PDA

View Full Version : The "General DOOM Series" thread

spikejones
11-06-10, 23:40
I just got back into playing Doom again, only this time I'm playing "The Ultimate Doom" which available via steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/2280/) for $9.99. I like the work thats been done with the game over the years in terms of graphics and controllability. I can remember when I first tried DOOM out about 10 years ago that I could only control the game with the keyboard, with minimal mouse control for forward movement. The gzdoom port I'm playing right now has a lot of nice openGL customizations as well as modern control style play so that I can set up my controls for WASD movement and mouse look/firing/weapon switching. It really makes the game seem like a walk in the park as opposed to when I first played it with the awkward keyboard layout.

Here we have a FRAPS recording I made while making a futile attempt to clear the death room:
AFpSv3aEd4A

Punaxe
11-06-10, 23:57
Contact me in a few weeks time when I won't be as busy anymore, and we'll play a game of ZDaemon (http://zdaemon.org/).

I've been extremely busy so I haven't played in months, but DOOM has been the only game I've always come back to. I think I first seriously started in 1998 or 1999, and after some years grew to be the pretty much undefeated champion (http://phobos.no-ip.com:10080/~Kegetys/stat_kills.html) of the now-dead port csDoom. I still run my own, now six years old DOOM clan (http://dp.noctifer.net/) which in its glory days was one of the best around. Unfortunately the deathmatch scene has been littered with weapon mods, spammers and spawncampers, and the 1on1 scene has been slowly dying. ZDaemon's awesome CTF mode saves the day though.

GZDoom is great for developers, and some have done really nice things (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=144273), but personally I prefer to stick with the old feeling. I've never played it any other way than software rendered at 640x480. I still feel DOOM has one of the best weapon balances of any game (DOOM II at least - I can't be without my super shotgun), and the speed of the action is great - much faster than FPS games today. The relative simplicity of the game makes it free of unreasonable demands like pinpoint precision aim and therefore great for those who can't practice 24/7 but still like a high-level game every once in a while.

spikejones
12-06-10, 00:36
Nice, I'm assuming you went by punaxe on that server as well? Looks like you have the highest Kill : Death ratio of all, so not sure why they ranked you second when the first place guy died almost as much as he got kills. Looks to me like he just played more than you did? I personally think ranking should be based not just on kill count, but should factor in your kill:death ratio as well. In my books that would make you #1 by a far shot.

Paddy
12-06-10, 00:49
Doom 2 and 3 are awesome as is the original.
I cant wait for Doom 4. Finally a thread about decent classic games.

spikejones
12-06-10, 01:10
so what do you guys think of having a DOOM speed run competition or something like that? We'll set a difficulty level for the competition and we'd post our level stats for each level? Additional options can be chosen like "all secrets" "all kills" etc. (I suck at all secrets though).

q.q i keep getting owned at the end of the first chapter

Punaxe
12-06-10, 12:53
I've never been a big fan of speedrunning myself, but I'd probably join in if you organized it. Perhaps better to pick just one map at a time though, doing an entire episode would probably be a bit too much.

I'd prefer a multiplayer competition though. :p There are great 1on1 WADs out there, GothicDM (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=8221) from 1997 for example still being one of my favourites. ZDaemon has a few servers that can be configured freely online, although they are all in Europe.

Bellacima
12-06-10, 18:25
Awesome thread this is a great series. We should have a competition and see who can beat the game on ultra violence?.?:D

spikejones
12-06-10, 18:39
I usually play on "Hurt Me Plenty" but I've been meaning to try "Nightmare" or w/e the highest setting is called. :mis:

Punaxe
12-06-10, 21:28
Fun fact: I met my previous girlfriend through DOOM. She was in clan OR, and while I was still an einzelgänger, the owner of clan OR was practically begging me to join too. He once added her to a conversation of ours, possibly to convince me, and that's what got the very first ball rolling. :p Also, her previous boyfriend was a member of OR, and her current boyfriend is in my clan, [dp]. :p

Anyway, another thing we could try is how far we can get with only one life and without saving. Last time I tried that in DOOM II, I died in map08.

spikejones
12-06-10, 21:46
My first death was in episode 2, after reconfiguring the controls of course because I didn't like the keyboard layout. Stupid falling ceiling :vlol:

anywho.. I've downloaded the Doomsday Engine and it comes with some multiplayer options where you can host your own game instead of using a dedicated server. Good for lan parties or internet parties alike (depending on U/L rate). It has Deathmatch and Co-op settings alike. I'll be testing out the server aspect of it this weekend hopefully by going over to my sisters house and loading it up on his laptop. The Doomsday engine is nice in that all you need to do is load the WAD file into it, and it does the rest.

Punaxe
12-06-10, 22:08
I don't like the Doomsday Engine for most of its features. 3D models and dynamic lighting just don't fit with the DOOM feel if you ask me. I would never use jDoom to play the original DOOM maps. A friend of mine is a great mapper though and designs maps specifically for such new engines. In that case it's fine of course. :p

I myself use Internet DOOM Explorer (http://doomutils.ucoz.com/), a front-end for ZDaemon, Skulltag and Odamex, three client/server ports. It also allows you to set-up your own servers as well as start single-player games.

spikejones
12-06-10, 22:41
I don't like the Doomsday Engine for most of its features. 3D models and dynamic lighting just don't fit with the DOOM feel if you ask me.

afaik you have to get a 3D model add on for that, and the lighting options can be tweaked. but oh well. I personally don't like the feel of the doomsday engine as much as I do the gzdoom engine. but i do like the dynamic lighting.

EDIT: I just checked out zdaemon and IDE. Maybe its just me, but the "survival" multiplayer mode just seems pointless. Its not really coop and its not PvP either. Its just a bunch of people on the same map. I'm a tad confused though.. whats the point of having a death match where the level ends when someone hits the exit?

Bellacima
13-06-10, 03:54
Well it stinks like if we do have a tournament or anything i cant play it on nightmare :(

spikejones
13-06-10, 04:22
thats alright, we could do Ultra-Violence. I don't think I've even seen anyone put a video on youtube of Nightmare difficulty.

side note: just completed all "original" doom levels, and on to the 4th episode of Ultimate doom :jmp: (that spider was waaay to easy to kill with the BFG 9000)

Punaxe
13-06-10, 10:20
(...) EDIT: I just checked out zdaemon and IDE. Maybe its just me, but the "survival" multiplayer mode just seems pointless. Its not really coop and its not PvP either. Its just a bunch of people on the same map. I'm a tad confused though.. whats the point of having a death match where the level ends when someone hits the exit?

Survival (http://www.skulltag.com/wiki/Game_Modes) actually is just coop, except when you die, you lose, and have to sit it out. I never play Skulltag myself though. The uncapped framerate makes it feel like I'm floating. (Yes I've gotten very picky over the years. :p)

Also, Nightmare mode has definitely been used for speedrunning. Unfortunately the "official" site that gathered all speedrunning results since 1994, doom2.net, has been down for some time, but here (http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/42424-attn-compet-n-incoming-results/) is still a list of some post-2005 entries. No demos available unfortunately since they were hosted on doom2.net.

Bellacima
14-06-10, 00:46
thats alright, we could do Ultra-Violence. I don't think I've even seen anyone put a video on youtube of Nightmare difficulty.

side note: just completed all "original" doom levels, and on to the 4th episode of Ultimate doom :jmp: (that spider was waaay to easy to kill with the BFG 9000)

Ahh good good. Do you guys have Doom II and Final Doom as well?? I only carry these games for the PSX i wish i owned them for the computer. But whenever you fellas wanna do this let me know doom is one of my favorites and we will have to take pics of each level to see our progress and such.

spikejones
14-06-10, 01:45
yeah i have Doom II, but not Final Doom.

Bellacima
14-06-10, 14:55
yeah i have Doom II, but not Final Doom.

Well i think its better if we dont do Final Doom anyways for 1 reason they cut out alot of the big levels in the psx version so i wouldnt get to play every single level. But i also believe they did that on Doom II but it wasnt that many levels. But im ready when you guys are just let me know when you wanna get this started! :D

spikejones
14-06-10, 20:39
We'll give Punaxe some time to get un-busy, and I'll have to do a run through of it before I try to do a competition on Doom II.

Bellacima
15-06-10, 03:59
We'll give Punaxe some time to get un-busy, and I'll have to do a run through of it before I try to do a competition on Doom II.

Haha i agree to that im going for it right now! :)

Paddy
19-06-10, 12:32
Doom 2 is my favourite of the original games.
Those bloody hell knights in numbers **** me off :p

Bellacima
20-06-10, 22:34
Haha i went for it on ultra violence on doom 2 and i got pretty far but its challenging.

Punaxe
23-06-10, 11:45
I'm not exactly free of duties yet, but if you wait much longer for me I'll be away to do other stuff again. :p I think now would be the time to start that competition... What did you have in mind exactly?

Bellacima
23-06-10, 16:57
I'm not exactly free of duties yet, but if you wait much longer for me I'll be away to do other stuff again. :p I think now would be the time to start that competition... What did you have in mind exactly?

Well if we do this there are differences between ultimate doom and doom II for ps1/pc. Like they cut out levels I believe the majority of them are in doom 1 and 2 for ps1. But i want to see if we all can beat Ultimate Doom and Doom II on Ultra Violence. Its not so much as a race because it dont record that on the ps1 version. Does that sound alright?

spikejones
23-06-10, 19:29
I'm still working on the chapter "Thy Flesh Consumed" on HMP mode. After having ripped through the first 3 chapters, the last is definitely more challenging. Especially starting out with just a handgun on the first level of the last chapter o.0

Punaxe
24-06-10, 00:01
So you're suggesting a speedrun of the entire game on UV? What game, actually? I would prefer DOOM II over Ultimate DOOM.

And of course it's gotta be a race. :p Maybe you can just take pictures of the screen after each map, showing your time.

Bellacima
24-06-10, 16:06
So you're suggesting a speedrun of the entire game on UV? What game, actually? I would prefer DOOM II over Ultimate DOOM.

And of course it's gotta be a race. :p Maybe you can just take pictures of the screen after each map, showing your time.

Thats the problem it dont show the time on the PS1 version of doom after you complete a level. It just shows Kills Items and Secrets thats it.

Punaxe
24-06-10, 20:43
Thats the problem it dont show the time on the PS1 version of doom after you complete a level. It just shows Kills Items and Secrets thats it.

Oh, that's pretty lame. Maybe your grandmother can operate a stopwatch for you while you gruesomely slaughter your way through hell?

Bellacima
26-06-10, 05:53
Oh, that's pretty lame. Maybe your grandmother can operate a stopwatch for you while you gruesomely slaughter your way through hell?

Hahaha thank god ipods have stopwatches.

spikejones
26-06-10, 05:57
Hahaha thank god ipods have stopwatches.

Less QQ moar Pew Pew!!

I'll run a couple levels or so tomorrow and post some end level stats. Haven't touched Doom 2 as of yet though so don't expect any fast times lol.

Bellacima
26-06-10, 15:05
Less QQ moar Pew Pew!!

I'll run a couple levels or so tomorrow and post some end level stats. Haven't touched Doom 2 as of yet though so don't expect any fast times lol.

Yeah same here ill be doin ultimate doom and doom II. Im mostly going for secrets/kills and somewhat time.

Punaxe
26-06-10, 19:59
So what are the rules? 100% kill? Secrets? Or just time?

I propose 100% kill and 100% secrets, and then sort by time... I think those are the generally used rules.

Bellacima
27-06-10, 01:35
So what are the rules? 100% kill? Secrets? Or just time?

I propose 100% kill and 100% secrets, and then sort by time... I think those are the generally used rules.

Lets try and go for 100% kills items and secrets. Do you still want me to time myself?

Punaxe
27-06-10, 11:01
I would leave out the items. It's not used in "official" speedruns (only 100% kills and secrets) and it's somewhat annoying: you can't pick up ammo if you've already reached the maximum.

Also, we're doing this on Ultra Violence right?

Bellacima
28-06-10, 01:09
I would leave out the items. It's not used in "official" speedruns (only 100% kills and secrets) and it's somewhat annoying: you can't pick up ammo if you've already reached the maximum.

Also, we're doing this on Ultra Violence right?

That sounds good to me. And yes Ultra Violence. Lets the game begin!:D"

Good Luck!

Punaxe
08-07-10, 23:08
Well, I had planned for my first post to contain at least 10 maps or so, but I'm having difficulty finding the time to really sit down for it. Not to have this thread disappear into oblivion however, I thought I'd post what I have so far... Only a few trials in the first two maps. Not much, but hopefully enough for an initial comparison. :p

DOOM II, Ultra Violence.
Map01: 0:55
http://files.noctifer.net/doom2speedrun/map01_0_55.png

Map02: 1:39
http://files.noctifer.net/doom2speedrun/map02_1_39.png

Bellacima
12-07-10, 17:03
Punaxe take your time we got all our lives to complete this haha. Im going to post my on photobucket and post a link on here because i forgot how to post pictures on here.