PDA

View Full Version : Slim Fast Diet... Good idea?

CiaKonwerski
24-05-10, 02:32
Tomorrow I will be starting the Slim Fast Diet. I wanted to know if anyone else has eve tried this diet before and if it was or was not successful. Also, I have heard the the diet can cause problems with your kidneys. If you have any useful information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :D BTW, I will also be working out every other day to make sure that it is not just the diet I am doing. Maybe that will help with the supposed kidney problem, IDK.

AmericanAssassin
24-05-10, 02:33
I've known many people who have tried it and zero people who succeeded. It doesn't mean anything, though. Good luck to you. :)

If anything, the working out is what's going to help. :D

Jo269976
24-05-10, 02:56
Half your daily intake.

Since your eating half the calories, you can have twice as much!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/sunday_mirror/feb2004/0/2/0000600E-0036-1026-9A6F80BFB6FA0000.jpg

CiaKonwerski
24-05-10, 03:56
^I am not sure whether or not to increase my eating though. I know I can, but I rather not.

Admles
24-05-10, 03:56
It's not the diet that's the problem, it's the people following it.

Remember: "Diets don't fail people, people fail diets".

Most dieting plans work, you just have to stick with them and be consistent. Most people run off beginners enthusiasm for a while, then get sick of it and are back at the point where they started before hand.

You want to be healthier, change your lifestyle, and do it one step at a time, and give yourself a few months to do it. There are no short-term cuts.

Apathetic
24-05-10, 04:07
Half your daily intake.

Since your eating half the calories, you can have twice as much!

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/sunday_mirror/feb2004/0/2/0000600E-0036-1026-9A6F80BFB6FA0000.jpg

Anybody? No? Dust.

Glašon
24-05-10, 05:45
The only thing I could suggest, if it's supposedly bad for your kidneys, is to drink a lot of water. :o

Good luck I guess.

Another Lara
24-05-10, 08:10
My work colleague has tried slim fast... yes you lose the weight, but as soon as you come off it, you put it straight back on again and more!

The thing with diets is that you are starving your body of fats and other bad stuff, but as soon as you go back to eating normally your body thinks "Ooh I haven't had this in a while and I don't know when I will again, therefore I need to hoard as much of it as possible for the next starving episode!"

I'm trying a diet at the moment called the Dukan diet which is supposed to train your body that once you lose the fat, you don't need it back... takes a while, but it's supposed to last forever... as long as you stay sensible and don't hoard all the time! ;)

george_croft
24-05-10, 08:32
Learn to eat properly instead.

Instead of wasting your money and time on weird diets, visit a dietitian and learn how to properly create your own diet in a healthy and long-term way. It's not that you wont lose weight with the help of Slim Diet, it's the fact that in the long term, you'll probably end up weighing even more in a few months.

Changeling
24-05-10, 08:54
My mum tried it once, years ago. All it did was give her bad wind.

aktrekker
24-05-10, 09:06
I remember an article where they had done a study of 3 popular diets. They tested the Mediterranean diet, Atkins diet, and low-fat diet.
Both the Mediterranean and Atkins were very close, with Atkins slightly ahead in terms of pounds lost and general health after being on the diet.
The low-fat diet came in last by quite a bit.

I recommend the Atkins diet. I was on a similar diet for about 1 year. I lost 30 pounds without ever feeling hungry or feeling I was missing out on anything. After ending the diet, I didn't gain back a single pound for over 5 years.

Here's the article.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/16/health/main4266414.shtml

CiaKonwerski
24-05-10, 10:18
^Thank you so much for the article. :) I will definitely look into those.

tombraiderluka
24-05-10, 10:28
A diet won't be succsessful if you think it won't. It all has to do with your head. So before starting a diet, find peace in your head, don't doubt anything and outcome will be great, for sure.

Rai
24-05-10, 10:33
I've known two people who've gone on the slim-fast diet and neither were successful - or they were for a while, but it made them lethargic and gave them bad wind, once they came off the diet, they put the small amount of weight they'd lost back on.

I'd suggest a healthy eating plan, one that you know you can stick to and regular exercise, but you say you'll be doing that.

Another Lara
24-05-10, 12:33
I remember an article where they had done a study of 3 popular diets. They tested the Mediterranean diet, Atkins diet, and low-fat diet.
Both the Mediterranean and Atkins were very close, with Atkins slightly ahead in terms of pounds lost and general health after being on the diet.
The low-fat diet came in last by quite a bit.

I recommend the Atkins diet. I was on a similar diet for about 1 year. I lost 30 pounds without ever feeling hungry or feeling I was missing out on anything. After ending the diet, I didn't gain back a single pound for over 5 years.

Here's the article.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/16/health/main4266414.shtml

Atkins is one of my favourite crash diets, my boyfriend lost about 5 stone in as many months on it...

Only problem with it is, you have to be sooo careful with what you eat when you come off it as you will only pile more weight back on afterwards, that's what happens to me every time I do it...

Also, it can give you bad breath, make you very tired and might stop you going to the toilet, so you have to be VERY careful on that issue! :o

Psychos'Я'Us
24-05-10, 12:40
Screw diets, starve yourself :mis:

Siberian Tiger
24-05-10, 12:48
When dieting just isn't doing the trick...

http://i46.************/1zbummh.png

Angelx14
24-05-10, 13:06
The best way to lose weight is to cut down on portions. An you don't have to say bye bye to the cakes.

moodydog
24-05-10, 13:53
well my advice is...

dust!

anybody... know... high in fat or low in fat... dust?
anybody... know... dust?
anybody... know... dust?
anybody... know... dust?
anybody... know... dust?
anybody... know... dust?

its actually very low in fat, so you can have as much dust as you like.

Love2Raid
24-05-10, 14:36
It will work, I have no doubt. But how long are you planning to continue with it? It will only work if you take if for the rest of your life, yup, entire life.

The problem is, you will lose some pounds, but you will regain them even faster than you lost them when you go back to your usual way of eating.

Who the hell mentioned starving? :rolleyes::vlol:

No, please don't. Eating less will lower your basic metabolism. So your body will learn to do with less. You can't keep starving forever, consequence: body will get EVEN more fat than before. Now that, we don't want.

You must change your whole life. Work out more, eat the right stuff. :)

Psychos'Я'Us
24-05-10, 14:39
Don't listen to these people, seriously, starving is where it's at ;)
You could go stick your fingers, or a toothbrush down your throat too, but that's just not sexy.

Love2Raid
24-05-10, 14:40
Oh no you didn't! :ohn:

Psychos'Я'Us
24-05-10, 14:43
I sure enough did! :ohn:
Seriously, starve yourself, and after that, get a gastric bypass, if you're lucky you'll only have to eat once a month :D

Love2Raid
24-05-10, 14:46
I don't think CIA is going for the 'skeleton' look. ;)

Psychos'Я'Us
24-05-10, 14:51
Well, bb girl doesn't want to be fierce I guess.
In that case, become a gym rat...and pop roids like vitamis :D

Love2Raid
24-05-10, 14:57
I assume you're not talking about haemorr(h)oids...:tea:

Hell yeah!

http://i48.************/k562r7.jpg

Ooooh, fast edit! But not fast enough for me!

Psychos'Я'Us
24-05-10, 15:10
Lmfao, of course no! I'm talking about those lovely pills.
Mmmmhhhhmmm, bb girl be packin'!

silviu_raider
24-05-10, 15:11
I assume you're not talking about haemorr(h)oids...:tea:

Hell yeah!

http://i48.************/k562r7.jpg

Ooooh, fast edit! But not fast enough for me!
Who put a woman's head on a male body with no thing?! :yik:

On: I don't agree with these diets because I've tried them too and, indeed, you do lose weight but then you end up putting those kilos plus some extra ones.

Kelly Craftman
24-05-10, 15:36
Weight watches is good, my mum lost quite a bit with them. But it does involve going to meetings and such :/

Buffy87
24-05-10, 15:39
Tomorrow I will be starting the Slim Fast Diet. I wanted to know if anyone else has eve tried this diet before and if it was or was not successful. Also, I have heard the the diet can cause problems with your kidneys. If you have any useful information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :D BTW, I will also be working out every other day to make sure that it is not just the diet I am doing. Maybe that will help with the supposed kidney problem, IDK.

I have never dieted but my mother has gone through numerous diets even though she looks beautiful and doesn't need to) and she has recently lost so much weight ( healthily) not by any of the Slim Fast or media known diets but simply by eating a portion of salad every night. So for example, she will eat salad with prawns one night as like a tortilla wrap type thing, then eat salad with a jacket potato the next night and then chicken pieces with a salad portion the night after. And she only eats two puddings a week and has a small portion of fruit for her dinner - like mango pieces or strawberries or whatever. She has actually found that she has felt healthier and lost lots more weight doing this than she did by following some of the "media known" diets. She also does 15 minutes of basic exercises, like stepping or whatever. ( Whereby she constantly walks up and down one step). But she has gone down from a size 14/16 to a size 12 already.

I think that if you are as you say working out every day also then that is certainly going to be a good thing regardless of whether you are dieting or not. My mum tried lots of diets before she found what works for her - so perhaps it is the same for everyone. I say try it and see, if it makes you feel ill then I think you will realise it is not right for you. You could maybe discuss the possibilities of the kidney problem with a doctor - if nothing else they may be able to advise you on some good diets which you might want to consider.

robm_2007
24-05-10, 19:25
Why are you starting a diet CiaK? in your profile pic, you look so young and not in any shape to require a diet, i would've thought you to want to gain weight:confused:

theres a reason Slim Fast isnt as popular as it was in the '90s; it doesnt really work for most people. Just split up your meals into smaller portions, but eat more times a day, so that your body gets used having a new and more active Metabolism cycle; and exercising is also important.

(but im not exactly a Dietician or a Doctor. so this might not work for everyone)

jackles
24-05-10, 20:16
*tuts* and making yourself sick actually rots your teeth, makes your breath stink and generally messes you up. Very unsexy.

Sensible eating is the way forward. Starving your body as others have said puts you on starvation mode and your body tries to turn everything you eat into fat, a throwback from our stone age lives of hardship.