PDA

View Full Version : Haterade

Quasimodo
23-05-10, 12:54
Do you think words like "homophobe" and "racist" get thrown around too freely?

I do. I think there's a difference between someone who has misconceptions about a group out of ignorance and a person who actually goes and harms a person because of their race, sexuality, and so on. When you call someone a racist when they fit in with the former, I see it as lumping them in with lynchers.

It is important to place a stigma on such things because thoughts become words, and words become actions, but I don't see the sense in treating an ignorant person with as much fiery hatred as the real violent haters have for other groups.

Jo269976
23-05-10, 12:56
Yes I do. As well as the obvious scenarios you have pointed out, I have seen people been called racist or homophobic just for having a different opinion on something.

Quasimodo
23-05-10, 12:57
Yes I do. As well as the obvious scenarios you have pointed out, I have seen people been called racist or homophobic just for having a different opinion on something.

Yeah, it's become a knee-jerk reaction.

lara c. fan
23-05-10, 12:58
I do as well. Problem being, half the people that start saying it have no clue of its proper meaning, and they hardly know the person they're saying that to.

Paddy
23-05-10, 12:59
Ive heard people use it without even knowing what it really means lol.

Laralissa
23-05-10, 13:00
Yes. I think that was made blatantly obvious by a certain someone's reply in one of the last threads.

Johnnay
23-05-10, 13:03
TBH I would like a stigma to be placed here on TRF regarding Homosexuality and other issues

I think Rude words like the ones you mentioned are at times freely thrown around here especially at the young kids which do come here in this forum

but I agree with what you said Quasi.

Laralissa
23-05-10, 13:04
TBH I would like a stigma to be placed here on TRF regarding Homosexuality and other issues

I think Rude words like the ones you mentioned are at times freely thrown around here especially at the young kids which do come here in this forum

I was barely able to understand what your point in that entire post was so Ill just ask one simple question:

Do you even know what the word stigma means? It seems to me you've totally misunderstood it.

Not to mention it was you who started throwing the word 'homophobe' around in the other thread. Seriously, make up your mind.

Johnnay
23-05-10, 13:06
I was barely able to understand what your point in that entire post was so Ill just ask one simple question:

Do you even know what the word stigma means? It seems to me you've totally misunderstood it.

No I don't know what it means.

Laralissa
23-05-10, 13:07
*facepalm* Then why use it?! I give up.

lara c. fan
23-05-10, 13:09

Oh, the delicious irony...

Dennis's Mom
23-05-10, 13:12
Oh, absolutely. I'm also tired of "rape"being over-used. We raped that team!

It show a lack of understanding for what the word truly represents. I know people do it because they think it's clever or funny, but should some things be clever or funny? Do we really need to denigrate and diminish things just to be "funny?"

Lara Croft!
23-05-10, 13:15
The word "stigma" can refer to many things http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigma

The social stigma is basically something negative Johnnay. Stigma comes from a greek word and means "scar or spot" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_stigma
When someone is given a stigma, it means that you label them in a negative way. If I for example write something in a homosexuality thread and some people see my post in the wrong way, they may give me the "homophobe" stigma. Not being a homophobe, that title would scar me and marginalize me from others.

I now hope you, as well as others, have understood the meaning of the word.

Mad Tony
23-05-10, 13:15
Yes, particularly with regards to racism (which may I point out does not work both ways). Since there are little to no people over here who don't like Obama I've been called a racist dozens of times simply because I've said I don't like him. That's just one example.

Paddy
23-05-10, 13:17
At least know what a word means before using it lol.
In regards to using some words in a different way, I hate political correctness. Doesnt bother me so much how some people mince with words.

Lemmie
23-05-10, 13:20
I think that such terms are far too commonly used on the internet, and claims of people being racist or homophobic should be carefully scrutinised.

However, both racism, homophobia and other kinds of hateful behaviour are still not unusual. :(

Mad Tony
23-05-10, 13:25
However, both racism, homophobia and other kinds of hateful behaviour are still not unusual. :(Yep, but I think they're less common than a lot of people believe.

Andyroo
23-05-10, 13:27
I can't stand people throwing around 'racist' like free stickers. Specially when it's an entire country labeling another country as 'racist', usually to hide their own negative views.

Paddy
23-05-10, 13:27
I can't stand people throwing around 'racist' like free stickers. Specially when it's an entire country labeling another country as 'racist', usually to hide their own negative views.
Or they use words like that as a generalisation like so often occurs on this forum and society.

Mad Tony
23-05-10, 13:29
Or they use words like that as a genTo beralisation like so often occurs on this forum and society.To be fair on this forum the word racist isn't thrown around that much. Homophobe certainly is though.

Paddy
23-05-10, 13:31
To be fair on this forum the word racist isn't thrown around that much. Homophobe certainly is though.
Pretty much yeah.

Glašon
23-05-10, 13:32

Yes.

I.Can't. Stress. How. Much. That. Drives. Me. Up. The. Wall.

Lara Croft!
23-05-10, 13:33
To be fair on this forum the word racist isn't thrown around that much. Homophobe certainly is though.

Really? I chose the example randomly. I can't say I've see it happen here. But then again, I rarely come to chat threads.

Johnnay
23-05-10, 13:36

I would say not just this forum but.... Possibly in some places around the world too.

Encore
23-05-10, 13:47
I agree about the homophobic tag, I've witnessed it myself - some people like to claim that straight people are the freaks, and that the natural and normal thing is to be bissexual. And if I happen to disagree, behold, I'm a homophobic. Regardless of the fact that I support all gay rights, it seems for some people that just being 100% straight is enough to label me homophobic. :hea:

But, when it comes to racism, I have to say - racism is always brought on by ignorance. So, it's not that easy to separate the two types of people. I guess the actions are what matters, not just the words, but I also think it's of the utmost importance to prevent spreading of negative stereotypes, even if they're somewhat harmless on the surface.

Buffy87
23-05-10, 14:24
Yes, particularly with regards to racism (which may I point out does not work both ways). Since there are little to no people over here who don't like Obama I've been called a racist dozens of times simply because I've said I don't like him. That's just one example.

This is true. It seems that as soon as you say a bad word against anyone of a different race or nationality, you are accused of being racist.

As regards being homophobic.. I think it is thrown around a lot in society. Now I am in total support of gay rights and I appreciate that there are a lot of people out there who are homophobic and in my mind that's an awful mindset to have.
However, my male friend was once in a bar with me and a few of my friends and he was approached by a guy - my friend politely informed him that he wasn't gay and all of a sudden is pelted with insults and this guy and his friends start calling him a homophobe, simply because he told them he wasn't interested. I mean really.

Mr.Burns
23-05-10, 14:24

Not all the time, no. But I have noticed that it does crop up fairly often when things turn heated in a controversial topic.

As others have pointed out, these words are often used in the wrong context because many people don't fully understand the meanings. These words get tossed around often enough in the media, internet, etc. They are quite harsh and broad words. So it's not unusual for someone to use one in a certain context, which may not be the most apt choice of words. Once this happens enough, people start seeing what the word implies without researching it's actual meaning and start using it as a "Jack of all trades" type. Most people forget that there are plenty of words in the English language that can describe a particular situation other than say "racist" or "homophobe".

Case in point: Some of my coworkers might be labeled as racist if you saw how they acted and what they said. Some appear to not like black people. Most of them don't dislike black people, they dislike the stereotypes that we often see. Now I wouldn't call them racist because they don't have a hatred or animosity towards the whole ethnic group. Ignorant? Probably. Unaware of the larger perspective when it comes to any stereotype (which also falls under ignorant)? Yup. Racist? Nope.

I think it's a combination of over exposure of certain words being integrated as an "fit's all occasions" word and a lack of proper understanding. I've seen the word "racist" thrown around on this forum in the past when ignorant, obtuse, blinded, etc could be used to describe a person's stance more properly.

MattTR
23-05-10, 14:27
I hear people calling people who hate gay people racist.. doesn't make any sence.

By the way a homophobe is someone who is scared of gay people, I hear that thrown around a lot, too.. and it isn't even used properly.. :rolleyes:

The proper world is segregationist.

peeves
23-05-10, 14:38
Well the words homophobe and racist being used often doesn't seem to have much meanings around does it? I used to hear some kids at my former school use the word racist and homophobe but i don't get why they use it. And people at my former school talk about certain people that are gay as well. Why bother when it pointless?

Catracoth
23-05-10, 14:41
Do you think words like "homophobe" and "racist" get thrown around too freely?

Either I'm blind or that doesn't happen where I'm from. I don't know anyone who slings the two words around freely at all - the term 'stereotype' and it's forms is pretty much the number one word that is thrown around. Personally, and I'm not afraid to admit it, I am incredibly stereotypical. I really am. It's how I identify people and determine if they might be either a danger to my well-being, someone to avoid altogether, or someone I may want to associate myself with.

If I'm being ignorant here, pardon me, but I see no other way to identify people other than by how they present themselves. I think it's the general consensus in this day and age, and always will be, regardless. I mean, I'm a great person when it comes to tolerance and acceptance - I judge no man, woman or child - and yet I'm a very stereotypical person, go figure.

Now on the note of homophobic and racist titles; I've experienced my fair share of homophobic people and I know one when I see one. As a general note, homophobia comes from sheer ignorance and intolerance and no desire to understand or empathise. When I finally decided to leave my shell and not give a damn who knows that I'm bisexual, I got loads of responses from the ignorant percent of my classmates. Inquiries to whether or not I'm attracted to them, want to get with them, etc. And I was entirely baffled. I didn't know that finding an interest in your own gender meant you wanted to be with every Tom, Dick, and Harry (or Mary, Jane, and Susie, the female counterpart).

Just because I enjoy my own gender romantically, doesn't mean I want every guy in the tri-state area. Then what's worse, is when they think that because you're attracted to them, you're going to rape them when you get a chance or something. There's a fine line between being attracted to someone and putting Flunitrazepam in their drink and committing rape.

That's my experience with homophobia, and no, I do not throw the word around freely, considering I would much rather not know who is homophobic so I know to keep my sexual orientation to myself. Despite how it's not a secret and I don't have any enemies because of it, there are some people who just don't need to know.

Now on the topic of racism, I've only had one instance with this and it was when I got suspended from school a month ago. I got into an altercation with someone at my school and long story short, he forged our instant messenger conversation and made it look like I said something I didn't say. I was suspended right away. Upon returning to school, for a parent/principal meeting, I brought the proof with me and showed the administrative staff responsible for my suspension that I said no such thing. Following this, it took them four days to "investigate" and then finally tell me, "Well, the proof you gave us is HTML which could be edited, so we're just dropping this whole thing."

I find it hilarious how they took the time to figure that out, but when the other kid (who was Caucasian by the way, as well as the entire staff) gave them his "proof," it looked like someone had typed it up on Microsoft Word. They didn't take the time to investigate him.

I narrowed it down to two theories, which could go together should one see fitting: either they didn't want to ruin the other kid's school year because he was a Freshman and just started high school, or because I'm of the African American descent, and he is Caucasian, like the administration of the school, and they favour their own race. Even my parents thought so given the administration's attitudes and facial expressions during the meeting.

Even though there's nothing I can do without getting in further trouble, it still drives me up the wall, and I will never forget this. And what's even more ironic is my school's disclaimer:

[School's name here] does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age in its education programs and activities, including admission to or employment in such programs or activities.

What a load of ****.

Legend 4ever
23-05-10, 14:42
I hear people calling people who hate gay people racist.. doesn't make any sence.

By the way a homophobe is someone who is scared of gay people, I hear that thrown around a lot, too.. and it isn't even used properly.. :rolleyes:

The proper world is segregationist.

I know. It happened to me too at my school. We were playing a game where we had to make boxes out of paper and the judge was able to destroy them if they weren't perfect. Mine had no flaws but he still destroyed it cause he liked the power. I was like whatever, but my friend started yelling "Racist." I asked her "What race do you think I am?" She's like "I don't know." She basically thought that just because I'm not from USA, I'm not white, even though I'm most obviously Caucasian.

There was also this girl that told me that the race of white Americans is WHITE and since I said I was Caucasian, I'm not white lol She also said that European is not white.

And then there was this girl who said that someone was racist to me because I'm from Serbia!? I was like, nationality is not the same as race.

coolaideonfire
23-05-10, 14:44
It's easy to label people racist or homophobic, box them in with other people who speak negatively, forget about them and give up.

I think what we need to do more as a society is work on changing people's perceptions rather than lumping them together and giving up. Most people are only negative because they haven't experienced anything other than something they dislike or they harbor misconceptions and perceived ideas that are far from the truth and so judge everyone based on those standards.

LightningRider
23-05-10, 14:53
Yeah, it's become a knee-jerk reaction.

Exactly. Some people are just so sad to see themselves wrong sometimes and then just start attacking someone through that. So sad. D:

trlestew
23-05-10, 15:01
I really dislike when people jump to conclusions about things. For example, if I were to say "white" people instead of "caucasian" , I'll probably be deemed as a racist. If someone came up to me and asked, "Do you support gay marriage" and I respond with "I have no say" then I guess I'm homophobic :rolleyes: I have family members and friends who are gay/lesbian/bi, but I dont treat them any differently. Who are you to judge me so falsely? I'm not the one who will poke fun of you or treat you unfairly due to your sexuality.
And I definitely don't go around making fun of another race or having "biased" feelings against another race.

Then there are the people who are made up of sheer ignorance. They don't even know the true meanings of those words. They just toss them around as if they were a 5 year old. Having no knowledge nor wanting to gain some.

MattTR
23-05-10, 15:04
I know. It happened to me too at my school. We were playing a game where we had to make boxes out of paper and the judge was able to destroy them if they weren't perfect. Mine had no flaws but he still destroyed it cause he liked the power. I was like whatever, but my friend started yelling "Racist." I asked her "What race do you think I am?" She's like "I don't know." She basically thought that just because I'm not from USA, I'm not white, even though I'm most obviously Caucasian.

There was also this girl that told me that the race of white Americans is WHITE and since I said I was Caucasian, I'm not white lol She also said that European is not white.

And then there was this girl who said that someone was racist to me because I'm from Serbia!? I was like, nationality is not the same as race.

That's ridiculous, you know on standardized tests here in America it asks for your race, it doesn't have "white" on the list, it has "Caucasian", which is the same thing.. it's just the proper term. Some people really aren't educated or are ignorant, sometimes it's not even worth it to explain.. I guess you just got to be understanding. :o

Simochka
23-05-10, 15:08
IMO humans are just one race so the word racist shouldn't be used at all.

But a homophobic person isn't only one who are scared of gays. Now it's also used for people who hate homosexuality.

And I don't think it's overused. It's more the word gay and fag that's overused. I see it everywhere. Internet, tv, newspapers. I'm starting to get really sick of it.

Chocola teapot
23-05-10, 15:09

Lmao, Even though that's where white americans originate.

tomblover
23-05-10, 15:25
It's funny, because I see comments like these all the time:

"You faggot, suck my ****."

Who's the faggot? :rolleyes:

Gregori
23-05-10, 15:27
There is no shortage of hatred in the world :)

Glašon
23-05-10, 15:42

Ugh. Im sorry, but those people; and especially the "box crusher", seem pathetic. :rolleyes:

Mikky
23-05-10, 16:10
God, yes! It's rather annoying. :hea:

AmericanAssassin
23-05-10, 17:00
During the primaries back in '08, I was a huge Hillary Clinton supporter. A few people asked me why I wasn't rooting for Obama and I explained to them that I didn't agree with some of the things he had to say. Their responses were usually something along the lines of "Yeah, right. You just don't like him because he's black. Racist." I got that response from several people. It was kind of funny, considering I dated the only black girl in my school. Haha! People love to throw around the racist card all the time. It's so annoying.

As for the term "homophobe," I rarely see it being used, and when I do see it, it's usually necessary. Homophobic people are 99% of the time ignorant about what they're talking about. I've found that people who are homophobic completely change their mindsets when exposed to actual homosexuals, because the stereotypes are usually wrong about them.

Catracoth
23-05-10, 17:04
It's funny, because I see comments like these all the time:

"You faggot, suck my ****."

Who's the faggot? :rolleyes:

I heard that said to a friend of mine once and I said to the chap, "You're demanding he exhibit fellatio on you...and yet you call him a 'faggot?'" and needless to say, he was embarrassed.

I think it's hilarious how they call people faggots without knowing it's really a bundle of sticks.

Minty Mouth
23-05-10, 17:11
I think it's hilarious how they call people faggots without knowing it's really a bundle of sticks.

Or, more commonly:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/mightyatom13/711px-Mr-Brains-Faggots-Pack.jpg

CerebralAssassin
23-05-10, 17:12
edit out that pic,quick!:p

Minty Mouth
23-05-10, 17:13
edit out that pic,quick!:p

A faggot is a meatball in the UK. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :confused:

CerebralAssassin
23-05-10, 17:19
ah nvm...I thought that word was censored here....

as you were folks...continue on!*goes back into corner*:cool: