10, 17:07
Easy - that student could have been a mouthy little ****

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 17:10
See... I'm glad you posted! I'll bet you might be one of the good kids... and no-one thinks about the good kids who can't learn in such an environment! Schools that are out of control like that are not safe for the kids... and it's way more often kids hurting other kids rather than teachers doing the hurting.

And this is why Online school is so popular anymore, its the main reason I left regular school, You could never learn anything because people were always acting out, or people were getting into fights, not only that the fear of not feeling safe. To be honest I don't get why someone wouldn't respect a teacher when for one its there elder and they treat you with respect right from the start. To me school is a place you should feel safe, and only have to worry about your education and those days are long gone.. sadly.

jackles
14-05-10, 17:11
I figured Matt that you have been to schools where they are more civilised. :)

I work with a whole load of extremely difficult children...well along with some fabulous ones. I am well trained and after now all these years pretty calm, but it doesn't mean that someone still couldn't flip. A death in the family or something ...and then pushed too far and they flip. People are human...and fallible. It shouldn't happen but it does. There needs to be better systems in schools to make sure that support is there for the children and the adults.

Mermaidman
2agLnc4WMCo

http://news.google.com/news/more?hl=en&um=1&q=teacher+houston&ie=UTF-8&ncl=d8SEX_aogZlAqrMqPR1M8qmvAqraM&ei=leHsS_XlL5KekQWD0f3nBg&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&cd=1&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQqgIoADAA\

this is disgusting and horrible. i cant believe a teacher would randomly bash this boy.

discuss

:yik:

Lara's home
Lawd.
That was a tad epic, yet very sad and serious.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 17:12
But then we get to the fact that homes don't have discipline either these days, and that's where it starts.

We've tried to form a perfect world where violence is looked down upon, where you should never hit a child, when a good slap is just what children need these days. You can't expect a child to understand a telling off, and punishment doesn't work. Children don't care that they've been grounded, or banned from TV or whatever else you can think of. They'll find other ways to occupy themselves until their punishment is lifted, and take nothing from it.

Where would I be without being smacked as a child for doing something bad? Standing at the local shops at night drinking? Smoking? Getting someone pregnant? Breaking the law? Killing someone?

This child obviously has never been hit by a parent, because society these days says that's taboo. The mother couldn't control the kid and he was sent to a school for kids with disciplinary problems. Would he be there had he been smacked at home for doing wrong?

MattTR
14-05-10, 17:13
I figured Matt that you have been to schools where they are more civilised. :)

I work with a whole load of extremely difficult children...well along with some fabulous ones. I am well trained and after now all these years pretty calm, but it doesn't mean that someone still couldn't flip. A death in the family or something ...and then pushed too far and they flip. People are human...and fallible. It shouldn't happen but it does. There needs to be better systems in schools to make sure that support is there for the children and the adults.

I actually went to private school all the way up until college, I went to a public one day before I decided to go back to private school after originally wanted to switch.. so I tried it didn't like it.

Lara's home
14-05-10, 17:15
But then we get to the fact that homes don't have discipline either these days, and that's where it starts.

We've tried to form a perfect world where violence is looked down upon, where you should never hit a child, when a good slap is just what children need these days. You can't expect a child to understand a telling off, and punishment doesn't work. Children don't care that they've been grounded, or banned from TV or whatever else you can think of. They'll find other ways to occupy themselves until their punishment is lifted, and take nothing from it.

Where would I be without being smacked as a child for doing something bad? Standing at the local shops at night drinking? Smoking? Getting someone pregnant? Breaking the law? Killing someone?

Errr, a good parent does not need to be violent in order for the child/children to listen to him/her. I got a smack or 2 when I was a child, by my bad, and I thought it was the most fun thing in the world to **** him off, even though it hurt. It was when my mother was "disappointed" in me, I felt bad.

laralover_07
14-05-10, 17:19
Errr, a good parent does not need to be violent in order for the child/children to listen to him/her. I got a smack or 2 when I was a child, by my bad, and I thought it was the most fun thing in the world to **** him off, even though it hurt. It was when my mother was "disappointed" in me, I felt bad.

Oh I'm not saying that good parenting includes or condones violence, not every child is disobediant, and many are well behaved and polite, and learn discipline from good parenting.

However if a child doesn't pick up discipline during childhood, then there's no way to enforce it later, and they pick up the impression that its okay. I'm just saying that sometimes a smack (or a light hit, as we call it these days :p) is what it takes to restore order.

suli
14-05-10, 17:22
I'm sure the kid did something to push her buttons..but still it's not right and teachers satnding by and watching is even more wrong.

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 17:24
I'm sure the kid did something to push her buttons..but still it's not right and teachers satnding by and watching is even more wrong.

I may be looking to much into it but I kinda think she was set up. I mean how is it that no one could stop her? They have a phone recording a teachers around but no one steps in, Its like they wanted her to do it.

interstellardave
14-05-10, 17:28
I may be looking to much into it but I kinda think she was set up. I mean how is it that no one could stop her? They have a phone recording a teachers around but no one steps in, Its like they wanted her to do it.

The teachers might have sympathized with her... and, while it's wrong that no-one stepped in and stopped it, that should be an indication of what's wrong with a lot of schools. It's not all about "a bad teacher", but it's more about "what the hell is going on that leads to situations like this"? I think I understand some of that... and Jackles certainly has first-hand experience in it.

suli
14-05-10, 17:28

oh maybe the school teachers hate her and want her out of the school... this is really possible but after all even the teachers who stood there would be kicked out for doing nothing, right?

herothing
14-05-10, 17:29

It's not so much the aspect of bullying that i'm worried about, the problem i face is constantly being disrupted in lessons, i think the teachers spend more time trying to stop little problems in class, they have no power to do anything so they end up spending more time keeping the class in order rather than teaching; this causes problems.. i have my exam in under a month in science and we've only almost just got half way through it.

ajrich17901
14-05-10, 17:33
The teachers might have sympathized with her... and, while it's wrong that no-one stepped in and stopped it, that should be an indication of what's wrong with a lot of schools. It's not all about "a bad teacher", but it's more about "what the hell is going on that leads to situations like this"? I think I understand some of that... and Jackles certainly has first-hand experience in it.

I'm glad Jackles posted what she went through it really makes ya think. I honestly don't know how to get my brain around this. There's alot that just doesn't make sense.

larson n natla
14-05-10, 17:46
If I was that kid, that bi@ch would have got as much as she gave and then some.

Seriously she needs to be taught a lesson that is assault. :(

Johnnay
14-05-10, 21:40
Interesting ideas guys

keep it up:)

Catracoth
14-05-10, 21:55
I honestly feel for the teacher. That's precisely the things I wanna do to my classmates when I hear them making fun of someone else.

Gregori
14-05-10, 22:00
I can't help but :vlol:

Rai
14-05-10, 22:23
I honestly feel for the teacher. That's precisely the things I wanna do to my classmates when I hear them making fun of someone else.

There is a difference between wanting to and the actual doing. Presumably, you restrain yourself?

Phantasmagoria
14-05-10, 22:40
There is a difference between wanting to and the actual doing. Presumably, you restrain yourself?

Thats pretty obvious, but I am honestly finding it hard to not walk up and jab a pencil into someones neck. Our school doesn't do anything about the bullies, and that's because most bullies are active in sports.

amiro1989
14-05-10, 23:03
Wow, she is disgusting. No matter what happens, nobody deserves to be beaten....

TRfan23
14-05-10, 23:19
This isn't right, but seeing that the child has done bad things himself in the past then well he had it coming. Regardless whether that woman is a teacher, sometimes it's really difficult to restrain anger :(

ryan91
14-05-10, 23:36
"How can any teacher do this to a Student?"

as shown in the video.

sorry jokes are not appropriate for this thread but i had to say this :D:tea:

Rai
14-05-10, 23:50
Thats pretty obvious, but I am honestly finding it hard to not walk up and jab a pencil into someones neck. Our school doesn't do anything about the bullies, and that's because most bullies are active in sports.
I know it is obvious, which was kind of my point. This isn't some bully, but an adult in authority who should know the obvious and know how to keep themselves calm or at the very least should have been able to stop herself sooner and get help if this boy was goading her. The truth is, we don't know what this boy had been doing prior to being cornered. As people have said, he could have been pushing her and goading her etc, and she snapped. But a trained teacher should be able to handle situations like that. This is a teacher who works for a school for children with disciplinary issues, they know what they're up against and should be ready and able to cope. This boy did a horrible thing making fun of a disabled student, but no student deserves that treatment - and have other teachers do nothing about it, at least not straight away. How do people learn? By example, that's how. I realise there are deeper issues here, the school itself is responsible for ensuring the staff are well trained for starters - and discipline for the children should be looked at too.

Phantasmagoria
15-05-10, 00:02
I know it is obvious, which was kind of my point. This isn't some bully, but an adult in authority who should know the obvious and know how to keep themselves calm or at the very least should have been able to stop herself sooner and get help if this boy was goading her. The truth is, we don't know what this boy had been doing prior to being cornered. As people have said, he could have been pushing her and goading her etc, and she snapped. But a trained teacher should be able to handle situations like that. This is a teacher who works for a school for children with disciplinary issues, they know what they're up against and should be ready and able to cope. This boy did a horrible thing making fun of a disabled student, but no student deserves that treatment - and have other teachers do nothing about it, at least not straight away. How do people learn? By example, that's how. I realise there are deeper issues here, the school itself is responsible for ensuring the staff are well trained for starters - and discipline for the children should be looked at too.

This really beats me. I have no idea why a grown adult, would act like a confused teenager, and start a fight with a boy well younger than she was. Maybe she really cares about disabled children, maybe someone close to her, like a sister, or a brother, aunt or uncle, is disabled, and him making fun triggered her to do these things. If I was a teacher in that room, I would have helped. To me, there are just as responible as the teacher who started the fight for not helping. But I still feel kind of sorry for the teacher, for having a student who thinks he is "cool" enough to make fun of others for their problems.

Rai
15-05-10, 00:18
^ Oh don't get me wrong, phantasmagoria, I usually have plenty of respect for teachers, any teachers but especially special needs teachers. My son has special needs and went to a special school (not specifically for disciplinary problems) with children of varying degress of learning difficulties and disabilities. The teachers there are under huge strain and pressure and they often have to cope with major temper tantrums, even from children aged 16-19 who are bigger than them as well as the little ones. Classes were held for teachers and parents for learning how to restrain children without hurting them. So I understand, I do. I can honestly say I didn't always know how best to handle the situation when my own son threw a major wobbly - I learned as I went along, taking tips from the teachers and helpers.

It could be that this was an isolated case, but it worries me the other teachers didn't intervene.

LaraLuvrrr
15-05-10, 01:19
What separates a teacher from a child?

She's the grown ass adult! Suspend him or something but control yourself.

AmericanAssassin
15-05-10, 02:29
No matter what the kid did, the teacher is in the wrong. 100%. You don't beat your students. What the heck? :rolleyes:

Johnnay
15-05-10, 11:50
What separates a teacher from a child?

She's the grown ass adult! Suspend him or something but control yourself.

this

Lara Croft!
16-05-10, 11:28
This teacher is out of control. Let's say it was the worst kid in the world and did the most terrible thing is the universe, I would understand a slapping (although I wouldn't approve it), but this woman is as if she wants to re-enact WWF's scenes.

Johnnay
16-05-10, 12:23
This teacher is out of control. Let's say it was the worst kid in the world and did the most terrible thing is the universe, I would understand a slapping (although I wouldn't approve it), but this woman is as if she wants to re-enact WWF's scenes.
:vlol:

TRULuverzz
16-05-10, 12:41
for a Teacher to do this is horrific, how can the other teachers just stand there and watch her do this to a child! :(