PDA

View Full Version : The Musicians' Corner

spikejones
22-05-10, 06:47
Whether you're into gospel, blues, jazz, reggae, ska, hip hop, rock, funk, or w/e. and you play an instrument, here's the place to talk about it. It doesn't matter if your medium is a turntable, tamborine, or vocal chord. Lets all get together and talk about making music :).

I just recently today got off my butt and restrung my old acoustic that had previously only had 5 strings. After putting a new set of strings on it, I'm in love with it all over again. Its been years since I played any so I went ahead and bought some instructional materials, actually a bundled book/dvd/cd/chord dictionary. I'm actually pretty stoked since when I used to play I only ever pulled riffs off the net or got them out of guitar magazines and couldn't read real sheet music, but the materials I've got are actually teaching me real sheet music. I can play ode to joy(full rock)! So of course the book will only take me so far after teaching me notes and chords and a few songs, so the next logical step is to learn more songs! I was recently looking on line to find some sheets on songs I'd like to play, but its all in the old riff format I was playing off of 8 years ago, which I don't think would be as beneficial as real sheet music. So I remembered this application called Guitar Pro that was mentioned in a previous (now dead) guitar thread which could show the music in both forms. I've got the trial version which unfortunately won't allow me to do the one thing I want to do with it - download the .gpx files from here (http://www.guitarprotabs.org/artist/tabs/Incubus/page1.php) :(. So its looking like its gonna be 60 bucks to download those files :hea:.

Anywho.. I want to show off my baby:
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/0522100244.jpg

aurora89
22-05-10, 08:06
I'm using the summer to regain/surpass my flute skills. :D I've regained most of what I had in about an hour and a half over two days, which is nice. My tone still sounds a little off but I'm retraining my hand grip for less pain (arthritis problems with my fingers) and I've been a little faster I think.

I keep my brothers entertained by playing "Still Alive" from Portal and other video games songs (especially from Legend of Zelda). Hehe! I need to get some more sheet music, since I struggle with reading music (I usually play by ear... bad!) and it's good practice.

Glašon
22-05-10, 08:10
Classical piano is about as musical as I get, and I'm pretty hopeless at that. I couldn't help thinking you look like Commander Shepard from Mass Effect in your picture though! :D

(It's a good thing ;) )

Dina_Croft
22-05-10, 10:19
Oooooh Great Thread!

I started playing Electric Guitar last October. I played Acoustic Guitar a few years back, but I was little, we didn't make any progress and I was bored. Now I'm really excited and I'm even thinking of going to a Music University and be a professional guitarist.:jmp:

Until now I only have one guitar, a Clifton Stratocaster called "J". I might post some pics too. Next year my dad wants to buy me another one, but I really want to get a bass or an acoustic guitar. (For sitting home with my friends situation)

HappyShannon
22-05-10, 11:09
I sing (here ya go if ya wanna see it (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=168436) :p) and I'm good at that I guess :p

I write song lyrics, I try to give them real meaning or tell a story :p I think some of the stuff I write is pretty good, while the other stuff is like "Lalalalaaaaaaa oranges and orangeee <3", way too obvious, random or just not good :p
I have a book with songs I've wrote in it, so far I only have 12 good ones, but seeing as 11 of them were written in the 2 or 3 months I'm happy :D

Plus I got a keyboard on Tuesday and I can't get my hand positions right on the damn thing yet, but other than that I'm kinda good and can play a bit of bad romance :cool:

I'd love to learn how to play guitar. My cousin says he'll teach me a bit next time he's in town :) I need to go buy a tuner though... :vlol:

Seb_01225
22-05-10, 12:12
classical piano here :)
currently learning Chopin nocturne no.20

tombraiderluka
22-05-10, 12:23
I make pop music. Pop mixed with Dance, Electro and Funk. I play the piano and sing. I also write songs and I am the scriptwriter and producer for my music video which is now waiting to be shot. So I pretty much do everything with what I make. :)

gidierre
22-05-10, 12:32
Lets all get together and talk about making music :).

the trial version which unfortunately won't allow me to do the one thing I want to do with it - download the .gpx files from here (http://www.guitarprotabs.org/artist/tabs/Incubus/page1.php) :(. So its looking like its gonna be 60 bucks to download those files :hea:.

bass player here :D
my uberhuman idol forever: one Mr. Jack Bruce :kneels:;

btw
why can't you download those *.gp* files?
or did you simply mean you download them, but can't use them w/trial version? :confused:

trlestew
22-05-10, 13:18
I play the trombone, but I'm not that into it.
I mostly enjoy playing it during a Jazz piece. Not much of a musician :o

I would like to learn how to play Piano, or guitar, or maybe even bass.
Undecided...

gidierre
22-05-10, 13:39
I would like to learn how to play Piano, or guitar, or maybe even bass.
Undecided...
right in that logical order, it's simpler :)
first learn piano, then guitar and then bass

Laurencarter
22-05-10, 13:57
I play piano and guitar, not particularly good at both but I do enjoy the couple of hours a week that I spend playing.

toxicraider
22-05-10, 16:55
I play piano and clarinet. I used to play recorder to a pointlessly high level, and I have a;
http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/10549_l.jpg
But can't really play it. :p

I have a piano exam coming up actually, and it could coincide with my AS exams, which won't be good. :o

22-05-10, 17:01
Nice thread :)

I played guitar for a while, but haven't got much time for it now :/ It relaxes me I guess.. I mostly listen to rock and metal, but I'm into reggae and similar stuff aswell :)

spikejones
22-05-10, 17:14
I'd love to learn how to play guitar. My cousin says he'll teach me a bit next time he's in town :) I need to go buy a tuner though... :vlol:
theres more than one way to skin a cat ;)

you could tune the guitar "by ear" off of the keyboard!
however, tuners aren't really all that expensive to be honest. The one I bought when I got my guitar restrung is a Planet Waves "headstock tuner" which doesn't use a microphone, rather tunes by picking up vibrations on the headstock. At first I was doubtful about how well it would hold up to a standard tuner like I used with my electric, but it works really really well and has the benefit of being able to be used in noisy places. If you understand sound waves then its not a far leap to understand that the vibrations on the headstock are at the same frequency as the waves.. so its actually a pretty precise method.

Then there is always, in the absence of other tuning devices, the ability to tune it to itself at the very least. By playing 'A' on the 'E' string, you can tune your 'A' string, then play 'D' on the 'A' string to tune the 'D' string. and so on.

btw
why can't you download those *.gp* files?
or did you simply mean you download them, but can't use them w/trial version? :confused:

as far as I know it is free to download the the guitar pro files, but you need to have the full version to open any files that are not "built in" to the trial version.

t-raider26
22-05-10, 17:35
I sing :tmb: and I play the tenor, alto, and baritone saxophones. And I play piano :)

HappyShannon
22-05-10, 17:46
theres more than one way to skin a cat ;)

you could tune the guitar "by ear" off of the keyboard!
however, tuners aren't really all that expensive to be honest. The one I bought when I got my guitar restrung is a Planet Waves "headstock tuner" which doesn't use a microphone, rather tunes by picking up vibrations on the headstock. At first I was doubtful about how well it would hold up to a standard tuner like I used with my electric, but it works really really well and has the benefit of being able to be used in noisy places. If you understand sound waves then its not a far leap to understand that the vibrations on the headstock are at the same frequency as the waves.. so its actually a pretty precise method.

Then there is always, in the absence of other tuning devices, the ability to tune it to itself at the very least. By playing 'A' on the 'E' string, you can tune your 'A' string, then play 'D' on the 'A' string to tune the 'D' string. and so on.

Ah, I forgot you can tune it with the keyboard! :eek: :D
I'll try that, but I think I'll buy a tuner and use that, I don't really trust my ears :pi: :p

suli
22-05-10, 18:00
wooohhhooo hola musicians! :jmp:

I love music and singing morethan anything in this world, I do write songs all the time (since I was 14.. a song or sometimes two a day imagine!, but of course I slowed down now).. but I dont play any instruments (through choice) cause music was something to ran away from the real world and then to sit and try to learn an instrument is ruining it for me! so I decided not to learn any instruments!

these days I'm a working on a song cycle about a Jamaican boy..it involves lots of reagge and lots of researche about the history of the country as well..so pretensious but i'm enjoying every second of it! i've been working on it for couple of monthes now but only managed to finish three complete songs so far :(..I hope I get it finished by the end of the summer thoughhh I'm so excited for it!

BlueJ97
22-05-10, 18:02
Hi Everyone :D
I really love music ! :D
and i'm glad this thread is made :D
I play the guitar and I sing I also play a little bit of piano :p

Atlantean-Squid
22-05-10, 18:27
I'm a bit of a crooner. Sometimes I try to play keyboard too.

Laralissa
22-05-10, 18:29
I play Piano by ear, as in I cant read notes to save my life. Well... I suppose I could if I really wanted to, but at the end of the day, I dont. I did take lessons for some time but I just didnt like being limited to somebody elses creation, if that makes sense. I do it as a hobby, so I would never want to stress over stuff like having a proper 'level' in playing or anything. I wouldn't say Im really good at it, but I do pick up tunes really quickly and can play basics like 'My Heart will go on' from Titanic and all that :p Its basically just a stress reliever for me.

remote91
22-05-10, 18:56
I go through phases of trying and failing to learn the piano.

VictorXD
22-05-10, 20:28
I play the piano and flaute:) I only know how to play one thing on he guitar....TR 1 theme!
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_images/57889010/awesome_face_normal.jpg

spikejones
22-05-10, 20:36
ZOMG!! I just had a stellar idea! What if... there was a real guitar version of guitar hero? Admittedly learning an instrument can be frustrating at times, but if they were to make a game out of it, it would totally rock and the rewards would be ever so sweet. Its really not that far fetched of an idea if you think about it. The way I see it, you can easily connect an electric guitar to a computer to record stuff. To take it a step further, you can have an application that would detect the tones and tell you if you are in tune, flat, sharp, etc.. Very similar to guitar hero, you would have the musical score scroll across the screen. However instead of falling from top to bottom, the music would scroll right to left and be displayed in either standard musical notation, or "tab" format - or both. Tempo could be adjusted on it for practice, slow to start off and once you are comfortable you can turn the dial up a bit until you get proficient enough at the song to play it at normal speed. And of course included with the software would be instructional lessons on how to play notes and chords, providing chord progression lessons.

Software like that could easily be implemented for a variety of instruments really, even if it isnt an electric instrument. One could have a clip on mic plugged into the computer to transmit acoustic type instrument sounds.

If something like that existed I would totally get it.

HappyShannon
22-05-10, 20:50
^ That would be so fantastic <3

lara c. fan
22-05-10, 20:53
ZOMG!! I just had a stellar idea! What if... there was a real guitar version of guitar hero? Admittedly learning an instrument can be frustrating at times, but if they were to make a game out of it, it would totally rock and the rewards would be ever so sweet. Its really not that far fetched of an idea if you think about it. The way I see it, you can easily connect an electric guitar to a computer to record stuff. To take it a step further, you can have an application that would detect the tones and tell you if you are in tune, flat, sharp, etc.. Very similar to guitar hero, you would have the musical score scroll across the screen. However instead of falling from top to bottom, the music would scroll right to left and be displayed in either standard musical notation, or "tab" format - or both. Tempo could be adjusted on it for practice, slow to start off and once you are comfortable you can turn the dial up a bit until you get proficient enough at the song to play it at normal speed. And of course included with the software would be instructional lessons on how to play notes and chords, providing chord progression lessons.

Software like that could easily be implemented for a variety of instruments really, even if it isnt an electric instrument. One could have a clip on mic plugged into the computer to transmit acoustic type instrument sounds.

If something like that existed I would totally get it.

There was once a keyboard on like that on Nintendo, named Miracle. Ages ago though.

miss.haggard
22-05-10, 23:03
Guitar, been playing off and on for almost 7 years, even though it doesn't sound like it! :p I've got some videos up in my creative crap thread, other than that I don't play much else.

Spike - Your idea of the IRL guitar hero is I believe in development. I know I heard something about it and was ****ed because my friends and I came up with the same idea! :D

CroftGameGirl
24-05-10, 21:12
Yay :D
Great thread :)
I play the guitar and the bass and am kinda learning the piano.
I'm also studying music as a BTEC :jmp:

---

Admittedly learning an instrument can be frustrating at times, but if they were to make a game out of it, it would totally rock and the rewards would be ever so sweet.

If you're talking about it getting people motivated to learn, then I don't think it's a good idea =/
People should want to learn an instrument. Not be in it mainly for experiencing it as a video game.
However, if you're saying it can be used to help people to learn to play songs, almost like Singstar helps people learn about tuning etc., then I say it's a great idea :D

Aranara
24-05-10, 21:17
How come I never saw this thread? :pi:

I've been playing thr guitar for a year now :D
Also tried learning the piano...failed epicly.

rowanlim
25-05-10, 00:49
@Chris: Nice to see your guitar alive & kickin'! :D

I played the piano since I was 7 yrs old, I took violin lessons for 3 months then I continued learning it on my own for about 4 yrs. I can play the cello & the viola, but since I don't personally own the instruments, I'm not quite sure how I can further improve my skills on them. I can play a bit of guitar (I've a problem memorizing the chords lol!), just a few simple songs. I've a tin whistle (I can play the Titanic theme song :p), I'm learning how to play it online. I've tried other instruments, I suppose if I've the money, I'd love to learn the tenor saxophone :p

spikejones
25-05-10, 01:11
I played saxaphone, clarinet, contra-bass clarinet, and violin back in school (orchestra and band classes). I think I still have the old clarinet around somewhere at my moms house. Its a wooden one. I thought to pick it back up at one point, and even tried looking on line at some videos but I couldn't remember the first thing about it. So I just tried playing the blues by ear. I do that with the harmonica as well, whenever I come across one.