PDA

View Full Version : Sahara cave may hold clues to dawn of Egypt

florinandrei
26-05-10, 20:58
http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFJOE64N09L20100524?sp=true

Archaeologists are studying prehistoric rock drawings discovered in a remote cave in 2002, including dancing figures and strange headless beasts, as they seek new clues about the rise of Egyptian civilisation.

Amateur explorers stumbled across the cave, which includes 5,000 images painted or engraved into stone, in the vast, empty desert near Egypt's southwest border with Libya and Sudan.

Rudolph Kuper, a German archaeologist, said the detail depicted in the "Cave of the Beasts" indicate the site is at least 8,000 years old, likely the work of hunter-gatherers whose descendants may have been among the early settlers of the then-swampy and inhospitable Nile Valley.

Chocola teapot
26-05-10, 21:04
That's fantastic! :D

IceColdLaraCroft
26-05-10, 21:07
How long ago was the Sahara supposed to have had hippos/elephants and all that from the swim paintings?

Love2Raid
26-05-10, 21:24
Eight thousand years old, wow! Awesome find. :D

It's interesting how that place once was a savannah. Makes you wonder what treasures are still left undiscovered beneath all those mountains of sand. :D

peeves
26-05-10, 21:28
Talk about Nile Valley the paintings sure would be great historic ideas. So you might be expecting surprises beneath the sand. ;)

Rai
26-05-10, 21:31
That's an amazing find :D.

It's funny though, as interesting as I find it, but sometimes I wish there were some things that could stay a mystery. :o

Love2Raid
26-05-10, 21:44
Talk about Nile Valley the paintings sure would be great historic ideas. So you might be expecting surprises beneath the sand. ;)
I know right, let's go over there and start digging! :D

florinandrei
26-05-10, 21:51
How long ago was the Sahara supposed to have had hippos/elephants and all that from the swim paintings?

Sahara was green(ish) between 11,000 BC and 3,400 BC, a desert before and after that period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara#Climate_history

igonge
26-05-10, 22:08
Had to look twice before I realised the title of this thread was not "Shakira may hold clues to dawn of Egypt" I was like "WHASSAT!?"

Sounds cool.

Capt. Murphy
26-05-10, 23:02
Instersting news. :pi: But I was hoping for more pics. :confused:

Encore
26-05-10, 23:12
That's an amazing find :D.

It's funny though, as interesting as I find it, but sometimes I wish there were some things that could stay a mystery. :o

I never realized there was a mystery about the rise of the egyptian civilization. :confused: I thought it was a natural progression of human culture spawned from the fertility of the region.

Capt. Murphy
26-05-10, 23:22
I think they mean a 'mystery' in that it is assumed they came to be. Like... Take a house. You know it had to have been built. There's no mystery there. But how was it built? Who built it, how many... stuff like that. :ton:

The details -I guess. :o

Tombraiderx08
26-05-10, 23:24
Wow! Pretty cool stuff!

ryan91
26-05-10, 23:35
8000 years, heck dude thats even before jesus and stuff :D