PDA

View Full Version : What's more important to you...?

patriots88888
17-05-10, 09:13
Free time or money?

As adults we (or most of us do) spend a great deal of time working for that almighty dollar. To some, money is everything (the more, the merrier) but is it really worth sacrificing all that time getting it? I guess what I'm asking is, where do you draw the line when it comes to prioritizing your time? Are you the type that will work at any given opportunity, or do you value your free time too much to put in those extra hours or work another job? Would you be content to just get by and have more time to yourself away from work or are you more the type to plug away as much as possible just to get that extra cash?

As for myself, I've always been the type to sacrifice any extra money earned in order to have more free time. I've always valued it as more important... and to a certain degree, my sanity depends on it.

Your thoughts?

sandygrimm
17-05-10, 09:42
Free time! Yet also depends on the job. if it's high stress, than free time, but if a more laid back job, guess I could sacrifice some free time for some extra money.

almayah
17-05-10, 09:51
Probably free time =)

Chocola teapot
17-05-10, 09:52
Free time...

Where does it all go?

CiaKonwerski
17-05-10, 09:55
Free time. :D

Shirley_Manson
17-05-10, 09:57
Free time... But not under the bridge.

Reckless Lara
17-05-10, 10:04
Well so far I'm concerned about having free time. :)

Lara's home
17-05-10, 10:18
Depends on the job. If I love my job, I'd probably go with money.

Buffy87
17-05-10, 10:23
Free time.

Currently anyhow - the amount of preparation and work I put into my legal qualification makes me very very happy whenever I get even half an hour to myself. Mind you, that said I probably wouldn't appreciate the free time if I wasn't putting work into something else. I know when I used to have university vacations with no revision but not long enough to get apart time job i.e. a 2 week vacation or whatever, I soon got bored of having nothing meaningful to do.

Rai
17-05-10, 10:53
Right now, being unemployed, I have far too much free time and I could do with having a bit more money, but if I was working, I would never sacrifice time that could be spent with my son working overtime or whatever just to earn more money - there needs to be a good balance if it is possible depending on the job.

TRLegendLuver
17-05-10, 10:55
Right now, money. My finances are terrible.

peeves
17-05-10, 11:31
Free time for me

]{eith
17-05-10, 11:36
Money.

Ikas90
17-05-10, 12:25
Hard work, which will pay off. Working hard until you've saved enough, then taking a needed vacation.

Of course when life gets busier though, and you start living indepentantly and decide to raise a family, you'll need an equal balance of free time and money. Time spent with family is crucial.

Liara
17-05-10, 13:29
You can buy pretty much everything with money, so that's what I'm going with. If I have money then I can quit my job and have all the free time I want.

Anyone can have a lot of free time because of very different circumstances: people in the hospital, hobos... so better be careful what you ask the genie for. :D

Simochka
17-05-10, 13:31
Money and work is more important. So I can enjoy the free time I get :p

young Lara Croft
17-05-10, 13:33
Money ! because with money you can buy free time (ex. a holiday trip to some exotic islands)

Capt. Murphy
17-05-10, 13:44
Free Time - without question. But I think it would be far more important to know how to use that free time. Like earning money.

But seriously. If you had so much money, but no time to do anything... Then there wouldn't be any point in having the money.

You could be as poor as a 'church mouse' and still enjoy life. I'm sure it's possible. :p

Ward Dragon
17-05-10, 14:05
Right now I'd say money because I need to find a full-time job and I'm bored as hell with nothing to do. I always need something to focus on or I go crazy and feel like all of this "free time" is just a waste of time.

Catapharact
17-05-10, 14:10
Wishful thinking wise, I would say a PERFECTLY balanced medium between work and free time. Even in my retirement phase, I plan on starting up and sticking with a small business.

However, the real aspect of my chosen career dictates that I have to make the most out of what little free time I get and believe me... Once free time becomes sparse, you have to make the most out of it (emphisis on MOST OUT OF IT.)

tranniversary119
17-05-10, 14:13
Money. :pi:

Alpharaider47
17-05-10, 14:43
I want to say free time, but I'm trying to go into a career field that I absolutely love, and when I was job shadowing/participating, it didn't really feel like work =/ I also haven't had anything to do in all this free time I've had lately. Free time is generally more important to me, but if I love what I'm doing then I don't think I'd mind working a little harder for the money.

laralover_07
17-05-10, 15:17
Money, Honey.

Work for money now, then it pays off later in life when it comes to free time.

Drone
17-05-10, 15:18
Don't care. Have none anyway.

Reggie
17-05-10, 15:39
Wishful thinking wise, I would say a PERFECTLY balanced medium between work and free time. Even in my retirement phase, I plan on starting up and sticking with a small business.
This. Including the retirement plan. :D

Another Lara
17-05-10, 15:45
Free time, what's the point in having the money if you have no free time to spend it/appreciate it!

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-05-10, 16:12
Free time. Without a doubt.

Though I still need money, which is why I work six days a week most weeks. :p

techno-atom
17-05-10, 16:50
Wow, very good question actually. This is a really tough one because I enjoy both. But being an adult means putting priorities in order and making money will always come before free time unfortunately. However, when you do have free time and you have put your share of work in then by all means take the break and relax. If all we did was work, work, work then we'd all be drones.

irjudd
17-05-10, 17:00
Money. To me, free time is of no use if you're too poor to do anything interesting with it. The best things in life aren't free, in my opinion.

spikejones
17-05-10, 20:46
Interesting this thread came about after I just got back from a week long unpaid vacation. If you have any amount of imagination and a passion for something, you can go a long way with very little money at all. Whats the point in burning yourself out working for money if you never get any time to utilize that money? Thats something I had to come to the realization of and part of the reason why I took a week long vacation. I was wearing myself thin working for over a year without any real break. It was good to finally get back to the beach for some surf for the first time in a couple years. And even though the surf was crap, a crap day of surf beats a good day of work.

Gregori
17-05-10, 20:50
Free time. Its why people "call in sick" to work a lot.

I think people should be paid in free time to increase their productivity on the days that they do work.

Love2Raid
17-05-10, 20:54
Free time! How can you enjoy your money if you don't have free time to spend it?

Lavinder
17-05-10, 20:57
Money. To me, free time is of no use if you're too poor to do anything interesting with it. The best things in life aren't free, in my opinion.

Besides sex :D.

Gregori
17-05-10, 21:00

Sometimes, thats not for free either :(

xXhayleyroxXx
17-05-10, 21:16
I'd probably say free time, but both are really important to me -- I need a lot of both to achieve my life goals.

IceColdLaraCroft
17-05-10, 21:18
Money.

Free time means :cen: all if you're just sitting around doing nothing b/c you can't afford to do what you want.

miss.haggard
17-05-10, 21:48
Money. Without it I wouldn't have a house, a car, food, water... and obviously video games.

Until you can't afford any type of birth control, and have a child. Oops.

spikejones
17-05-10, 21:52
Money. Without it I wouldn't have a house, a car, food, water... and obviously video games.

Until you can't afford any type of birth control, and have a child. Oops.
gotcha covered...
http://www.cruiserart.com/art/Volkswagen-VW-Hippie-Flower-Van-Art-Print-Poster.jpg
earn enough money to pay this off, and you're set for life ;)

MiCkiZ88
17-05-10, 21:53
Both are important. Free time is what I need for my relationship and to keep my nerves cool, but I cannot just sit and do nothing either. Money is just money. It is needed in modern world to live. Which is why so many are jumping on conclusions about what kind of failure you really are if you are not working.

miss.haggard
17-05-10, 21:54
gotcha covered...
http://www.cruiserart.com/art/Volkswagen-VW-Hippie-Flower-Van-Art-Print-Poster.jpg
earn enough money to pay this off, and you're set for life ;)

Because VW vans produce food, right? ;)

MiCkiZ88
17-05-10, 21:56
Because VW vans produce food, right? ;)
Who says you can't catch your own food?

Gas on the other hand... well.. it could be solar powered?

miss.haggard
17-05-10, 22:01
I'd rather just have a job and live in a house.

Encore
17-05-10, 22:09
I would opt for a smaller pay if it means more free time, and providing it's still reasonable of course. To me, work means nothing except the means to support a decent life. I'm not a career person, nor a family one, and I don't care about luxury, just small comforts. So if a job pays enough to support that, I wouldn't choose a better paid one if it meant working more.

SkyPuppy
17-05-10, 22:51
free time

MattTR
17-05-10, 22:52
Money is more viable, but free time is always nice.

I don't work anymore, so I get quite a bit of free time.. but more money would be nice.. :vlol:

irjudd
17-05-10, 23:03
Girl, courtship is expensive! Not to mention the stuff Laney already said.