View Full Version : Facebook CEO Promises New Privacy Controls

Catracoth
24-05-10, 20:04
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/20100524/tc_ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2204

Hallelujah.

aurora89
24-05-10, 20:27
Hallelujah.

Ditto! I was so excited to see that. Hopefully this will lead to real improvements.

Lara Croft!
24-05-10, 23:54
It looks like that 30% that quit their Facebook accounts really troubled them. And it's understandable that they would make a change, why miss all the advertisements money by 30%? They tried to make it so that most people's accounts would be open to anyone and now they see it didn't work they go another direction. God, I hate Facebook.

Glašon
25-05-10, 00:39
I never really thought there were privacy issues? Just don't be stupid enough to set things to 'public'.

Ward Dragon
25-05-10, 01:32
I never really thought there were privacy issues? Just don't be stupid enough to set things to 'public'.

Facebook sells all information to ad companies even if it's not set to public. Not to mention if your friend uses a third-party application like a game, then that can see all of your information too even if you've set your page to private.

MattTR
25-05-10, 01:35
I never was too worried about it, but hoorah! :cool:

Glašon
25-05-10, 01:35
Facebook sells all information to ad companies even if it's not set to public. Not to mention if your friend uses a third-party application like a game, then that can see all of your information too even if you've set your page to private.

Oh my god! Are you serious?

As for the second half, there's an option for that too as far as I know. I was looking my settings the other day.

MattTR
25-05-10, 01:40

Source?

I have all my information private to people who aren't my friends, but I don't get it, what could possibly be worth selling on my "hobbies and interests" section? :vlol:

Unless they're advertising..

Ward Dragon
25-05-10, 01:40
Oh my god! Are you serious?

As for the second half, there's an option for that too as far as I know. I was looking my settings the other day.

There was a thread on it recently here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=168380). Apparently it got out how bad Facebook was with distributing people's private information so a lot of people disabled their Facebook accounts and now Facebook is trying to get those people back by promising to change. Maybe that setting you found is one of their recent concessions.

Source?

I have all my information private to people who aren't my friends, but I don't get it, what could possibly be worth selling on my "hobbies and interests" section? :vlol:

Unless they're advertising..

Yeah, Facebook sells the info to advertisers who then try to target ads to you. For example, my brother got an e-mail from Pandora which contained his Facebook info even though he had never told Pandora what his Facebook account was.

Quasimodo
25-05-10, 01:43
There was a thread on it recently here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=168380). Apparently it got out how bad Facebook was with distributing people's private information so a lot of people disabled their Facebook accounts and now Facebook is trying to get those people back by promising to change. Maybe that setting you found is one of their recent concessions.

Yeah, Facebook sells the info to advertisers who then try to target ads to you. For example, my brother got an e-mail from Pandora which contained his Facebook info even though he had never told Pandora what his Facebook account was.
We've all heard that one before! :p

MattTR
25-05-10, 01:43

Wow that's freaky, maybe those are where I get these weird Facebook emails sometimes, they end up in my spam folder anyway, but that's interesting..

*sigh* maybe I should change my Facebook email to something different then my primary one? I don't know.. Myspace was better I guess from this standpoint.. :whi:

IceColdLaraCroft
25-05-10, 01:44

I never click on the ads, I don't have games/applications. I don't participate in sending useless crap, I stopped doing the flair thing b/c it got boring. I have everything set to private or only allow my friends to see.

MattTR
25-05-10, 01:50
Yeah I never click on any ads or play games, or even do any apps.. I find it all a waste of time to be honest.. :whi:

Farmville is just way too complicated for me.. :vlol:

Glašon
25-05-10, 01:54
I'm slightly addicted to doing the quizzes. But that's about it.

Catracoth
25-05-10, 01:56
Source?

Just Google it. There's so much information on it, it's near impossible to not find anything regarding it.

MattTR
25-05-10, 01:59
^ I got it now, but a lot of websites out there are bull.

Legend 4ever
25-05-10, 02:16
It looks like that 30% that quit their Facebook accounts really troubled them. And it's understandable that they would make a change, why miss all the advertisements money by 30%? They tried to make it so that most people's accounts would be open to anyone and now they see it didn't work they go another direction. God, I hate Facebook.

30%? I doubt that.