PDA

View Full Version : 4G Phones Might Not Be Worth It

Catracoth
31-05-10, 00:09
All the hype might outstrip the actual speed of 4G phones. Are they really faster? Some experts say there is little reason for buyers to scramble for the devices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100530/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec4g_hype

Little-Lara
31-05-10, 00:14
I would at least consider it if the phones had Java and Flash, otherwise, I can't see much use to 4G. My phone's 3G and it's descent.

Catracoth
31-05-10, 00:24
My phone has 3G as well and I hardly ever use it - I'm always on Edge (2G) since it's functional enough for my liking.

robm_2007
31-05-10, 00:27
there prolly should just be a General Apple Products Discussion thread, by now.

but what is the G?

Lemmie
31-05-10, 00:30
Generation, right?

Draco
31-05-10, 00:47
4G and even 3G coverage is so sparse that there really is no point to upgrading for the sake of it.

Catracoth
31-05-10, 01:32
Generation, right?

Indeed.

robm_2007
31-05-10, 01:36
does 3G do anything, or it just the name of the 3rd generation iPhone?

(i hear about 3G coverage, and i dont get it)

Catracoth
31-05-10, 01:43
I won't lie, when I use the 3G on my iPhone, everything is significantly faster than on Edge (2G) but I hardly ever use it because things go fast enough for me on 2G and it preserves my battery life.

IceColdLaraCroft
31-05-10, 01:45
Shouldn't you just create ONE general Cell phone thread? This is like you're 4th in the past two days:rolleyes:

Catracoth
31-05-10, 01:54
Shouldn't you just create ONE general Cell phone thread? This is like you're 4th in the past two days:rolleyes:

I'm only reporting interesting news articles from Yahoo!. And whining will get you nowhere.

Glašon
31-05-10, 04:34
I don't get what the fuss is about. Does it increase the quality of voice to voice communication or is it just data download speeds? Because when I had a 3G simcard, I hardly even used the internet; and I've noticed no difference in speed, signal or quality since loosing that sim and moving back to a 2G.

Johnnay
31-05-10, 05:08
there prolly should just be a General Apple Products Discussion thread, by now.

but what is the G?

Something to do with the celluar data

it does mean generation wise but when it comes to the celluar data it's different

you can't call the first iPhone the 2G(refering to generation) It's the 1st generation with a crap celluar data.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Cochrane
31-05-10, 06:15
In short, the G refers to the generation of mobile network technology.

First Generation (1G, although nobody ever calls it that) were analog radio phones. Nobody uses those anymore, the cell phone towers have been dismantled (or converted to newer technologies) and the frequencies given to other uses.

Second Generation (2G) uses digital transmission and is what everybody uses these days, i.e. GSM or CDMA (there are other standards also in use e.g. in Japan). There are additions for higher download speeds such as GPRS/EDGE, which are sometimes called 2.5G. For reference, the original, first iPhone is a 2.5G device.

The third generation (3G) is known as UMTS (upgrade to GSM) or EDVO (upgrade to CDMA) and is again digital, but now based on data transmission instead of voice transmission. Hence, it offers much higher speeds. There are again additions here like HSDPA for higher speeds, but I never heard anyone use the term 3.5G. The second and third iPhone (the 3G and 3GS) are, as the name implies, devices for 3G networks, although all 3G phones can and do also use 2G networks for some tasks and to preserve battery. Most smartphones these days are 3G, although most don’t have that as part of their name.

TombRaiderFan.
31-05-10, 07:17
What did you expect, 4G has just started. Obviously it will be more promising as things move along. I'm not sure how things were when they first started using 3G, but I get it was a similar story.

All I know is that I'll be picking up a HTC Evo 4G as soon as I can upgrade. I love having the top phone in the market, and that's the one right now. ;)

Anyways, interesting reading. Thanks for posting!

Weemanply109
31-05-10, 14:08
Ofcourse 4G phones are probably not worth the bother, but if you had a choice out of a 3G or a 4G, I would go for 4G of course :jmp:

I would LOVE to have 3G so much better than 2G (I have a LG Cookie :o )

IceColdLaraCroft
31-05-10, 14:29
I'm only reporting interesting news articles from Yahoo!. And whining will get you nowhere.

What I'm saying is that you could create a "general cell phone thread" and then every time there's something to "report" you could just update it. Make it a running thread.

And it depends who one "whines" to

Dark Lugia 2
31-05-10, 14:30
I dont really understand 3G/4G either... :p I'm on 3 network, who if I'm right only have phones with 3G capabilities, and expanding their 3G coverage in the UK is their top priority. I only use wifi and 3G for msn (its just as fast as wifi for msn, if thats what the fuss about 3G is)

*goes to google 4G* :p

TombRaiderFan.
31-05-10, 21:41
What I'm saying is that you could create a "general cell phone thread" and then every time there's something to "report" you could just update it. Make it a running thread.

And it depends who one "whines" to

Well, if you want to get technical, as far as I know 3G and 4G don't only have to do with cellphones. :whi: