PDA

View Full Version : What Languages can you speak?

Gregori
25-05-10, 22:35
I can speak some English, Irish and French!!!

Gladous
25-05-10, 22:37
English: Native language

French, German, a little Spanish, Russian, and Japanese. :o

I know more French than any other language besides English but I can't write it. :p

Nerd For Life
25-05-10, 22:37
Portuguese and English fluently. I can understand Spanish and most French, and very little German. Not good at writing in any of those three, though. I also know some Latin because I studied it for two years.

TRL2009
25-05-10, 22:39
English
Spanish
Italian
French

Legend of Lara
25-05-10, 22:39
English, Icelandic, some Spanish, some Danish, and some very limited Japanese.

Love2Raid
25-05-10, 22:40
Eyjafjallajökull!!!!!!!

]{eith
25-05-10, 22:41
English and Irish but my Irish is dreadful. :p

Lara's home
25-05-10, 22:41
English, Engrish, Norwegian, Danish, Sweedish and spanish.

:p

Anata wa no baka, ne?

Legend of Lara
25-05-10, 22:42
^ I'm not. You are. :p

Eyjafjallajökull!!!!!!!

Hilarious.

Lara's home
25-05-10, 22:44
Watashi wa fail :(

Tombraiderx08
25-05-10, 22:46
English, I speak French pretty well, and my German isnt the best, lol.

Mr.Burns
25-05-10, 22:49
English, some Spanish and I am currently studying Hindi. :)

Trigger_happy
I speak English natively, and know a little French and Spanish-I could understand them both written and probably spoken, but I haven't done any for years. I wish I was fluent in another language, but hey.

Oh yeah, and I did Japanese , but I know like nothing.

EmeraldFields
English naturally, but I'm in my fifth year of Spanish so I can pick it up here and there when someone is talking to me.

Catapharact
25-05-10, 22:51
English, some Spanish and I am currently studying Hindi. :)

Hindi mushkil zabaan heey laken tum seekh sakhtai hoo.

Now I hope what I said there is right... Get you-know-who to translate that for you :p.

bloodstormaoa
25-05-10, 22:52
English, Irish, German and a little french.

Love2Raid
25-05-10, 22:52
Edit: Never mind.

^ I'm not. You are. :p

Hilarious.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you! :o

MiCkiZ88
25-05-10, 23:01
Finnish
English
Swedish
Spanish
German
Dutch

*Fluent.
*Basic.

Mr.Burns
25-05-10, 23:03

Now I hope what I said there is right... Get you-know-who to translate that for you :p.

Who's that? Voldemort? :p Yea I'm too new into the language to understand what you just said :-P

robm_2007
25-05-10, 23:07
I can speak some English, Irish and French!!!

I thought that it was called Gaelic? unless thats what Americans refer to it as.

I speak English (fluently)
I speak some Spanish (not enough to understand much)
I also speak very little German (I know much more Spanish, than German)

Lost_Soul
25-05-10, 23:08
English
Estonian
Russian (not fluently though, but I'm trying :p)
And a bit of Finnish (not much, but easy to learn cause of the similarity to Estonian)

Gregori
25-05-10, 23:08
I thought that it was called Gaelic :p

I speak English (fluently)
I speak some Spanish (not enough to understand much)
I also speak very little German (I know much more Spanish, than German)

Actually its called Gaeilge :p

Catapharact
25-05-10, 23:09
Who's that? Voldemort? :p Yea I'm too new into the language to understand what you just said :-P

Well if I haven't screwed anything up (or about to be the future victim of a language based prank) its supposed to say "Hindi is a hard language but you will eventually learn it."

Mr.Burns
25-05-10, 23:11
Well if I haven't screwed anything up (or about to be the future victim of a language based prank) its supposed to say "Hindi is a hard language but you will eventually learn it."

That it is. Interesting language though. :)

Legend 4ever
25-05-10, 23:18
Serbian - native language
English
Italian
Spanish
Japanese
Latin(write and translate)
A little Turkish

Edit: Oh, and I don't do "Japanese: write, can't speak; Italian - speak a little" etc. I say I speak a language if I KNOW it, which for me is almost as close to being fluent in it. That makes me able to say I speak 6 languages; I'm not just interested in them.

ryan91
25-05-10, 23:22
body language :D

ajrich17901
25-05-10, 23:26
Natural: English
Other than I can speak in Japanese, Korean and Chinese, and I know some Russian,French,Spanish and German.

Encore
25-05-10, 23:27
Besides my native portuguese, only english and spanish.

I'm comfortable reading french, but not speaking.

trlestew
25-05-10, 23:28
Native: English

And I speak and write very minimal Spanish.
And I know about one or two words in Japenese, and German.

Legend 4ever
25-05-10, 23:28
Wow, seems like we've got a lot of linguists here on forums. Most I've ever met in my life. Usually people I meet can't even speak and write English properly. lol

Johnnay
25-05-10, 23:31
Only English

besides that a very tiny bit of Armenian and Arabic.

suli
25-05-10, 23:34
Arabic, English and hopefully hopefully by the end of this summer I'll be speaking french.

daventry
25-05-10, 23:36
South African Afrikaans in witch Netherland are Related to Us ;)

Goeie Dag, my Naam is Chris en ek bly in Suid Afrika
Good Day, my name is Chris and i live in South Africa.

I even asked for a Thread in My Language. :D
Afrikaans (descendants of Netherlands) South Africa (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=123179)

My Second Language is English.

MiCkiZ88
25-05-10, 23:40
South African Afrikaans in witch Netherland are Related to Us ;)

Goeie Dag, my Naam is Chris en ek bly in Suid Afrika
Good Day, my name is Chris and i live in South Africa.

I even asked for a Thread in My Language. :D
Afrikaans (descendants of Netherlands) South Africa (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=123179)

My Second Language is English.
Isn't South African old Dutch? Sounds like a very heavy mixture of dutch and Scandinavian languages mixed together. I mean, I've only lived here for one and a half year and I can see big similarities.

Punaxe
25-05-10, 23:41
Afrikaans sounds so silly to us Dutchmen. :D No, it's not old Dutch. Based on reasonably old Dutch of course, but it's certainly gone its own way from there.

I speak Dutch and English fluently, and have reached level C1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languag es) or thereabouts in German as of this year. There's also some French and Latin in me somewhere.

daventry
25-05-10, 23:45
Dutch/Netherlands, yes its Afrikaans Related. :D

Our Forefather Jan Van Riebeeck cam to South Africa in 1652, so the Population of Netherlands build Cape Town and thus Today we Speak Afrikaans. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_van_Riebeeck

The Idea of a Netherlands Afrikaans Language Confused the Mods so much, they Locked the Whole Idea, the things i can say about a Mod Now :vlol: :vlol:

MiCkiZ88
25-05-10, 23:45
Afrikaans sounds so silly to us Dutchmen. :D No, it's not old Dutch. Based on reasonably old Dutch of course, but it's certainly gone its own way from there.

I speak Dutch and English fluently, and have reached level C1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languag es) or thereabouts in German as of this year. There's also some French and Latin in me somewhere.
Thanks for correcting me. I meant related, but my fingers are faster than my thoughts. Ah well.

I hear similarities to Swedish and Dutch. Sounds sort of cute actually. :D

Punaxe
25-05-10, 23:51
Thanks for correcting me. I meant related, but my fingers are faster than my thoughts. Ah well.

I hear similarities to Swedish and Dutch. Sounds sort of cute actually. :D

Germanic languages are all just one big family. :p

Also, with some more vivid examples, you can see how in Afrikaans (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wrvEwv26WLc), especially the grammar has been simplified quite a lot, which in old Dutch (http://www.kb.nl/galerie/gruuthuse/page_34r.xml) is actually even more complex than it is today - much like German.

MiCkiZ88
25-05-10, 23:53
It is so simple that I pretty much understand everything he is singing :p A big thank you goes to knowing so many Germanic languages.

Glaçon
25-05-10, 23:54
Germanic languages are all just one big family. :p

Also, with some more vivid examples, you can see how in Afrikaans (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wrvEwv26WLc), especially the grammar has been simplified quite a lot, which in old Dutch (http://www.kb.nl/galerie/gruuthuse/page_34r.xml) is actually even more complex than it is today - much like German.

:D It's fun finding random similarities between your native and other languages.

AmericanAssassin
25-05-10, 23:54
I can only speak English. :o

daventry
25-05-10, 23:55
Nag Mense, ek gaan nou slaap
Good Night People, im off to bed

Punaxe
25-05-10, 23:56
It is so simple that I pretty much understand everything he is singing :p A big thank you goes to knowing so many Germanic languages.

Now try the old Dutch sample. I can't even get all of it myself. :p And if you check the MP3, and only listen to the words (not reading them)... I can hardly distinguish it from old/middle High German (http://files.noctifer.net/Begirlich_in_dem_hertzen_min.mp3).

MiCkiZ88
25-05-10, 23:57
will check now.Nag Mense, ek gaan nou slaap
Good Night People, im off to bed
Weltruste :wve:

Paperdoll
26-05-10, 00:12
All of them :cln:

Alright then :pi: English, portuguese, learning spanish and french atm.

tranniversary119
26-05-10, 00:14
English. I tried to learn Spanish but I couldn't be bothered.

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 00:18
English
French
Italian
Spanish
Chinese
Arabic

And i can say dirty things in:
Portuguese
Swedish
Greek

:mis:

Glaçon
26-05-10, 00:19
And i can say dirty things in:
Portuguese
Swedish
Greek

:mis:

Why worry about being fluent in conversation, all you really need is to be able to get them into bed :mis:

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 00:20
Why worry about being fluent in conversation, all you really need is to be able to get them into bed :mis:

That's what I meant :mis:

KC Mraz
26-05-10, 00:21
Other than Spanish, only English.

Glaçon
26-05-10, 00:23
That's what I meant :mis:

Mmm, Svenskar :mis:

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 00:40
Mmm, Svenskar :mis:

Tjena kille laget, lacker?

robm_2007
26-05-10, 00:42
Serbian - native language
English
Italian
Spanish
Japanese
Latin(write and translate)
A little Turkish

Edit: Oh, and I don't do "Japanese: write, can't speak; Italian - speak a little" etc. I say I speak a language if I KNOW it, which for me is almost as close to being fluent in it. That makes me able to say I speak 6 languages; I'm not just interested in them.

i'm so jealous. are you originally from Serbia?

The US really needs to implement more of a requirement to learn another languages in school. And none of this Spanish only (thats hardly a foreign language in America), and French is too available, cuz those two are basically the only languages taught in Americans public schools. I was fortunate enough to be able to take German in highschool.

Americans are so behind in school rankings, compared to Europe where it's required that kids learn more than one other language in school; we also seem to suck in every other subject too.:o:)

I want to learn Russian and Japanese, and after that, i'm off to Arabic. Id buy a language learning software, but i dont have a computer, adn the programs run upwards of $1000.:(

Glaçon
26-05-10, 00:45
Tjena kille laget, lacker?

I won't say yes and I couldn't say no :cln:

Tommy123
26-05-10, 00:49
English: Native language

i can also kinda speak spanish and french

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 00:53
I won't say yes and I couldn't say no :cln:

wow it does work :vlol:

Fdx Croft
26-05-10, 01:02
spanish, english, french :)

Glaçon
26-05-10, 01:08
wow it does work :vlol:

Håll käften och få naken.

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 01:11

:eek:
something about getting naked
no idea :vlol:

Legend 4ever
26-05-10, 01:11
i'm so jealous. are you originally from Serbia?

The US really needs to implement more of a requirement to learn another languages in school. And none of this Spanish only (thats hardly a foreign language in America), and French is too available, cuz those two are basically the only languages taught in Americans public schools. I was fortunate enough to be able to take German in highschool.

Americans are so behind in school rankings, compared to Europe where it's required that kids learn more than one other language in school; we also seem to suck in every other subject too.:o:)

I want to learn Russian and Japanese, and after that, i'm off to Arabic. Id buy a language learning software, but i dont have a computer, adn the programs run upwards of $1000.:(

I am from Serbia. My dad is half Italian, but he doesn't even speak Italian, he speaks Russian. My mom speaks Italian and English. I started learning English when I was six so it's basically my second native language lol People say I also have no accent.

I know, I mean, I'm taking Japanese and Spanish classes in my HS and it's so much easier in USA and people also know less in their year from their European equivalents. I mean, my fourth year of Japanese here in US is like my first in Serbia.

I really like US schools though because schools in Serbia have too much in the education program so people are just forced to remember a lot of details and then they skip the essence. Here, we have less program and tasks to do, but I remember more.

Legend of Lara
26-05-10, 01:39

"Shut up and get naked."

Did I get it right? :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-05-10, 01:59
English, of course, and rapidly deteriorating Korean (I was a Korean linguist in the Army, but it's been nearly 10 years).

Alpharaider47
26-05-10, 02:01
English is me native tongue, and i can get by on my limited French.

Tony9595
26-05-10, 02:03
Yo hablo Español y algo de Inglés :D

Lemmie
26-05-10, 03:02
English is my first language. I can read French well, but my spoken and written comprehension is awful!

Currently trying to learn Gaelic. But that might go the same way as my attempts to learn German and Italian. :p

Trfansince1996
26-05-10, 03:09
I speak English.
Tambien hablo Espa~ol.

mudkip25
26-05-10, 03:10
English, Gibberish, Engrish and I'm learning Japanese.

Watashi wa osushi ga daisuki desu.
私はお寿司が大好きです。

Thank God for my spare Japanese Keyboard :p

robm_2007
26-05-10, 04:00
English, of course, and rapidly deteriorating Korean (I was a Korean linguist in the Army, but it's been nearly 10 years).

Good for you having been in the Army;)

You really should try and refresh your Korean, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

The only Lanwige of mine that is detereeating iz my Englisch..................:p

Not really, though :- )

Andyroo
26-05-10, 04:05
Learned German in school years ago, still remember some of it. I think I might get a book or something one day and try and get good at it again.

Glaçon
26-05-10, 04:11

That's like my Japanese. I used to be able to hold my own in a conversation; now it's like I'm being talked at instead of with, just replying "pardon?" "sorry, what was that?"

Kinda depressing that I've lost so much in just a couple of years.

MangelinaJolie
26-05-10, 04:13
English, of course, and enough German to get by with.

robm_2007
26-05-10, 04:25
i did this all by myself! (with only some help from an online translator to see if what i wrote was actually what i was trying to say)

Ich weiss nicht Französisch, du glücklich eichhörnchen! Eine krankenschwester ist eine sexy nilpferd sprecher vor mittagessen; und ich denke das ist nicht gelb.

(Who wants tho translate this?:p)

:D

Glaçon
26-05-10, 04:36
i did this all by myself! (with only some help from an online translator to see if what i wrote was actually what i was trying to say)

Ich weiss nicht Französisch, du glücklich eichhörnchen! Eine krankenschwester ist eine sexy nilpferd sprecher vor mittagessen; und ich denke das ist nicht gelb.

(Who wants tho translate this?:p)

I don't know French, you crazy squirrel! The nurse (speaker?) is a sexy hippo before lunch; although I don't think it's yellow.

That's about all my first semester German can give me from that. WTH did I just read? Also, you forgot to capitalise your nouns :p

Also; I just noticed the grammatical error in the Title of this thread, and it's now it's going to bug me. lol.

Carbonek_0051
26-05-10, 04:57
I only know english. :pi:

mind
26-05-10, 05:25
Slovak, Czech (it's almost the same language :vlol:), English, French

WCookie
26-05-10, 06:09
English and Portuguese :)
French is too hard to my little brain :pi:

BlueJ97
26-05-10, 06:14
I just learned a bit of japanese :D

so
english and japanese :p

silviu_raider
26-05-10, 06:14
Romanian, English, a little bit of German, French, Spanish and Italian.

lara c. fan
26-05-10, 06:18
English (Of course), A tiny bit of French, and I'm getting alright with German.

Aranara
26-05-10, 06:21
My native language, Romanian, English and German (although I can't speak it).

sandygrimm
26-05-10, 07:41
Romanian, English, German, some Spanish, some french, and some Italian! :o

toxicraider
26-05-10, 08:08
English (natively), French (conversational), Latin (better into english though), and some German (rapidly forgetting it, since 3 years ago). I learnt a little Japanese, and I know some Spanish and Portuguese, which I never really learnt, but I just picked up, and can read as it's similar to Latin.
Oh and I did a bit of greek (the old kind :p).

I can pick up languages really quickly, but I always change my mind on which one I want to learn. :D

Buffy87
26-05-10, 08:33
English ( native), French ( conversational), German ( inbetween basic and conversational. I can read German better than I can speak it for some reason).)
I am currently teaching myself Spanish.
I can speak a little Latin ( from my high school days), a little bit of Italian ( I lived with some Italian people during my final year at university). I am also trying to learn Gaelic at the moment.
You can never speak too many languages.

EDIT : Oh and technically I can read/speak Old English after learning it for my English A-Level but I'm not sure if that counts :D

Glaçon
26-05-10, 08:36
English ( native), French ( conversational), German ( inbetween basic and conversational. I can read German better than I can speak it for some reason).)
I am currently teaching myself Spanish.
I can speak a little Latin ( from my high school days), a little bit of Italian ( I lived with some Italian people during my final year at university). I am also trying to learn Gaelic at the moment.
You can never speak too many languages.

EDIT : Oh and technically I can read/speak Old English after learning it for my English A-Level but I'm not sure if that counts :D

Lol, I really doubt you did Old-English for your English A-Level... :ton:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Beowulf.firstpage.jpeg

But I know what you mean :p English contemporary of Shakespeare and such (which is actually Early-Modern) is really bloody hard to understand at times.

TombRaiderCool
26-05-10, 08:36
English and Japanese fluently. I also done Spanish and French at High School so I know quite a bit of that as well. I also know a very limited amount of German.

Cynic
26-05-10, 08:41
Native: Hungarian
Language of the country: Slovene
Foreign languages: English and German

But I would also like to speak Japanese.

Buffy87
26-05-10, 08:43
Lol, I really doubt you did Old-English for your English A-Level... :ton:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Beowulf.firstpage.jpeg

But I know what you mean :p English contemporary of Shakespeare and such (which is actually Early-Modern) is really bloody hard to understand at times.

Actually I did. So you can "really doubt it" all you like. But given that it was an English A-Level in the development of the English language then yes I did. But as I say doubt it all you like, you clearly know exactly what I have and haven't studied.
And yes we did study Beowulf as the most easily accessible example of Old English - although technically some of the prose is not "technically" Old English.

I only did one year Shakespeare at A-Level because it came under English Literature which I only studied for one year... I studied it fully to GCSE.

tidusffxwakka
26-05-10, 08:44
english and slowly japenese

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 08:47
Arabic, English, and I used to be fluent in French..now, not so much in speaking (very slow) but very good in reading and writing !

Also, know a few Spanish words to get by, and others to get me in trouble :p

Glaçon
26-05-10, 08:50
Actually I did. So you can "really doubt it" all you like. But given that it was an English A-Level in the development of the English language then yes I did. But as I say doubt it all you like, you clearly know exactly what I have and haven't studied.
And yes we did study Beowulf as the most easily accessible example of Old English - although technically some of the prose is not "technically" Old English.

Righto, no need to fire up :p I'm impressed :tmb: I'd love to learn it. I'm just so used to people telling me about how ridiculous the "old English" in Shakespeare and the like is.

tomblover
26-05-10, 08:59
Hilarious. Well, I must say it's true. Mash on the keyboard and you get the name of an Icelandic volcano. :vlol:

As for me, well...

Swedish/English fluent, N00b French, some limited Spanish (Comes in tie with French anyway...) and some very limited, self-taught Japanese. :p Also, kind of limited German.

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 09:01
Slovene (fluently) Serbian/Croatian (fluently - I understand it, write it but I am too ashamed to talk sometimes :o) English (fluently) Swedish (basic words)

Then there are languages that I understand but I have no idea how to talk or write.. Or I just know some very basic words. :D
Spanish Czech Greek Russian German

That's it! :3

Glaçon
26-05-10, 09:03
Slovene (fluently) Serbian/Croatian (fluently - I understand it, write it but I am too ashamed to talk sometimes :o) English (fluently) Swedish (basic words)

Then there are languages that I understand but I have no idea how to talk or write.. Or I just know some very basic words. :D
Spanish Czech Greek Russian German

You never told me you knew Serbian! I can't believe how linguistically educated you are! Jealous! :hug:

Legend of Lara
26-05-10, 09:04
Well, I must say it's true. Mash on the keyboard and you get the name of an Icelandic volcano. :vlol:

Dvnhgiferoih.

I have now named a new volcano! :D

lolitakethingstooliterally

Buffy87
26-05-10, 09:05
Righto, no need to fire up :p I'm impressed :tmb: I'd love to learn it. I'm just so used to people telling me about how ridiculous the "old English" in Shakespeare and the like is.

I apologise my response was a little impolite. And I understand, Shakespeare is often mistaken for Old English.

tomblover
26-05-10, 09:06
Slovene (fluently)
Serbian/Croatian (fluently - I understand it, write it but I am too ashamed to talk sometimes :o)
English (fluently)
Swedish (basic words)

Spanish
Czech
Greek
Russian
German

I still love your Swedish phrasebook. "Toaletten spolar inte!" :vlol:

Dvnhgiferoih.

I have now named a new volcano! :D

lolitakethingstooliterally

Awesome. :tmb:

Also, I hate how nouns must be capitalized in German... :C

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 09:08
You never told me you knew Serbian! I can't believe how linguistically educated you are! Jealous! :hug:

I didn't? :o Well now you know it! :D Don't be jealous, I have no idea about French for example! :hug:

I still love your Swedish phrasebook. "Toaletten spolar inte!" :vlol:

Oh my toaletten! :cln: Don't get me started with your swearwords. :cln:

tomblover
26-05-10, 09:17
Oh my toaletten! :cln: Don't get me started with your swearwords. :cln: Oh you.

Helvetes toalett. :pi:

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 09:35
Oh you.

Helvetes toalett. :pi:

:cln: With skit? :p

Cochrane
26-05-10, 09:36
German (native)
English (well enough for my purposes)
French (horrible)
All others (not at all)

Admles
26-05-10, 09:42
Australian English

A little French

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 09:50
Australian English

A little French

OI MATE! Your mum. :pi:

[/fail] :p

Admles
26-05-10, 09:53
OI MATE! Your mum. :pi:

[/fail] :p
Strewth sheila, that was ace!

Alex Fly
26-05-10, 10:18
English and french. :)

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 10:53
Strewth sheila, that was ace!

Thank you roo! :hug:

BlackRainbow
26-05-10, 10:54
Swedish (native)
English (fluent)
Spanish (been learning for four years now, I still suck at it though because I have no interest in the language whatsoever)
Portugese (very similiar to Spanish so I understand most of it)
German (somewhere between basic learning and advanced :p)
Slovene (only a few words and sentences... :pi:)
Japanese (extremely limited)
Norwegian (wouldn't say I speak it fluently but... almost.)

Admles
26-05-10, 10:55
"Cheers mate" would be better ;)

CroftGameGirl
26-05-10, 11:19
English, Albanian (but I suck at it XD) and quite a bit of German :) (I'm a GCSE B Grade at it :jmp:)
I also remember very little Japanese from when I learnt it... :pi:

jamieoliver22
26-05-10, 11:22
Pretty much just English, but I do know the odd word in German to get by.

Chocola teapot
26-05-10, 11:23
English, Welsh, a little tiny bit of Spanish and German.

Johnnay
26-05-10, 11:25

hes not a

http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/eat_kangaroo_meat.jpg

;)

Marianna12
26-05-10, 11:29
Greek (native)
English (fluent)
Been learning French 3 years now, although I'm not good at it:p

And also learning basic words in:
Slovene
Czech
Swedish
Bulgarian
Russian

Heckler
26-05-10, 11:35
Allow me to scare you...

Mainstream I can speak English, Afrikaans, Dutch, German, a little French, some words in Italian...

In Native Languages I am fluent in Sotho, Zulu, Xhosa, Tshwana and I can understand some Venda and African French..(or Congo French as we call it).
Have been speaking our black languages since childhood...They are without a doubt more beautiful than most other languages..

I've had heavy Language training since the age of 7

Our family who consists of mostly German, French and Afrikaans people come from all over the world.

As of next year I'm learning Icelandic and Russian....Those are very hard to learn apparently....IMO the most challenging one is Japanese. Ive tried over and over and still can't seem to remember or pronounce a word of it properly. LOL

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 11:37
^:eek:

that's all I can say. Good for you though :tmb:

Rai
26-05-10, 11:43
I'm ashamed to say I can only speak my native language, English. I learned French and a little German at school, but most of the French is forgotten. I understand it a little, but can barely string a sentence together. I've never been very good with languages.

Nemo_91
26-05-10, 11:51
English & French. I'm quite good at both.

I really want to learn some more languages though.

CelticGuard
26-05-10, 11:53
Hindi
English
very very little Japanese

You said: Hindi is a difficult tongue but you can learn it. :p

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 11:55
"Cheers mate" would be better ;)

No! You're a roo! :mad:

hes not a

http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/eat_kangaroo_meat.jpg

;)

:rolleyes: I know what roo is, Johnnay. I said that on purpose.

You Aussies and your wink smilies. >.<

*laralover*
26-05-10, 12:02
English obviously :p and some minor Japanese. Just started studying properly although the language is always around me through movies and music ect :)

Vinkula
26-05-10, 12:17
English, in my opinion quite well, of course I make writing mistakes :)
Spanish, not quite well IMO, hard language and only 2 months course at school :/
Russian, my studying is still "work in progress", this year only. I use GOOGLE TRANSLATOR to turn them to Russian alphabet and little help from there.
Italian, heh, only "Buon Giorno" or whatever it's spelled :vlol: And some "How are you" etc.
Finnish, of course, my main language.

:wve:

tonyme
26-05-10, 12:56
I can speak English, French and Arabic

Kelly Craftman
26-05-10, 12:59
English: fluently
French: well
German: know a few words
Polish: know a few words

tomblover
26-05-10, 13:06
:cln: With skit? :p Ja. :p

Volvicy
26-05-10, 14:42
German (mother tongue), English, Italian, a bit Portugues and I'm going to learn Russian from this year on in school.^^

Larson_1988
26-05-10, 15:04
English, Swedish and obviously Norwegian! :p And some danish, :o

Ikas90
26-05-10, 15:09
English and Greek.

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 15:10
Ja. :p

Yum! :D

adventurerLara
26-05-10, 15:11
English, obviously, and a fair bit of Spanish I would like to expand on.

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 15:17
I can speak English, French and Arabic

la2, enta kazab. enta ma bt7ki 3arabi :p

-DaNnEe..
26-05-10, 15:18
I can speak English and I know a little bit of German from when I learnt it in School.

Lee croft
26-05-10, 15:18
Any language thats on Google Translate :pi:

tonyme
26-05-10, 15:19
la2, enta kazab. enta ma bt7ki 3arabi :p

wallah ba7ki 3arabi!!! WALLAH!!! PLEASE SADDE2NI!!!:ton:

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 15:31
wallah ba7ki 3arabi!!! WALLAH!!! PLEASE SADDE2NI!!!

ma momken sade2 wa7ad zayak !! :mad:

:p

Lemmie
26-05-10, 15:32
I thought that it was called Gaelic? unless thats what Americans refer to it as.

There's two kinds of Gaelic, Irish and Scottish, and they are pronounced differently.

Scottish Gaelic is said like GAL-LICK.

Irish Gaelic is said like GAY-LICK.

At least, that's how it was explained to me. Irish Gaelic is commonly just called Irish, Scottish Gaelic (in order to avoid confusion with Scots) is referred to as Gaelic.

:)

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 15:41
Irish Gaelic is said like GAY-LICK.

:vlol:

am sorry, am sorry, I just had to....someone had to...its :vlol:

Vinkula
26-05-10, 15:43
GAY-LICK :vlol: LMAO, Sorry :vlol:
---
I wanna start to study portuguese :D Is it hard xD?

Lemmie
26-05-10, 15:44
Lol, I know. :D I should maybe have found a different way of expressing that sound.

lacryjr
26-05-10, 15:44
English, Spanish and Portuguese.

I wanna start to study portuguese :D Is it hard xD?

It's somehow more complicated, but not that hard, I can teach you. :D

Reggie
26-05-10, 15:45
I'm a native English speaker + I know a fair amount of German and a basic amount of Japanese (which I will become more or less fluent in once I'm done with Uni).

Vinkula
26-05-10, 15:47
English, Spanish and Portuguese.

It's somehow more complicated, but not that hard, I can teach you. :D

Oh,okay, thanks :jmp: I am hard to teach, but I learn languages easily :p

Lizard of Oz
26-05-10, 15:50
English and Spanish, and some basic French and Italian.

Italian is very similar to spanish ;]

lacryjr
26-05-10, 15:51
Oh,okay, thanks :jmp: I am hard to teach, but I learn languages easily :p

Alright, I'll be waiting. :cln:

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 15:52
Spanish, French and Italian are very similar in some grammatical structure and concept of the language...

un garcon, une fille (French)
un muchacho, una muchacha (Spanish)

and the fact that nouns are neutered and the gender counts for what you have to add to the sentence.

HappyShannon
26-05-10, 16:03
English, French, German. :D

I know a little bit of Japanese and a tiny bit of Spanish :p

I also wanna learn Portugese <3

NemesisxAngelus
26-05-10, 16:46
Dutch, English and German.

WCookie
26-05-10, 17:19
I also wanna learn Portugese <3

I'll give you lessons, just call me, bébé. :ohn:

lacryjr
26-05-10, 17:21
I'll give you lessons, just call me, bébé. :ohn:

Do you tried to spell bebê ?

Sorry, I just had to ask. :P

WCookie
26-05-10, 17:22
Do you tried to spell bebê ?

Sorry, I just had to ask. :P

Here in Portugal we say Bébé :p

lara c. fan
26-05-10, 17:24
Oh, wait, I forgot the minor ones.

VERY, VERY, VERY limited Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. Japanese is borderline nothing, but I pick up some words from animes.

Actually, let's do a complete list, all in one place :p

English, German (Alright), French (Terrible), and the above.

lacryjr
26-05-10, 17:25
Here in Portugal we say Bébé :p

Oh yeah, double sorry, Brazil here. :)

Vinkula
26-05-10, 17:27
Oh there is differences! (Captain Obvious :p)
Maybe I wanna learn European portuguese :) That comes handy more often than Brazilian portuguese :/

ShadyCroft
26-05-10, 17:30
hmm, why am I feeling this is sort of like a competition for some...who speaks more languages ?
The thread says "how many languages you speak ?". Its more than just knowing a few words. :o

If knowing a few words is considered knowing the language then I know Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Phillipino, Romanian, German, Indian, Sri Lankan and Greek.

Mikky
26-05-10, 17:30
English! :ton: :tea:

Your_Envy*
26-05-10, 17:33
hmm, why am I feeling this is sort of like a competition for some...who speaks more languages ?
The thread says "how many languages you speak ?". Its more than just knowing a few words. :o

Well I wrote the ones I speak and the ones I understand at least a little bit. :D

But if answer the question again: I speak Slovene, Croatian/Serbian and English. :p

lacryjr
26-05-10, 17:33
Oh there is differences! (Captain Obvious :p)
Maybe I wanna learn European portuguese :) That comes handy more often than Brazilian portuguese :/

Yeah, but pratically, if you learn one, you can learn the second even more faster.

badboy70
26-05-10, 17:42
I can speak:
Dutch
French
English

I know a little
Spanish
German

:)

TRhalloween
26-05-10, 18:14
English and Glaswegian.

Croft_Original
26-05-10, 18:28
English, British Sign Language (not very well now I suspect as I've never actually had to use it) Did French at school, I can still understand some written French but I wouldn't want to have to speak it now. Anyway, when I did French they taught us useless things like how to buy a packet of cigarrettes and a box of matches, this was when we were about fourteen.:smk::D

Croft.

toxicraider
26-05-10, 18:34

You're right.
If I answer properly; I can speak french quite well, but I haven't spoken in a while. I can read latin as well, which helps me understand other Romance languages, but I'm hopeless at translating into latin, as we've never done it, or needed to.
German I used to be able to speak, but have forgotten, and Japanese I am working on. :p

Gregori
26-05-10, 22:10
I wish I knew Japanese :)

lara c. fan
26-05-10, 22:11
I wish I knew Japanese :)
Have a go at learning it. I'm having a try, even though I'll only be able to do basic stuff :p

Buffy87
26-05-10, 22:22

If knowing a few words is considered knowing the language then I know Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Phillipino, Romanian, German, Indian, Sri Lankan and Greek.

Okay well based upon that:

I can speak:
English
French
German
Old English ( technically I can although you would read it rather than speak it these days).
Latin ( technically although again I tend to read it rather than speak it).

I am learning/know to a less than conversational level:

Gaelic ( Irish Gaelic)
Spanish
Italian

I have an urge to learn Russian too now I think about it.

Vinkula
26-05-10, 22:23
^ Russian is quite easy, in my opinion. Studying in the school and my number is 9 =)

TRfan23
26-05-10, 23:02
English

Little of:

French
German
Latin
Arabic

I wish I could speak every language fluently.

ozzman
26-05-10, 23:44
i took three years of Japanese during high school, sadly i had no room for the fourth :(

Gregori
27-05-10, 15:43
:(

ryan91
27-05-10, 15:54
i wish i knew german. it sounds so nice to me :D

herothing
27-05-10, 16:09
English and currently learning German; we brits only begin to start a second language at the age of 12, not that i'm 12 :p
We arent very good at languages :p

almayah
27-05-10, 16:11
English, French, Italian, Bosnian(<3), some russian and German :D

Poker15
27-05-10, 18:12
Polish.
Swedish.
English.
French.
Some spanish.

Veronica Ma
27-05-10, 18:31
---

Endow
27-05-10, 18:44

Los Angeles
27-05-10, 18:50
Russian, German, English, French and a bit of spanish...

but yeah, I gotta learn portuguese because of my Latin Lover. :cln:

the ancient
27-05-10, 18:52
Dutch
English
French

Gregori
27-05-10, 19:47
English... and I can squeak by with French. :D

Bonjour!!

Veronica Ma
27-05-10, 20:08
---

Ivo
27-05-10, 20:10
Dutch
English
FrenchSame for me! I speak a little German too, though! ;)

Niveus
27-05-10, 20:12
English... obviously. :o
Also I'm learning Geman, Italian and Japanese at the moment.
I also invest my time in studying dead languages. I took Latin and Greek and passed. Right now I'm trying to learn hieroglyphs and hieratic from ancient Egypt... :D Next year, I'm taking up French. Don't speak a word but it should be fun!

Gregori
27-05-10, 21:30
:wve:

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Jo269976
28-05-10, 15:13
but yeah, I gotta learn portuguese because of my Latin Lover. :cln:

http://i45.************/2qv4eb5.gif

TombOfRaiders
28-05-10, 15:15
English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian and Japanese.

RockSteady101
28-05-10, 15:16
http://i45.************/2qv4eb5.gif

Win <3

cbragg09
28-05-10, 16:17
Im from the USA

and I barely speak Engligh lol

Jk, jk
English is all I have under my belt, despite two Spanish classes in High School

laralover_07
28-05-10, 16:20
I speak English et je parle un petit peu francais.

peeves
28-05-10, 16:44
I can speak English, some spanish, some german, some portuguese, and some french.

CelticGuard
28-05-10, 16:47
1 f0rg07 1 can al5o 5p3ak l337 1f 7ha7 c0unts as a languag3.

Simochka
28-05-10, 16:53
Swedish, Enlgish and a little tiny bit french.
I'm gonna study french again cause I really want to learn it :D

ClassicCroft
28-05-10, 18:03
I Speake: Netherlands[Verry Good] , German[Verry good] , English[not good/not bad] , French [A Little bit]

Los Angeles
28-05-10, 18:05
I speak English et je parle un petit peu francais.

C'est magnifique! Tu veux parler francais avec moi? :p