PDA

View Full Version : Blatant Racism

Apathetic
30-05-10, 08:24
Today my mom and her friend were talking and she has young children and the neighbors (friends) next door were having a birthday party for their kid. My mom was like, "Why don't you let them play?", to the lady and she responds with "There are blacks there and I'm afraid something bad will happen." So she walks away and I turned to my mom and gave her a really dramatic look and said "Did you hear that?!" But she thought I was overreacting and thought it wasn't racist at all. She said she just wanted to be protective of her children. Shows what she knows. :rolleyes:

What do you think of this?

Dingaling
30-05-10, 08:54
I actually find it more humorous than I do shocking.

Sure it's racist but it's such a ridiculous excuse. They aren't going to infect her children with black genes... oh wait, they will :rolleyes:.

remote91
30-05-10, 08:58
How ignorant.

Silly woman.

GlaÁon
30-05-10, 08:58
:vlol: Daft bint.

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 09:01
Yes, it was a racist remark, but there's not really much discussion to be had about it - kinda like threads like 'animal cruelty is bad!'

Paddy
30-05-10, 09:02
Yes, it was a racist remark, but there's not really much discussion to be had about it - kinda like threads like 'animal cruelty is bad!'
Or As Mr Mackay says on South Park ' Taking drugs is bad...mmkay'

Draco
30-05-10, 09:06
Well, what can you do?

remote91
30-05-10, 09:07
Well, what can you do?
Laugh at their stone age views? :p

Apathetic
30-05-10, 09:08

:D

Draco
30-05-10, 09:08

Which of course won't do a thing to solve the problem :p

remote91
30-05-10, 09:12
I don't think there is a way to solve such a problem, these people obviously had parents that did a shabby job of raising them and when views like this are set at an early age, I imagine it's hard to make them see how wrong it is.

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 09:14
I don't think there is a way to solve such a problem, these people obviously had parents that did a shabby job of raising them and when views like this are set at an early age, I imagine it's hard to make them see how wrong it is.

That's not always the case. Sometimes the child is more racist than the parent, sometimes the parent is racist and the child is not.

remote91
30-05-10, 09:15
That's not always the case. Sometimes the child is more racist than the parent, sometimes the parent is racist and the child is not.
True, I suppose each case of stupidity is unique.

Quasimodo
30-05-10, 09:21
Nevermind.

remote91
30-05-10, 09:26
..whoops

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 09:46
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If we truely do have 'free speech' then we can say what we want about anything.

If she is of the opinion that bad things happen around black people then that notion must have come from somewhere and she wants to protect her children. Now if she thought that bad things happen around black people but let her children play with them i would say she's a bad parent bacause she would be letting her children go somewhere where she thinks something bad would happen.

I see nothing wrong with saying and thinking racist things...so long as it goes no further than words.

Bloody Queen Mary killed protestants because they worshipped a 'false' god, for saying and thinking the protestant religion. Elizabeth the first didnt kill catholics for saying and thinking the catholic religion, but if they took action commited an actual crime then that would be punished.

The same rule should apply today. Saying and thinking racist things shouldnt be punished (especially with 'freedom of speech') but if an action like violence or grafiti is commited then off with their heads!

For example...I dislike asians. I say racist comments about them and I think its alright to...but i would never commit a crime against them.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-05-10, 09:47
gawd what a betch :/ i would have asked her to explain herself :p

Cochrane
30-05-10, 10:10
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If we truely do have 'free speech' then we can say what we want about anything.

If she is of the opinion that bad things happen around black people then that notion must have come from somewhere and she wants to protect her children. Now if she thought that bad things happen around black people but let her children play with them i would say she's a bad parent bacause she would be letting her children go somewhere where she thinks something bad would happen.

I see nothing wrong with saying and thinking racist things...so long as it goes no further than words.

Bloody Queen Mary killed protestants because they worshipped a 'false' god, for saying and thinking the protestant religion. Elizabeth the first didnt kill catholics for saying and thinking the catholic religion, but if they took action commited an actual crime then that would be punished.

The same rule should apply today. Saying and thinking racist things shouldnt be punished (especially with 'freedom of speech') but if an action like violence or grafiti is commited then off with their heads!

For example...I dislike asians. I say racist comments about them and I think its alright to...but i would never commit a crime against them.

Yes, freedom is always the freedom of those who hold different views. Racism, however, is not a valid view. By its nature it is over-generalizing and arbitrary. There is nothing wrong with saying "Donít play with kids from that family, they are a bad influence". However, saying that only "... because they are black" or "... because they are asian" is not a valid view, it is moronic. After all, that statement says nothing at all about the family, which may or may not be very nice, completely independent of how they look like.

Freedom of different informed opinions is essential. Freedom to have prejudice, however, is something I donít like.

Chocola teapot
30-05-10, 10:11
Yeah, It was a racist remark.

Apathetic
30-05-10, 10:14
Yes, freedom is always the freedom of those who hold different views. Racism, however, is not a valid view. By its nature it is over-generalizing and arbitrary. There is nothing wrong with saying "Donít play with kids from that family, they are a bad influence". However, saying that only "... because they are black" or "... because they are asian" is not a valid view, it is moronic. After all, that statement says nothing at all about the family, which may or may not be very nice, completely independent of how they look like.

Freedom of different informed opinions is essential. Freedom to have prejudice, however, is something I donít like.

Exactly....

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 10:22
Yes, freedom is always the freedom of those who hold different views. Racism, however, is not a valid view. By its nature it is over-generalizing and arbitrary. There is nothing wrong with saying "Don’t play with kids from that family, they are a bad influence". However, saying that only "... because they are black" or "... because they are asian" is not a valid view, it is moronic. After all, that statement says nothing at all about the family, which may or may not be very nice, completely independent of how they look like.

Freedom of different informed opinions is essential. Freedom to have prejudice, however, is something I don’t like.

Your view that racism is not a valid view is both valid and invalid as both racism and your view are both valid views..also that having freedom to opinions is okay but you are not free to be prejudice? (which by the way is an opinion)

But freedom is an absolute, there is no middle ground. Either you have freedom of speech or you dont. Saying you are free to say what you want but you cannot say anything racist or prejudice is not freedom at all.

Cochrane
30-05-10, 10:31
But freedom is an absolute, there is no middle ground. Either you have freedom of speech or you dont. Saying you are free to say what you want but you cannot say anything racist is not freedom at all.

Why do people always say freedom is an absolute? I am not free to kill you, does that mean I am not free at all? I don’t think so.

Freedom of speech also includes that we have the right to call some people or their views stupid, such as racists. People are free to say and think what they want, but racism is actively harmful towards other people for no good reason at all.

Edit to add:
Your view that racism is not a valid view is invalid as both racism and your view are both valid views..also that having freedom to opinions is okay but you are not free to be prejudice? (which by the way is an opinon)
No, racism is not a valid view. What evidence is racism based on? What logical steps lead you to conclude that it is a good idea to be racist? It is one of the great myths of the internet that all opinions are equally valid and useful. They are not. Opinions and the reasons behind them can be just plain wrong if they are based on incorrect facts or logical fallacies. Racism is one of those views.

Mad Tony
30-05-10, 10:38

Freedom of different informed opinions is essential. Freedom to have prejudice, however, is something I donít like.It is indeed moronic but I still don't think people should be prosecuted by the law simply for having a racist view or whatever. We start to go into dangerous territory when people are prosecuted simply for their thoughts. If somebody acts upon those views then yes, we should prosecute them.

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 10:41
/\ I agree

Why do people always say freedom is an absolute? I am not free to kill you, does that mean I am not free at all? I don’t think so.

If you are truely free then you are free to kill me but because you are not free to kill me you are not truely free, you can only do what is dictated by the law which is not true freedom.

People are free to say and think what they want, but racism is actively harmful towards other people for no good reason at all.

Yes it is harmful to people. But you should still be free to say it. Having racist comments be punishable isnt right as we have 'freedom of speech'. There is a large difference between saying and doing. People shouldnt be punished for what they say, only for what they do.

No, racism is not a valid view. What evidence is racism based on? What logical steps lead you to conclude that it is a good idea to be racist? It is one of the great myths of the internet that all opinions are equally valid and useful. They are not. Opinions and the reasons behind them can be just plain wrong if they are based on incorrect facts or logical fallacies. Racism is one of those views

I never said it was a good idea to be racist. Im merely saying that it should be acceptable to be. Racism is a valid view, all views are valid. Because what makes a valid view valid is people thinking it is.

lara c. fan
30-05-10, 10:43
If you are truely free then you are free to kill me but because you are not free to kill me you are not truely free, you can only do what is dictated by the law which is not true freedom.

Yes it is harmful to people. But you should still be free to say it. Having racist comments be punishable isnt right as we have 'freedom of speech'. There is a large difference between saying and doing. People shouldnt be punished for what they say, only for what they do.

Well, technically he/she IS free to kill you, they just have to face consequences.

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 10:48
/\ No. S/he CAN kill me. But s/he is not FREE to do so as s/he would be punished.

There is a big difference between being able to do something and being free to do something.

Simochka
30-05-10, 10:51

Words can harm you know. Insulting a person should NEVER be allowed. And saying something racist is insulting. The only time I say something racist is if somebody comments my sexuality.

But I have no reasons or rights to comment if someone is black, asian or white. It's just stupid as hell

Mad Tony
30-05-10, 10:52
The only time I say something racist is if somebody comments my sexuality.That's ridiculous. Why stoop to their level? :confused:

Simochka
30-05-10, 10:53
That's ridiculous. Why stoop to their level? :confused:

Cause that's how I am. I know I should ignore things like that but I just can't. It makes me feel weak or something

!Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 10:53
If you have the right to 'free speech' then you have the right to say what you want. Weither or not you do is your own choice but if you choose to do so then there should be no punishment. If you take it further than words and into actions then you should be punished.

We arnt talking about weither or not it is correct to be racist, but merely that racism is a valid view and you should be free to say and think racist things and that you should not be punished for excersizing that freedom.

Kelly Craftman
30-05-10, 10:54
Which of course won't do a thing to solve the problem :p

You want the problem solved? :p

I say go around and if you hear a racist comment, clip 'em around the ear :pi:

Simochka
30-05-10, 10:58
If you have the right to 'free speech' then you have the right to say what you want. Weither or not you do is your own choice but if you choose to do so then there should be no punishment. If you take it further than words and into actions then you should be punished.

We arnt talking about weither or not it is correct to be racist, but merely that racism is a valid view and you should be free to say and think racist things and that you should not be punished for excersizing that freedom.

If you say something racist to someone and they beat the crap out of you then it's something you should expect. It's a difference between free speech and being a stupid moron

Cochrane
30-05-10, 11:18
It is indeed moronic but I still don't think people should be prosecuted by the law simply for having a racist view or whatever. We start to go into dangerous territory when people are prosecuted simply for their thoughts. If somebody acts upon those views then yes, we should prosecute them.
Maybe I should clarify here: We shouldnít punish people for their thoughts, obviously. However, the actions based on that thoughts (and words can be such actions as well) are things we can and should punish if they hurt other people. And given that those actions can and do hurt other people, we should try to make sure that people are less inclined to hold such views.

I never said it was a good idea to be racist. Im merely saying that it should be acceptable to be. Racism is a valid view, all views are valid. Because what makes a valid view valid is people thinking it is.
Iíll repeat, no, not all views are valid. Stuff isnít valid just because someone thinks it is. The opinion that Pi is three is wrong, no matter how many people hold. Same goes for the view that the world is flat. Yes, people should be free to hold and express such views, but we normal people should be free to call them out on it. There is no reason why stupidity should be acceptable.

Andyroo
30-05-10, 11:37
I never said it was a good idea to be racist. Im merely saying that it should be acceptable to be.

:confused:

By 'acceptable', do you mean if someone heard you talking negatively about someone over/about their race, should they not think you're a racist moron? Or that they should think you're just a person with your own views?

We all might have the 'freedom' to think racist stuff, maybe even to say it but in no way should it be acceptable to do so.

Mad Tony
30-05-10, 11:57
Maybe I should clarify here: We shouldnít punish people for their thoughts, obviously. However, the actions based on that thoughts (and words can be such actions as well) are things we can and should punish if they hurt other people. And given that those actions can and do hurt other people, we should try to make sure that people are less inclined to hold such views.Where do you draw the line?

Lara Croft!
30-05-10, 12:15
I would only justify the mom's reaction if a certain ethnic group caused trouble in a certain neighborhood.

trlestew
30-05-10, 12:18
Even if they did, you cant judge the WHOLE ethnic race :rolleyes:

Capt. Murphy
30-05-10, 13:11
I'd bet she has an 'A-Type' personality. With those kind of people the sky is always falling.

I didn't see these "black people", but I think I'd be hesitant myself if there were teenagers there... Even if they were white teenagers I'd still be apprehensive.

But I guess that makes me (if there is such a word) an Age'ist(?).

And those "black people" might not be the one's that would harm her child. It's the other (mean) black people trying to get those (nice) black people, and the kid would get caught in the crossfire.

No! Don't you dare say I said.... You know what I mean. :mad:

LOL! Bad choice of words. :vlol:

Cochrane
30-05-10, 13:21
Where do you draw the line?

Laws all over the world have already drawn that line. I see no good reason to change it's position now.

disapearing-boy
30-05-10, 13:34

The same rule should apply today. Saying and thinking racist things shouldn't be punished (especially with 'freedom of speech') but if an action like violence or grafiti is commited then off with their heads!

First of all, saying racist things is very hurtful. I have been verbally discriminated against, I've even been told to go back to my own country whilst being in my own country (both my parents are Irish, it's my great grandfather who's Portuguese and i got the lion's share of those genes:p) . I couldn't handle it going any further than just words... It's so upsetting and can affect someone mentally, affect their confidence and their sense of security/belonging ect...

And how is that not as bad as graffiti? Graffiti is just words too.. both can do tremendous damage. And all for the sake of free speech:rolleyes:

People's 'right' to be prejudiced is in direct opposition to people's right to not be prejudiced against. Their right to get through their day without harassment. Prejudice means to 'Pre-Judge', think about it.

So think twice before you say something to Asians mister..

Paddy
30-05-10, 13:38
If you say something racist to someone and they beat the crap out of you then it's something you should expect. It's a difference between free speech and being a stupid moron
Two wrongs dont make a right.

Thrall
30-05-10, 13:38
One thing i've noticed about the people around me lately is that they'll often make racist little comments and laugh at those jokes which go around, but, they'll only be like that if they're not around or within earshot of said people which are being offended.

Going through school it was an odd experience in that one side was constantly told off and suspended for such comments, but the other side simply wasn't out of fear of a backlash.

I suppose the song is right to an extent. "Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes."

trlestew
30-05-10, 13:39
I think they were saying "You should expect someone to be angry for saying something racist to them."

Paddy
30-05-10, 13:39
I think they were saying "You should expect someone to be angry for saying something racist to them."
I figured as much but being violent doesnt help matters :p

disapearing-boy
30-05-10, 13:43
One thing i've noticed about the people around me lately is that they'll often make racist little comments and laugh at those jokes which go around, but, they'll only be like that if they're not around or within earshot of said people which are being offended.

Going through school it was an odd experience in that one side was constantly told off and suspended for such comments, but the other side simply wasn't out of fear of a backlash.

I suppose the song is right to an extent. "Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes."

Yeah i've noticed that too... I also notice lads I work with making homophobic comments and calling people faggot behind their backs.. I'm gay and in the closet so it's really awkward for me to just stand there and listen.

Lemmie
30-05-10, 13:45
Yeah, blatant racism is so ugly.

I prefer my racism insidious and disguised, maybe prefaced by "I'm not racist, but..."

Tonyrobinson
30-05-10, 13:54
There's nothing I can do about this but laugh. It reflects not a blatantly racist woman due to her own thoughts but most probably of a racist upbringing and a concerned parent. It's quite interesting to know the effects what society and key people in lives have on the pyschologic scale :)

Draco
30-05-10, 18:21
Racism is a simple matter of ignorance being the rule rather than the exception. Nobody I know that is racist is also what intelligent people call 'Gifted with Knowledge'.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

But two injustices make a liberal.

IceColdLaraCroft
30-05-10, 18:25
"why don't you let them go on TRF?"

"well there are penguins there!"

Draco
30-05-10, 18:26
"why don't you let them go on TRF?"

"well there are penguins there!"

:vlol:

Dark Lugia 2
30-05-10, 19:34
Its so sad that people justify racism on the basis of it being free speech. Atleast admit racism is ugly? That its a bad thing? That its ignorant?
No, its not bad... because its freedom of speech? -.o
I know nothing can be done about it... But its just so sad :/. Yes you have the freedom to hurt someone, but dont take pride in it.

Tombraiderx08
30-05-10, 19:37
Like there's any more or less of a risk if they had been white, please!

Catracoth
30-05-10, 19:38
I can't help but admit that I've been blatantly stereotypical before, but never ever have I been racist toward anyone.

Dark Lugia 2
30-05-10, 19:46
I can't help but admit that I've been blatantly stereotypical before, but never ever have I been racist toward anyone.

Mmm, that reminds me, I think the phrase "everyone is a bit racist" is a load of bull. I dont speak nor think racist thoughts about anyone.

Gregori
30-05-10, 19:51
Oh dear god, the world is ****ed

Catracoth
30-05-10, 19:53
I couldn't agree more - it's a load of hogwash. Point being, everyone is a bit stereotypical is a much more logical generalisation.

irjudd
30-05-10, 20:52
It's fun to call people idiotic racists because it makes me feel superior. "Those people" are a menace to society.

AliMagic
30-05-10, 21:00
Um...lol? :vlol:

Love2Raid
30-05-10, 21:20
Mmm, that reminds me, I think the phrase "everyone is a bit racist" is a load of bull. I dont speak nor think racist thoughts about anyone.
I think it's more accurate to say that all people somehow can relate more to others from their own race, but that doesn't have anything to do with racism!

So yeah, i agree, it's a load of bull****. :D