PDA

View Full Version : Terrible misprint in book

Sgt BOMBULOUS
27-05-10, 15:11
Cook-book misprint costs Australian publishers dear

A plate of pasta - Penguin said it was "mortified" over the "silly" mistake in its pasta cook-book

An Australian publisher has had to pulp and reprint a cookbook after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper.

Penguin Group Australia had to reprint 7,000 copies of Pasta Bible last week, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported.

The reprint cost A$20,000 ($18,000; 12,000), but stock in bookshops will not be recalled as it is "extremely hard" to do so, Penguin said.

The recipe was for tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.

"We're mortified that this has become an issue of any kind, and why anyone would be offended, we don't know," head of publishing Bob Sessions is quoted as saying by the Sydney newspaper.

Penguin said almost every one of the more than 150 recipes in the book listed salt and freshly ground black pepper, but a misprint occurred on just one page.

"When it comes to the proof-reader, of course they should have picked it up, but proof-reading a cookbook is an extremely difficult task. I find that quite forgivable," Mr Sessions said.

If anyone complains about the "silly mistake", they will be given the new version, Penguin said.

Reference (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8627335.stm)

IceColdLaraCroft
27-05-10, 15:11
:vlol:

LightningRider
27-05-10, 15:14
Oh my God. Imagine if someone actually did that.

tonyme
27-05-10, 15:15
Oh God that's unfortunate.:p

Alpharaider47
27-05-10, 15:16
There's nothing quite like Southern Cuisine...
:vlol: that's terrible, good thing they caught it!

Kelly Craftman
27-05-10, 15:17
:vlol: Yum, my favourite meal ever. :p

Legend of Lara
27-05-10, 15:17
Oh, wow. :vlol:
That's just... yeah. :p

TombRaiderCool
27-05-10, 15:18
Reminds me of the time I was in Greece and saw Aborigine salad on the menu, instead of aubergine salad. :D

Capt. Murphy
27-05-10, 16:11
Aw. "Ground" could be like a provocative dance. You know, like bumping and grinding. :pi:

Minty Mouth
27-05-10, 16:13
I wondered why it didn't taste right.

Lara's home
27-05-10, 16:14
Well, at least I can blame to cookbook..

AmericanAssassin
27-05-10, 16:16

That's great. I would kill for a copy of that. So funny. How the hell could that have even happened? :p

herothing
27-05-10, 16:17
The guy who wrote this book is my new best friend :vlol:

Capt. Murphy
27-05-10, 16:23
What, is it a book about how to cook with a burning cross? :pi:

tomblover
27-05-10, 16:25
XDXDXDXDXD

^ /reaction

Lavinder
27-05-10, 16:32
Well don't some people prefer the dark meat :ton:?

almayah
27-05-10, 16:36

Today's menu
Black guy soup
Black guy turkey
and Black guy ice cream :vlol:

remote91
27-05-10, 16:40
http://i29.************/34ss8ow.jpg

IceColdLaraCroft
27-05-10, 16:42
Reference (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8627335.stm)

It's even funnier considering your avatar :vlol:

TRfan23
27-05-10, 16:45
:vlol: A hilarious mistake.

ShadyCroft
27-05-10, 17:12
:vlol: that's hilarious !

Jo269976
27-05-10, 17:16
LMFAO! :vlol:

Somewhere out there, a cannibal is trying a new recipe.

Chocola teapot
27-05-10, 17:30
Oh my goodness! :vlol:

Phantasmagoria
27-05-10, 17:37
That's a whorible mistake! I wish someone would have cot that before it was published.

Kelly Craftman
27-05-10, 17:38
LMFAO! :vlol:

Somewhere out there, a cannibal is trying a new recipe.

Croft_Original
27-05-10, 17:58
I wonder how many of these books I can get my hands on? They'd fetch a bit on e-Bay; or maybe if I keep them long enough The Antiques Roadshow?:mis::vlol:

Croft.

Thrall
27-05-10, 18:00
I love how the head of publishing sounded so confused at people being offended.

Hannibal Lecter's plan to get a recipe published was clearly a triumph.

igonge
27-05-10, 18:04
That's bloody hilarious :vlol:

larson n natla
27-05-10, 18:27
That has made me giggle :ton:

xXhayleyroxXx
27-05-10, 19:42
im ashamed to say it but i giggled :vlol: books usually have a lot of mis-prints but something on these lines needs to be ammended :p

gidierre
27-05-10, 19:46
reprint a cookbook after one recipe listed "salt and freshly ground black people" instead of black pepper.

The recipe was for tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto.

that constitutes only a petty misdemeanor indeed vs. the crime of spreading the horrible humbug of a recipe about tagliatelle (or whatever pastasciutta subspecies) with... sardine & prosciutto (eew!:yik:)

just nobody here would ever have none of it afaict
whoever cooks that ought to be cooked him/herself on the spot imo.

And I won't even bother to mention here that Italian law strictly forbids grinding of people in any way, unless undergoing general anesthesia and provided that informed consent has been given.

Since 1963 out of sheer benevolency that legislation has been liberally extended to non-white people too.
And women.

Obviously if Aussies allow anthropophagy, we can't help it.
Let them poor grindable people come to Italy!

just*raidin*tomb
27-05-10, 19:48
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :vlol: - _-

Phlip
27-05-10, 19:55
Why is proof-reading a cookbook is an extremely difficult task?

But yeah, LMFAO!! :vlol:

touchthesky
27-05-10, 20:54
Lmfao that is amazing -_-.

Ward Dragon
27-05-10, 21:00
Why is proof-reading a cookbook is an extremely difficult task?

Probably because the recipes are repetitive (so it might be easy to go into auto-pilot mode and not notice a typo which isn't hilighted as a misspelling). Not to mention it would be very difficult if the proof-reader is expected to catch mistakes in the recipes because how would they know every single recipe in the book by heart? :p But I think it's mostly the repetition. The guy said nearly every recipe in the book called for ground black pepper, so the proof-reader probably got so used to seeing that phrase that they didn't notice the one time it was horribly misspelled. My guess is someone made a typo on "pepper" (maybe wrote "peppel" instead) and an automatic spell-checker "corrected" it incorrectly XD

da tomb raider!
27-05-10, 21:50
I found that incredibly amusing, I'm afraid. :vlol:

Rai
27-05-10, 23:26
Oooh dear :vlol:

Mind you, that would take quite a bit of money to reprint those books :(

spikejones
28-05-10, 21:23
this somewhat reminds me of a real recipe actually. One day I was doing a web search for strange recipes and stumbled across one for mellified man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellified_man).

KyleCroft
28-05-10, 21:25
Haha not the best mistake to make in the world...

That's like when I went to the Heritage Festival in my city and one of the items in one stand was 'Caucasian Kabobs'

:S

spikejones
28-05-10, 21:26
My guess is someone made a typo on "pepper" (maybe wrote "peppel" instead) and an automatic spell-checker "corrected" it incorrectly XD

that's a less likely mistype than to have written peopre (note the proximity of mistyped letters). If you have spell check on your browser you can quote my post and right click it to see that "people" is suggested.

Ward Dragon
29-05-10, 05:38
that's a less likely mistype than to have written peopre (note the proximity of mistyped letters). If you have spell check on your browser you can quote my post and right click it to see that "people" is suggested.

Ah, good point :) I didn't put that much thought into which misspelling was most likely (and sometimes I make really weird typos because my brain totally shorts out and gives the instructions to the wrong finger :vlol:)

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-05-10, 05:54
Oh my gosh. :eek: I know it's terrible, but I laughed so hard. :vlol:

tombraiderfrea
29-05-10, 06:06
Racist people... :pi:
Stealing a White Man's Dinner... :mad:

Just kidding! :D

But this made me lol! :vlol: :vlol:

spikejones
29-05-10, 06:16
Ah, good point :) I didn't put that much thought into which misspelling was most likely (and sometimes I make really weird typos because my brain totally shorts out and gives the instructions to the wrong finger :vlol:)

i kind of looked at it as though the person who typed the original draft probably had plenty of experience in typing. But sometimes you make mistakes after a long time of typing, when your fingers get tired. But a typo like yours is like a musician playing on the 4th string when he's supposed to be playing on the 1st string :p

Ward Dragon
29-05-10, 06:29
i kind of looked at it as though the person who typed the original draft probably had plenty of experience in typing. But sometimes you make mistakes after a long time of typing, when your fingers get tired. But a typo like yours is like a musician playing on the 4th string when he's supposed to be playing on the 1st string :p

I've been typing for over ten years, and I can type pretty fast too with very high accuracy. However when I mess up, I really mess up :p

spikejones
29-05-10, 06:31
me too, but i don't write peppel. I might write [e[[er or prpprt if my fingers are in the wrong spot. or maybe even [r[[rt :p

Ward Dragon
29-05-10, 06:45
me too, but i don't write peppel. I might write [e[[er or prpprt if my fingers are in the wrong spot. or maybe even [r[[rt :p

When I make typos, I usually don't miss and hit nearby keys. Rather my brain gets totally confused and the wrong finger responds to my command. Like right now when I was typing "responds" the d came out as an s not because I missed the key but rather because the wrong finger moved. I don't know how it happened and I catch it immediately but I make really weird typos like that. I also just typed "it" as "id" because the wrong finger moved.

Minty Mouth
29-05-10, 06:48
Hey, that happens!