PDA

View Full Version : RB3 Keyboard shown in action plus Pro Mode detailed

TR FAN 18
10-06-10, 18:58
MN7m9Vj8yZE

By far the biggest addition to Rock Band 3 appears to be "Rock Band Pro," which will actually attempt to teach players real skills that could translate to real instruments. For starters, the "keyboard controller" being added to Rock Band 3 is in fact a fully functional 25-key MIDI keyboard, with a track that "looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes," according to project director Daniel Sussman.

As for guitars, Pro mode tosses away the five-colored gems and has a series of numbers flowing down the screen across six strings. And to play it, you'll apparently need one of two new optional guitar "controllers": one that's, again, a fully functional six-string Fender Squier Stratocaster, which "can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar," according to Harmonix PR rep John Drake. The other is a controller with "a field of buttons in each fret," according to USA Today, rather than the standard five buttons. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," senior designer Sylvain Dubrofsky says.

For drums, USA Today says that "three new cymbals are added," but it's unclear if these are somehow added to the standard Rock Band drums, or if this too will be a whole new drum set.

More info and the setlist so far: 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179752)

I have to say, the RB Pro mode sounds very interesting and the Keyboard looks fun to play. 25 keys! :eek:
However, this means several more instruments to clutter up your bedroom! :p

It's looking better than GH6 already (I'll still get that, of course!)

Love2Raid
10-06-10, 21:16
Wow, that actually sounds pretty cool!

I heard about another game that will feature a 6-string as well. I guess that one is doomed to fail now, can't beat with a keytar. :D

Alex Fly
11-06-10, 09:41
This undoubtedly look very interesting.

At first I was tempted to get the new challenger to the two big franchises Rock Band and Guitar Hero : Power Gig Rise of the Sixstring, because it was featuring a real guitar, but I wasn't expecting Rock Band to unveil the same genre of guitar to be honest, especially after having seen the new Guitar Hero guitar, still similar in term of functionality to their previous gear.

Other than that the keyboard doesn't really impress me, but I think it's more because that I have a real keyboard at home. :D

So yes effectively, Guitar Hero 6 looks a little bit pale compared to Rock Band 3 and Power Gig, despite the great tracklist of the game.

I still don't know which bundle I'll get but for the moment even if I'm still a little bit more attracted by Power Gig (and the compatibility with all the gear and all the musical game of the same genre is confirmed). The price might do the difference tho... ;)

interstellardave
11-06-10, 10:51
What Rock Band continues to have in it's favor, though, is that all the songs you have from previous games and all DLC will be compatible! As they specifically state they honor the fact that fans have spent a lot of money on equipment and songs already... are you listening, Guitar Hero?!

TR FAN 18
11-06-10, 11:13
Pictures of the new instruments here: http://www.ripten.com/2010/06/11/a-look-at-rock-band-3s-new-instruments/?nggpage=2

There's a controller that has 17 buttons on each fret making that 102 instead of 5!
Also, the other controller has ACTUAL strings and looks like a REAL guitar!

Alex Fly
11-06-10, 17:20
I've just read that they have created a little thing to be able connect your own guitar or keyboard via a midi connexion to be played in the game. I could play the game with my own big Yamaha keyboard. Now I'm really amazed ! :eek: