A bag-pudding the king did make,
And stuffed it well with plum;
And in it put great lumps of fat,
As big as my two thumbs.

The king and queen did eat thereof,
And noblemen beside;
And what they could not eat that night,
The queen next morning fried.

So I came across this lullaby from a Chinese website, alongwith this lullaby there is a Chinese translation, the first two verses seemed fine to me. But when it came to the third verse it gets really confusing and creepy.

The Chinese translation seems to indicate that King Arthur fried his queen:yik: but from my understanding the queen fried what she and the king could not eat the night before.

I really want to believe my way of interpretation make more sense because if the queen was fried it would be a really scary lullaby. And I later found out this belongs to Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes. As I learn more about it I started to see why they translated it in that creepy way. But I'm not all convinced.

Since I'm not native speaker I might really miss what is said between the lines. So this may seem a really dumb question to you all. But did the king fry the queen?:confused:

TheBloodRed
18-05-10, 03:47
Sounds like the king went out and bought some things to celebrate something.

Admles
18-05-10, 03:51
Basically, he steals some barley-meal, to make a bag pudding , they tell what he put in it - plums and fat.

The King, Queen and Nobles ate some of it

What was leftover the next morning, the Queen fried it up

aquaflute
18-05-10, 03:54
Basically, he steals some barley-meal, to make a bag pudding , they tell what he put in it - plums and fat.

The King, Queen and Nobles ate some of it

What was leftover the next morning, the Queen fried it up

I see, so the creepy version involved with frying the queen did not happen:D, good to have that cleared up.

aurora89
18-05-10, 07:32
noooo, lol. The queen cooked (fried) the *food*, hehe! Not herself. That's too funny though. Someone must have babelfished that translation...

igonge
18-05-10, 09:11
Someone must have babelfished that translation...

:pi: