PDA

View Full Version : You Just Can't Keep Up

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:06
In the thread regarding the iPhone remaining exclusive to AT&T, _Awestruck_ made a statement that got the juices flowing. Have you ever gotten something (an electronic, namely) and then soon after, they released a newer version or something better?

That seems to happen to me damn near every time I get my hands on some more pieces of consumerism, and why I continue to succumb is beyond me. Fear of being inferior? A desire to be at the top of the chain? Lord Jesus knows, but it's getting tiring.

The fact is: you just can't keep up with technology. And if you've got the money to always stay on top, you can go jump off a cliff ;). But anyway, it's utterly ridiculous and the world is far too much with us.

So, discussion topic being, have you ever encountered this inevitable experience?

Tombraiderx08
30-05-10, 05:14
I got a dsi, then a week or so later, the 3ds or w.e. was announced :pi: I was not pleased :vlol:

Catracoth
30-05-10, 05:17
The most recent for me was when I got my iPhone last month and then learn that a new one is coming out next month. Luckily for me, the new iPhone is unappealing.

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 05:17
I've never cared enough to try to stay on top of new technology - I pretty much get things years after they're new and trendy. Just last year I got a touch-screen cell phone:p

spikejones
30-05-10, 05:21
yeah thats the way it is with technology these days pretty much. if you go to the store to buy a computer, its already "obsolete" since you can go online that very same day and find something more powerful for comparable (or less) cost. But odds are by the time that gets shipped to you, theres gonna be a slightly better product on the market.

same goes with programming languages. anyone who works in the IT field should be able to verify that you pretty much have to keep "going to school" in order to keep up to date. I'm half tempted to say that the text books youd be studying in college would be "out dated" by the time you graduate.

but meh.. I kept my razr for about 3 years before I got a new one. and I only got that one because the razr was finally starting to glitch out on me. I don't need no damn smart phone. hell i dont even get game consoles when they first hit the market. if I even do get one, its not until the next version is already on the market, cuz then I get the previous version for a fraction of what everyone else paid for it when it was the best thing out there.
I've never cared enough to try to stay on top of new technology - I pretty much get things years after they're new and trendy. Just last year I got a touch-screen cell phone:p

i still dont have one

sephiroth99
30-05-10, 05:28
i still dont have one

me neither! dumb phones FTW! we should start a club :p

people should buy technology according to their needs, not their wants. But I know it's hard to resist sometimes. Just recently I bought a new computer, but I didn't really needed to, I still feel my old one was good enough. :hea: Meh, at least it's new and shiny :cln:

Andyroo
30-05-10, 05:31
So, discussion topic being, have you ever encountered this inevitable experience?

Sort of, but not actively. I wouldn't be able to keep up with the latest techno-crap if I wanted to, but I don't want to. I don't want to be 'that person' who relies on having the newest phone or mp3 player.

I couldn't care less that my mobile phone is four years old, no-one rings it anyway. I haven't actually used the phone for anything other than a watch for the last three years anyway. I couldn't care less if my tv is a Hitachi and pretty old, it's still big, and looks good. I still have, and use, an Xbox (although I don't use it as an Xbox, it's my media-center, but gets the job done better than anything).

I'll probably never get a new console until there's like a Play Station 5 or something like that. Or a new touchscreen phone in like a few more years, if I actually need a new phone, or if I have money and just want one.

:D

spikejones
30-05-10, 05:32
i like your avatar :cln:

Andyroo
30-05-10, 05:40
i like your avatar :cln:

Mine?

Thanks. :D

Harley Davidson. Seriously, what more reason is there to live? :D:D

cbragg09
30-05-10, 06:17

I dont have a cell phone, just got my first real new computer a couple years ago, and have the small 3rd generation Ipod nano.

I am happy, cause I know Ill never be able to have the "latest and greatest" cause by the time I do, it wont be "late" and "great" anymore cause something better will be coming out or already out

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 06:25
I dont have a cell phone, just got my first real new computer a couple years ago, and have the small 3rd generation Ipod nano.

I am happy, cause I know Ill never be able to have the "latest and greatest" cause by the time I do, it wont be "late" and "great" anymore cause something better will be coming out or already out

Sounds like despair!

remote91
30-05-10, 08:06
I got my Mum a DS for her birthday and then I was pretty ****ed when they brought out a 'better' one like, a month later

Cochrane
30-05-10, 08:17
It is very easy to get caught up in that and complain that one has something outdated, but that’s not helping. The key to happiness is to be happy with what you have, not what you could have. I buy new computers and similar when the old ones have gotten too slow, not when the new ones have gotten too fast. And it took me quite a while to reach that stage. :D

Draco
30-05-10, 09:10
I'm half tempted to say that the text books youd be studying in college would be "out dated" by the time you graduate.

More like by the time they are printed.

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 09:56

You're further ahead than me...im yet to even get a cell phone.

I dont like that laptops are replacing schoolbooks. Paper has been used for thousands of years. Are we to become completely reliant on machines. We've got calculators so we dont know how to add. We've got spell-check so we dont know how to spell. We've got laptops so we dont know how to write. We've got text messaging so we dont know how to speak and we've got speed dial so we dont have to remember numbers.

Come to think of it what do we do???

Alive_and_Funky
30-05-10, 12:22
I'm not sure if these examples count, but I ended up getting the regular editions of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Fallout 3 each within a month before the Game of the Year editions were released. Oh well.

lara c. fan
30-05-10, 12:24
You're further ahead than me...im yet to even get a cell phone.

I dont like that laptops are replacing schoolbooks. Paper has been used for thousands of years. Are we to become completely reliant on machines. We've got calculators so we dont know how to add. We've got spell-check so we dont know how to spell. We've got laptops so we dont know how to write. We've got text messaging so we dont know how to speak and we've got speed dial so we dont have to remember numbers.

Come to think of it what do we do???

I must be one hell of a different person to everyone else then.

I use all of those, but I know how to do everything they're meant to be replacing.

Unless you're talking about in the future, which I can partially understand.

Capt. Murphy
30-05-10, 12:48
Perhaps I'm a minimalist. I dunno. But I never seen a need to have the newest/bestest thing. It seems like it would be a waste of money.

Just get something and stick with it and make it work. I mean... What if you didn't have anything else anyway? Or those things weren't available? Surprisingly - you will survive. :pi:

I don't have a cell phone (I don't like the idea of anyone being able to track me down) and I don't have cable/satellite. They're all just an added/needless expense.

IMHO. :)

Catracoth
30-05-10, 12:49
I agree with you entirely, Capt. Murphy, and yet I always fall victim to consumerism.

Capt. Murphy
30-05-10, 12:55
I'm reminded of Smokey the Bears moto, and am thinking of a variation of it.

Only You can prevent consumerism. :p

Elmer
30-05-10, 13:51
Product cycles go faster and faster and it is very hard to keep up with them.
If one is not rich, it is even nearly impossible. What I would advise anyone who finds this idea depressing is, not to let their goals be to have the latest and most überpowerful piece of technology.
If you are patient enough, the price of what it is you want technology-wise will go down:)
That's the reason, for example, why I waited two years before I bought a Ps3.
Don't let consumerism trick you into thinking that not being on the top of the chain technology-wise is a terrible shame. Because it isn't.

Lemmie
30-05-10, 13:59
I don't really keep up with technology trends; I don't care enough about them. :p I don't have an MP3 player or an iPod, I can't see the difference between HD TV and the normal stuff; I'm basically a Luddite.

TombRaiderLover
30-05-10, 14:10
I couldn't care less about mobile phones, so the ancient one I own remains abandoned and I have no interest in updating it. Being a big film fan, however, I'm often buying the latest edition of a film. For example, I own Blade Runner on VHS, twice on DVD and once on Blu-ray.

Thrall
30-05-10, 14:33
I got my laptop and it came with Windows Vista installed. A matter of days later they were selling the same laptop in the same place but with Windows 7.
Now I need to for out extra money to get it.

I like my iPod and such but I couldn't give a monkey about phones. Really, mine is like three years out of date and hasn't been turned on since November last year.

Encore
30-05-10, 14:56
IMHO, it's your own fault if you're so "brainwashed" that you honestly believe you NEED the latest piece of technology always up to date.Unless you have a job that unequivocally requires you to update your gadgets, there's no other excuse.

Me, I would go bankrupt if I kept up to date. I'm pretty satisfied with my old Nokia phone, because honestly, why would I need anything else other than the ability to make a phone call and send a text message?! I'm also satisfied with my 4 year old Creative Zen MP3 player because it hasn't failed me yet. It's bulky, so what? It does the job.

The only thing I updated was my PC, because my dad managed to find excellent prices for an upgrade. I am very happy with how it's doing so far, with a Core 2 Quad. Yet, I'm already seeing PCs with Core i-something processors. Well :cen: you, Intel. I'm not upgrading anything for a while. That includes my Windows XP too. :pi:

coolaideonfire
30-05-10, 15:49
I don't care to keep up with all the technological advances. As long as stuff works and does what I need it to then it's fine. I only got a better phone because my old one broke and I only ever use it as an alarm clock anyway, lol.

Lizard of Oz
30-05-10, 16:40
I would keep if if I could afford it.

Last year when I bought my iPod touch 2G, the 3G one with camera and mic came out 2 weeks later.

I temporarily hated Apple. :hea:

MattTR
30-05-10, 16:42
Well.. not really.. That's never happened to me, although I got a DSlite to replace my original DS when the DSi was out, but I got it on purpose since it has a GBA slot. :p

I got my iPhone 3GS back in December and there's no sign of a new one coming out even yet.. so I guess I've been lucky. :ton:

snork
30-05-10, 17:23
This is what made me abandon Linux some years ago.

I was so fed up - everytime I seriously invested time and brain to learn something, it was replaced by somethig different. :mad:

I learned the 80 or so text pages of the LILO manpage and FAQ by heart, so it was replaced by grub. Without prior warning.
Not that LILO was broken or something, but ********* Linux Distributors must have thought, that knowledge about LILO had too widespread among plain users and wanted something more cryptic, that could also be used to boot your washing machine and fridge. :hea:

I learned about kde, promptly they changed the way applications communicate with each other in kde, and changed meant 100% replaced with something your previously hard earned knowledge was worth zilch.

And so on. Some dozen times.
I want to express my special hate to : mandrake/ mandriva.

Now I am going Linux again (Mint & Fedora), but no more with any motivation to really learn about it. :(

Catracoth
30-05-10, 17:53
Now I need to for out extra money to get it.

Why exactly do you feel the need to get the same laptop with a different operating system? Are you really so ungrateful to have a laptop with Windows Vista, or are you striving to be atop the mountain that is consumerism?

People with this kind of attitude get on my nerves - I do not understand why people just can't settle for something just as good.

lara c. fan
30-05-10, 17:54
Why exactly do you feel the need to get the same laptop with a different operating system? Are you really so ungrateful to have a laptop with Windows Vista, or are you striving to be atop the mountain that is consumerism?

People with this kind of attitude get on my nerves - I do not understand why people just can't settle for something just as good.

Or it could just be that Vista is a piece of crap :pi:

:p

Catracoth
30-05-10, 17:58
Going off topic for one moment, I will never understand all the negative talk about Vista. I've had it for over a year now and I've never had a single complaint. I'm grateful to have been able to upgrade from Windows XP, which was good, but my crappy old computer gave it a bad name. Vista is not crap.

Getting back on topic, I think people are far too occupied with futile attempts to keep up with technology to realise what matters most.

Last year when I bought my iPod touch 2G, the 3G one with camera and mic came out 2 weeks later.

You must be mistaken. There is no camera on any iPod Touch.

Draco
30-05-10, 18:05
I tend to make leaps forward in technology. I'm not generally one to stumble forward after the next best thing.

I tend to replace my computer every 3 or 4 years and my cell phone... when it breaks.

herothing
30-05-10, 18:13
I remember when i bought my HTC Touch, about 4-5 new phones came out within the next month :p
That really annoyed me :vlol:

Johnnay
30-05-10, 18:57
When I had a PS1 11 years ago I found out about the PS2 a year later. When I got the PS2 6 years ago I heard about the PS3 a year later(although it was released in around March 07 here).

When I got my iPod Touch 2G 2 years ago I liked it. Now I'm pretty excited I have it despite the 3G Model is out already.

When I got a HDTV a year ago a few months later 3D versions were announced to be released next year and Im like bleh:)

ggctuk
30-05-10, 20:04
I care not whether my tech is new or not. For instance, my phone's not touchscreen. I only use it for doing one thing: making phone calls.

Gregori
30-05-10, 20:18
I'm finally ahead of the curve :)

Draco
30-05-10, 20:20
I'm finally ahead of the curve :)

You bought a Blackberry Curve didn't you...

Catracoth
30-05-10, 21:44
I think I'm content with my iPhone to never upgrade.