PDA

View Full Version : Different Dimensions?

silver_wolf
15-05-10, 01:56
So we've got an alien life and time travel thread already. Continuing this week's series of the strange and unusual, do you believe there are separate dimensions from what we see and exist on? Personally I thinks so, and I think things like aliens, angels, demons, fairies, etc, are all beings that exist on separate dimensions. A lot of UFO reports describe objects or beings that seem to simply "phase out", disappearing faster than possible for any known aircraft. I'm more inclined to think any "aliens" visiting earth aren't from a different planet, they're from a different reality. So to speak.

peeves
15-05-10, 01:58
As far as i know there's a time dimension aka 4th dimension but doesn't exist in reality because we can't travel in time right away meaning for 100 years or back etc.

LaraLuvrrr
15-05-10, 02:04
I've seen a ton of videos about new theories in physics and scientists are finding multiple dimensions and universes existing at the same time. There's this one new theory called M theory that says there are like 11 dimensions.

So yea I believe in different dimensions. I think reality is so complicated that logic will never really be able to comprehend it.

Draco
15-05-10, 03:44
As far as i know there's a time dimension aka 4th dimension but doesn't exist in reality because we can't travel in time right away meaning for 100 years or back etc.

The fourth dimension is time.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 05:02
I've seen a ton of videos about new theories in physics and scientists are finding multiple dimensions and universes existing at the same time. There's this one new theory called M theory that says there are like 11 dimensions.

They aren't finding multiple dimensions, they are theorizing them. It's the only way to get their math to come out right. They need the math to come out right in order to support their theories that attempt to explain the universe at its most basic level.
M theory is not new. It's been around for decades. They referred to it in Sliders to explain the alternate realities they traveled to.
Although I suppose that's relatively new in the realm of physics. But physics itself is relatively new, at least in its current form.

I didn't mean to tear your post apart, honest :p

Alpharaider47
15-05-10, 06:52
Honestly, I say sure why not.

GameGlitcher77
15-05-10, 06:56
Honestly, I say sure why not.

This^^^ ;)

Cochrane
15-05-10, 07:01
It is a very interesting concept at least. From a purely mathematical (not physics) point of view, there is nothing wrong with assuming even infinite dimensions, and a few interesting math issues even rely on very high dimensions. 3D computer graphics always uses four dimensions, but that is really just a trick to make some maths a lot easier (in the end result, things with a different fourth coordinate would be displayed at different sizes, inversely proportional to that fourth coordinate. Some physicists say that 11 dimensions is the number our universe most likely has, and though I have no idea why they say that, I am willing to accept that on account of them being smarter than me.

What I donít quite get is all that science fiction stuff about aliens from the fifth dimension. The fifth dimension is a straight, infinite, line, just like the first three/four (it can be bent by relativistic effects but that is more for the time travel thread). An alien that we perceive as 3D has to come from at least three dimensions at the same time, possibly more (and some of which may be the same as the ones we know). Anything else makes no sense.

aktrekker
15-05-10, 07:24
Buckaroo Banzai says they come from the eighth dimension :p

Cochrane
15-05-10, 07:42
Buckaroo Bonzai says they come from the eighth dimension :p

Technically speaking, that would make them simple straight lines. I have no idea who the Buckaroo Bonzai are, though, so: Are they? :D

aktrekker
15-05-10, 07:49
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V742CZKYL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/

Drone
15-05-10, 11:26
Theoretically there can be infinite amount of dimensions. If there are n dimensions then there can be the (n+1)th dimension and etc. I wonder is it even possible to think out of the box about at least the 4th dimension. What can be else apart from length, width and height :confused: But there definitely can be hyper spaces.