PDA

View Full Version : Man creates First Synthetic Lifeform

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:02
Dr. Craig J. Venter claims to have created the first synthetic lifeform.

Hailed as: 'One of the most important scientific discoveries in the history of mankind.'

Not an altered form but a manmade form of life.

A US biologist claims to have created the first man-made cell in one of the biggest scientific breakthroughs of the past two decades.
Dr Craig Venter said his researchers had built a DNA strand from scratch and inserted it into a simple bacterium, creating so-called synthetic life....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Scientist-Claims-To-Make-First-Man-Made-Cell-Dr-Craig-Venter-Creates-Synthetic-Life-In-Laboratory/Article/201005315635730?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15635730_Scientist_Claims_To_Make_Firs t_Man-Made_Cell%3A_Dr_Craig_Venter_Creates_Synthetic_Lif e_In_Laboratory

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/05/man-creates-wor.php

Goodness Gracious.

Discuss.

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 21:02
.. and then come the zombies.

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:03
So...What have we done?

MiCkiZ88
20-05-10, 21:06
Medical advance I suppose? If we can make cells, we can replace the bad ones?

... and then come the zombies. :p

matrix54
20-05-10, 21:07
Perfect time to go shopping for pitchforks :cln:

maybe a shotgun or two

Tony9595
20-05-10, 21:08
Ok... I should stay away from that country. :pi:

]{eith
20-05-10, 21:08
http://i34.************/2h6u594.jpg

-DaNnEe..
20-05-10, 21:09
Yay, zombies! <3

Encore
20-05-10, 21:09
^ hahaha :vlol: That gif just made my day!

Seriously though, if this is real, it's amazing!

...but scary. As always, if this falls in the wrong hands...

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:10
So.

Life isn't special?

Encore, Just watched the news report, it's real. D:

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:10
So what does this mean indeed? We can bring the dead back to life?

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:11
Man has taken materials, Putt them together to form new life, Manmade life from scratch.

Not from nature.

tranniversary119
20-05-10, 21:12
Uh...cool, I guess? :p

Encore
20-05-10, 21:15
So.

Life isn't special?

Encore, Just watched the news report, it's real. D:

I don't think life itself was ever special. Life with a consciousness - humanity - is what I personally think is special. When they can create such a thing from scratch, then I'll be truly worried! D:

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:15
So technically with more research and chromosones they could build an army :p

ace_85
20-05-10, 21:16
Man has taken materials, Putt them together to form new life, Manmade life from scratch.

Not from nature.

Not exactly - what has been achieved, if I'm reading it correctly, is to successfully splice a completely artificial (ie. created) genetic sequence into an existing yeast cell. The cell will then behave according to the instructions dictated by this artificial DNA sequence. Hence the concern for the technology being used to, let's say, design a particularly infectious form of bacteria. But the technology to custom-design qualities based on genetic coding is still years away, because genes themselves are so complex

Tommy123
20-05-10, 21:17
So technically with more research and chromosones they could build an army :p

army of zombies to take over....

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:17
Hopefully thousands of years down the line all infertile women can have synthetic children :D

sandygrimm
20-05-10, 21:18
bet it's not as impressive as the latest invention of calorie free chocolate :pi:

miss.haggard
Does this mean I can have midichlorians injected into me?

Encore
Not exactly - what has been achieved, if I'm reading it correctly, is to successfully splice a completely artificial (ie. created) genetic sequence into an existing yeast cell. The cell will then behave according to the instructions dictated by this artificial DNA sequence. Hence the concern for the technology being used to, let's say, design a particularly infectious form of bacteria. But the technology to custom-design qualities based on genetic coding is still years away, because genes themselves are so complex

But as I understand he basically created a new species, that's nearly the same as saying he invented a new lifeform, right?

Chocola teapot

Well, they've created an entirely new form of life not related to any other in any way, Totally seperate from nature.
All species are realted and formed in nature, exept for his.

Catapharact
I seriously am all up for this tech. used to create transplant organs for patients. That would seriously end the controversy surrounding the use of stem cells extracted from dead fetuses, etc. etc.

Ward Dragon
20-05-10, 21:20
Not exactly - what has been achieved, if I'm reading it correctly, is to successfully splice a completely artificial (ie. created) genetic sequence into an existing yeast cell. The cell will then behave according to the instructions dictated by this artificial DNA sequence. Hence the concern for the technology being used to, let's say, design a particularly infectious form of bacteria. But the technology to custom-design qualities based on genetic coding is till years away, because genes themselves are so complex

Yeah, that's what I got out of the article too. People have already been splicing genes into bacteria to produce proteins medically (such as insulin) so this just seems like the next step. I don't think it will make a big difference medically until they figure out the specific DNA sequences required to produce materials specific to treating certain diseases.

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:20
The potential for misuse is tremendous.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:21
Wow, It's going to be like X-men. Imagine a constructed Man Bird or Mermaid :D

Catapharact
20-05-10, 21:22
The potential for misuse is tremendous.

Anymore worse then the use of genetically modified retro-viruses, antrax, etc.? Here we have something that can potentially save millions of lives and already the nay-sayers are up in arms about potential "mis-use."

ace_85
20-05-10, 21:23
But as I understand he basically created a new species, that's nearly the same as saying he invented a new lifeform, right?

It depends - I'm no expert anyway, but the report is too vague to determine what's actually been achieved. If what they've done is to get a yeast cell to follow a completely human-engineered gene sequence (and it sounds like that's what it is), then it's really more like advanced genetic modification than the creation of an entirely new lifeform.

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:23
Anymore worse then the use of genetically modified retro-viruses, antrax, etc.? Here we have something that can potentially save millions of lives and already the nay-sayers are up in arms about potential "mis-use."

I am NOT a nay-sayer.

I'm completely in favour of anything that can benefit mankind.

I was just stating it. :p

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:24
Mis-use and Good use are tremendous. Again imagine a woman who can't have children being now able too :)

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:25
Could new cells cure cancer if we were to get rid of the older ones?

edit: Sorry, Double post!

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:25
Mis-use and Good use are tremendous. Again imagine a woman who can't have children being now able too :)

Imagine a completely paralyzed or deaf and blind person regaining movement, Sight and hearing.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:27
Now who's to say we can't bring back a dinosaur :)

Zombie dinosaur apocalypse of mermaids and bird men :o

xXhayleyroxXx
20-05-10, 21:28
For some reason im neither surprised, scared or excited about this. Its just mehhh to me.

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:29
For some reason im neither surprised, scared or excited about this. Its just mehhh to me.

No Haley, Man playing god isn't exiting at all.

:p

MiCkiZ88
20-05-10, 21:30
Imagine a completely paralyzed or deaf and blind person regaining movement, Sight and hearing.

Just needs to be controlled well. But I am not going to be among the first to try out the cure when it comes available. No. I will be keeping company to my shotgun. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
20-05-10, 21:32
No Haley, Man playing god isn't exiting at all.

i know, its big news and i should be excited, but im not :vlol:

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:32
The possibilities are endless. I'm just excited if they make mutants :D

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:33
i know, its big news and i should be excited, but im not :vlol:

Ah well M'lovely, Revolutionary Scientific breakthroughs are not everyone's cup of tea. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
20-05-10, 21:34
Ah well M'lovely, Revolutionary Scientific breakthroughs are not everyone's cup of tea. :p

lol i think im so tired i cant register what it all means :p

Chocola teapot
20-05-10, 21:35
Basically man has made life that is unrelated to any other on earth, Not of nature and unique.

woody543
20-05-10, 21:39
Ooo how exciting!!! Saw this on the news just before.

I'm sure the idea of "playing God" will offend some people however.

igonge
20-05-10, 21:39
That's amazing!

But...

.. and then come the zombies.

:(

ryan91
20-05-10, 21:40
i don't know if this is good or bad. let's hope this is a good processing :D.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 21:42
Just watched a report on this. No, humans cannot be created it's more about making food and medicines ;)

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 21:48
God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs…

MiCkiZ88
20-05-10, 21:52
Man becomes God.

And there will be zombies.

Smog
20-05-10, 21:54
God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs…

Dinosaurs eat man ... woman inherits the Earth. :pi:

igonge
20-05-10, 21:55
Dinosaurs eat man ... woman inherits the Earth. :pi:

Zombie men eat women. Kitties inherit Earth <3

HappyShannon
20-05-10, 21:58

:vlol::vlol::vlol:

That's amazing :p

But does it really mean zombies? :(:p

MangelinaJolie
20-05-10, 22:03
But does it really mean zombies? :(:p

I am sure it is in the realm of possibility.

MiCkiZ88
20-05-10, 22:04
So 2012 then:

New cell research going wrong, people mutating and corpses will be reanimated
Gaga summons her little monsters to poke the fun out of anyone normal.

Catapharact
20-05-10, 22:08
^ I SERIOUSLY would be the leader of the Enclave if such a situation comes to pass.

DOWN WITH FREAKS!
DOWN WITH GAGA-NITES!

]{eith
20-05-10, 22:09
^ I SERIOUSLY would be the leader of the Enclave if such a situation comes to pass.

DOWN WITH FREAKS!
DOWN WITH GAGA-NITES!

http://i42.************/2iw6lat.gif

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 22:10
So 2012 then:

New cell research going wrong, people mutating and corpses will be reanimated
Gaga summons her little monsters to poke the fun out of anyone normal.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/023/3/6/_worship__revamp_by_Asmodiel.gif

IceColdLaraCroft
20-05-10, 22:10
Kylie's Gay army would defeat all the artificial lifeforms :P

ryan91
20-05-10, 22:12
god creates man, man creates another life form, another life form comes to consciousness, antoher life form destroys the man. happy end.

this was the hollywood version of the chain :D

Jo269976
20-05-10, 22:13
Yay, zombie apocalypse!

Catapharact
20-05-10, 22:14
{eith;4612833'][IMG]http://i42.************/2iw6lat.gif[IMG]

Did I mention that I will see to it that you get "treated" for any "mutation" resulting from this epidemic? I take of my loved ones ;).

Phlip
20-05-10, 22:14
This is too much to think about. =/ XD

trXD
20-05-10, 22:19
lol, i love how someone creates a lifeform with practically zero intelligence or instinct and everyone is like "Zombieeeeeessss!".

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 22:20
lol, i love how someone creates a lifeform with practically zero intelligence or instinct and everyone is like "Zombieeeeeessss!".
I'm assuming you didn't read the first post then.

IceColdLaraCroft
20-05-10, 22:23

You clearly didnt' see who sponsored the research

http://www.legendsofhorror.org/images/umbrella/umbrella.jpg

]{eith
20-05-10, 22:25
Did I mention that I will see to it that you get "treated" for any "mutation" resulting from this epidemic? I take of my loved ones ;).

Okay, you're forgiven. :gki:

MangelinaJolie
20-05-10, 22:27
Itchy itchy Scott came ugly face so killed him. Tasty.

4 / / Itchy. Tasty.

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 22:29

This can lead to a lot of different things, from improved medicines to 'intelligent' super-viruses, and will probably (eventually) lead to all of those things. So yes, we have the right to think "Zombieeeeeessss!". :p

IceColdLaraCroft
20-05-10, 22:34
S.T.A.R.S.

:eek:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/RiverIsMyGoddess/icons/smiley_running.gif

GameGlitcher77
20-05-10, 22:43
As long as they don't make a synthetic virus that can bring dead cells back to life I don't think we have anything to worry about. :p :ton:

Rai
20-05-10, 22:49
I'm a little like hayley, slightly underwhelmed by this news.

but anyhoo, I guess this is good for medical science and research.

spikejones
20-05-10, 22:52
Just as humans do, we've opened a whole new can of worms. Do we even have the first clue what this synthetic DNA would develop into?

GameGlitcher77
20-05-10, 22:54
Just as humans do, we've opened a whole new can of worms. Do we even have the first clue what this synthetic DNA would develop into?

Most likely some type of mutant organism... or something ;) :ton:

Love2Raid
20-05-10, 22:55
I'm a little like hayley, slightly underwhelmed by this news.

but anyhoo, I guess this is good for medical science and research.
Scientist have already been able to take cells and harvest them, or even differentiate stem cells into for example beating cardiac muscle cells! But they needed existing cells in order to do that. Now, people have actually made a cell out of scratch. That's pretty cool. :D

Gregori
20-05-10, 22:55
The potential for misuse has me ALL EXCITED!!!

ryan91
20-05-10, 22:57
maybe they will create new sex types more than just male and female for their organisms.

like teletubbies.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-10, 22:59
Teletubbies with their genitalia heads :D

http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/623/623.x600.ft.fp.theater.mermaid.jpg?

Look at her evil Mutant face! Mixing DNA of a fish and human!

Between this and the LHC the world might just end by 2012 :vlol:

trXD
20-05-10, 23:03
I'm assuming you didn't read the first post then.

Am i missing something?

Love2Raid
20-05-10, 23:04
The potential for misuse has me ALL EXCITED!!!
I'm actually more excited about how it can benefit the human kind, like growing tissues and organs. No more donors, no more transplant rejection! Some day, this might be reality.

But misuse and mutated Teletubbies can also be exciting I guess...>_>

dizzydoil
20-05-10, 23:05
Am i missing something?

Yes. Like I said here:
This can lead to a lot of different things, from improved medicines to 'intelligent' super-viruses, and will probably (eventually) lead to all of those things. So yes, we have the right to think "Zombieeeeeessss!". :p

:D

Killercowz
20-05-10, 23:08
I hope there isn't going to be a zombie apocalypse anytime soon.

ryan91
20-05-10, 23:10
^ or only vegeterian zombies :D

aktrekker
20-05-10, 23:32
I think once some valid report is made we will find this has been completely blown out of proportion. It doesn't sound like much of a change over what we could already do. And I think it's a long ways from a "new life form".

larafan25
20-05-10, 23:37
Wow this is exciting, however it would be even more exciting if I knew more info about this stuff.:p

Gregori
20-05-10, 23:38
I think once some valid report is made we will find this has been completely blown out of proportion. It doesn't sound like much of a change over what we could already do. And I think it's a long ways from a "new life form".

Always the eternal pessimist :)

Lizard of Oz
20-05-10, 23:49
This is truly a magnificent invention.

The potential this type of bio-technology has of saving lives is just the same as it has to ending many.

I'm not trying to be pessimist or a "nay-er"
I am only hoping that scientists and governmental organizations to deal with this type of technology with extreme caution. Other than that, I'm really looking forward for the future of this advancement.

LaraLuvrrr
21-05-10, 00:27
Scientists are so funny..

I saw a scientist saying today see we now know life is not some supernatural thing that can't be controlled. We now know if you plug in the right genetic code we can make life.

What the **** makes humans think they invented something after they discover it and learn how to replicate it?

Lizard of Oz
21-05-10, 00:41
What the **** makes humans think they invented something after they discover it and learn how to replicate it?

They have the right to. Look:

Invention:

The creation of a new technology, item, or process, as opposed to its application in widespread use.
An invention is the conception of a new and useful article, machine, composition, or process.
An invention is a new composition, device, or process. Some inventions are based on pre-existing models or ideas and others are radical breakthroughs. Inventions can extend the boundaries of human knowledge or experience.

voltz
21-05-10, 01:16
Creating new life forms is one thing, creating them for the Bio-weapons division is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

aktrekker
21-05-10, 03:24
Always the eternal pessimist :)

Just like when they claimed they found evidence of life in a martian meteorite.
NASA quickly distanced themselves from that one.

CiaKonwerski
21-05-10, 03:27
This should be interesting...

Glaçon
21-05-10, 16:15
I think it's amazing. Humanity has become Divine... :whi:

the ancient
21-05-10, 18:38
This shouldn't be happening
I think we are a few steps away from mas distruction

Alpharaider47
21-05-10, 18:41
I figured it was only a matter of time. If this is in fact true, then it will be interesting to see where they take it.

Kelly Craftman
21-05-10, 18:43
I wonder what will happen next :D
And i think its cool and exciting.
Of course they have to be developed even further, but they shall be cool :cool:

Peanut
21-05-10, 18:50
Its about time. -.-
I've been waiting for Zombies to Attack for months. :D
(Serious)

toxicraider
21-05-10, 19:18
I saw this on BBC news, yesterday, so I'll link that article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm

The biggest benefit is being able to produce chemicals easily, through enzymes, rather than us using fossil fuels. They could also clear up pollution. It's relatively simple to create DNA to produce a certain chemical (They've been doing it with GM organisms already), but producing an entirely new life form would be so complex, and probably not feasible for a long time.

As for negative implications, resources already exist to allow for extensive biological warfare, and has been carried out in the past (Unit 731 - 200,000 chinese estimated to have been killed by spread of Plague, Anthrax, Cholera etc. by Japanese planes). If they wanted to produce a disease that would kill everybody, then nuclear weapons would be more easily controlled and equally effective (and already exist!). So I doubt we'll suddenly see attacks using synthetic diseases.
I agree that the microbes could get out of hand, and could cause environmental damage, reduce biodiversity and kill useful bacteria. It would need to be carefully controlled.

Twilight
22-05-10, 01:48
It may be alive but does it have a soul?

Its not That surprising because we're all made up of chemicals and compounds of the Earth. It'd happen sooner or later.

Capt. Murphy
22-05-10, 01:55
Ooh. This doesn't look good for the Pro-abortion people. It's life people! But wait! When doesn't life begin again?... er, uh... Oh oh! :eek:

Gregori
22-05-10, 02:00
Ooh. This doesn't look good for the Pro-abortion people. It's life people! But wait! When doesn't life begin again?... er, uh... Oh oh! :eek:
Bacteria are life..... bu that doesn't make think twice about using bleach :D

Twilight
22-05-10, 02:11
Bacteria are life..... bu that doesn't make think twice about using bleach :D

And your immune system destroys thousands of antigens daily so life doesn't automatically mean sentient life.

aktrekker
22-05-10, 03:14
New question.
Does life have to be sentient to be worth saving?

Ward Dragon
22-05-10, 03:21
New question.

I'd say it has to be either sentient or useful to be worth saving. If it's not sentient and it doesn't serve any helpful purpose (such as medicine) then I'm inclined to not interfere with the natural order of things if the species is not fit enough to survive.

Catapharact
22-05-10, 03:25
New question.

Small answer: No.

However, given a seneio which invovled helping out sentient life to exist, prosper and evolve for the price of sacrificing non-sentient beings, you can sure bet that I will do the deed without hesitation. Call me a speciest.

igonge
22-05-10, 04:32
I this on the news yesterday and they were calling it Synthia :confused:

michaeldt
22-05-10, 04:40
this is fascinating :)

aktrekker
22-05-10, 04:44
I'd say it has to be either sentient or useful to be worth saving. If it's not sentient and it doesn't serve any helpful purpose (such as medicine) then I'm inclined to not interfere with the natural order of things if the species is not fit enough to survive.
Not meaning to get off-topic, but since it was already mentioned............
How does this non-interference fit with abortion?

Or am I just being a troll :p

Draco
22-05-10, 04:51
Fascinating.

Ward Dragon
22-05-10, 04:52
Not meaning to get off-topic, but since it was already mentioned............
How does this non-interference fit with abortion?

Or am I just being a troll :p

Oh, I thought you were talking about species in general. Didn't realize you meant in terms of abortion. That's a lot more complicated because the rights of the mother and child might conflict with each other so there has to be a judgment call about which being's rights are more important. My personal view is that during the first trimester the baby is so undeveloped that the mother's rights come first and she should be allowed an abortion if she wants. During the third trimester, the baby is nearly completely developed already so there shouldn't be any abortions at all (but if the mother's life is in danger then do whatever it takes to save her even if it means the baby will die). I'm kind of undecided on the second trimester. I think abortion should be an option there if there is a good enough reason, but it should be strongly discouraged. Granted I've never been pregnant, but I would think if someone really doesn't want the baby then they would get an abortion immediately instead of waiting for later on in the pregnancy. I don't understand why there even are abortions late in the pregnancy (aside from extreme medical circumstances) because I don't get why anyone would wait that long if they wanted an abortion.

aktrekker
22-05-10, 06:04
Oh, I thought you were talking about species in general.

I was originally. When I saw the post mentioning abortion and then saw your post, I got to wondering....

Glaçon
22-05-10, 06:10

The biggest benefit is being able to produce chemicals easily, through enzymes, rather than us using fossil fuels. They could also clear up pollution. It's relatively simple to create DNA to produce a certain chemical (They've been doing it with GM organisms already), but producing an entirely new life form would be so complex, and probably not feasible for a long time.

As for negative implications, resources already exist to allow for extensive biological warfare, and has been carried out in the past (Unit 731 - 200,000 chinese estimated to have been killed by spread of Plague, Anthrax, Cholera etc. by Japanese planes). If they wanted to produce a disease that would kill everybody, then nuclear weapons would be more easily controlled and equally effective (and already exist!). So I doubt we'll suddenly see attacks using synthetic diseases.
I agree that the microbes could get out of hand, and could cause environmental damage, reduce biodiversity and kill useful bacteria. It would need to be carefully controlled.

:tmb: I agree, wholeheartedly.

New question.

I think it's silly to generalise all species like that.

I this on the news yesterday and they were calling it Synthia :confused:

Aww! That's adorable :D

aktrekker
22-05-10, 06:54
I think it's silly to generalise all species like that.

Think what you want, it's a valid question.

Or, if you wish, what level does a non-sentient life have to reach to be considered worth saving? Or what makes it worth saving or not?
Taking this creature as an example, does it not deserve to exist just because it was manufactured artificially?

Glaçon
22-05-10, 07:02
Think what you want, it's a valid question.

Or, if you wish, what level does a non-sentient life have to reach to be considered worth saving? Or what makes it worth saving or not?
Taking this creature as an example, does it not deserve to exist just because it was manufactured artificially?

Anything capable of emotions, deserves to live.

What I meant by generalising is that, surely different rules should apply for different species. IE; A human being obviously shouldn't be discarded as bacteria!

Scio
22-05-10, 07:33
Well this rocks:

"If we can really get cells to do the production that we want, they could help wean us off oil and reverse some of the damage to the environment by capturing carbon dioxide."

That's the kind of science I like to hear :ohn:

aktrekker
22-05-10, 07:40
Anything capable of emotions, deserves to live.

Are emotions what makes a creature sentient?
How can we possibly know if a creature has emotions? Do we assume it has emotions if it stirs emotions in us? Or if it has some sort of brain structure do we assume it has emotions?

I don't mean to start a controversy, but these are the kind of questions we need to ask before we start messing with life.

Glaçon
22-05-10, 07:43
Are emotions what makes a creature sentient?
How can we possibly know if a creature has emotions? Do we assume it has emotions if it stirs emotions in us? Or if it has some sort of brain structure do we assume it has emotions?

I don't mean to start a controversy, but these are the kind of questions we need to ask before we start messing with life.

Well, usually it's obvious. Animals are easily able to project emotion, they cry etc. But I really don't think bacteria feels fear, or pleasure, or any other emotion.

aktrekker
22-05-10, 07:46
You never know. Some people think plants have emotions. They do seem to react to strong emotions in people.

Glaçon
22-05-10, 07:48
You never know. Some people think plants have emotions. They do seem to react to strong emotions in people.

Yes but EVERYTHING is capable of producing emotions in human kind :tea: That doesn't mean that a hanging piece of art is sentient.

ozzman
22-05-10, 12:42
it's good we could possibley save lives with this new find, hopfuly no zombies though [goes to buy magnums and a few shotguns]

MiCkiZ88
22-05-10, 13:22

I agree that the microbes could get out of hand, and could cause environmental damage, reduce biodiversity and kill useful bacteria. It would need to be carefully controlled.Interesting! :tmb: It has so many benefits if used correctly.

But I always fear some sick government or company wants to use it to insert those new chemicals in to products we buy, thus "brainwashing" us in a way.

I think I am gonna start growing my own food now.. :p

[/conspiracy drama]