PDA

View Full Version : What are the risks of buying a contact phone?

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 16:34
I really want to get an iPhone but can't afford to get a pay as you go one. I was looking at a 35 a month contract with O2 but won't be able to do it as I'm under 18. I asked my mum if she would put it in her name but she said no which I think is a bit unfair...I'm sure I'm not the only 16 year old in the world with a contract phone, in fact I know I'm not.

touchthesky
02-06-10, 16:37
Would it be your Mum paying for it? If it is then it's understandable..if not then hmm..maybe she's just worried you'd go over your limit for the month and end up with a massive bill?

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 16:38
It's me paying but in my mum's name. And I cant really go over as I'll get unlimited text and 600 minutes (and I never ring people so this is more than enough =])

touchthesky
02-06-10, 16:40
Hm, have you tried sitting down and finding out the reason because you might be able to set her mind at ease and then she'll be more likely to say yes?

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 16:43
I think she's scared that if I lose my job she wont be able to pay it, but I don't think I'll lose my job pretty soon and even if I do I'll have my EMA money :) My mum's not easy to talk to though she just shouts and says "I dont want to talk about it now!"

Mikky
02-06-10, 16:44
Do you need to an ID to get these contracts? If not, you can just tell them you're 18, unless you look really young. :p

Kelly Craftman
02-06-10, 16:49
The only risk is, over paying. If you use it more then you should your bill grows and it can get pricey

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 17:06
The only risk is, over paying. If you use it more then you should your bill grows and it can get pricey

But like I said, it has unlimited texts, and more than enough minutes :)

Kelly Craftman
02-06-10, 17:10
But like I said, it has unlimited texts, and more than enough minutes :)

Well thats all good. But if your anything like me, its easy to run out of texts and minutes. You just have to keep an eye on it. :)

Mystery-King
02-06-10, 17:35
I have the same issue with my mum. I'll try and remember the reasons...

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-06-10, 17:37
Your mothers probably don't want you to waste your money just to have status symbol.

igonge
02-06-10, 18:11
35 sheesh! Isn't that a bit expensive? I'm on a 15 a month contract with 400 texts, 100 minutes and unlimited internet with Virgin. And that's too much for me lol. I just wanted a shiny new blackberry lol

Rai
02-06-10, 18:21
My son is on a 10 a month contract in my name as he couldn't set up a direct debit in his name until he's 18 (according to Virgin). He pays me that amount and I pay via my bank. I wouldn't have allowed him a 35 contract as he wouldn't be able to pay that - and I can't either.

You need to figure out how much you think you'll be using the phone, how many texts and minutes etc, then find a contract that suits your needs, maybe giving yourself extra 'just in case'.

Catracoth
02-06-10, 18:23
Wouldn't this have been suitable for either the general cell phone thread or the iPhone thread?

Minty Mouth
02-06-10, 18:25
I really want to get an iPhone but can't afford to get a pay as you go one. I was looking at a 35 a month contract with O2 but won't be able to do it as I'm under 18. I asked my mum if she would put it in her name but she said no which I think is a bit unfair...I'm sure I'm not the only 16 year old in the world with a contract phone, in fact I know I'm not.

My mum would refuse this too :p Why do you need a Contract? Why doesn't a pay as you go phone suffice?

Lee croft
02-06-10, 18:25
Are'nt all phones "contact" phones? :p

Minty Mouth
02-06-10, 18:26
Are'nt all phones "contact" phones? :p

*rimshot*

har-de-har :pi:

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 18:40
My mum would refuse this too :p Why do you need a Contract? Why doesn't a pay as you go phone suffice?

Because I want an iPhone :) as those things cost a fortune on pay as you go :p

Minty Mouth
02-06-10, 18:41
Because I want an iPhone :) as those things cost a fortune on pay as you go :p

iPod touch plus Pay as you go phone combo, maybe :p That's what I have :D

jackles
02-06-10, 18:48
Ah the poor old maligned parents again. ;)

Well there may be many reasons why parents won't do it, their own credit rating for starters or the worry that something might go wrong because they are struggling to pay their own bills in the economic climate or having to bring up kids and pay for their clothes food etc.

Me, well I wouldn't do it either. My 18 year old has an iphone which he pays for in his name.

Sometimes in life we just have to wait for things....like adults do! :)

touchthesky
02-06-10, 18:51
25 a month will get you 100 minutes and unlimited texts if you don't phone folk that much..

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 19:12
25 a month will get you 100 minutes and unlimited texts if you don't phone folk that much..

Ooh wheres this?

Dark Lugia 2
02-06-10, 19:24
Tell your mum that it'll only be in her name, but youll be paying for it (you can have the company take payments from your bank account via direct debit). This is how I have my contract done, its in my dads name but I pay for it. Phone providers acknowledge and accept under 18's paying for their phones, but having it in their parents name.

Also you can tell your mum that you definately wont go over if you phone the provider and ask them to put a block on your account (set your credit limit to zero). Its easy to do, I did it because I went wayy over my contract in the first month. When you have a block set on, you cant make any calls/send any texts if you've used them all up.

Then again, maybe your mum said no because of the price, I wouldnt be allowed to have a 35 a month contract phone unless I had a job :p Mines like 15 a month

touchthesky
02-06-10, 19:28
Ooh wheres this?

Official o2 site :)

At the bottom right theres a thing that says iphone..and it gives you all the options.

~*~Chloe~*~
02-06-10, 19:47
Official o2 site :)

At the bottom right theres a thing that says iphone..and it gives you all the options.

Yeah but that's if you're prepared to buy around 100 for the actual phone. To get the phone for free you have to have a more expensive contract. :)

And yeah I have a job, and earn waaaay more than 35 a month :p

Simochka
02-06-10, 22:01
I have a contract phone

'While every payment should be 259 sek (around 26 euro) every month the first one was 781 sek (78 euro)

The next one was 649 sek (65 euro) when I had only called 165 sek. So it should have been 421 sek but was 649 anyway.

I don't recommend contract phone. I have to wait 21 months until the contract ends and I regret it as hell. My biggest mistake ever.

Dingaling
02-06-10, 22:23
Yeah but that's if you're prepared to buy around 100 for the actual phone. To get the phone for free you have to have a more expensive contract. :)

And yeah I have a job, and earn waaaay more than 35 a month :p

Well, you don't use much call time anyway.

The difference between the two contracts is 10. In 10 months that's 100 saved which would be the cost of the phone upfront. In the long term you'd be saving money by buying the iPhone at 100 with the 25 contract rather than the 35 contract per month with the free iPhone.

Though, in saying that, my maths is probably wrong and there might be better options to consider then if call time isn't that important to you. While the phone might cost money upfront, if you're getting a cheaper contract then in the long term you might be saving a lot of money. I'd check that out before going for an expensive contract and "free phone" because it could turn out to be more expensive for you.