PDA

View Full Version : Valve Delays Portal 2, Confirms E3 Surprise Is 'PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE'

Weemanply109
09-06-10, 20:38
Valve Delays Portal 2, Confirms E3 Surprise Is 'PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE' (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64185)

VALVE ANNOUNCES MAKING GAMES IS HARD
June 9, 2010 -- Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse

:vlol: Valve are soo ****ing funny!

But it puts all the Half Life 3 and Source Engine 2 rumours to rest.

igonge
09-06-10, 20:41
Shouldn't we have a valve general thread? Or is there already one?

Legend of Lara
09-06-10, 20:46
PS3? Please? D:

Agent 47
09-06-10, 20:52
PS3? Please? D:

Valve aka Gabe Newell hates the PS3. i suppose you can dream though :D

jamieoliver22
09-06-10, 20:59
PS3? Please? D:

No thanks. :p

trlestew
09-06-10, 22:33
No thanks. :p

:mad:

Why can they program for Mac, but not PS3?

spikejones
09-06-10, 22:42
PS3 has plenty of its own exclusives... jealous much?

matrix54
09-06-10, 22:48
The PS3 is very difficult to code for, so I hear. I also heard that sony doesn't really give out much help either.

this is all word of mouth.

trlestew
09-06-10, 22:56
PS3 has plenty of its own exclusives... jealous much?

Yes I am! :mad: :p And I dont want it to be exclusive to PS3.

But it's not exclusive. Since its on Microsoft platforms and an Apple Platform.
Also I cant upgrade for "Source Engine 2"
I thought the Mac used OpenGL libraries, the same libraries in which the PS3 uses (well, a console version of it) In which it wouldn't be as difficult to develop for. But meh...

Legend of Lara
09-06-10, 23:12
Valve aka Gabe Newell hates the PS3. i suppose you can dream though :D

I know. D:
But they're not even trying...

Agent 47
09-06-10, 23:25
I know. D:

Newell is the kind of bloke that basically has the attitude "do stuff my way or i aint playing". Too :cen: lazy to even try to adapt to PS3 is his problem. He prefers the easy "build on PC and port" BS :D

Funny though that his studio is the only holdout :vlol: everyone else adapted, unless you're Crystal Dynamics and simply outsource to Buzz Monkey because you're also too damn idle to adapt too :mad:

trlestew
09-06-10, 23:31
Yes :/
There's a difference between exclusive and laziness. I mean VALVe has amzaing quality PC games which were obviously optimized to work on a wide range of PC's, but I still think that not developing for PS3 is a flaw.
It's not 2006 anymore people. The PS3 counts as a a gaming platform now...

Sir Croft
10-06-10, 01:02
Portal is available for the PS3, so Portal 2 could be on PS3 too, who knows.

Gladous
10-06-10, 03:08
I'm kinda of glad nothing really anything Valve has made besides The Orange Box hasn't gone on the PS3 to be honest. :o

I just want this surprise to be well... surprising. :p

Last year, I was dumbstruck that they announced L4D2 and so I can't wait to see what they announce this year.

spikejones
10-06-10, 03:14
Yes I am! :mad: :p And I dont want it to be exclusive to PS3.

But it's not exclusive. Since its on Microsoft platforms and an Apple Platform.
Also I cant upgrade for "Source Engine 2"
I thought the Mac used OpenGL libraries, the same libraries in which the PS3 uses (well, a console version of it) In which it wouldn't be as difficult to develop for. But meh...

i think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that you wanted it to be PS3 exlusive, just upset that its not PS3 inclusive ;) But really, everyone here has a PC so its not that hard at all for anyone here to play source based games.

Ybbob
10-06-10, 03:27
So...they canceled a Portal 2 event to announce a Portal 2 surprise?

Okay.

trlestew
10-06-10, 09:46
i think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't implying that you wanted it to be PS3 exlusive, just upset that its not PS3 inclusive ;) But really, everyone here has a PC so its not that hard at all for anyone here to play source based games.

I would think the same, but the release date is 2011. And the rumors today of "Source Engine 2". My PC might be able to handle it.And I cant upgrade.

Weemanply109
10-06-10, 15:40
I know. D:

how do you know that?

Valve could be working on a Portal 2 on PS3 for all we know, which could be the reason for the delay! ;)

Valve don't hate the PS3.

Gabe says its very hard to code for and since he is a genius in gaming I think this is true plus, he's not the only one from a game development team to say that... There have been a few.

igonge
10-06-10, 15:49
Valve didn't port portal onto the PS3. EA did.

Legend of Lara
10-06-10, 16:11
how do you know that?

Valve could be working on a Portal 2 on PS3 for all we know, which could be the reason for the delay! ;)

Valve don't hate the PS3.

Gabe says its very hard to code for and since he is a genius in gaming I think this is true plus, he's not the only one from a game development team to say that... There have been a few.

Gabe has said that the PS3 is, and I quote, "a waste of time", and just refuses to even try working with it.

Which is why I don't like Valve.

Oh, and developers like Insomniac and Naughty Dog have churned out not just one but multiple excellent games for the PS3. That's being genius.

spikejones
11-06-10, 01:58
well, everyone has their preferred platform. I personally think the PC has it hands down in that even older DOS based games can be made to run on a modern PC via emulation (or by stumbling on the real McCoy somewhere and setting up a dual boot system). Older console based games will eventually be phased out when backwards compatibility support for CD/DVD/BD ROM based games is phased out for systems like the PS 1, X-Box, etc. Cartridge consoles like the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis were never capable of having support on the next generation console. If you wanted to replay a classic like duck hunt or Mario, you had to keep the console and pray it kept working. Sure there's emulators around for those older consoles that you can load up "ROM's" into and play on the PC, but its technically illegal to do so if you don't actually own the game. I still have old Doom II and Duke Nukem floppy's laying around somewhere that I'll still be able to play in the future without having to rely on archaic equipment or console backwards compatibility support. Yeah the PS3 is an amazing console with stellar graphics and no need to upgrade your PC, I'll give it that.. But it makes you wonder if 50 years from now people will still be able to play PS3 games without a PS3 console, while people would still be able to revisit good ol' DOS-based Doom.

Ashnod
16-06-10, 07:30
Just announced: Portal 2 on PS3. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/198935/valve_apologizes_for_sonybashing_announces_portal_ 2_for_ps3.html?tk=hp_blg)

igonge
16-06-10, 10:35
:ohn: :p