PDA

View Full Version : I wish everyone was my color....

spikejones
24-05-10, 21:11
I've been pondering this for a while now and I'm not sure exactly what to make of it... I was playing catch with my neighbors 5 year old son one day, and at one point he asked me "why is your skin that color?" I was bit perplexed at first but what he was asking was how come I look different than him.. he's black and I'm white. Then he said after a while "I wish everyone was my color".

Brikas94
24-05-10, 21:13
Well, he's only 5 years old... I wouldn't worry much...
I think it's just curiosity speaking.:)

xXhayleyroxXx
24-05-10, 21:14
aww bless him :( tell him he's special <3

Tombraiderx08
24-05-10, 21:16
I think i would of cried, that's just too innocent :(

IceColdLaraCroft
24-05-10, 21:16
when I was 3 there was a black girl who was older that I played with and we were playing in the mud and I covered my hands and arms in the mud and said "now i'm just like you" and she said "yours washes off"

my mom told me the story.

But if I've learned anything from college it's that it doesn't matter your skin color there will ALWAYS be something

Socio-economic classes, origins, ethnicities, religion.

Look at Ireland. they're the same color the same horrible ginger people and they hate each other for being of a different religion or political identity.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-05-10, 21:18
when I was 3 there was a black girl who was older that I played with and we were playing in the mud and I covered my hands and arms in the mud and said "now i'm just like you" and she said "yours washes off"

But if I've learned anything from college it's that it doesn't matter your skin color there will ALWAYS be something

Look at Ireland. they're the same color the same horrible ginger people and they hate each other for being of a different religion or political identity.

awww poor little girl <3 but i dont get what youre saying about ireland... the point i do but the 'horrible ginger people' i dont

Apathetic
24-05-10, 21:18

Horrible ginger people?

Lee croft
24-05-10, 21:19

Sterio type

Brikas94
24-05-10, 21:19
^That's very true, unfortuantely...:(

It's a shame that children's innocence is so ignored... adults are often blinder than them...

AliMagic
24-05-10, 21:20
Just tell the kid it's normal for people to have different colour, but there's nothing wrong with that! So being black/brown/white/pale is fine! :D It's something all kids have to learn at one point besides spikejones you should feel honoured to teach him! :)

xXhayleyroxXx
24-05-10, 21:21
Just tell the kid it's normal for people to have different colour, but there's nothing wrong with that! So being black/brown/white/pale is fine! :D It's something all kids have to learn at one point besides spikejones you should feel honoured to teach him! :)

'it doesnt matter if you're black or white' <3

IceColdLaraCroft
24-05-10, 21:22
awww poor little girl <3 but i dont get what youre saying about ireland... the point i do but the 'horrible ginger people' i dont

Horrible ginger people?

Sterio type

Making my point.

the whole "ginger" concept is completely lost in America b/c there isn't that stigma over here, but you switch on BBC News and there are reports of Ginger families being forced from their homes because of harassment.

It's comical, but sad, but also illustrates the point that if it isn't skin color it'll be something else that distinguishes one from another.

AliMagic
24-05-10, 21:27
Hey IceColdLaraCroft...I'm sorry to go off-topic but whose that hunk in your avatar? LMAO :vlol:

IceColdLaraCroft
24-05-10, 21:29
Tim Robards aussieBum model & sex god

AliMagic
24-05-10, 21:39
Thank you. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-05-10, 21:46
Aww, that's a cute story. But kind of sad. :(

However, to be honest, I love the fact that everyone is different colors, shapes, sizes, etc. Makes us unique, which is an awesome thing. :D

Glašon
24-05-10, 22:18
Heh just tell him your ancestors had to adapt to cold and or alpine conditions while his had the heat and sun to deal with. There's no real differences where it counts. What a sweet kid :)

Mad Tony
24-05-10, 22:31
Look at Ireland. they're the same color the same horrible ginger people and they hate each other for being of a different religion or political identity.That's an incredibly rude and offensive generalization. I wonder how you'd react if somebody made a similarly disgusting remark about homosexuals.

Apathetic
24-05-10, 22:32
That's an incredibly rude and offensive generalization. I wonder how you'd react if somebody made a similarly disgusting remark about homosexuals.

Go ahead.

Ginger pubes.

AliMagic
24-05-10, 22:35
Um...No offense Apathetic but no need to get stressed out, I'm afraid I kind of have to agree with Mad Tony. But I mean no offense. :)

Apathetic
24-05-10, 22:36
Um...No offense Apathetic but no need to get stressed out, I'm afraid I kind of have to agree with Mad Tony. But I mean no offense. :)

Stressed out? I'm perfectly chill. :) :tmb:

AliMagic
24-05-10, 22:37
Sorry once again no offense but I thought you got a little mad.

It was the way you said "Just try it. Ginger pubes." :)

spikejones
24-05-10, 22:40
you know, its kinda sad that at 5 years old this kid is having that thought. and it makes me wonder what it is rooted in. granted I didn't grow up as a minority so I can't speak for what it is like, but it seems to that if a kid at such a young age is at school and has fun playing with the other kids his age, regardless of their color or gender, that there wouldn't be this desire for everyone to be the same color. So it makes me wonder.. what is the root of these emotions? Has he been subject to racisim already?

AliMagic
24-05-10, 22:44
I don't think it's that...Just the kids never really being given any info. As I said just say to him "I'm this colour because that's the way I was born but everyone is born with different skin colours so it's perfectly normal."

Ward Dragon
24-05-10, 22:52
Alright, let's be careful with the generalizations here. For example, not all Irish people have red hair. And for the love of all things holy, let's not turn this thread into another argument about homosexuality XD

you know, its kinda sad that at 5 years old this kid is having that thought. and it makes me wonder what it is rooted in. granted I didn't grow up as a minority so I can't speak for what it is like, but it seems to that if a kid at such a young age is at school and has fun playing with the other kids his age, regardless of their color or gender, that there wouldn't be this desire for everyone to be the same color. So it makes me wonder.. what is the root of these emotions? Has he been subject to racisim already?

Without any knowledge of what this kid may have experienced, I think it's simply that he's used to his own skin color and presumably his family is roughly the same color as him so it's what he's used to seeing on other people too. It probably seems a little strange to see people of different colors at first, but I'm sure he'll get used to it and realize that not everyone looks the same as him :)

AliMagic
24-05-10, 22:54
Exactly Ward Dragon. :)

Encore
24-05-10, 22:55
I think the kid is just confused, which is perfectly normal for his age. He has grown accostumed to his own skin colour and that of his parents so it's normal that for him, the diferent skin colours are the "strange" ones.

Glašon
24-05-10, 23:02
Alright, let's be careful with the generalizations here. For example, not all Irish people have red hair. And for the love of all things holy, let's not turn this thread into another argument about homosexuality XD

:vlol:

Yes, please! XD

peeves
24-05-10, 23:50
It's natural to have different skin colors. There are lots of different colors all over the world.

Lara Croft!
24-05-10, 23:51
We are all born colorless until one day at some point we see someone of different color and then we all come to realize how different people can look. That's what happened to the boy. I hope that everyone understands that no matter the color we are the same.

Rai
24-05-10, 23:54
Little kids have a way with words don't they? This all seems pretty innocent to me, I don't think it necessarily means he has been subject to racism. It could be that he is just learning to differentiate between colours or he likes being black and he just once everyone (or everyone he knows maybe) to be like him. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

He'll learn in time to learn that it s 'okay' for people to be 'different'. Especially if he has people around him who can teach him that.

Gregori
24-05-10, 23:57
I can testify that the majority of Irish people do not have red hair!!

Capt. Murphy
25-05-10, 00:36
I doubt the child has been exposed to racism. He's just genuinely and innocently ignorant.

Someone I used to know told me her son had a friend in school that was a mixed race -with Chinese relatives. And her son -he asked his friend if he was "Chinese". So, somehow his mother found out, and he got in "trouble" because he called the other kid a "Chinese". So, she took her son over to their house and made him apologize to the (mixed) "Chinese" kid.

So, I'm thinking... Her son didn't mean anything harsh by it. He was just ignorant... or, a more accurate way to put it - he wasn't 'politically correct'. :rolleyes: Having her son go ever there and apologize was too strict of a punishment and probably embarrassed him-IMO. And, he might possibly think that even though someone is of a different heritage/ancestry/race -whatever you do - don't mention it, because they could get offended... And they'd be offended because that's a bad thing. :rolleyes:

So he'll grow up to not see different people as equal, he'll just feel sorry for them because they're not the same race/color as he is. :p

Legend 4ever
25-05-10, 01:56
That's an incredibly rude and offensive generalization. I wonder how you'd react if somebody made a similarly disgusting remark about homosexuals.

I absolutely agree.

--------------------------

The story is cute, not scary; it's a five year old FGS.

Capt. Murphy
25-05-10, 02:42
What if he/she is a "Ginger" themself? If the black people have taght us anything - racial slurs are okay if you're the same race that remark refers to. :pi:

:p j/k

They meant it in a facetious way. Like, oh those Gingers are so horrible since [whoever] is bothering them. Woooh! They've gotta go, getcher peetch forks n torchees. We's a going on uh Ginger hunt! *spit*

:rolleyes:

Draco
25-05-10, 02:51
Blame Evolution.

ECB
25-05-10, 02:53
:( That's so sad...

I think every kid questions that one time or another though...

Alpharaider47
25-05-10, 02:55

I think I resent that lol.

Glašon
25-05-10, 03:00
Guys. The ginger comments were obviously tongue in cheek.

Capt. Murphy
25-05-10, 03:03
Guys. The ginger comments were obviously tongue in cheek.

They meant it in a facetious way.

:rolleyes:

Better change the original post. Nobody seen your other reply defending/explaining your usage of it. :pi: