PDA

View Full Version : Canned Air? It's deadly.

MattTR
18-05-10, 01:54
Do you have one of these home, do you use it to clean? Well you may think it's canned air.. but in fact it can be deadly.

You definitely need to use precautions when using this stuff, it's very risky.. :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Canned-air.jpg/310px-Canned-air.jpg

Thousands of adolescent kids have gotten brutally sick in attempt of getting a high, and even died from "huffing". Sniffing it can cause unconsciousness and the hydrocarbons within the substance can actually make the heart stop.

Having just watched a documentary on it, I feel that I should post a thread, and even my mother has gotten sick from it using it at her ex-job.

Here (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/dustoff.asp) is one of the stories of a 14 year old dying from "huffing" the canned air.

CiaKonwerski
18-05-10, 01:56
Wow, I have never even heard of the stuff. :/

Gladous
18-05-10, 01:56
Yeah, when I was using it to clean out my PC, it flew into my mouth and it did NOT taste good. :ton:

MattTR
18-05-10, 02:01
Yeah it's pretty bad.. and I heard people at my college talking about getting "off" to it.. blatant idiots. :mad:

Gladous
18-05-10, 02:06
Yeah it's pretty bad.. and I heard people at my college talking about getting "off" to it.. blatant idiots. :mad:

It's so disgusting! Why would anyone do it? Well, that was a rhetorical. Don't answer that. :p

TheBloodRed
18-05-10, 02:07
Yeah, when I was using it to clean out my PC, it flew into my mouth and it did NOT taste good. :ton:
But did you FEEL good? ;)

CiaKonwerski
18-05-10, 02:07

Oh jeez. Yeah, I do not understand people's obsession with getting "high". Wouldn't that stuff potentially damage something inside someone who tried getting off to it?

MattTR
18-05-10, 02:09
Oh jeez. Yeah, I do not understand people's obsession with getting "high". Wouldn't that stuff potentially damage something inside someone who tried getting off to it?

Me either.. I mean I'd rather see someone smoking a joint then doing this stuff, this is suicide.. but of course it's all bad and I recommend you live above the influence. :tmb:

Gladous
18-05-10, 02:09
But did you FEEL good? ;)

Yes! :mis:

JK! :p

Sir Croft
18-05-10, 02:11
I've heard of it but we don't use it. Good to know it's dangerous, though.

CiaKonwerski
18-05-10, 02:12
^Of course. :D
OMG:off:-I just have to say it though.
We had this drug meeting at school one day, and the professor who was giving the speech looked like he just came off of some drugs lol. Anyway, he was like, if you are going to do drugs, just wait until you are 25, because that is when your brain fully develops. I was like wth? lol. Then he was like, if you do any drugs, just don't do crack-cocaine. But, the rest are okay. lol. He was freaking nuts. lol
Sorry for off-topic, just thought I would share. lol

Capt. Murphy
I used it once and I felt good for a moment. But it was on my first job in a hot factory and I sprayed it underneath my shirt. :p

But seriously... Yeah. I seen a thing on Dr. Phil once about a girl that was abusing that stuff. And she said she knew she could die from it, but she didn't care.

A moment of what someone perceives as "pleasure" isn't a fair trade for death -which is forever. :mad:

irjudd
I use it all the time for its intended purpose. Anything is dangerous if you abuse it. Compressed air by itself isn't "deadly" though. You make it sound more dramatic that it is. What do you use to clean dust out of computers?

robm_2007
18-05-10, 02:13
i didnt even know that ppl could get high off of compressed air cans.

i went to target, and was going to by one to remove dirt from my 360, but it was $6 (so i didnt buy it)

and the label said somthing like: The air in this canister has been diluted to prevent buyers from ["accidentally"] getting high.

or something like that. kids are dumb.:(

Gladous
18-05-10, 02:14
It's like using anything else like Sharpies and spray paint, people are going to be stupid enough to abuse it.

MattTR
18-05-10, 02:16
I use it all the time for its intended purpose. Anything is dangerous if you abuse it. Compressed air by itself isn't "deadly" though. You make it sound more dramatic that it is. What do you use to clean dust out of computers?

If you hold it too close then there's a chance you can breath it in which is very dangerous. I would just use a vacuum if I had to.. but yeah, anything can be dangerous, but still this has gotten a lot of people sick.

Gladous
18-05-10, 02:17
If you hold it too close then there's a chance you can breath it in which is very dangerous. I would just use a vacuum if I had to.. but yeah, anything can be dangerous, but still this has gotten a lot of people sick.

Good tip, Matt. How big of a vacuum? :mis:

:ton:

MattTR
18-05-10, 02:18
Good tip, Matt. How big of a vacuum? :mis:

:ton:

Uhh, pretty big. :whi:

But in all reality, I posted this to make people aware of how dangerous the product CAN be.

irjudd
18-05-10, 02:19
A vacuum is ineffective at getting embedded dust from a heatsink or inside a power supply. Canned air is the proper tool for that job, and any tool can be a deadly utensil if handled improperly. I'm not saying your thread is pointless, but rather the angle of it makes canned air sound like a terrible thing.

mudkip25
18-05-10, 02:27
lol, I remember accidentally getting high on a sharpie during a school project where I had to make a poster but it was late at night, I fell asleep, got green sharpie all over my face and inhaled while I snored :ton:

But seriously getting high is bad! No one wants to be high! The more you do it kids, the closer you are to dying and having your dead lifeless corpse get decomposed or chewed on by maggots! Now we know! (G.I. Joe Reference)

Capt. Murphy
18-05-10, 02:28
If anyone was so afraid of the chemicals in a can of air - you could get a small compressor, let it run for a bit, then have you some high pressured air whenever you needed it. Like this guy... :pi:

alIRmodqiOU

Gladous
18-05-10, 02:30
If anyone was so afraid of the chemicals in a can of air - you could get a small compressor, let it run for a bit, then have you some high pressured air whenever you needed it. Like this guy... :pi:

alIRmodqiOU

W-T-F! :vlol:

I couldn't tell if that was a fart or... not. :p

Alpharaider47
18-05-10, 02:40
Haha I have a bunch of those, don't use it to clean though, It works wonders as a propellant for my airsoft pistol. I haz one of them fancy Samurai's Edges (like from Resident Evil) :D
Just firing my gun sometimes releases the gas in enough of an amount to get it on my lips though, that stuff is horrible, dunno why you'd ever want to inhale that stuff!

KyleCroft
18-05-10, 04:04
A few years ago I stuck the nozzle in my mouth, and subsequently pressed it to see what happened. It just tastes gross and feels weird. Needless to say I threw up a lot the next day.

Lizard of Oz
18-05-10, 04:13
A few years ago I stuck the nozzle in my mouth, and subsequently pressed it to see what happened. It just tastes gross and feels weird. Needless to say I threw up a lot the next day.

:eek:

Goodness!

But you're all right now, aren't you?

sephiroth99
18-05-10, 04:32
Problem with those cans is that it's not air at all inside, it's all weird chemicals and whatnot. That's why it's dangerous.

But they sure are fun :P When you turn them upside down, they shoot the liquid out, and it's really cold.

If you wanna do a prank, you spray the liquid on someone's crotch area or his back. They will feel cold and wet for a while :tea: BUT it's dangerous! don't do that, it's very cold you could get frostbite if sprayed on skin :o

Cochrane
18-05-10, 05:18
i didnt even know that ppl could get high off of compressed air cans.

i went to target, and was going to by one to remove dirt from my 360, but it was $6 (so i didnt buy it)

and the label said somthing like: The air in this canister has been diluted to prevent buyers from ["accidentally"] getting high.

or something like that. kids are dumb.:(
Makes me wonder how people can actually dilute air. What do you mix it with?

What do you use to clean dust out of computers?
My father has a large bottle of compressed nitrogen in our basement. Together with the right form of nozzle, that can work wonders.

KyleCroft
18-05-10, 05:18
:eek:

Goodness!

But you're all right now, aren't you?

Oh yes. :)

spikejones
18-05-10, 09:53
huffing compressed air is pretty much like doing a "whip it" with whip cream. Thats not its intended purpose, yet it can be abused as such. People inhale all sorts of stuff to get high, even gasoline.

MiCkiZ88
18-05-10, 11:33
huffing compressed air is pretty much like doing a "whip it" with whip cream. Thats not its intended purpose, yet it can be abused as such. People inhale all sorts of stuff to get high, even gasoline.
... I like the smell of gas.

There are idiots anywhere. Anything can be dangerous. "Hey all worried mothers of the globe, lets ban all the cleaning products! Not the products you use though, but the ones guys use for electric equipment and such.. of course not your stuff. They are a ''relief'' for you"

*richietrent*
18-05-10, 11:39
That video looks funny! Btw does this stuff contain Mercury particles?

Draco
18-05-10, 12:51
A moment of what someone perceives as "pleasure" isn't a fair trade for death -which is forever. :mad:

Oh I don't know about that, I'm all for Natural Selection weeding out the shallow end of the gene pool.

remote91
18-05-10, 13:05
I can't get out of bed in the morning without a quick taste :pi:

]{eith
18-05-10, 13:33
I can't get out of bed in the morning without a quick taste :pi:

C'mon, man. Live above the influence of compressed air. :(

remote91
18-05-10, 13:35
{eith;4607801']C'mon, man. Live above the influence of compressed air. :(
You can't change me man, ima live how I want and do what I want!

http://i40.************/qp0b6h.jpg

]{eith
18-05-10, 13:37
Okay, well give us some and let's go clubbing.

http://i44.************/v45uh0.gif

remote91
18-05-10, 13:40
Check ma moves!

http://i38.************/x4q89s.jpg

scion05
18-05-10, 13:41
http://i42.************/67sbpu.jpg

If you've never seen Maude nevermind lol :p

tomblover
18-05-10, 13:44
Srsly, kids these days.

Getting high off of candy crush, canned air...

Srsly.

remote91
18-05-10, 13:45
If you've never seen Maude nevermind lol :p
I have not, but that is amusing :p

Legends
18-05-10, 13:46
Kids tried to get high on canned air? Stupid kids. They should use the air to fill up the missing parts in their heads. :rolleyes:

Most "drugs" are deadly. If you could get high on canned air, obviously it's not healthy.

remote91
18-05-10, 13:49
They should use ...
Totally thought you were going to tell us an actual way to get high then

scion05
18-05-10, 13:51
So did I :p

I have not, but that is amusing :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcWnHtuo8Rw

LOL, I found out about it through Family Guy though my dad remembers it actually airing, so I watch it on youtube :D

remote91
18-05-10, 13:52
Aww Bea!

scion05
18-05-10, 13:55
And what a lovely singing voice... eat deep Mariah :ton:

zEwN4PgD138

Legends
18-05-10, 13:57
Maybe that's the explanation. Mariah's on canned air. That would make a lot of sense actually.

scion05
18-05-10, 13:57
Yeah, it'd explain why she seems to be getting bigger anyway... oh wait, menopause :p

lara c. fan
18-05-10, 15:56
So, basically, we should all be cautious with this stuff because some kids decide to try and get high off it?

I think there's a difference between abuse and general use. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
18-05-10, 16:47
I knew that every since i was little :p you can't actually buy hairspray here unless you're over 16. All aerosol things are the same.

peeves
18-05-10, 18:17
Well i always thought canned air was poison and even swallowing any air is bad for you these kids don't know no better when they should. :pi:

Rai
18-05-10, 18:17
I knew that every since i was little :p you can't actually buy hairspray here unless you're over 16. All aerosol things are the same.

I have never heard that rule. Learn something new everyday.

lara c. fan
18-05-10, 18:20

I've bought deodorant before.

Jack Croft
18-05-10, 19:32
I clean my laptop with them!

TRfan23
18-05-10, 20:22
Some kids shouldn't get their hands on these, I've heard of them but I mainly know kids have aerosol cans. I know a story that involves an aerosol can ;)

My brother went to a party with some friends, they had a bonfire, and someone threw an aerosol can in it by mistake (they were throwing in as much junk they could). It shot back out and hit one of his friends just below his eye, apparently he felt nothing and thought it was just a simple bang. Whereas my bro and his other friends were looking at his face with their mouths open ;)
He was bleeding very heavily, and it made a very deep cut through the bottom of his eye. So they called an ambulance for him. After he went to the hospital and got it stitched up, it looks as though he's got a huge black circle around his whole eye, must have been bruising for the areas it didn't hit and some of the bruising hasn't gone.
It's been about 4-5 years, it looks pretty much the same.

MattTR
18-05-10, 20:32

You actually have to be 18+ to buy this stuff now I think in most areas, so at least they're doing something about it.

I remember buying glue at Walmart a year ago and they asked for my ID! I was like.. woah! :eek:

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:34
Woah this thread makes me look like a bad guy :p

MattTR
18-05-10, 20:35
Woah this thread makes me look like a bad guy :p

:confused: Why?

CerebralAssassin
18-05-10, 20:37
let's just say that there are far worse drugs out there than canned air:p

I know someone who used to sniff gasoline to get high:now that's ****ed up:p

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:38
:confused: Why?

DOing this 'abuse' lol

And sniffing gasoline? Not that bad :p

MattTR
18-05-10, 20:39
let's just say that there are far worse drugs out there than canned air:p

I wouldn't say one is worse than the other, they're seriously all bad and equally dangerous if used in a certain way.

And besides, the fact that this product is found in most house holds while gasoline isn't as easy accessible makes all the difference as well.

DOing this 'abuse' lol

If I were you I would definitely stop and get some serious help, your life is at danger..

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:41
^ i don't literally care about that, I've done far worse then sniff canned air...

MattTR
18-05-10, 20:43
You don't care that your life is at danger? Well I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, but if you're sniffing air and gasoline, you've pretty much hit the bottom of the line and I seriously recommend you think twice about what you're actually doing to yourself.

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:43
:vlol:

MattTR
18-05-10, 20:44
Moron.

Actually, let me rephrase that. Ignorance is all it is.

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:45
Whatever you think ;)

dizzydoil
18-05-10, 20:48
In the UK we have warnings on all of our 'canned air' stating that 'Solvent Abuse can KILL INSTANTLY' - albiet I admit its very small, and on the back near the barcode- but it is still there. So I know for certain people in my area are aware of how stupid and dangerous such things can be... and even the most idiotic people who I would expect to abuse such, don't- and they acknowledge its really bad for you. So that's good, right? :D

People need to clean der'heads out if they like think its cool to do so.

CerebralAssassin
18-05-10, 20:51
DOing this 'abuse' lol

they see you trollin...they hatin....

ring a bell?:p

Lucky Cookie
18-05-10, 20:52
Think so :vlol:

zenazic
18-05-10, 21:01
never used canned air and probably never will. i didn't even know you could get high with THIS kind of stuff. :confused:

... I like the smell of gas.

so do i, but i wouldn't sniff it.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-05-10, 22:17
I have never heard that rule. Learn something new everyday.
yeah but a lot of people forget or dont use that rule :p I've been told i couldnt buy hairspray about 6 times.

lol :p

Love2Raid
18-05-10, 22:18
Anything can be deadly in the wrong hands.

RockSteady101
18-05-10, 22:33
Anything can be deadly in the wrong hands.

http://www.richmondcasa.org/images/photo_girl_hugging_teddy.jpg

Be afraid

Love2Raid
18-05-10, 22:37
:yik:!!!

That little girl could choke on one of it's cute ears or limbs. :mis:

Dark Lugia 2
18-05-10, 22:39
Compressed air isn't a problem... how many people do you know sniff canned air? it is dangerous yes, but thats why the cans say 'use at arms reach' and 'do not swallow'. Same said for aerosol cans, they are dangerous but who actually abuses them?

Honestly, so much fuss over this. O.o

voltz
19-05-10, 00:20
Lol! (http://www.treedroppings.com/air.php)

MattTR
19-05-10, 00:22
^ huh? Totally different kind of "canned air".. :vlol:

Catracoth
19-05-10, 00:22
I won't lie; the minute I saw this thread, I thought people actually canned air and sold it in stores...Lord knows what for.

edit: Oh dear god, they really do.

remote91
19-05-10, 03:30
I won't lie; the minute I saw this thread, I thought people actually canned air and sold it in stores...Lord knows what for.

Lmao

Apathetic
19-05-10, 03:50

I don't think it's at everybody's convenience to make a can of compressed air at home, therefor you would have to go out and buy one, wouldn't you. :p
And besides, it's very useful and effective for cleaning out dust from vents and such.

Tommy123
19-05-10, 04:03
Lol! (http://www.treedroppings.com/air.php)

....wow...lol

knightgames
21-05-10, 04:36
You'd probably be surprised at how many do inhalants. Whipped creamers were the rage when I was a kid. I worked at an ice cream shoppe and kids would sneak into the cooler and use the whippetes to get high.

I occassionally watch the A&E show called Intervention. There was one episode profiling Allison who was addicted to it. You Tube has pulled some of the episodes including Allison.

A fan made an condenced version. WARNING. Anyone triggered by cutting should be careful if you decide to watch. Allison had issues, which were smptomatic of here inhalant use.

JDDasfSpjbs&feature=grec

innocentvenus
21-05-10, 05:09
This is why I get my ID checked whenever I buy whipped cream or spray paint. Thanks stupid teenagers!