PDA

View Full Version : Cumbrian Shootings-At least 12 dead

touchthesky
02-06-10, 18:45
Jesus :(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/audio/2010/jun/02/guardian-daily-podcast-cumbria-shootings

lara c. fan
02-06-10, 18:46
Last I heard, it was 8.

Damn...

Lemmie
02-06-10, 18:47
That's terrifying. :(

sandygrimm
And why do we need to know this? ...

]{eith
How awful. :(

Lara's Nemesis
02-06-10, 18:53
I've been following this today, truly horrific.

Makes me really angry that some lowlife just decides to take the lives of all these innocent people.

My thoughts are with all the families affected.

RIP

Alpharaider47
02-06-10, 18:54
That's terrible. This sort of stuff unfortunately seems to be quite popular as of late =/

Chocola teapot
02-06-10, 18:55
How terrifying. :|

:(

Kelly Craftman
02-06-10, 18:57

Harsh much?
People died. Just think how they're families are going to live without them? And just think if it was someone from your family..

...Anyway, This is tragic :( My condolences to their families and may they RIP

jackles
02-06-10, 19:01

Because in the UK such events are rare and therefore newsworthy to quite a few of us.

Apparently the police are investigating 30 crime scenes, there are 12 dead plus the killer and 25 in hospital.

Mad Tony
02-06-10, 19:04
And why do we need to know this? ...Because it's quite big news. Not interested? Don't post.

Sad to hear so many people died. My condolences go out to all the families.

I would say this will lead to further tightening of our already ridiculously tight gun laws but that's not possible. Perhaps we'll see a reversal lol?

remote91
02-06-10, 19:09
So unusual for something like this to happen in the UK :(

igonge
02-06-10, 19:12
Oh my. That's quite scary. :(

Rai
02-06-10, 19:18
Just awful. My condolences go to the families who've lost loved ones. :(

lararoxs
02-06-10, 21:42
It's been awful! We were under 'lock down' for a few hours, after being told not to go out and stay inside because he was coming towards us. Roads were closed, armed police everywhere, people paniced and talking etc. All I can say is thank god it's all over, if he hadn't ended it when he did there could have quite easily been a lot more hurt or killed.

Yet again Cumbria's on the map for something terrible.

My condolences to all the family and friends of those killed and injured. I'm anxiously waiting for them to release names as I'm hoping there is no one I know hurt, so far we only know two names.

larson n natla
02-06-10, 21:45
Such a terrible thing :(

Smog
02-06-10, 21:47
More or less terrifying than the self-professed Crossbow Cannibal? The papers will of course have a field day tomorrow. The more coverage this kind of stuff gets, the more likely it is that it'll happen again.

Bonez
02-06-10, 21:50

Some people are so rude on here - seriously just get out of this thread, your comments are not needed.

I'm so shocked with whats happened... it doesn't seem true!

RIP to everyone who died. Thoughts are with their families. :(

]{eith
02-06-10, 21:54
It's been awful! We were under 'lock down' for a few hours, after being told not to go out and stay inside because he was coming towards us. Roads were closed, armed police everywhere, people paniced and talking etc. All I can say is thank god it's all over, if he hadn't ended it when he did there could have quite easily been a lot more hurt or killed.

My condolences to all the family and friends of those killed and injured. I'm anxiously waiting for them to release names as I'm hoping there is no one I know hurt, so far we only know two names.

Good to hear that you're safe. :hug: What an awful tragedy.

RunrigNutter
02-06-10, 22:04

Excuse me, what a rude post. People died, assuming you know what being dead is. If it was your family member, would you be happy?

If you dont like the thread, do not post

What a tragic day RIP to the victims :(

Underworld2008
02-06-10, 22:08
if people have NOTHING to say, don't post :@

Oh my, last time i saw it on the news, it was 5 people :'( This is awful. We're all truely shocked in my house. Its terrifying thinking you can go out in the street on a normal day, and just get shot by some sick twisted mad man. I am resisiting the urge to say some awful stuff about that guy.

Shooting himself? Ha. COWARD. I hope he is punished in hell more than the justice system could ever do to him.

touchthesky
02-06-10, 22:37

Oh dear, honey. I am so glad you're safe.

Draco
02-06-10, 23:34
Shooting himself? Ha. COWARD. I hope he is punished in hell more than the justice system could ever do to him.

Shooting himself was already more punishment than the UK justice system could ever do to him.

Glašon
02-06-10, 23:42
Because in the UK such events are rare and therefore newsworthy to quite a few of us.

Apparently the police are investigating 30 crime scenes, there are 12 dead plus the killer and 25 in hospital.

:eek: Oh my goodness! That's really horrid! :(

:shock: Wow! I've got the greatest empathy for you right now :( :hug: I hope you and everyone you care about is perfectly fine! :(

Love2Raid
03-06-10, 00:01
What a horrible series of events! Very unfortunate for all his victims and their families and friends. Good thing he is no longer a threat to the society.

Draco
03-06-10, 00:08
Good thing he is no longer a threat to the society.

He is no longer a threat to society?

JonnyT
03-06-10, 00:15
I was wondering what ITV meant when they cancelled Corrie :o lol.

But when I found out on the 10 O'Clock news I was appauled. How can someone kill people they don't even know, just to end his own life afterwards. It's disgusting.

remote91
03-06-10, 00:20

Glad you're okay

Can't believe all the casualties. I'm scared of how this event might influence other mentally unstable people in our country to do similar things.

Love2Raid
03-06-10, 00:28
He is no longer a threat to society?

I believe he is dead now? So people in Cumbria no longer have to fear for their lives? Or is there something I missed?

remote91
03-06-10, 00:30
I believe he is dead now? So people in Cumbria no longer have to fear for their lives? Or is there something I missed?
I think his influence to others is a big enough threat

wantafanta
03-06-10, 00:34
I would say this will lead to further tightening of our already ridiculously tight gun laws but that's not possible. Perhaps we'll see a reversal lol?

Ridiculously tight gun laws? How many people died of gunshots in England last year? We here in the US, home of the NRA, lose about 25,000 to firearms each year.

remote91
03-06-10, 00:36
We do not need guns in England.

I'm open to police being allowed to have them but that's that.

Draco
03-06-10, 00:40
Ridiculously tight gun laws? How many people died of gunshots in England last year? We here in the US, home of the NRA, lose about 25,000 to firearms each year.

The vast majority of those are no loss at all.

Love2Raid
03-06-10, 00:41
I think his influence to others is a big enough threat

And how is that his fault? Seriously, people are responsible for their own actions and this isn't the first case of such an event. I don't think you have to fear for imitators. Not every crime that is reported in the news gets repeated by someone else.

remote91
03-06-10, 00:52
And how is that his fault?
Umm.. it's kinda his fault he went on a massacre.

Glašon
03-06-10, 01:40

We do not need guns in England.

I'm open to police being allowed to have them but that's that.

:tmb:

scion05
03-06-10, 01:43
The guy is better off dead. I feel sorry for the family's of his victims though, along with his family.

Saddening really.

TotallyGagaUK
03-06-10, 01:46
I live not that far from Whitehaven (about an hour and a half away) so on our local news and newspapers it's pretty much headline stuff. :(

So tragic...my thoughts go out to the families of those that were killed today. R.I.P XXX

AliMagic
03-06-10, 01:56
Dam this is terrible. There's so many stories about this event. And this kind of stuff is huge rarity in Yorkshire(?) areas. It's usually London that is home to these gun crimes and heck this crime is way worse IMO...

I feel so sorry for the families of the people who died. :( I'm not usually one to say this but I agree this guy is better off dead...

touchthesky
03-06-10, 08:32
I'm not even for hunters having guns..I hate hate hate hate hate the thought of ANYONE owning a gun, in fact.

-_-

Mad Tony
03-06-10, 08:49
According to the BBC he was a licensed gun holder. Really would not be surprised if they became totally and utterly illegal now. Knee jerk reactions are what our government do best.

Smog
03-06-10, 10:45
According to the BBC he was a licensed gun holder. Really would not be surprised if they became totally and utterly illegal now. Knee jerk reactions are what our government do best.

Has our government really even been around long enough for you to say that? Not that I'd really have much of an argument against making shotguns illegal, although I'm sure plenty of people do.

Mad Tony
03-06-10, 13:46
Has our government really even been around long enough for you to say that? Not that I'd really have much of an argument against making shotguns illegal, although I'm sure plenty of people do.Looks like I was probably wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10225885.stm

Sensible government is sensible.

tranniversary119
03-06-10, 13:49
Not like another shooting is surprising. Terrifying, and horrible? Yes.

RunrigNutter
03-06-10, 21:12
But it's so rare in the North, you expect it more in London then then the South or so I would've thought.

Mad Tony
03-06-10, 21:14
But it's so rare in the North, you expect it more in London then then the South or so I would've thought.Do you mean in the south?

I would expect shootings like this in any of the big cities really.

ultima espio
03-06-10, 21:21
I live in Cumbria, round those parts too. 7 Miles away from Whitehaven actually :p

Its scary that its happened here, just glad nobody I knew got hurt.

RunrigNutter
03-06-10, 21:23
No it's usually London that gets it, since it's the capital of the UK. But yes it happens in other cities, but not that often.

Mad Tony
03-06-10, 21:31
No it's usually London that gets it, since it's the capital of the UK. But yes it happens in other cities, but not that often.Well it is London a lot of the time but that's got nothing to do with London being the capital. :confused:

ultima espio
03-06-10, 21:34
Everything seems to be happening here, I mean, collapsing bridges last year, burning Hotels, School bus crashes, and now this:(

Lara's Nemesis
03-06-10, 21:39
The 3 worst mass shootings in recent times in the UK have all taken place in small communities.

Hungerford (1987)
Dunblane (1996)
Cumbria (2010)

I'm pretty sure all 3 of the killers had licenses for their weapons as well.

RunrigNutter
03-06-10, 21:39
No, but it happens in any city, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, but it seems the smaller areas, noting much happens

Mad Tony
03-06-10, 21:40
Everything seems to be happening here, I mean, collapsing bridges last year, burning Hotels, School bus crashes, and now this:(The shooting and flooding I'll admit is pretty unfortunate but it's not like vehicle crashes and fires don't happen everywhere else in the country.

touchthesky
03-06-10, 21:42
There was a video on the tele of the shootings one by one and who they were etc.

It's so scary, one man was just outside trimming in his garden then wham...:(

ultima espio
03-06-10, 21:44
The shooting and flooding I'll admit is pretty unfortunate but it's not like vehicle crashes and fires don't happen everywhere else in the country.

Yeah I know:p I was just saying :p

Its quite scary to think that you could be out minding your own business one day then bam you're dead:(

RunrigNutter
04-06-10, 04:36
I still cant believe it :(