PDA

View Full Version : E-mail error ends up on road sign

tlr online
02-06-10, 11:12
When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed. Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated".

So that was what went up under the English version which barred lorries from a road near a supermarket.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45162000/jpg/_45162744_-2.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

Glaçon
02-06-10, 11:13
LMAO! :vlol:

robm_2007
02-06-10, 11:19
OMG, how stupid and funny.

at first i only read the sign; i thought that someone just mashed the keyboard.

Mikky
02-06-10, 11:23
OMG!!! LAMO! :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

LightningRider
02-06-10, 11:28
Oh my God Lol! :vlol:

Kelly Craftman
02-06-10, 11:29
Oh My. lol :vlol:

Glaçon
02-06-10, 11:30

How ignorant of you :wve:

larson n natla
02-06-10, 11:31

Harsh much :p

From the title and anyone not familiar with welsh language it appears that somebody has mashed the keyboard but the hilarity is in the first post :)

Glaçon
02-06-10, 11:34
Harsh much :p

From the title and anyone not familiar with welsh language it appears that somebody has mashed the keyboard but the hilarity is in the first post :)

Sorry, but I just don't think its appropriate to describe a language as mashings on a keyboard. It's hardly better than being racist.

Dennis's Mom
02-06-10, 11:36
Oh snap! :D

Simochka
02-06-10, 11:40
Sorry, but I just don't think its appropriate to describe a language as mashings on a keyboard. It's hardly better than being racist.

Well it doesn't look like a language at first. but when you try to read it you can see that it actually is a language.

I think the welsh language is really fascinating. But sometimes it looks kinda weird like with any unfamiliar languages.

Rivendell
02-06-10, 11:41
Hah! Not the first time it's happened over here, either.

A traffic firm has apologised for a mistake on a bilingual road sign which gave conflicting advice to pedestrians.
The sign was spotted by a north Wales man during a shopping trip to the centre of Cardiff.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7276/41208704roadsign.jpg

In English the sign read 'Look Right,' but underneath the translation into Welsh read 'Look Left.'

Lux Traffic Controls removed the sign as soon as they realised there was a mistake and also apologised for the "misunderstanding".

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4605768.stm)
I'm not entirely sure who they're trying to kill with that one, but presumably the Welsh.. ;)

herothing
02-06-10, 11:42

I'm not entirely sure who they're trying to kill with that one, but presumably the Welsh.. ;)

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

robm_2007
02-06-10, 11:59

um.............okay.:confused:

they really just look(ed) like random letters put together in sentence form. Im sorry for not being up to date on every language; theres some absense of vowels, which makes some of the words look like random jumbles.

i dont see how me being unaware of a language is worse than being a racist. it makes it sound like you support racism over language ignorance.

Rivendell
02-06-10, 12:04
theres some absense of vowels, which makes some of the words look like random jumbles.

In the Welsh language, A E I O U W Y are the vowels, so you'll still be hard-pushed to find a word without a vowel, technically.

Tombraiderx08
02-06-10, 12:06
lol that's just awful.

Cochrane
02-06-10, 12:06

Unlikely. I would assume that more welsh speakers know english than the other way around, so it would make more sense to assume that this is meant to kill all others. :D

xcrushterx
02-06-10, 12:11
Aww that's funny :D Might have been a better idea to respond in English haha..

LOL! ok...

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 12:12

Wow.... Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today eh?

Lucky Cookie
02-06-10, 12:13

On the left you see sheep, on the right you see more sheep :p

Just had to do it xD

Johnnay
02-06-10, 13:08
um.............okay.:confused:

they really just look(ed) like random letters put together in sentence form. Im sorry for not being up to date on every language; theres some absense of vowels, which makes some of the words look like random jumbles.

i dont see how me being unaware of a language is worse than being a racist. it makes it sound like you support racism over language ignorance.

This.. Even I had the feeling the same as yours for a second too:)

Mad Tony
02-06-10, 13:09
This is old news. :p

AliMagic
02-06-10, 13:16

I kind of disagree as to be honest some may not be familiar of the "style" of writing the Welsh have.

Anyways...

:vlol:

Glaçon
02-06-10, 13:47
I kind of disagree as to be honest some may not be familiar of the "style" of writing the Welsh have.

Anyways...

It's one thing to say a language looks strange, or unfamiliar, but to say it looks like someone mashed on a keyboard is derogatory.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 13:51
It's one thing to say a language looks strange, or unfamiliar, but to say it looks like someone mashed on a keyboard is derogatory.

If you look at the sign quickly without reading the article, unless you have some vague familiarity of the language how the hell are you supposed to know WHAT it is? I assume you have a working knowledge of every language on earth eh?

One might call it ignorance, but to call it racist is nothing short of absurd.

Glaçon
02-06-10, 14:01
If you look at the sign quickly without reading the article, unless you have some vague familiarity of the language how the hell are you supposed to know WHAT it is? I assume you have a working knowledge of every language on earth eh?

Oh for crying outloud. I didn't claim any knowledge of Welsh, it's completely foreign to me! I also, didn't claim the person I quoted was being racist, I said it was no better than being racist.

I'm just saying, there are better ways to describe a language, then stating they must have gotten it by "mashing on a keyboard".

Maybe I've falsely assumed people would mind if others paid-out on their language. I know I for one wouldn't appreciate someone saying English, or French etc. etc. sign looked as though someone had mashed on a keyboard.

Languages are part of people's identity, I just felt it was a rude way of expressing their thoughts on Welsh (regardless of how strange it looked to them).

Legend of Lara
02-06-10, 14:25
I first saw this here.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlindIdiotTranslation

D:

Quasimodo
02-06-10, 14:26

I find it both amusing and bemusing that seemingly innocuous threads always turn into an internets war because someone is being oversensitive :p

Glaçon
02-06-10, 14:30
I find it both amusing and bemusing that seemingly innocuous threads always turn into an internets war because someone is being oversensitive :p

I'll show you over sensitive in a minute, Heather! :tea:

*dies hair black and straightens fringe*

igonge
02-06-10, 14:31
Oh the lulz! :vlol:

robm_2007
02-06-10, 14:43
Oh for crying outloud. I didn't claim any knowledge of Welsh, it's completely foreign to me! I also, didn't claim the person I quoted was being racist, I said it was no better than being racist.

I'm just saying, there are better ways to describe a language, then stating they must have gotten it by "mashing on a keyboard".

Maybe I've falsely assumed people would mind if others paid-out on their language. I know I for one wouldn't appreciate someone saying English, or French etc. etc. sign looked as though someone had mashed on a keyboard.

Languages are part of people's identity, I just felt it was a rude way of expressing their thoughts on Welsh (regardless of how strange it looked to them).

yes, but thats the thing: I didnt know it was a language. i knew this was supposed to be a funny thread, and i thought the joke was that whomever made the sign, had mashed the keyboard to make a jumbled statement in order to be a wise-ass.

and i would not care one tiny bit if someone said that English looks like a jumbled mess or whatever, im just not that offendable.

if any Welsh person felt offended by my statement i will gladly oblige them with an apology; i wont mean it, but i will humor them.

Language is part of a culture, yes. But so is food and music. I would never again eat sauerkraut, becuase it is disgusting. I also think that Mariachi bands are ****ing annoying. That doesnt mean that i am being racist against Germans or Mexicans.

"Msjfjh Godj asjqwzzzrtty sommn i ai d sjjso." (is that a language, or did i just mash the keyboard? Dont be so certain of your answer.)

Alpharaider47
02-06-10, 14:45
Hehe you can't go guys, but I'm not really in the office so go anyways!

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 14:47

It probably has something to do with that fact that regardless of the subject, we always have self-appointed advocates for another culture/race/group etc springing out of the woodwork proclaiming: "Someone must have been offended by this!!! Whether it's necessary or not...

Glaçon
02-06-10, 14:54
It probably has something to do with that fact that regardless of the subject, we always have self-appointed advocates for another culture/race/group etc springing out of the woodwork proclaiming: "Someone must have been offended by this!!! Whether it's necessary or not...

Oooh, nice. Thanks for that :tmb:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 14:57
Oooh, nice. Thanks for that :tmb:

Who said I was talking about you? ;)

Glaçon
02-06-10, 15:00
:rolleyes:

Cochrane
02-06-10, 15:12
Language is part of a culture, yes. But so is food and music. I would never again eat sauerkraut, becuase it is disgusting. I also think that Mariachi bands are ****ing annoying. That doesnt mean that i am being racist against Germans or Mexicans.

"Msjfjh Godj asjqwzzzrtty sommn i ai d sjjso." (is that a language, or did i just mash the keyboard? Dont be so certain of your answer.)

First of all, believe me that I will absolutely not hold it against you if you don’t like Sauerkraut. :D

Second, keyboard mashing, definitely. For most of the words in that sentence, you can identify one or two clusters of nearby keyboard keys that were used almost exclusively, with many letters repeated a lot. And yeah, I have way too much time on my hands…

Capt. Murphy
02-06-10, 15:24

How typical of you. :wve:

Anyway. I think it's worth it. I'd keep the sign as is. Also, be sure to put up a photo of the person that had the responsibility of translating it next to the wrong message. :mis:

Quasimodo
02-06-10, 15:41
Welsh is such a beautiful language, though. I'd like to share my favorite Welsh saying with you all:
Ywr hyn sfindgg, h'wi dwynddf sren drunyd.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 15:42
First of all, believe me that I will absolutely not hold it against you if you don’t like Sauerkraut. :D

Second, keyboard mashing, definitely. For most of the words in that sentence, you can identify one or two clusters of nearby keyboard keys that were used almost exclusively, with many letters repeated a lot. And yeah, I have way too much time on my hands…

Sauerkraut rocks...

Drone
02-06-10, 18:04
that'd be funnier if he just said "go to hell ****ing morons, I'm busy"

Rivendell
02-06-10, 18:06
Welsh is such a beautiful language, though. I'd like to share my favorite Welsh saying with you all:
Ywr hyn sfindgg, h'wi dwynddf sren drunyd.

I can't work out for the life of me what that's supposed to say, sorry. :o

Chocola teapot
02-06-10, 18:09
Lmfao, Legend of Lara sent it to me before, The first line looks innocent! XD

Quasimodo
02-06-10, 18:09
"A fool is born every minute."

j/k I made up! lawl.

Uzi master
02-06-10, 18:48
Interesting reactios on glacon, I'll be sure to take it into account when I make my list...

you never heard this:mad:
:p seriously it is funny, and since you say you dont know much if anything of there culture or language you have no right to be offended by it Glacon :wve:

jackles
02-06-10, 18:50
Can we just get back to laughing at the foolishness on the sign now? :)

Little-Lara
02-06-10, 19:40
:vlol: :vlol: Shoot.

This is like something right out the Simpsons.

that'd be funnier if he just said "go to hell ****ing morons, I'm busy"

It could very well have been.... :D

scion89
02-06-10, 19:40
I'm Welsh, I speak English as my 1st language but I'm also a Welsh speaker.

And to be honest, its just best to ignore the Welsh translation on signs, no one really reads them - not even the 1st lang Welsh read them (you'd be amazed by how many can speak and read English perfectly).

We have a number of regional variations, which can differ significantly and each variation claims to be true Welsh - and in Wales all sign translations are written in a single variation (and we don't know which one it is).

So we wonder why we have those translations in the first place when they can all be either wrong or right.

In English: I think it's stupid.
Yn Gymraeg: Dw'in meddwl bord yn dwp.

However, that sign has made my day :)

xXhayleyroxXx
02-06-10, 19:52
haha oh dear :p they'll probably replace it.

Rai
02-06-10, 20:13
Oopsy :p

It's one of my regrets that I never asked my grandad to teach me a little welsh.

Minty Mouth
02-06-10, 20:17
OMG, how stupid and funny.

That is pretty much what the Welsh language looks like :p

Minimus
02-06-10, 22:56
LOL fail.

IceColdLaraCroft
03-06-10, 00:34
I'll show you over sensitive in a minute, Heather! :tea:

*dies hair black and straightens fringe*

fringe UGH how racist!

TombRaiderFan.
03-06-10, 04:17
That's silly and funny. :p