PDA

View Full Version : Verizon + iPhone = Not Gonna Happen

Catracoth
30-05-10, 01:49
Don't count on an iPhone from Verizon. Would-be iPhone users who don't want to sign up with AT&T may be in for a disappointment.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109681/dont-count-on-a-verizon-iphone

This makes me happy.

IceColdLaraCroft
30-05-10, 02:04
that's SO stupid!

If you opened your phone up to more people..guess what you'd get MORE people to buy them! it says Verizon has 93 million customers!!

Why do they care which company uses their phone?

There are hundreds of new phones that come out every year. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something better than the iphone by 2012 when their "exclusivity" contract with AT&T runs out.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 02:09
Someone's got their knickers in a twist :whi:. Let's be real - regardless of which company offers the iPhone; there will always be competitors: Verizon's Droid, T-Mobile's HTC, for instance. Besides, AT&T paid big money for the exclusivity and Apple already makes a lot of green. They're not greedy, but they're smart.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. I'm just happy to see AT&T get their share of the limelight in terms of having exclusive access to one of the world's most popular electronic devices.

robm_2007
30-05-10, 02:17
its not that big of a deal. its the same concept as console-exclusive games; we will all get over it, considering the iPhone has always been on AT&T.

IceColdLaraCroft
30-05-10, 02:19
Someone's got their knickers in a twist :whi:. Let's be real - regardless of which company offers the iPhone; there will always be competitors: Verizon's Droid, T-Mobile's HTC, for instance. Besides, AT&T paid big money for the exclusivity and Apple already makes a lot of green. They're not greedy, but they're smart.

Seriously, it's not a big deal. I'm just happy to see AT&T get their share of the limelight in terms of having exclusive access to one of the world's most popular electronic devices.

Apple IS greedy! All of their crap is expensive.

its not that big of a deal. its the same concept as console-exclusive games; we will all get over it, considering the iPhone has always been on AT&T.

It's about $120 to have an iphone which is about $40/month than what I pay

Catracoth
30-05-10, 03:04
Apple IS greedy! All of their crap is expensive.

Think about what you're paying for. I think, given the excellence you're getting with Apple products, their prices are fair, if not generous. They could charge a lot more for a computer that it's near impossible to get a virus on.

It's about $120 to have an iphone which is about $40/month than what I pay

False. I pay much less for my iPhone :wve:.

robm_2007
30-05-10, 03:30
False. I pay much less for my iPhone :wve:.

perhaps IceCold live in Australia, (s)he might have payed that much for his/her phone and bill in Aussie dollars. but i am not sure about his or her location and currency; so that wouldnt really make what IceCold says is false, even if it was USD.

you are coming off as hostile and condesending with your tone (which i might be reading incorrectly, due to the internet) and the waving smiley; but i know that you dont care what anyone thinks, and you are right to have such an attitude if you wish.

:o

Catracoth
30-05-10, 04:19
Well for starters, as you admitted, you don't know where he's from, so that statement wasn't really relevant. Considering that he used the dollar sign, I'm pretty sure he's from America. And what he said "It's about $120 to have an iPhone" is basically saying that that's the price everyone would pay, which is false, hence my statement ;).

I don't think I'm coming off as hostile or condescending at all - I'm speaking the truth point blank. And if I were so careless as you claim I am, why would you make such a comment if you thought I wouldn't care?

robm_2007
30-05-10, 04:36
Oink

MattTR
30-05-10, 04:40
I knew it was all a rumor.. can't let these things fool me. :ton:

I have had AT&T forever, so I'm not bothered.. :eek:

Catracoth
30-05-10, 04:43
I suggest doing your homework - there are different iPhones, all varying from $100, $200, and $300. What he was referring to was monthly payments, and as I said before, the way he said it made it sound like everyone would pay $120 a month for an iPhone which isn't true at all. That's the only reason for my argument.

You may think I'm coming off as rude, but that's your misinterpretation. I suggest ending being so quick to jump to conclusions, especially when you don't know someone's tone of voice - that's why one invented the benefit of the doubt - I use it all the time and I am less miserable when browsing the forums.

Not to mention that just because a greater percentage of the forum community uses the waving emoticon as a sarcastic ploy, doesn't mean everyone on the forum does :wve:.

_Awestruck_
30-05-10, 04:48
I pay $60 extra dollars a month for the data plan that came with my iPhone, and that's it.

Its good that we're finally getting rid of these rumors because I never liked the idea of Verizon getting the iPhone.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 04:49
I pay $60 extra dollars a month for the data plan that came with my iPhone, and that's it.

Its good that we're finally getting rid of these rumors because I never liked the idea of Verizon getting the iPhone.

Interesting. What are your reasons for not wanting Verizon to get their mits on it?

MattTR
30-05-10, 04:50
I got my iPhone for $199 with the 2-year contract, it's a 16GB 3GS in white. With me and my dad on the same plan, we pay under $200 a month, but he doesn't have an iPhone like me..

There are different rates across the board, and different options to what kind of plan you want.. so you're not forced to pay up to $120 as far as I know. :eek:

Catracoth
30-05-10, 04:53
I was blessed with the 32GB black iPhone 3GS with my parents who got Samsung phones, and we pay a little over $100 (but less than $120) a month for the three of us. A sliver more expensive than our T-Mobile bill, but we get much better service for a little more than before, which pleases us greatly.

_Awestruck_
30-05-10, 04:59
Interesting. What are your reasons for not wanting Verizon to get their mits on it?

I don't really know, to be honest. I think it's because I like having an exclusive phone that no one else can have (unless they have AT&T). Alot of people here have Sprint - which have awful phones IMO. It's the exclusivity that makes me want an iPhone, and I'm definitely upgrading to the new one this summer. Plus Verizon already got their hands on the Palm Pre and Pixi and added the word "Plus" to the end of the names. Can you imagine? iPhone 3GS PLUS? It sounds dumb, and of course Verizon would do something to make it seem more appealing than AT&T's iPhone, when really they'd be the same thing. Verizon needs to step off of AT&T's turf. How about AT&T gets the Droid then Verizon can have their iPhone Plus? That sounds like a good deal to me.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:02
I don't really know, to be honest. I think it's because I like having an exclusive phone that no one else can have (unless they have AT&T).

That's my main reason, regardless of how stuck up I sound. Like my ringtone says, "This is my ringtone, it's on my iPhone; no you don't have one, you're on Verizon." But I just got mine last month, so I'll give the new iPhone a miss, especially given how unappealing it is to me :p.

Plus Verizon already got their hands on the Palm Pre and Pixi and added the word "Plus" to the end of the names. Can you imagine? iPhone 3GS PLUS? It sounds dumb, and of course Verizon would do something to make it seem more appealing than AT&T's iPhone, when really they'd be the same thing. Verizon needs to step off of AT&T's turf. How about AT&T gets the Droid then Verizon can have their iPhone Plus? That sounds like a good deal to me.

Like I said before, Verizon has the Droid and T-Mobile as the HTC. Let AT&T have the iPhone and be done with it.

spikejones
30-05-10, 05:06
that's SO stupid!

If you opened your phone up to more people..guess what you'd get MORE people to buy them! it says Verizon has 93 million customers!!

There are hundreds of new phones that come out every year. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something better than the iphone by 2012 when their "exclusivity" contract with AT&T runs out.

verizon has a history of locking down many features of their phones by implementing their own custom firmware on them. A verizon branded iPhone wouldn't be the same or as good as an AT&T iPhone. I'm not exactly sure why this comes as a surprise to some of you anyhow. I was pretty much under the assumption the iPhone would always be an AT&T exclusive.

_Awestruck_
30-05-10, 05:06
That's my main reason, regardless of how stuck up I sound. Like my ringtone says, "This is my ringtone, it's on my iPhone; no you don't have one, you're on Verizon." But I just got mine last month, so I'll give the new iPhone a miss, especially given how unappealing it is to me :p.

Like I said before, Verizon has the Droid and T-Mobile as the HTC. Let AT&T have the iPhone and be done with it.

I've had mine for a year and a half now, so I'm due. I got mine in October of 09 (back when 8GB iPhones were expensive) and it's pretty outdated.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:07
I was pretty much under the assumption the iPhone would always be an AT&T exclusive.

Until of course Apple ends up releasing their own mobile phone carrier service.

BoyTRaider
30-05-10, 05:07
Or you could always unlock the iPhone and use it with T-mobile. :)

Lol kidding. :p

So does this mean iPhone will keep being only exclusive for AT&T... I wonder how long Apple signed contract to withhold their binds to them.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:09

Why spend a significantly more amount of money to do such a thing to use the phone with such a terrible service provider?

So does this mean iPhone will be exclusive only for AT&T?

As it's been for the past three years.

robm_2007
30-05-10, 05:22

Lol kidding. :p

T-Mobile is quite terrible, amd some ppl can charge you a lot to flash a phone. but not my former uncle, you could get him a pizza and beer, and he pratically would have your phone flashed for no money:pi:

im guessing that AT&T will pay big bucks to keep the Iphone a sole provider of service for the Iphone. but by the time their contract ends (someone said 2012?), ther will prolly already be a better phone that the iphone.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:23
Fat chance :pi:.

robm_2007
30-05-10, 05:31
Fat chance :pi:.

ironically, he is fat........oh were still talking about the phone?

ppl can just buy an Ipod touch, and also the next best phone; it might be much more expensive, but at least they have a phone, and the rest of what an Iphone does.

ECB
30-05-10, 05:37
I think that it's a good thing the iPhone is staying with AT&T, they really need their own phone. Also, I've seen the leaked iPhone 4G photos a hundred times, but has Apple officially released any photos yet? This should be the General Phone Thread. :p

Tony9595
30-05-10, 05:38
ppl can just buy an Ipod touch, and also the next best phone; it might be much more expensive, but at least they have a phone, and the rest of what an Iphone does.

That's what I did.

I bought my iPod touch at $380 USD while an iPhone costs $1,070 USD. That sucks, I'd rather stick with my crappy Nokia... I still can put it behind my iPod and act like I'm using an iPhone :pi:

Cochrane
30-05-10, 06:50
I don't really know, to be honest. I think it's because I like having an exclusive phone that no one else can have (unless they have AT&T). Alot of people here have Sprint - which have awful phones IMO. It's the exclusivity that makes me want an iPhone, and I'm definitely upgrading to the new one this summer. Plus Verizon already got their hands on the Palm Pre and Pixi and added the word "Plus" to the end of the names. Can you imagine? iPhone 3GS PLUS? It sounds dumb, and of course Verizon would do something to make it seem more appealing than AT&T's iPhone, when really they'd be the same thing. Verizon needs to step off of AT&T's turf. How about AT&T gets the Droid then Verizon can have their iPhone Plus? That sounds like a good deal to me.

So you want an iPhone just because Sprint users canít have it? That is kind of stupid in my most humble opinion. After all, those users can just switch to AT&T. I also seriously doubt that Apple would allow something like Verizon branding on the iPhone, or some sort of "iPhone plus". As it is, AT&T gets to decide the contract terms for all US-american iPhone users, and they havenít been very nice there. If there was competition, the prices would probably drop for all iPhone customers.

There are valid reasons not to want an iPhone on Verizon. Personally, I donít want Apple to waste money on developing and distributing a second iPhone for an essentially dying network system that nobody outside North America uses, when they could instead spend that money on making the next GSM or LTE phone better. But just because you donít like the other providers? Nope, not good enough a reason.

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 06:53
So you want an iPhone just because Sprint users canít have it?

Snob appeal ftw! You'd be surprised.

Draco
30-05-10, 09:22
Verizon's Droid, T-Mobile's HTC

The Droid Incredible is made by HTC. HTC also makes a host of AT&T's phones.

Until of course Apple ends up releasing their own mobile phone carrier service.

They won't.

Poker15
30-05-10, 09:35
Is it good or bad?:p

I actually begin to dislike Apple.
They steal ideas.(Eg Ipad wich is basicly a big ipod touch where u can read books).
-.-

Cochrane
30-05-10, 10:03

They steal ideas.(Eg Ipad wich is basicly a big ipod touch where u can read books).
-.-

So Apple stole the idea for the iPad from the iPod touch, which is also made by Apple? My, what an evil company.

*richietrent*
30-05-10, 10:46

-.-

So Apple stole the idea for the iPad from the iPod touch, which is also made by Apple? My, what an evil company.

What i think they mean is that, Apple as big a company it is can't find new things to develop so they steal other ideas and concepts then make them their own. Like this new "Ipad", im definately sure that Microsoft tried to developed something like this before but failed, and 9 times out of 10 Microsoft makes a product.. then launches it not realising their product is full of viruses and bugs, or it doesn't meet the consumers expectations! I myself would like to get hold of one of these Ipads just to see what their like and how they operate but i'll wait til Apple steals more ideas and create more products then the price would decrease :D

robm_2007
30-05-10, 11:28
What i think they mean is that, Apple as big a company it is can't find new things to develop so they steal other ideas and concepts then make them their own. Like this new "Ipad", im definately sure that Microsoft tried to developed something like this before but failed, and 9 times out of 10 Microsoft makes a product.. then launches it not realising their product is full of viruses and bugs, or it doesn't meet the consumers expectations! I myself would like to get hold of one of these Ipads just to see what their like and how they operate but i'll wait til Apple steals more ideas and create more products then the price would decrease :D

didnt Bill Gates steal the entire concept or Microsoft software from another guy that was working with him? (he supposedly filed the patent and made it seem it was all his idea; but this is just rumors) my roommate said something like that, yet i had never heard of it before.

too bad for Microsoft, if they cant make a product that functions properly, then another company will make thier own; a touch-screen device was bound to happen. next stop, a phone that transmits thorugh your brain :ton:

its stupid that Apple would make thier own phone service company, i cant ever see it happening.

the iphone will still be sold out everywhere whether or not it is exclusive to a certain service company.

badboy70
30-05-10, 11:58
Am i glad that phones aren't tied to contracts here in Belgium, they're usually all unlocked.
But I don't care for the iPhone anyway, Windows Mobile ftw!
I'm looking forward to Windows Phone 7 tho, as it'll be less laggy :P

oczucRlTurQ&feature=related

Catracoth
30-05-10, 12:40
The Droid Incredible is made by HTC. HTC also makes a host of AT&T's phones.

Yes...and? :confused:

They won't.

Don't be so sure of yourself.

Cochrane
30-05-10, 13:13

Apple has no experience with such large infrastructure projects, which means this would get very costly. The alternative would be to become a virtual provider using AT&T's net, but that wouldn't help with the network issues and would probably not come cheap either. I can't imagine it in the foreseeable future.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 13:51
I was moreso making a pun based on Apple being a top company, opposed to thinking realism.

*richietrent*
30-05-10, 14:08
didnt Bill Gates steal the entire concept or Microsoft software from another guy that was working with him? (he supposedly filed the patent and made it seem it was all his idea; but this is just rumors) my roommate said something like that, yet i had never heard of it before.

Am pretty sure that didn't happen ive tried looking around to find out if any such thing has happened but to no avail, all i got was that Bill gates became part of the company and became CEO of Microsoft. However, i do agree on the perception that someday a company will make a product which will involve our phsyical body, such as our pulse or brain signals, its just a matter of when, im sure their testing it out somwhere lol.

_Awestruck_
30-05-10, 15:17
So you want an iPhone just because Sprint users canít have it? That is kind of stupid in my most humble opinion. After all, those users can just switch to AT&T. I also seriously doubt that Apple would allow something like Verizon branding on the iPhone, or some sort of "iPhone plus". As it is, AT&T gets to decide the contract terms for all US-american iPhone users, and they havenít been very nice there. If there was competition, the prices would probably drop for all iPhone customers.

There are valid reasons not to want an iPhone on Verizon. Personally, I donít want Apple to waste money on developing and distributing a second iPhone for an essentially dying network system that nobody outside North America uses, when they could instead spend that money on making the next GSM or LTE phone better. But just because you donít like the other providers? Nope, not good enough a reason.

Lets just leave it at that I want the iPhone to stay exclusive to AT&T.

Draco
30-05-10, 18:13

If my point wasn't crystal clear already, there is nothing more I can say to make you understand it.

I know more about such things than you do. Period.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 19:32
If my point wasn't crystal clear already, there is nothing more I can say to make you understand it.

Your point being to inform me of something I already know? Pointless if you ask me.

I know more about such things than you do. Period.

LOL exactly how high is your throne, oh great one?
:rolleyes:.

Draco
30-05-10, 20:18
Your point being to inform me of something I already know? Pointless if you ask me.

What you said indicated you didn't know it. I merely attempted to inform you. But you go right on ahead and be confused.

LOL exactly how high is your throne, oh great one?
:rolleyes:.

You might as well start calling me Tony Stark.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 20:24
What you said indicated you didn't know it. I merely attempted to inform you. But you go right on ahead and be confused.

I was confused as to why you posted that irrelevant fact, hence my questioning response.

irjudd
30-05-10, 20:45
Because it's fun to state facts that you think someone else is ignorant of, regardless of the relevance.

Draco
30-05-10, 21:08
I was confused as to why you posted that irrelevant fact, hence my questioning response.

It was relevant to your own statement.

Catracoth
30-05-10, 21:45
I still don't understand it's pertinence so, moving on.

Draco
30-05-10, 22:36
Clearly, and please do.

Mr.Burns
30-05-10, 22:41
You two done bickering? Finally grown up? Good. Now back on topic.

AmericanAssassin
30-05-10, 22:41
I guess I won't be getting one then. Oh well, I'll just get a BlackBerry again. I prefer the setup anyway. Much cleaner and more organized. ;)

SkyPuppy
30-05-10, 22:46
i never been too impressed with the iPhone anyways.. plus i'm not with Verizon anymore after being screwed over by my father and him not paying my plan like he was suppose to for my birthday gift. :rolleyes: i use T-mobile.. and the phone i have is good enough for me. i've had a touch screen phone and i hated it... the only thing i liked about it was that it was pink. xD

don't get me wrong.. i love Apple.. but only when it comes to their Macs, iPods and iTunes. :)

Catracoth
31-05-10, 00:12
I won't lie, I love my iPhone, but now that I have one, it isn't as big a deal as it was before I got one.

Indeed, quite some time ago :p.

Draco
31-05-10, 00:52

Bickering implies it was an argument or contention of some kind. Not the mere lack of understanding basic english it was in actuality.

TombRaiderFan.
31-05-10, 07:31
I bet most Verizon users don't even care anyways. Android has left the IPhone is the dust with all those phones they keep flooding the market with. They've the Droid and the Incredible which can do quiet a lot, if not more than the IPhone.

Regardless, I'm still interested in what Apple has to show us at the WWDC 2010 soon. For Apple's sake it should be better than that lousy leaked IPhone 4G that has been going around, that thing is ugly! More like a downgrade than an upgrade. :hea:

Weemanply109
31-05-10, 13:22
Don't count on an iPhone from Verizon. Would-be iPhone users who don't want to sign up with AT&T may be in for a disappointment.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109681/dont-count-on-a-verizon-iphone

This makes me happy.

I don't even know what Verizon or AT&T is... (I live in the UK ;) )

that's SO stupid!

Yes, I agree, having more companies that provide the phone = more buyers ;)

Also that thing about having a phone thats better than the Iphone, there are quite a number of phones that have beaten the Iphone in technology, Samsung Wave, Google Nexus One, Nokia N900 and there is more.

Iphone isn't the best anymore, don't get me wrong, Its ONE of the best, but ain't THE BEST the only great thing from Iphone is the App Store, thats why its soo popular. ;)