PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Horror/ survival games?

larafan25
20-06-10, 01:29
So it's summer now...for me at least, and I am totally in the mood for a survival horror game or something along those lines. I've only played one true horror game and I didn't even finish the first level. I've been searching around and I don't know what is good for my standards.

I generally like...

-lots of items to use
-not too slow movements
-Possibly playing as a female character (this one isn't very important)

Anyone got any ideas?:)

edit: I should mention I have played Resident Evil 4 and 5 as well as Silent Hill origins.:)

Also I am playing on PS3 or PS2.:)

Gladous
20-06-10, 01:31
Definitely Resident Evil 1-3 (maybe 4 but it wasn't the best), Silent Hill 1-4, and Alan Wake. :D

larafan25
20-06-10, 01:36
Definitely Resident Evil 1-3 (maybe 4 but it wasn't the best), Silent Hill 1-4, and Alan Wake. :D

Good ideas...except Alan Wake...I am playing on PS3 or PS2.:)

Gladous
20-06-10, 01:38
Good ideas...except Alan Wake...I am playing on PS3 or PS2.:)

Oh! XD

Well, try Resident Evil 1-3. They're brilliant! :D

larafan25
20-06-10, 01:41
Oh! XD

Well, try Resident Evil 1-3. They're brilliant! :D

How actiony are they?

Because the ones I played felt alot like 3rd person shooters. I need something with almost a puzzle solving element...or mystery...:/

I suck at knowing what I want. I need it for my amusement as well as inspiration for a game I am creating which I want to add some survival horror aspects too.:)

Carbonek_0051
20-06-10, 01:50
Silent Hill 1-3
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
RE1-3
RE: Code Veronica
Alone in the Dark (PS3 version)

:)

larafan25
20-06-10, 01:52
Silent Hill 1-3
Silent Hill Origins
Silent Hill Homecoming
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
RE1-3
RE: Code Veronica
Alone in the Dark (PS3 version)

:)

I am going to heck these out, thanks!:D

edit: Watched some Alone in the Dark gameplay and it looks great, lots of items and the ability to combine them as well as CARS!:D

MangelinaJolie
20-06-10, 02:22
I have not played it personally but I often read Siren for the PS2 as a suggestion. From what I have seen it looks worth the time. :)

Mikky
20-06-10, 02:50
Anything Silent Hill, they are freaking fantastic! :D Forbidden Siren aswell, it's hard but it's really scary! :cln:

ozzman
20-06-10, 02:54
Resident Evil Remake [Wii and Gamecube]
Dead Rising [360 and Wii]

jarekhanzelka
20-06-10, 08:08
Silent Hill 1-4, Resident Evil 1-3; Code Veronica X; 0, Blair Witch vol. 1: Rustin Parr, The Thing, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Cold Fear...

TombRaiderFan.
20-06-10, 08:09
This one doesn't come out until August, but I though you might want to check it out anyways, I know I will. :D

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
OWHBlDCvhkg

Carbonek_0051
20-06-10, 08:19
Guys, larafan25 already said he plays on PS2 & PS3. :o

BlueJ97
20-06-10, 08:31
haunting ground :)

Survival
20-06-10, 08:43
PS1

Resident Evil 1,2,3
Silent Hill 1
Clock Tower
Koudelka
Parasite Eve 1,2
Dino Crisis 1
HellNight

PS2

Forbidden Siren 1,2
Project Zero / Fatal Frame 1,2,3
The Thing
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Only PAL for upgraded PS2 version otherwise PSX one is fine)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Silent Hill 2,3,4,0, Shattered Memories
Haunting Ground / Demento
Cold Fear
Extermination

PS3

Siren: Blood Curse
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Alone in the Dark
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Dead Space

Horror themed FPS for PS3...

Bioshock 1,2
Clive Barkerīs Jericho
F.E.A.R. 1,2

The bold ones are strongly recommended :).

NRO.
20-06-10, 09:10
Have you tried Fatal Frame series?

It's not much about blood and gore tough.

illuminati30
20-06-10, 09:49
Fatal Frame 2 is possibly the scariest game I have ever played!

Jo269976
20-06-10, 12:08
I generally like...

-lots of items to use
-not too slow movements
-Possibly playing as a female character (this one isn't very important)

Anyone got any ideas?:)

edit: I should mention I have played Resident Evil 4 and 5 as well as Silent Hill origins.:)

Also I am playing on PS3 or PS2.:)

Well judging from what you like best in Survival Horror, with the game systems you have, I'd suggest:

Resident Evil Outbreak
Resident Evil Outbreak: File 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Silent Hill 3
Clock Tower 3
Haunting Ground

However, if you're still willing to play PS1 games, these include all those listed above:

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Clock Tower
Parasite Eve II (Horror, Action, RPG)

Those are all the ones I can think of thus far, that I've enjoyed who include female protagonists, lots of items and not too slow movements (although the very first Resident Evil, might not be for you, the controls are very tank).

James_Rutland
20-06-10, 13:49
Resident Evil 3. The game feels like the fastest and most fluid of the originals, there is plenty of puzzles, the scare factor is there even today, and the main character is a female. :) The main focus is getting out of the city, but something stands in your way and it will hunt you down as much as it can throughout the game. Between that are lots of puzzles too. :wve:

larafan25
20-06-10, 13:50
Holly crap guys so many to choose from, thanks!:D

I think I can actually play on PC too because I got a new laptop which can handle current gen games. I just need to plug in a controller.:)

Edit: WOW that amnesia game look scary, I couldn't play it in first person as I might have a heart attack.D:

seven_of_nine
20-06-10, 14:00

I have played 1 and 2. in the UK they are called Project Zero and they are really the scariest games... :yik:

you don't have any guns, just a "magic" camera (it is actually good) to capture spirits in.

NRO.
20-06-10, 15:12

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

vcn2sT-eTyc

Evan C.
20-06-10, 16:09
Rule of Rose,there is not best Horror/Survival game.
PS2 exclusive,though.

spikejones
20-06-10, 16:29
doom.

tomblover
20-06-10, 17:17
Psh, you guys and your shooters!! :p (Heard that one before, aye?)

Clock Tower for the PS1. :cln:

Or Clock Tower ~The First Fear~ for SNES. :cln:

TombRaiderFan.
21-06-10, 02:49
Holly crap guys so many to choose from, thanks!:D

I think I can actually play on PC too because I got a new laptop which can handle current gen games. I just need to plug in a controller.:)

Edit: WOW that amnesia game look scary, I couldn't play it in first person as I might have a heart attack.D:

That's the point of a horror game! :vlol:

But I'm the same as you. I don't like not being able to see what's behind me.

Gladous
21-06-10, 02:50
Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

vcn2sT-eTyc

I don't get it. XD

SkyPuppy
21-06-10, 09:14
i don't find first person to be all that scary when it comes to games like this, but that's just me.

my suggestions:

Resident Evil 1 (i don't find the RE games to be scary, but again, that is just me... they're more like a make you jump-type thing). Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 and even 4, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3, Siren.

Dennis's Mom
21-06-10, 12:44
I don't get it. XD

The red lens means you cannot save as there is a hostile ghost in the room with you. You have to get rid of the ghost, then you can save.

Fatal Frame does everything right to scare the pants off you. Great atmosphere, sound, pacing. My heart always jumps every time that filament glows red and that heartbeat starts. :yik:

TombOfRaiders
21-06-10, 17:36
Haunting Ground. ;)

Atlantisfreak666
21-06-10, 18:52
- Silent Hill 3
- Haunting Ground
- Resident Evil 2 and 3
- The Path

Dan The Man
21-06-10, 18:54
Dead space...It has great tensiona nd paceing.It also has no cheap pop out scares.

Jo269976
21-06-10, 18:55
Dead space..It also has no cheap pop out scares.

LMAOOOOOO, right.

Dan The Man
21-06-10, 18:56
LMAOOOOOO, right.

What?

just*raidin*tomb
21-06-10, 18:57
I'm not really into the whole horror games thing. I think I might try it out though. I really wish I could play Alan Wake. It looks amazing.

Dennis's Mom
21-06-10, 23:32
You know, I wouldn't have picked myself out for the horror games thing, but it really wasn't that far a step from Tomb Raider. You spend a lot of time wandering around, exploring, finding stuff, solving puzzles and fighting the occasional enemy--at least in classic survival horror. I know there's more combat in the current mold.

Survival
22-06-10, 10:25
Dead space...It has great tensiona nd paceing.It also has no cheap pop out scares.

LMAOOOOOO, right.

What?

The whole game is build around cheap pop out scares. The creators even build the suspense mainly with the jump scares because they just keep coming.

illuminati30
22-06-10, 10:46
I forgot to mention Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube!

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 11:18
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

http://www.webbliworld.com/images/news/Princess_DS_resize_1.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

lunavixen
22-06-10, 11:32
what about resident evil code veronica i liked that, resident evil outbreak, other than that, the one s that others have suggested are good too