PDA

View Full Version : 150,000 for Broadband?!

TR FAN 18
28-05-10, 18:25
BT has quoted a pensioner 150,000 to install a broadband line to her home in rural Wales.

The national telco contacted Beverley McCartney, who lives in Salem, Carmarthenshire, last week, the BBC reports.

It had previously told her it could not connect her home, but was pleased to say it now could for the bargain price of 129,613.54 plus VAT. BT said it would contribute 8,000.

A shocked Mrs McCartney said: "I phoned BT and said surely this is a typing error and the girl said, 'No, there's been no mistake, other people have had bills for much more than this.'"

Other houses in Salem, which is three miles outside Llandeilo, do have broadband, so the village isn't classified as a "not-spot" which would qualify for a Welsh Assembly subsidy.

BT spokesman Chris Orum defended the quote. "If it's just one individual person and it requires upgrading the network for one person, no company would cover that," he said.

Source: The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/27/bt_wales_quote/)

I'm seriously amazed that BT is allowed to charge that much! That's extortion right there! :yik:

Uzi master
28-05-10, 18:32
.... get a modem....

tranniversary119
28-05-10, 18:34
That's ridiculous.

Capt. Murphy
28-05-10, 18:43
How can they possibly justify such an outrageous fee?

One would have to remortgage their freaking home.

Mr.Burns
28-05-10, 18:50
It's not extortion. I deal with installing broadband on a constant basis and the article is quite misleading. First off, they don't say how far out she is, how far away she is from the closest existing main line and they don't mention the costs involved with running a cable line out to her. Running a solid copper like or even a copper clad steel trunk line is EXTREMELY expensive, not to mention the costs involved with either burial of said cable or utility poles if the line is above ground. I've had customers who were quoted almost the same amount from the local cable company because they were three miles outside of the existing grid system. Trust me, that stuff is very pricey to run.

She would be better off with either a hot spot, a wireless internet card or satellite internet.

toxicraider
28-05-10, 18:55
.... get a modem....
That's not going to help, because she's not connected to the line.
The price is justified, as Mr Burns says, but I don't think BT should have called her and told her. I doubt that many people actually pay for that service, so it seems completely pointless them ringing to say. I suppose they were making her aware of the possibility. It just doesn't seem like they bothered to tell her everything, like why the high costs.

I was going to suggest satellite internet, it would probably be faster than the line, as well as a thousandth of the price. :p

Rai
28-05-10, 19:05
Good lord that's extortionate. If other villagers have indeed got broadband then I don't see why this lady would have to fork out so much. 130 maybe not 130,000. Are they having to dig up her road to install the cables? Even so why is an individual having to pay? I can't believe others have had to pay. As Capt.Murphy said a person would have to remortgage their house. Incredible.

Draco
28-05-10, 19:33
Stop calling it extortion, it isn't. She shouldn't get special treatment just because she lives outside of the 'box'.

The fact this is even a story is ridiculous enough.

ggctuk
28-05-10, 19:34
Sod BT, go for Sky Broadband :whi:

Mr.Burns
28-05-10, 19:42
Stop calling it extortion, it isn't. She shouldn't get special treatment just because she lives outside of the 'box'.

The fact this is even a story is ridiculous enough.

Well, this is what happens when people don't read through a thread and only read part of the opening post. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I hear about this all the time.

Minty Mouth
28-05-10, 19:44
Other houses in Salem, which is three miles outside Llandeilo, do have broadband, so the village isn't classified as a "not-spot" which would qualify for a Welsh Assembly subsidy.

But it sounds like other people haven't been charged the same amount. . .

Mr.Burns
28-05-10, 19:48

But it sounds like other people haven't been charged the same amount. . .

Distance from the village isn't the only factor. It's a matter of how far the woman is from the last existing main line. Also if there aren't many people on her road, they won't run a main line on the road unless people fork over the money. It's not cost effective if no one is going to use it or if they won't make enough money back to justify the costs of installing the lines.

TR FAN 18
28-05-10, 19:57
Sod BT, go for Sky Boradband :whi:

That's what we've got. :D