PDA

View Full Version : American vs. European clothing habits

Quasimodo
27-05-10, 10:51
Iím wondering - can North Americans in Europe, or Europeans in North America, be distinguished by clothing habits? Is there really something like a typical European / American style? What kind of clothes or styles do you consider typical European / American? How would you spot someone from the other side of the Atlantic in your town?

Lara's home
27-05-10, 11:15
I don't think so.

tonyme
27-05-10, 11:24
It's not really that different...

Reggie
27-05-10, 11:25
I would say there are only nuances now setting aside the traditional national dresses of some European countries (Kilts, Lederhosen, Berets etc). We've become a more globalised society where certain brands are bought into across all countries - developed and developing to the point we're not so much looking at cultural differences but cultural nuances these days - especially when it comes to appearance. Everything is becoming more uniform both in America and Europe and in Asia and Africa too...

http://www.hitopimages.com/hitoptravel/7/imgMed/EVE_2007-04-16_6O.jpg

^ A tibetan yak herder.

sandygrimm
27-05-10, 11:35
Clothing wise not that much since most wear imported European clothes.

Tho I'm not sure but there is a difference between the older generation in countries such as Germany, France...Western and north clothing than US or East Europe. They wear more casual "young" clothes with sneakers and backpacks.

Habits, maybe a bit more uptight in the West, While east.. no comment:p

robbie_rawr
27-05-10, 11:40
Only If there wearing a base ball shirt they are american.
Thats my logic.
:jmp::jmp::D

tombraiderluka
27-05-10, 11:41
Oh the VS thread again :eek:

MiCkiZ88
27-05-10, 11:47
Errr... I really do not see any difference in clothing between america and any european country. Maybe in the most religious parts revealing clothes are seen bad.

Perhaps you could spot me for not wearing loose fit clothes though. I prefer tight fit.

LightningRider
27-05-10, 11:52
Exactly as Reggie said. Globalized, there isn't much difference. Only the tiny stuff.

Legends
27-05-10, 11:54
I don't really think there are any big differences. I have never noticed it.

silviu_raider
27-05-10, 11:59
I'm European and I've met many American persons and I don't see any difference in clothing style.

touchthesky
27-05-10, 12:00
http://bizeasy.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/primark1.jpg

Theres the difference.

MiCkiZ88
27-05-10, 12:03
Some people have no sense of style though.. meaning, the people who just buy the very first cheap jacket and light blue jeans they can find. But I suppose you have that in North America as well.

The difference is that I pay 80 euros for my regular fit jeans with effects whilst you get it for 20 or 40 bucks.

Another Lara
27-05-10, 12:12
Never really seen a difference...

All tourists look exactly the same in London as they wear those awful rain macs!!! At least it means all tourists are easy to spot so they can be avoided/abused when I'm on my way into work! :tea:

Vinkula
27-05-10, 12:28
In Europe... Well in Finland the clothing is nice IMO. Fashioned. Of course, there is groups like gothic, hiphop, EMO, etc... I can't describe it right now. Difficult xD

xXhayleyroxXx
27-05-10, 19:56
Theres not a big difference. But when I watch american movies I always notice they wear different clothes to what we would over here, and i like it :cln:

Los Angeles
27-05-10, 20:08
Oh, of course there are differences..

Americans often wear just baggy gym pants to school and europeans tend to dress fancier XD

But I love american habbits more :hug:

Keir_Eidos
27-05-10, 20:15
I've been wondering about this due to the fact I'm over here and so I have been studying people's fashions.

The answer is pretty much no. Not in SF/London at least.

Europe copies America and America copies Europe.

gidierre
27-05-10, 20:58
Iím wondering - can North Americans in Europe, or Europeans in North America, be distinguished by clothing habits?
I hate to sound a bit conceited but my answer to that ought to be a big YES
from my viewpoint (Italy)

only, I couldn't tell you how, or I couldn't in a snappy simple sentence I'm afraid
probably since what you/I see is clothes plus people in it.

AmericanAssassin
27-05-10, 21:01
Americans often wear just baggy gym pants to school.

In the '90s maybe. LMAO! Most people wear very fitted jeans where I live. Pretty much the same as I see Europeans wearing.

Love2Raid
27-05-10, 21:04
I am sure there is no difference, but of course the common prejudice about Americans is that they prefer baggy and comfy and practical stuff over fashionable clothes.

AmericanAssassin
27-05-10, 21:06
I am sure there is no difference, but of course the common prejudice about Americans is that they prefer baggy and comfy and practical stuff over fashionable clothes.

I would rather die than be seen in baggy clothes. :eek:

PandaINC
27-05-10, 21:29
I would rather die than be seen in baggy clothes. :eek:

Same here! I would NEVER leave my house in sweatpants, unless of course I was going for a run or something.
So many people in my town dress like slobs all the time. They show up at school and the mall in pjs, sweatpants, it's gross. :p

Legend 4ever
27-05-10, 21:49
In the '90s maybe. LMAO! Most people wear very fitted jeans where I live. Pretty much the same as I see Europeans wearing.

Weird. Almost everyone in my school is really, really casual, almost homely. People wear flip flops, sweatpants, etc. There are, of course people with a more urban styling like skinny jeans and colorful t-shirts, but the majority is rather casual.

Trigger_happy
27-05-10, 22:03
What I can never understand is when people in Tv shows are shown in like jeans, t-shirt and a Shirt in places like Miami. Aren't they like boiling slowly to death. Does anyone in America actually dress like that when its warm?

Catracoth
27-05-10, 22:10
Loads of Americans wear their pants well below their arses. There's a huge distinction.