PDA

View Full Version : Do you write in print or cursive?

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 04:18
Poll requested by Melonie Tomb Raider :) When you write things out by hand, do you normally print (like this font) or use cursive (script)?

Phlip
28-05-10, 04:19
I usually write by hand, but not cursive (joined up?)

spikejones
28-05-10, 04:20
^thats called Print

the way I write tends to be a hybrid of cursive and print

tombraiderfrea
28-05-10, 04:20
Mostly Cursive. :D

Andyroo
28-05-10, 04:23
Print.

Phlip
^thats called Print

Oh ok, thanks. :o I write in print, then. :)

robm_2007
^thats called Print

So do I, so i cant really vote in this poll:o

AmericanAssassin
Print. ;) Learning cursive was the most pointless thing I've ever done. :p

Dark Lugia 2
28-05-10, 04:24
print, but i join letters that end in a 'kick' (like t's to other letters).

EmeraldFields
28-05-10, 04:25
Print, but I often join letter together.

miss.haggard
28-05-10, 04:26
Both, honestly.

aktrekker
28-05-10, 04:27
Depends on the situation.
Since there isn't a Both, I didn't vote.

Glaçon
28-05-10, 04:31
Cursive. What can I say, I love my loops.

freeze10108
28-05-10, 04:32
Cursive all the way! Printing feels kind of awkward to me now, and it's really, really slow! ;)

But neither form of my handwriting is legible, so I guess it doesn't really matter anyway! :o

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-05-10, 04:40
Horrid looking print.

just*raidin*tomb
28-05-10, 04:47
I write in a mixture of both, but everyone says they "can't read my cursive" writing so CURSIVE it is. :)

Alpharaider47
28-05-10, 04:53
Almost always print, although I do some letters like "p"s in cursive.

spikejones
28-05-10, 05:01
wait!! I just noticed there isn't a "chicken scratch" option for Doctors! :ton:

TRL2009
28-05-10, 05:03
^All 3 Cursive, Print Chicken Scratch And Some times a mix of all 3 :D

Aranara
28-05-10, 05:05
Something in between, but lately I've been leaning to print :D

Glaçon
28-05-10, 05:09
Almost always print, although I do some letters like "p"s in cursive.

I secretly relish writing words with double; "ll" and "f" :D

Alpharaider47
28-05-10, 05:11
I secretly relish writing words with double; "ll" and "f" :D

Sometimes I do "r"s in cursive too lol, and when there's an "i" after it I often end up combining em.

lunavixen
28-05-10, 05:17
mostly print, on some occasions (like when my lecturer won't stop) cursive, and when he's a total motor mouth, it goes to chicken scratch

rowanlim
28-05-10, 05:54
I write in print but sometimes the cursive would slide in :p

Minty Mouth
28-05-10, 06:05
Print, but I usually do the word 'the' joined up for some reason :confused: :p

Cochrane
28-05-10, 06:08
Print, nobody can read my cursive. Not even me.

lcaddict
28-05-10, 06:10
Kinda printy..

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 06:12
I always write in print. I totally shorted out when I took my teaching certification exams and as part of the ID proof they made me copy over a paragraph of text into handwritten script. I couldn't remember how to write half the letters in script so I kind of fudged it and hoped it would be good enough :p (I got my scores back so I guess they didn't care that my script sucked)

In general I find script very hard to read, which is why I never write in script and consequently why I've forgotten how to write most of the letters (especially the capitals). If the letter isn't in my name, I probably don't know how to write it in script :vlol:

Apparently the forum has a secret script font that I got by just typing font=script even though it doesn't show up in the font dropbox. Anyhow, if this shows up on other people's PC's and not just mine, it should illustrate how much easier it is to read plain printed text as opposed to script. I'll even be nice to the script and make it a bit bigger, but it still is very hard to read. Also, I could have sworn that the script A was just a bigger version of a but this font disagrees :confused:

aktrekker
28-05-10, 06:46
That would be easier to read if it would cross the T's.

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 06:52
That would be easier to read if it would cross the T's.

It does cross the t's but it's hard to see because it's small. I tried making it even bigger but then it stopped showing up for some reason :confused:

Edit: I copied the text into Word and used Word's script font. It has the correct capital A's so disregard the last sentence :p

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/script.jpg

AmericanAssassin
28-05-10, 06:54
I have to agree. Script is much much much harder to read. It's existence is so pointless. :/

spikejones
28-05-10, 06:55
let me try

I am so totally going to utilize this with the method mark mentioned for saving your font setup!!

Glaçon
28-05-10, 07:02
I always write in print. I totally shorted out when I took my teaching certification exams and as part of the ID proof they made me copy over a paragraph of text into handwritten script. I couldn't remember how to write half the letters in script so I kind of fudged it and hoped it would be good enough :p (I got my scores back so I guess they didn't care that my script sucked)

In general I find script very hard to read, which is why I never write in script and consequently why I've forgotten how to write most of the letters (especially the capitals). If the letter isn't in my name, I probably don't know how to write it in script :vlol:

Apparently the forum has a secret script font that I got by just typing font=script even though it doesn't show up in the font dropbox. Anyhow, if this shows up on other people's PC's and not just mine, it should illustrate how much easier it is to read plain printed text as opposed to script. I'll even be nice to the script and make it a bit bigger, but it still is very hard to read. Also, I could have sworn that the script A was just a bigger version of a but this font disagrees :confused:

Too me it looks just like times new roman? Is it supposed to be cursive?

EDIT: That is SO wierd. In your original post; it looks just like times new roman. In the quote box of this post, its cursive. MIND****.

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 07:03

It's supposed to be script but it's not showing up right so I put it into Word instead:

Edit: I copied the text into Word and used Word's script font. It has the correct capital A's so disregard the last sentence :p

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/script.jpg

spikejones
28-05-10, 07:06

EDIT: That is SO wierd. In your original post; it looks just like times new roman. In the quote box of this post, its cursive. MIND****.

did my post above come out in script?

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 07:07

I can't see what your post says unless I zoom out so far that all the normal text looks like ants :p The script font is apparently very buggy so that's probably why it's not in the normal text dropbox. Oh well...

Glaçon
28-05-10, 07:10

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3408/woahp.jpg

aktrekker
28-05-10, 07:11
I have to agree. Script is much much much harder to read. It's existence is so pointless. :/
That's because they don't teach it anymore, or penmanship in general. It's much faster than printing, and if done well is quite beautiful.

It did for me.

spikejones
28-05-10, 07:15
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3408/woahp.jpg
weird. what browser are you using, and what is your operating system? have you done any alterations to the font settings for your browser? what if you clear your cache?
It did for me.

me too

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 07:16
That's because they don't teach it anymore, or penmanship in general. It's much faster than printing, and if done well is quite beautiful.

I had to learn it in grade school, but I stopped using it as soon as they stopped forcing me to use it. I never liked it and it always seemed much harder to read for me. I hate how the letters blur together. I like distinct letters much better because it's a lot easier for me to read.

Alpharaider47
28-05-10, 07:22
I had to learn it in grade school, but I stopped using it as soon as they stopped forcing me to use it. I never liked it and it always seemed much harder to read for me. I hate how the letters blur together. I like distinct letters much better because it's a lot easier for me to read.

A lot of it probably has to do with culture and technology too. We don't (to my knowledge) have keyboards with script, and we seem to want things faster and easier. Plus it's arguably what we're most exposed to these days. Print offers speed and ease =/

Draco
28-05-10, 07:25
Cursive is just plain annoying. I don't have time to write it or read it.

spikejones
28-05-10, 07:26
Print offers speed and ease =/

arguably print is easier and faster to read, but cursive is actually faster to write since you dont need to lift your pencil from the paper hardly. theoretically speaking you could write script somewhat decently without looking at the paper. doing so with print would be a bit more difficult

Glaçon
28-05-10, 07:29
weird. what browser are you using, and what is your operating system? have you done any alterations to the font settings for your browser? what if you clear your cache?

I use google chrome, I have Windows Vista, and I've never touched any font settings. :)

Ward Dragon
28-05-10, 07:33
A lot of it probably has to do with culture and technology too. We don't (to my knowledge) have keyboards with script, and we seem to want things faster and easier. Plus it's arguably what we're most exposed to these days. Print offers speed and ease =/

Maybe, but I hated script even before my family got a computer so it's not like I was used to the keyboard or typing at the time :p More like I was used to printed books, which try to be as accessible as possible and therefore have plain easy-to-read fonts. I have never seen a lengthy book set in a script-style font, nor do I ever want to see such a thing. Script is okay for a short title where aesthetics matter, but for a lengthy chunk of text I don't care how it looks, I care whether or not I can read it. Script seriously cripples my reading comprehension because it slows me down enough that by the time I get to the end of the sentence I've already forgotten the beginning. Yes, my vision sucks, and yes my memory is not normal, so I don't expect everyone to have this problem with script, but I will always prefer plain text for its clarity.

Alpharaider47
28-05-10, 07:33
arguably print is easier and faster to read, but cursive is actually faster to write since you dont need to lift your pencil from the paper hardly. theoretically speaking you could write script somewhat decently without looking at the paper. doing so with print would be a bit more difficult

Hmm I had to quote you to see what you typed there =/ Yeah I see what you're saying, but that's for someone who writes in script, i don't think there's enough interest, and until someone gets decent at it, it'd probably take longer. That's my thinking anyways.

Glaçon
28-05-10, 07:40
I was first taught print, then we moved onto cursive in 3rd Grade. I just prefer cursive, it looks nicer. Print is simpler, and messily written print is much more readable then messily written cursive - but cursive is much more classy :D

jamieoliver22
28-05-10, 07:53
I tend to do a bit of both actually, I write neater when I write in print though.

It did for me.

It will only work if you have the appropriate font installed on your computer.

corey01
28-05-10, 08:24
print, but some letters i join together hehe

AmericanAssassin
28-05-10, 08:26

They teach it where I live and my penmanship is considered flawless by most. :/

Changeling
28-05-10, 09:02
I always write in print. I hated learning cursive in school, even if I was good at it. :p From Primary 5-7 we were expected to always write in cursive. As soon as I got to my 2nd Year in High School I went back to good ol' print. I agree: the existence of writing in cursive is extremely pointless.

Trigger_happy
28-05-10, 09:07
I voted cursive. I don't join every single letter to each other, but most of them are joined. I think that printed handwriting can look a bit childish sometimes. I wish I could write like the proper old posh cursive, but I can't, so I'm stuck with my silly mostly joined up writing.

Lost_Soul
28-05-10, 09:38
Cursive
Wait...so you don't have to use that in school? Seriously? It's easier to write like that...not to mention faster. I'm confused

ajrich17901
28-05-10, 09:41
Print, its a lot more neat looking than cursive.

CiaKonwerski
28-05-10, 10:21
I pretty much only write in print except when I have to sign something. School taught us how to do cursive and even required it in 3rd grade on all our papers. Now, we hardly even use it.:rolleyes:

Chocola teapot
28-05-10, 10:34
Print, But sometinmes joined.

Glaçon
28-05-10, 10:42
Print, its a lot more neat looking than cursive.

More neat, really? Some cursive is absolutely beautiful. Print will never be beautiful. :/

Dina_Croft
28-05-10, 10:51
Print

But I join some letters.

xcrushterx
28-05-10, 11:25
A bit of both. Mostly print, but certain letter combinations I join up.

Lemmie
28-05-10, 11:41
I write in cursive most of the time, but no one (often myself) can understand it. Therefore if I'm writing something that someone else needs to read (eg. a shopping list, a memo, something like that) I use block capitals.

igonge
28-05-10, 11:51
A mixture. I can't vote.

TRfan23
28-05-10, 12:01
Cursive, I can't write in print or it makes my writing look worse then writing in cursive. Eitherway my writing's awful.

Legend of Lara
28-05-10, 12:03
Sometimes I write in cursive, but most of the time it's print.

So, print.

]{eith
28-05-10, 12:18
Both.

Ikas90
28-05-10, 12:23
Mixture of both. It varies from word to word. But mostly, I use print.

Punaxe
28-05-10, 12:37
Print. I was originally taught to write in this exact type of cursive:

http://i45.************/f03zlt.jpg

... but that was such a mess that at some point my teacher recommended I try writing in block letters instead. I wrote way too fast and sloppily though, so that too quickly became unreadable. So, once again, I needed a new handwriting, which is still my current one, and which I once tried to digitize for a previous thread:

http://files.noctifer.net/handwriting.jpg

It looks kinda stupid without the correct spacing though, and in real life it's usually a bit more expressive, with longer strokes and stuff. If I had a scanner, I'd have handwritten this post. :p

MiCkiZ88
28-05-10, 12:40
A mixture of print and cursive. Y and J have always different kinds of loops :o

Glaçon
28-05-10, 12:41
It's pretty, Punaxe :tmb:

jaywalker
28-05-10, 12:41
theres no option for `badly`.. i cant write, genuinely.. i get serious pains in the wrist and cannot write for long without it hurting.. so what starts out as print ends up as scrawl..

Melonie Tomb Raider
28-05-10, 12:45
Print. Wow, the results are insane. :eek:

Thrall
28-05-10, 12:47
For the most part it's print but occasionally some of the letters will end up joining in the middle.

da tomb raider!
28-05-10, 12:58
Print. I'm surprised at the results - I would've thought most people would write in cursive.

Capt. Murphy
28-05-10, 13:01
Sometimes I think; "I'm gunna practice cursive." That never seems to come to pass. :pi:

tonyme
28-05-10, 13:13
I mix 'em up honestly, some letters I write in print and others in cursive.;)

toxicraider
28-05-10, 13:18
Sometimes I write in print, sometimes in cursive, depending on the letters, sometimes I end up skipping letters. My handwriting ends up looking like a mess as a result. :p
Usually cursive though.

TombRaiderCool
28-05-10, 13:18
Cursive. More of a bad habit really, though. I'm so used to writing like that though I can't get into the flow of using print.

Veronica Ma
28-05-10, 13:32
---

peeves
28-05-10, 13:38
I write in print because i find it easier. I don't like to write in cursive.

ZapTheLadyBird
28-05-10, 13:47
I do both :whi:

Buffy87
28-05-10, 14:00
For the most part my handwriting is printed. I have amazingly girly writing actually - probably not surprising given that I am a girl. :D It's very much the stereotypical "girly writing", all big loopy E's and A's and I can usually only fit 5-7 words or so on a line.

The only time I write in cursive is if I am making quick notes in something and need to write it speedily, otherwise I print.

Survival
28-05-10, 14:06
Combination of both.

SparkleCroft07
28-05-10, 14:08
Both, but I write neater in print.

tomblover
28-05-10, 14:09
I write in print, although I do join up some letters.

CuteKittenlol
28-05-10, 14:17
Can't vote, i print some letters and join others up, mostly print i'd say though

ggctuk
28-05-10, 14:18
I used to use cursive until I was in secondary school, then I started using print. But that doesn't really matter these days as I tend to do all my writing as typing :p

Mad Tony
28-05-10, 18:55
Hybrid. However, for the sake of the poll I put print since I lean more that way.

HappyShannon
28-05-10, 21:14
Print normally :D

Legend 4ever
28-05-10, 21:40
Wow, I can't believe so many people write in print. I could never write fast and nice if I had to print every letter. Cursive looks more personal, prettier and more educated.

NemesisxAngelus
28-05-10, 21:51
Mix of both. Depends if I've got to write quick, what my mood's like, really. Anything can influence it and then I really do mean anything. :D

larafan25
28-05-10, 21:56
I don't know, theres sooo many choices I'm confused.....:/

Well actually, I write in print.:)

Yuna´s Wish
28-05-10, 22:07
Cursive. It's faster.

Brikas94
28-05-10, 22:33
Cursive here! :)

MangelinaJolie
28-05-10, 22:35
Print. I write slower using cursive, actually.

Encore
28-05-10, 22:36
What a fascinating subject!

http://i29.************/23kb0it.jpg

Hairhelmet12
28-05-10, 22:38
Print

GameGlitcher77
28-05-10, 23:45
Sloppy-looking print. The only thing I remember how to write in cursive is my name. :o ;)

ThatNorskChick
28-05-10, 23:48
Print, if that's what you can call it. :cool:

God Horus
28-05-10, 23:50
I can write in really fast neat print. This is what I use mostly, but if I need to go really, really fast or write something short I write in cursive or just one letter slurring onto the next.

amaris
28-05-10, 23:51
print

MattTR
29-05-10, 01:33
Print. I was FORCED to write in cursive in middle school and hated it, and in high school up until now in college, my print world open up to me and now I only write print. ;)

But I sign my name in cursive. :p

voltz
29-05-10, 01:52
I do like cursive, but I'm beginning to think I need to practice my writing style cause I can't even do the "y" in my name correctly anymore out of habit. Also beginning to forget what the capital "Q" looks like.

However for forums and stuff that I have to use print for... I used to take drafting in high school so most of my writing tends to look like it was more in that format rather then going with any individual style which I think is rather weird.

DgoOdz94
29-05-10, 02:21
Print.

I know how to write cursive of course but it's seems like too much of a hassle to me. XD :ton:

patriots88888
29-05-10, 02:23
Be advised that this is a public poll... LOL. Like it's a crime or an embarassment to write one way or another. :p

Cursive is how I was taught in school so it stuck with me. Plus it looks more sophisticated and professional, giving it your own personal style and unique character.

sandygrimm
29-05-10, 05:56
I used to write cursive in school till the 8th grade, but than I found print or a combination of both to be much faste to keep up with the professors speed of talking:p

tombraiderfrea
29-05-10, 06:07
Be advised that this is a public poll... LOL. Like it's a crime or an embarassment to write one way or another. :p

Cursive is how I was taught in school so it stuck with me. Plus it looks more sophisticated and professional, giving it your own personal style and unique character.

Here, Here! :D

Drone
29-05-10, 08:29
I don't write

xXhayleyroxXx
29-05-10, 09:22
Entirely print :)

Ward Dragon
29-05-10, 09:29

It says that for every public poll :p

If it's a title or something then yeah it looks fancy, but for lengthy text it's much more difficult to read. When I was student teaching, only one of my students wrote in script and I really had a hard time reading her long-response answers. It's a royal pain in the ass to read script especially when scientific terms are involved and the student has misspelled them to boot :o For a few of the answers I literally had to read some of it out loud to myself and then mentally play back my auditory memory of what I had just said :vlol:

Punaxe
29-05-10, 10:58
(...) But I sign my name in cursive. :p
My signature is a combination: it's print writing, written in a cursive way. :p

http://files.noctifer.net/signature.jpg

BlueJ97
29-05-10, 11:00
Print :ton:
but my signature is cursive :p

Glaçon
29-05-10, 11:20

http://files.noctifer.net/signature.jpg

Your name is Lauren? I love that name. :D

dizzydoil
29-05-10, 11:22
I write cursive. I dislike print. I only use print when it's needed or whatever-

Punaxe
29-05-10, 11:29
Your name is Lauren? I love that name. :D

With one more 's' actually: Laurens. A Dutch variation. :)

Glaçon
29-05-10, 11:30
With one more 's' actually: Laurens. A Dutch variation. :)

It's great :D

lunavixen
29-05-10, 11:39
I voted cursive. I don't join every single letter to each other, but most of them are joined. I think that printed handwriting can look a bit childish sometimes. I wish I could write like the proper old posh cursive, but I can't, so I'm stuck with my silly mostly joined up writing.
print can look beautiful depending on your writing tool and writing style, i can do the old fashioned cursive because my grandfather taught me calligraphy and penmanship before he died
More neat, really? Some cursive is absolutely beautiful. Print will never be beautiful. :/

it depends on the style of print really

Lara Croft!
29-05-10, 12:58
Print, but I often join letter together.

Same here.

Poker15
29-05-10, 13:01
Print.

MiCkiZ88
29-05-10, 13:03

Same for me, but I never write my full last name, just the first letter and then some loops/lines.

And I also write much faster and more neat in print than cursive.

TombOfRaiders
29-05-10, 13:21
Cursive. ;)

Heckler
29-05-10, 13:24
A mixture between both...
Certain schools here start in cursive in the 1st grade.
Majority of kids here can write and read at age 4 to 5. Probably the only thing I'm grateful here about the department of education. You start quite early.
We start learning and writing the alphabet at age 3 and learn cursive in the beginning of Primary school.
Cursive writing used to be compulsory throughout your school years. Or at least in this part of SA...(Gauteng)

I, Tomb Raider
29-05-10, 14:36
Very often cursive.
Like it better. :D

Mytly
29-05-10, 18:23
Cursive - when I write at all, that is. Nowadays I use the PC or my phone for almost everything, so on the rare occasion when I do have to write something by hand, it feels very strange. :p

Rai
29-05-10, 19:43
A mixture of both really. I tend to print if I want to stay neat, but my writing tends to be a muddle of print and cursve.

The chart Punaxe showed earlier was similar to the style that my son's school adopted to be more 'european'. They had to write like that even though most struggled to write without all the added join lines. I actually think it set him back for a while there.

Phys
29-05-10, 20:00
^thats called Print

This :p

lara c. fan
29-05-10, 20:38
Cursive.

Whenever I try writing in print I always end up making it cursive anyway.

trXD
29-05-10, 20:50
I used to do cursive, but I switched to print because it just looks so much more neat :D

demonslayer
29-05-10, 23:14
Print :)

irjudd
29-05-10, 23:21
Print because cursive takes too long and is annoying to read later.

tranniversary119
29-05-10, 23:33
Print :wve:

stuppy,boii
30-05-10, 03:33
printing its way easier but not always as neat as cursive

Glaçon
30-05-10, 03:38
I find it strange seeing so many people saying that print is much faster for them! For me it's the complete opposite, I thought that was the "point" of cursive :p

Catracoth
30-05-10, 04:35
My cursive is terrible, but my print is amazing.

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 05:24
Cursive. This example of my handwriting is rather messy actually. Its much neater in my schoolbooks.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/scan0001-1.jpg

I find cursive much faster than printing as you only have to lift the pen off the paper at the end of each word rather than each letter. I usually finish writing lines well before my classmates. Also im the only person in my year who knows how to read and write cursive, wouldnt be expected from a 14 year old boy.

Also I hate ballpoint pens, they make for messy writing, a fountain pen (or modern techpoint pen 0.4) is much neater as you dont have to press hard on the paper.

michaeldt
30-05-10, 05:32
sorry, but whats cursive? :o

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 05:40
Cursive/Script/Handwriting is writing in style similar to what I posted above. This post is written in Printing.

Glaçon
30-05-10, 05:43
sorry, but whats cursive? :o

"Running writing".

sephiroth99
30-05-10, 06:04
I write in gibberish :tea:

Even I have trouble re-reading what I have written (for example courses notes)

I often write words in small sections of cursive. I'll stop to cross the 't' and to dot the 'i'

NemesisxAngelus
03-08-10, 18:19
Bumping this thread, but :p I more write print even though I often join the last two letters together. :) (Had a hard time figuring out how I actually write the most lol :o)

[Xmas]
03-08-10, 18:20
Both. :p

matrix54
03-08-10, 18:23
I use both, but when I write in cursive, it looks neat, but I do it slow. I'm used to writing in print, so I am faster with that, it it's neater than my cursive. :p

Drone
03-08-10, 18:24
lol I don't even remember when last time I actually did write a thing ...

Shark_Blade
03-08-10, 18:37
Print. Simple and clear.

Cursive is sometimes hard and annoying to read.

star-dust
03-08-10, 18:46
I mostly print, but every once and a while I'll write in cursive. :)

larson n natla
03-08-10, 18:51
Print my writing isn't very nice to look at.

:o

just croft
03-08-10, 23:48
No option for both? :tea:

Print when I need it to be readable (tests)
Cursive when I'm writting for myself (notes)

Legends
03-08-10, 23:52
Print, if possible. It's faster. However, I hand write it if I need it to be personal.

Tonyrobinson
04-08-10, 00:06
Me own unique form of Cursive. :p